• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
This is going to end up like the climate change debate and trying to claim a link to individual weather events. I think Brexit can be the straw that breaks the back of weak companies like this airline without doing much, and healthy companies choosing to relocate because of a billion quids worth of tarrifs over the medium term.

Mogg types will deny any of it being related.
Sounds likely.

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
Yes, just like Brexit, as long as it stays undefined you can easily get a majority

Haha, exactly. What a meaningless poll. Without a new centre ground party actually existing with prospective candidates and clear policies on a range of matters (and not just on brexit as the vast majority are not single issue voters) it really doesn't tell us anything. And given the public have totally rejected the main centrist party the Lib Dems the past two elections and Labour did worse in its more centrist guise in the two previous pre-2017 general elections it's just absurd that people continue to claim there is a clamour for a new centrist party anyway. Voters aren't interested.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

Well they did it already over the car industry, blaming it on diesel and emission tests, as if already having problems wouldn't be compounded by erecting trade barriers.

I can see why people are worried that we aren't going to learn anything if Brexit goes badly, it will always be something else that can be blamed.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to end up like the climate change debate and trying to claim a link to individual weather events. I think Brexit can be the straw that breaks the back of weak companies like this airline without doing much, and healthy companies choosing to relocate because of a billion quids worth of tarrifs over the medium term.

Mogg types will deny any of it being related.

Yep. I'd agree with you there. Brexit may not put these airlines to the point of no return, but it will have a fatal effect, especially with the effect of the value of the pound.

I just read that FlyBe may have to shut too if this takeover plan involving Virgin doesn't come to fruition. It seems like the streamlined business model of the smaller carriers cannot handle the current uncertainty. While the likes of shitty RyanAir seem to be able to cope...

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's 'one' of the causes, but i am sure it'll get lumped in with the project fear rhetoric.

Would it have happened without Brexit? Who knows, but to think it's had no affect is ludicrous.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Just a little drop of uncertainty could tank a corporation on life-support.
Even if they were in deep shit before Brexit, the outlook and uncertainty with Brexit would make finding investors more difficult. Without Brexit, they would maybe have found some risk-taking investors, helping them stay afloat. Maybe the owners themselves didn't believe in a future for their company because of Brexit and pulled the rug. Some will probably have easier business prospectives elsewhere.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
59% of the population are open to voting for their idea of a centre party.

I could vote for a centre party that is anti-brexit and pro-nationalising the railways. Doubt that would happen though.

Would the Greens qualify for that? I know they're anti-Brexit (Or at least pro People's Vote) but not sure about nationalising railways.

Speaking of second referendum I got the email about the march which is scheduled to take place a few days before Brexit officially happens, I'll definitely go but I don't think the timing quite works due to the fact it'll be too late to do anything at that time.

Still, if Brexit goes ahead you can bet there will be a lot more protests before the year is over.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I'd agree with you there. Brexit may not put these airlines to the point of no return, but it will have a fatal effect, especially with the effect of the value of the pound.

I just read that FlyBe may have to shut too if this takeover plan involving Virgin doesn't come to fruition. It seems like the streamlined business model of the smaller carriers cannot handle the current uncertainty. While the likes of shitty RyanAir seem to be able to cope...
If Flybe winds up instead of selling to Virgin then you're going to see the south coast take a massive hit. Southampton airport especially

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
If Flybe winds up instead of selling to Virgin then you're going to see the south coast take a massive hit. Southampton airport especially

Well, it depends on what they intend to do, but absolutely, Flybe is huge for Southampton airport - my boss flies out of there on a constant basis - lets hope they just push to get capital in there and it be a domestic rebrand or something.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
I got the email about the march which is scheduled to take place a few days before Brexit officially happens, I'll definitely go but I don't think the timing quite works due to the fact it'll be too late to do anything at that time.

Still, if Brexit goes ahead you can bet there will be a lot more protests before the year is over.

Even primary school children know you need to cause disruption to have any impact. Wandering through central London on a pre-approved route on a Saturday with some shitty signs about tea, maybe a rude word about Boris Johnson isn't going to do anything.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Fuck those rich brexiteers.

Hiding wealth from the country should mean an automatic loss of titles, being knighted should mean you give everything to make the country better, whether that's money, or public service.

That's if we aren't going to scrap the stupid honours system altogether, it should mean something.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Even primary school children know you need to cause disruption to have any impact. Wandering through central London on a pre-approved route on a Saturday with some shitty signs about tea, maybe a rude word about Boris Johnson isn't going to do anything.

But right wingers and both-sides-ers on the internet told me blocking traffic was the worst sin a man can commit and would instantly turn the general population against your cause

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
But right wingers and both-sides-ers on the internet told me blocking traffic was the worst sin a man can commit and would instantly turn the general population against your cause

Shame that centrists are feeling politically 'wronged' for the first time with Brexit, or they might have achieved something more than getting Chuka a nice think tank job for the next decade.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile, Spain has entered its own election cycle. And, like clockwork...
guardian said:
A Spanish warship has ordered commercial vessels to leave British waters, Gibraltar's government said.

The warship's crew can be heard in an audio recording of a radio exchange on Sunday telling vessels anchored at the Rock to "leave Spanish territorial waters". Royal Navy boats were deployed in response to the incident.
(etc)
I love that the RN deployed an inflatable boat and a launch to shoo off a warship. I'm sure the Spanish were suitably impressed by this demonstration of naval might. (Obviously neither side was interested in an escalation, but it still amuses me)

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, Spain has entered its own election cycle. And, like clockwork...

I love that the RN deployed an inflatable boat and a launch to shoo off a warship. I'm sure the Spanish were suitably impressed by this demonstration of naval might. (Obviously neither side was interested in an escalation, but it still amuses me)

Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves!
Britons never, never, never shall be slaves.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
Apparently there's a press conference at 10am where 5+/- Labour MPs are announcing they are leaving / introducing their new party.

itshappening.gif I guess? I can only assume that the result of this is to turn their seats blue at the next election but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Apparently there's a press conference at 10am where 5+/- Labour MPs are announcing they are leaving / introducing their new party.

itshappening.gif I guess? I can only assume that the result of this is to turn their seats blue at the next election but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

While I don't necessarily agree with those leaving, it really is testament to the worst parts of our FPTP system that MPs are essentially bound to the major parties as splitting off or joining a smaller party is a death sentence at the next election 90% of the time.

It's a big part of the reason why "Party before Country" is so prevalent.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I go on holiday for two weeks, come back, and nothinghaschanged.gif

in 40 days time, if nothing else happens, this country goes over the cliff. Yet two weeks can pass without any meaningful change. Madness.

If they had any balls, or any principles, they would all trigger by-elections as part of resigning from Labour.

But they won't, because they know they would get beaten at the ballot box and consigned to the dustbin of history endlessly rolled out by the BBC as a talking head for hire.

Fuck the lot of them, and roll on the next GE.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Are there going to be any heavy heavy hitters in this gang of five? If its Chuka and four people nobody have heard of then i don't think anyone will care.

The SDP split hurt because they were big players.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
Resigning Labour MPs: Luciana Berger, Mike Gapes, Ann Coffey, Chris Leslie, Angela Smith, Chuka Umunna, Gavin Shuker

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Corbyn is massively unpopular within his own Parliamentary party and yet remains massively popular among voters.

I'd question whether or not the latter part is true. He exceeded expectations at the last GE but ultimately still lost and his stance on Brexit since then won't have done him any favours amongst his young base.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
The Independent Group's values according to Gavin Shuker:
- Britain is a great country
- Government should keep people safe
- "Not every problem in the world is created by the West"
- Work with other countries to solve shared problems
- Good public services come from strong economy
- Government is custodian of money from the public
- "Believe in the innate creativity of individuals"
- Government should remove barriers
- Strong democratic institutions of press, police, etc

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
The Independent Group's values according to Gavin Shukar:
- "the class system is good, actually"

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Chuka wanting a share of that delicious 7.4% Lib Dem vote.

The coward will never call a Streatham by-election because of how humiliating it would be for him.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
The Independent Group's values according to Gavin Shuker:

What a load of meaningless fluff.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I think Corbyn losing an election to May shows he's pretty unpopular with voters.

The tories had the world at their feet at the beginning of the campaign, a mixture of a disastrous start to the Tories campaign and Corbyn coming across as a seemingly normal politician, and not the red menace helped.

I don't think he can win outright due to his baggage, but that doesn't mean I disagree with him over most issues.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
To be fair both Corbyn and May are both scraping the bottom of the barrel in votes. Neither are popular or are offering anything different from the opposition on Brexit. This new party will possibly just give us another decade of Tory rule just like it did with Thatcher and the SDP/Labour split following Michael Foots election loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.