• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's really embarassing that May can lose so badly and the Tories/DUP will still almost definitely prop her up. Party before country and all that.

It's also really embarassing to see May try to reach across to the other parties to come to an agreement on Brexit. Now. Two years into negotiations.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I believe Labour has been weakened since then, since he has been much more clearly pro-brexit. At that point, people were still strongly projecting their remain hopes on Labour, especially young people.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I believe Labour has been weakened since then, since he has been much more clearly pro-brexit. At that point, people were still strongly projecting their remain hopes on Labour, especially young people.
Not really. Labour increased their votes last election by avoiding talking about Brexit at all. They sold young people on their policies, changing the conversation from "Who is doing Brexit best" to "Yeah but if they're both doing Brexit the same, who will run the country better?"
Single issue voters who were voting for Remain over any policies voted Lib Dem, if they could stomach the whole "their leader is a homophobe" part of it.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Unless a party is going to get 100+ majority, there is no point having a GE, as nothing will still get through

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Unless a party is going to get 100+ majority, there is no point having a GE, as nothing will still get through
I largely agree.
May should have had cross-party talks about how to handle Brexit from the start, not now as we're on the cliff edge. No party will get a majority and neither side's coalition partners will allow them to get their ideal Brexit deals through (Tories with DUP, who will never accept a backstop that keeps NI in the EU. Labour with SNP/Lib Dems who will never accept Brexit at all.)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah leave:remain gap is so narrow nobody can directly appeal to one side without worrying about alienating the other

Although that hasn't stopped the government trotting out 'will of the people' on a tiny gap on an advisory only referendum

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah leave:remain gap is so narrow nobody can directly appeal to one side without worrying about alienating the other

Although that hasn't stopped the government trotting out 'will of the people' on a tiny gap on an advisory only referendum
It's because both parties are willing to bet the Remain voters will vote for their party based on their other policies, whereas Leave voters will either go to UKIP or if only one of the big two come out against Brexit, that Leave voters will go to the other party. Which is honestly probably a pretty safe bet.

Remain voters don't really have an alternative other that voting for the party their politics align with. At least in Scotland we have the SNP, in England the closest you have is the Lib Dems, which will be finding it hard to convert Labour voters given their current leader.

If Lib Dems didn't keep moving from shit leader to shit leader they might actually have been able to swallow up a lot of the Remain voters and revive their party.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
It's fucking painful listening to the radio this morning - every middle of the road Tory or Labour MP that comes on (i.e. the majority of MP's in Parliament) just talks themselves into a corner - 'I don't want May's deal, I don't want no deal, but I do want to Brexit, but I don't know how/why/what for though, and I can't give you any actual ideas or opinion in case Remainers/Leavers/my party/my constituents hear and I get in trouble. k, thnx, bye xxxx'

I do feel like we're very fucked.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
A GE without a clear positioning on Brexit will result in the same situation as now. A party theoretically governing but not being able to get any Brexit option through the Parliament.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if Sinn Féin showed up just to vote against the government and then fucked off again right after

Ah, a man can dream

They don't need to, if things don't work out there'll probably be a reunified Ireland in my lifetime and they'll be back in the EU that way.

Oct 28, 2017

The SNP are the only party with a balls-out approach to admitting their position on this. They just can't do much apart from raise their voice due to how Westminster is set up.

Otherwise, we're stuck with the only two possibly electable parties, Labour and the Tories, being terrified about admitting that brexit is a failed project. Neither wants to say "Right, this isn't working, we have to end it" due to this mystical "will of the people" shite. ExCowboy has a perfect example of the snivelling that MP's are doing, scared of the chop for admitting facts. They're all careerist bastards.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
The SNP are the only party with a balls-out approach to admitting their position on this. They just can't do much apart from raise their voice due to how Westminster is set up.

Otherwise, we're stuck with the only two possibly electable parties, Labour and the Tories, being terrified about admitting that brexit is a failed project. Neither wants to say "Right, this isn't working, we have to end it" due to this mystical "will of the people" shite. ExCowboy has a perfect example of the snivelling that MP's are doing, scared of the chop for admitting facts. They're all careerist bastards.

I think you missed a word out - "I absolutely hate that the SNP just take control of Westminster. Country is stuck between Labour and the Tories forever with a Lib Dem sideshow every so often."

It was 5AM and I couldn't make sense of it :)

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017

• Wales and Scotland will be provided with an opportunity to become the eighth and ninth states respectively within the Commonwealth of Australia. Given recent history, no referendums will be allowed in formerly UK territory (see below), necessitating the vesting of this authority in the devolved parliaments of Wales and Scotland

Can't be any worse than being part of the UK...

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
David Davis, the former Brexit secretary, has told the Commons European scrutiny committee there would be "quite visible anger" among the public if the UK has not left the EU or begun a transition process to withdraw by April. He told the committee:

"I think we will see quite visible anger from the public at large, and not just those who might be counted as leavers.

I have met quite a lot of erstwhile remainers who have said to me 'I have changed my mind and next time I will vote leave' or 'Why is this proving such a difficult process?'

If they don't see a delivery on the vote of 2016, it will be really serious indeed."

did ye aye

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Labour can't really achieve anything with Brexit because it's not their policy. It's a Tory backbench in-fight taken to the public by a cowardly executive. Labour can do nothing about
David Davis, the former Brexit secretary, has told the Commons European scrutiny committee there would be "quite visible anger" among the public if the UK has not left the EU or begun a transition process to withdraw by April. He told the committee:

"I think we will see quite visible anger from the public at large, and not just those who might be counted as leavers.

I have met quite a lot of erstwhile remainers who have said to me 'I have changed my mind and next time I will vote leave' or 'Why is this proving such a difficult process?'

If they don't see a delivery on the vote of 2016, it will be really serious indeed."

did ye aye

Maybe they were just calling him out on his previous claims of the easiest deal in history and he can't understand the difference because he's too thick/pissed.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Corbyn is really a terrible terrible politician.

His refusal to talk to May is the story this morning, not her own intransigence, but Corbyn's. That's some going. Costs nothing to talk: write a letter like the SNP, LD, and PC did stating your opening position, go for a behind closed doors meeting, then come up and say "she's not willing to listen, we just got the same tired robotic soundbites and dusty old red lines" and the onus is on her the one who's deal was torpedoed. Corbyn has somehow managed to put the onus on him to drop his demands.

And frankly if you're going to speak to the likes of Hamas without any preconditions, you should be able to have a 10 minute sit down with even a UK PM as odious as May.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
The worst thing about this whole situation is that I don't know which thread to follow. This one or the one on etcera??? This makes brexit look like a piece of cake

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
MW7khfQ.jpg

Don't know how they do it, but once again the Tories have managed to spin the headlines around to Corbyn. It's all so hopelessly fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.