• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

There's moves afoot in Parliament to try and force May to ask for a long extension too, which given that that's what Parliament voted for, could be interesting.

Parliament votes no to no deal - government makes no moves to enact this

Parliament votes to not support mays deal - government tables it again anyway

Parliament votes for long extension and May says she will seek a long extension if a deal isn't reached by today - government asks for a short extension

At what point are there parliamentary safeguards to actually make the government deliver on any of this?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Parliament votes no to no deal - government makes no moves to enact this

Parliament votes to not support mays deal - government tables it again anyway

Parliament votes for long extension and May says she will seek a long extension if a deal isn't reached by today - government asks for a short extension

At what point are there parliamentary safeguards to actually make the government deliver on any of this?

Binding statutory changes are what's required. May treats Parliament in contempt on a daily basis, and goes back on her word to them all the time. She needs binding in law to stop her.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Oh Cmon, can we get some leaders with balls please, they say one thing then 10 mins later they are forced to say something else

Wait, so Labour want the debate about what to do with extension, rather than length of extension

Last edited:

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Labour should be backing this move unconditionally. Not only if "PM doesn't make a statement".

Corbyn needs to wake up and show some real leadership for once in his life. We are on the precipice of a certain no deal in May/June. Once we get a short extension it cannot be extended again due to European elections. Therefore, short extension means the cliff edge is real. May has ruled out revoking A50.

The ERG mentalists now know they can just hold out for no deal and have little threat to force them to back the deal.

Corbyn - wake up, work out what is going on and try to act like you have some comprehension of how critical this is.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
A short delay is a guarantee of a no deal Brexit. Perhaps this is what Corbyn wants? Or is he just a bit thick?

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Corbyn only wants a short extension so he can try and push "his" version of Brexit.

His "vision" is now impossible. To achieve it you need a negotiated withdrawal agreement. Which we have. The political declaration and its contents are meaningless as even if May agreed to Corbyn's vision and split her own party down the middle (which she won't) - May won't be PM for next phase.

So Corbyn is trying to push for something he cannot achieve.

Its madness. And he will take us down a no deal route.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
His "vision" is now impossible. To achieve it you need a negotiated withdrawal agreement. Which we have. The political declaration and its contents are meaningless as even if May agreed to Corbyn's vision and split her own party down the middle (which she won't) - May won't be PM for next phase.

So Corbyn is trying to push for something he cannot achieve.

Its madness. And he will take us down a no deal route.

I think you're very close to his state of mind, Zappy. It's complete madness.

EDIT: Urgent question to be placed in Parliament today from John Barron to ask Theresa May her no deal brexit preparations.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nobody can defend Corbyn now surely? The EU won't allow us to negotiate on CU/SM membership until we have left. Which means you need a WA with a backstop. By talking "short delay" all you do is push the ERG into rejecting the deal and pushing for the inevitable no deal Brexit. Corbyn probably wants this to force a GE. But like May he isn't acting for the good of the country, only his shambolic party.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was really the chance for Labour to show they are a credible alternative and so far they seem to be happy letting this go to No Deal and hoping they don't get the blame.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Wait, The Absolute Boy is tilting at windmills and pretending it's some noble mission? Ahhhh, plus ca change.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
At this point I wish everyone knew their fate already. Good, bad, eh, just some fucking certainty for you so you aren't left oblivious to what your life will be like in, uhm, less than ten days.

Its an embarrassment that the country, every member of the UK living in Europe and every European living in the UK has no idea yet what happens come March 30th. Even if somehow miraculously everything turns out okay, parliament should be flushed and replaced. Every single last MP.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The EU said yesterday that any extension would have to be for a reason and so far it looks like Corbyn is the only person asking to talk about something else, so what's the problem with that?

May's deal lost twice and unless something changes can't come back for a third vote. She won't quit or call an election, she won't revoke A50, there's no majority for a second ref and nobody wants no deal.

What other choses do we have then but to ask for an extension based on changing something about the deal?

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
"More specifically, McDonnell told me Labour would ask Brussels how long they think it'd take to negotiate Labour style deal, but he agreed 3 months seemed about right. "

Shouldn't Labour have already asked this like some many months ago? It's their default Brexit stance and they don't even know how long it takes to negotiate a deal? WTF!

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Omfg how delusional are these people

3 months wouldnt even be enough to organize a tea party with how disfunctional the UK parliament is right now.
also:

tenor.gif

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The EU said yesterday that any extension would have to be for a reason and so far it looks like Corbyn is the only person asking to talk about something else, so what's the problem with that?

May's deal lost twice and unless something changes can't come back for a third vote. She won't quit or call an election, she won't revoke A50, there's no majority for a second ref and nobody wants no deal.

What other choses do we have then but to ask for an extension based on changing something about the deal?

https://www.euronews.com/2019/03/13...s-are-over-says-michel-barnier-on-brexit-deal

The reason can't be to negotiate another deal.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017

The criticism is the length of the extension, if Labour think they can negotiate a deal in 3 months when they have no power and given all the difficulties of the current situation they deserved to be dragged and criticized.

I still don't understand who in the UK represents the 48%

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The criticism is the length of the extension, if Labour think they can negotiate a deal in 3 months when they have no power and given all the difficulties of the current situation they deserved to be dragged and criticized.

I still don't understand who in the UK represents the 48%
Well it does say they're going to ask if that's long enough so it doesn't sound like the 3 months is a fixed length, it really depends on if the EU think it's realistic. He did meet with EU leaders last month to set out this idea so they know what it's about already.

Also let's be honest it's not like May and her team were locked in a room for 2 years working on a deal. It was only 4 months between May's Chequers deal and her WA.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So Labour wants 3 months to renegotiate.

Honestly Labour are useless. Corbyn is living in some fantasy world when it comes to brexit.

Labour can't even agree among themselves what should happen next yet Corbyn thinks he can get a deal which Parliament will accept in 3 months. Not buying it at all.

Last edited:

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
May could end this at any moment by

1) revoking A50
2) agreeing to a confirmation vote on her deal
3) resigning and calling an election
4) agreeing to work with opposition MPs on changing the deal

She could do any of those thing right now but instead she just keeps giving in to the ERG who hate her and want her gone. It's madness.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Well it does say they're going to ask if that's long enough so it doesn't sound like the 3 months is a fixed length, it really depends on if the EU think it's realistic. He did meet with EU leaders last month to set out this idea so they know what it's about already.

Also let's be honest it's not like May and her team were locked in a room for 2 years working on a deal. It was only 4 months between May's Chequers deal and her WA.
Well I mean the whole proposition from an EU 27 perspective is completely ridiculous: what prospect does Labour have that it will form government in the very very near future that gives them a mandate to (re)negotiate a deal that has to be negotiated, approved and implemented in 3 months? I think a lot of people were hoping Labour could take a more responsible approach but given what's being reported there seems to be no indication, so people are dissapointed with them given that Corbyn and Labour at whole hasn't taken a serious approach to solving this mess. I don't think anyone really understands what the party's position on Brexit is and what they intend to do with a week to go.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
The UK partaking in EU elections just by a month would be Peak Omnishambles.

Somewhere in Brussels there are a bunch of civil servants and eurocrats crying into their desks.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It's peak Brexit to ask for an extension past the date that the EU had been saying over and over and over would require elections, but to think they wouldn't have to hold elections.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
May could end this at any moment by

1) revoking A50
2) agreeing to a confirmation vote on her deal
3) resigning and calling an election
4) agreeing to work with opposition MPs on changing the deal

She could do any of those thing right now but instead she just keeps giving in to the ERG who hate her and want her gone. It's madness.

I think she can't admit fault, her way or nothing, why does it need confirmed, I'm right.

It's that or she is in line to be more mega rich with Brexit and being a hateful bigot.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
That letter is an obscenity. She still acts like her deal wasn't slaughtered twice by historically large margins. It's insane.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I think she can't admit fault, her way or nothing, why does it need confirmed, I'm right.

It's that or she is in line to be more mega rich with Brexit and being a hateful bigot.
I read somewhere that May functions on a rather simplistic ethos: the rest of the world is wrong and that's what makes her right.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
"Hey, Theresa, what do you fancy for dinner tonight?"

"Let me be very clear. The British people took a decision to leave the European Union. As far as the Government are concerned, we want to continue to work to leave the European Union. That is what we will deliver for the people on the vote in the referendum. We will continue to work to deliver leaving the European Union, but to deliver leaving the European Union with a good deal."

"Um, I don't think you understood me. I meant was there anything particular you want cooking for dinner?"

"Let me say that I want to leave the European Union with a good deal. I believe we have a good deal. Yes, no deal is better than a bad deal, but I have been working for us to leave on 29 March and leave with a good deal."

"No no, Theresa. Please. What would you like for dinner?"

"I have been working for leaving the EU with a deal. Businesses and business organisations have been clear across the UK that they want MPs to back the deal. Yes, businesses worry about the uncertainty of Brexit, but there is one thing they worry about more, and that is a Corbyn Government."

"THERESA. WHAT. WOULD. YOU. LIKE. FOR. DINNER."

"You can only take no deal off the table by doing one of two things: either revoke article 50, which means betraying the vote of the referendum; or agree a deal. If the leader of the opposition wants to take no deal off the table, he should have voted for the deal."

"...so fish and chips, then?"

Status
Not open for further replies.