• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
First thing I think about when I think about dissident republicans is their love for freedom of movement and the single market...
Yeah, those dissident Republicans really have no love for the lack of a meaningful border between the South and the North, and they certainly don't love the gradual and natural integration across the border making a united Ireland more likely by the day.

Dissident Republicans have no ability to think long term strategically, and don't know any method other than terror to advance their aims. Politics is completely beyond them, which is why absolutely none of them have ever had successful careers as politicians pushing for closer European integration as a means for bringing a united Ireland closer to reality.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
First thing I think about when I think about dissident republicans is their love for freedom of movement and the single market...

It's nothing to do with Brexit.

Garbage hot takes are only for Twitter.

The open border and freedom of movement have made the two countries so closely entwined that's it's unification in all but name.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
It's not as if the concerns over potential unrest in Northern (and just generally) Ireland are one of the chief reasons in why the issue of the border - and in actual legislation, the backstop - has been one of the sticking points in how we leave the EU. Nope, not at all.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'll not take lectures from people in GB who fundamentally don't get Ireland. I'm from Derry so slightly better qualified to talk about why this happened.

https://twitter.com/eiresaoradh/status/1086730732817530880?s=21

This isn't because of Brexit. If you think it is you probably think the troubles was a religious conflict.
I had to do an elective class in the 80s to learn about the troubles growing up in England. I imagine it's even worse these days.

Like I think most people still think there was a lack of food during the potato famine.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I'll not take lectures from people in GB who fundamentally don't get Ireland. I'm from Derry so slightly better qualified to talk about why this happened.

https://twitter.com/eiresaoradh/status/1086730732817530880?s=21

This isn't because of Brexit. If you think it is you probably think the troubles was a religious conflict.

See, that narrows the strain of 'dissident republican' somewhat, and one can make the argument that they would have carried out this attack anyway - so fair enough. That said, we are still in a context where English rule is overriding Irish sentiment (more than usual anyway), and I still would not be surprised to see incidents like this influenced by that.

Also yes, I very much learned the Troubles weren't as simple as Catholic/Protestant divisions. Then again, part of the family were on the wrong side of things back in the 1920s, so some of that broader perspective has probably bled through. That and for some reason I remember reading, of all things, a romance novel set against that backdrop? Was weird.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
See, that narrows the strain of 'dissident republican' somewhat, and one can make the argument that they would have carried out this attack anyway - so fair enough. That said, we are still in a context where English rule is overriding Irish sentiment (more than usual anyway), and I still would not be surprised to see incidents like this influenced by that.

Also yes, I very much learned the Troubles weren't as simple as Catholic/Protestant divisions. Then again, part of the family were on the wrong side of things back in the 1920s, so some of that broader perspective has probably bled through. That and for some reason I remember reading, of all things, a romance novel set against that backdrop? Was weird.
I imagine there's a few, but I read one in school (England) called 'Across the Barricade' or something like that.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine there's a few, but I read one in school (England) called 'Across the Barricade' or something like that.

That sounds like it? It was something I stumbled across in primary school - any actual study of the Troubles came in secondary school (and mostly in relation to the changing status quo of the UK over the 20th century).

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like it? It was something I stumbled across in primary school - any actual study of the Troubles came in secondary school (and mostly in relation to the changing status quo of the UK over the 20th century).
There was a play I took that dealt with the imperialism in ireland and had an element of that. Wonder if that's what you read?

It's called Translations by Brian Friel.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
There was a play I took that dealt with the imperialism in ireland and had an element of that. Wonder if that's what you read?

It's called Translations by Brian Friel.

Nah, it was modern and urban (if a few decades out). Got me curious though so I'll give it a look.

And yeah, those nutbags are more active than I'd have suspected. Sorry for the derail.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
https://www./money/experts/article-6610789/How-guard-wealth-Comrade-Corbyn.html

Amazing article here.

Just, like, wow..

Let's not beat around the bush, it will be nothing but payback time for a duo who in the past have talked about introducing a tax on family assets, raising taxes on capital gains, squeezing the 'rich' and redistributing wealth to give the younger generation a better deal.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it was modern and urban (if a few decades out). Got me curious though so I'll give it a look.

And yeah, those nutbags are more active than I'd have suspected. Sorry for the derail.
Not to put aside the awful shit that dissident republicans do, there's still the fact that the DUP's stance on loyalist paramilitaries is rarely if ever touched upon by the British government or tabloids. Every year they have those fucking awful marches and eco-terrorist bornfire burnings of tyres because of a fight that happened over 300 years ago. All across NI there are places that are fuelled by drugs and gang violence and a lot of that is loyalist. The fact that our government is propped up by a party that has close, if unspoken ties to loyalism is sickening too.

Here's a good article on that: https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-on-paramilitary-groups-brought-into-question
And this too:

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
May changing the EU deal without informing the EU but talking publicly about it in the media:

It wont work. Stop trying to change a deal without talking with the other side UK. You cannot just push the deal into EU

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The U.K. is like that slimy boy you're seeing who is trying to talk you into sleeping with him despite all your natural instincts telling you to say no.

And that's what you say, yet it tries to belittle and bully you into thinking that you'll never be as good as you are with them. So you keep saying no, and they eventually they start calling you ugly. They start calling you fat, or threaten to start to picking away at your personal security (GFA) if you don't give them what they want. But you've got your 27 friends to back you up, so you say no and call it out. Instead they threaten to make things difficult for you, claiming they'll be fine without you or any future relationship.

The U.K. is an abusive ex.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like more posturing to be frank. They can't possibly keep coming up with "new" things to try and be so naive as to think they're feasible when ANYONE with even the smallest amount of knowledge about this situation (I'm using myself as the yardstick here) can see it's not going to be acceptable to basically everyone.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
She's lost the plot, can't we just impeach her LOL
We've tried (kind of) twice in the last few weeks. :(

EDIT: According to this Guardian article, there's talk of Labour finally putting something more concrete together with respect to their version of Brexit. Not backing a second referendum (and as much as I want to trust a second referendum to crush this issue once and for all via a huge remain majority), but:

Labour wants to prioritise pursuing its own version of Brexit – with a customs union, a close relationship to the single market, and stronger protections for workers' rights and environmental standards.

... nothing new in there but perhaps a more consistent, driven approach from the party?

Last edited:

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017

EDIT: According to this Guardian article, there's talk of Labour finally putting something more concrete together with respect to their version of Brexit. Not backing a second referendum (and as much as I want to trust a second referendum to crush this issue once and for all via a huge remain majority), but:

... nothing new in there but perhaps a more consistent, driven approach from the party?
Are they willing to accept keeping free movement to get that though? Because that's the price.

(I very much hope the answer is yes)

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting that's an actual red line for them as well. :(

Ugh.

Still, there is this about an appearance Kier Starmer made over the weekend:

He told an audience in London that left only two options: a Labour-style Brexit deal, which would involve "tradeoffs and compromises"; or a public vote.

Let's hope FoM is one of the possible compromises (even if it's basically a death-knell for support for a huge chunk of Brexit supporters).

Although...

Backers of a Norway-style "single market 2.0" claim that at least 75 Labour MPs are firmly opposed to a referendum and prefer a softer Brexit; while people's vote campaigners say they have two-thirds of the party's 256 MPs on board.

... perhaps we're further away from some kind of cohesive position from Labour than I'd hoped.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So basically the new plan is,

May announces in Parliament that she's ditching the Irish backstop altogether in an attempt to get her deal through a vote on January 29th, but then when the EU says no because that's not the agreement they signed then May and the Tories can go full in on blaming the EU for not honouring their agreement and so push on with No Deal.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
So basically the new plan is,

May announces in Parliament that she's ditching the Irish backstop altogether in an attempt to get her deal through a vote on January 29th, but then when the EU says no because that's not the agreement they signed then May and the Tories can go full in on blaming the EU for not honouring their agreement and so push on with No Deal.

That plan is far too complex and long-term for our current Prime Minister

Dan

Oct 25, 2017

Two years too late.

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
at this point the only thing keeping me from being an anxious wreck is somehow thinking that the worse it gets with the UK, the more likely Scottish Independence will become. But I also have to keep myself from thinking about the details of that too much, otherwise a whole different layer of anxiety descends down on me.

What I just really want to say is fuck the UK. Really, just fuck you guys. You messed it up. Austerity, Windrush, Brexit. And somehow this still warranted a "it'll be fine" handwave until very very very recently. Fuck you guys.

(Obviously not you lovely ERA people, unless you are middle class and up, and have cultural or political influence, then fuck you, of course)

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
May's strat now is to reiterate that her deal is the only one on the table and let Parliament sort itself out.

Either she's forced into something by Parliament, ending Brexit hell, or she wins out vs Parliament and gets her deal through because No Deal is just that bad.

In reality, a split in the Tories is now inevitable.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I think where May is right now is just defensive posture for post no-deal excuses. It was always her deal or no deal. Now it's a case of building up what to say after when the shit really hits the fan. We're fucked.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
May is pulling a Costanza right now

Look busy by seeming annoyed.

"We're serious, Labour and the SNP and Lib Dems are being naughty etc"

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am of the belief now that Brexit should never have just been a Tory "project" it should have been a cross party discussion/project from the moment the result landed as to working towards the end goal.

Not just a Brexit minister, but a proper working relationship between everyone in Parliament that shelves party support for the best interest of the Country, because that's actually what they are supposed to be doing isn't it? You know, looking after the best interests of the country.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone in government actually wanted Brexit (rather than just the support of Brexit voters), we'd have had a lot of indicative votes to determine the support for various red lines, and negotiate a deal on that basis. Both parties would drop the whip for these non-binding votes to get a clear picture of what parliament wants (or at least what it might acquiesce to).
It was always obvious that the GE result meant that no deal can ever pass unless it has unanimous Tory/DUP support or the opposition support it.
We're in the ridiculous situation where no-one even knows what sort of Brexit would be accepted by parliament. Is FoM a dealbreaker? Is CJEU regulatory oversight a dealbreaker? Do we need a customs union or does parliament think it can negotiate better deals? What The Fuck Do We Even Want!?

May's strategy has been to do try and bully her own party into submission and defend herself against leadership challenges. It's worked to keep her as leader, but failed miserably to deliver Brexit. Her total antipathy towards anyone non-Tory and especially Corbyn has led her into this mess and it's too late to fix it now.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
This bullshit just got put through my letterbox,

CwG9UJk.jpg

And here's the 'Circle of Deceit' they're talking about (Spoilered for size so you can expand and read it)
DrBlkMW.jpg

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
The metropolitan elite, unlike the very in-touch men of the people like Johnson, Gove, Davis and Nigel "I've got a pint in my hand' Farage.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Bit of a non-story, but some level of cross-party talks are resuming today.

Feels a bit empty considering the article also makes clear that:

Theresa May's [...] first priority is to reach out to hardline Tory Brexiters and the Democratic Unionist party over the issue of the Northern Ireland backstop.

The prime minister is expected to tell MPs in a statement later on Monday that she will make another attempt to renegotiate the Irish backstop with the EU27, rather than try to find a cross-party compromise. May intends to focus instead on winning over her own backbenchers and the DUP's 10 MPs.

Wonder if the talks are just laying the groundwork for buck passing when everything goes tits up.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently this https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2019/05/inside-europe-10-years-of-turmoil

has the following in:

[Donald] Tusk said: "I asked David Cameron, Why did you decide on this referendum. this — it's so dangerous. so even stupid. you know,' and. he told me - and I was really amazed and even shocked - that the only reason was his own party, [He told me] he felt really safe. because he thought at the same time that there's no risk of a referendum, because, his coalition partner. the Liberals [Liberal Democrats], would block this idea of a referendum. But then, surprisingly, he won and there was no coalition partner. So paradoxically David Cameron became the real victim of his own victory."

Status
Not open for further replies.