• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure things will get easier when we deal with the US, lol!

If their point was to get a good for the UK then yes but Fox and the like will sell us out big time for themselves and that's easy.

I hope we remain, this is just showing how good the EU are, like then or loathe them, the big stick with some flowers wins.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Interesting from the Torygraph:

_106131275_telegraph.jpg

Not seen the express yet.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Ugh... They're really giving free shots here. "If you don't back the deal, go to hell" basically. The deal, they already know is dead in the water. I get it, the conciliatory tone is over and done with, and I liked the original statement about backing Brexit with no plan, but saying that those who refuse to accept a deal that is hated by literally everyone, should be in hell too? Ridiculous. No one, outside of May and the EU, like this deal.

I think you are reading a little too far into it. They're saying anyone promoting No Deal without any alternative plan deserves a place in hell - rejecting Mays plan isn't doing this (well, unless you are the ERG), as any normal PM would realise their plan is unwinnable and try to renegotiate. Unfortunately we have May instead

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
I mean, the UK literally has no trade negotiators. For the last 40 years our trade negotiators have been in Brussels. It would actually be *worse* for Britain than what's currently happening, astonishingly.

It's also amusing to see how a group of 27 seperate countries with seperate needs and wants managed to stick together and completely outplay Britain.
You take Honda, I take that pharmaceutical company, Jimmy you can take that bank... it's like an open buffet.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I don't believe we will see a no-deal now, as someone flying into Europe on the 15th April, I could have done without that 12th April deadline, I have to say!

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
So if MV3 fails and May resigns (haha I guess) then what? The EU made it quite clear that the WA is not up for negotiation, so what would a change in UK leadership do to alter the current situation? Or is the EU's intention to keep a perpetual status of A50 until the UK finally relents to staying in the EU?
The EU is willing to renegotiate if the conditions change. This is the best deal under the UK red lines. But give up a red line and you get a better deal because it doesn't threaten the EU integration anymore.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Well i guess May is gonna fall next week and we'll end up with some kind of EEA brexit pushed by remain tories/labour and the rest of the opposition.

Dumbass tory brexiteers overplayed their hand and lost.

Last edited:

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I sense new talking points being developed right now

Well, if that gives you pause, imagine trade negotiations under No Deal.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
May should be on her knees, defeated next week. The delay to 12th April means that might not be the case. She is still saying the same stuff right now in her Q&A as she was saying before.

I agree that she didn't get what she wanted but the EU went further to help her and the UK than what she thought would happen. The EU still wants her deal to pass.

The EU have completely undermined her and killed off the pathetic game of brinkmanship she intended to play with parliament as they have no faith in her delivering her deal. There is no majority in parliament for no deal and the EU have given parliament the time and options to completely take it off the table even if May is against it.

The prospect of a softer Brexit or a public vote have definitely increased with this new development. I've always felt there is probably a majority in parliament for something close to Labour's version of Brexit as long as the government doesn't whip against it. That could probably be implemented with the existing withdrawal agreement and a change to the political declaration and the EU would be open to it.

I'd much rather see that put to a public vote with remain on the ballot sheet but it is a much better outcome than no deal.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
I sense new talking points being developed right now

Well, if that gives you pause, imagine trade negotiations under No Deal.

"Politicians asking important questions are so mean!"
Who is this Ian Martin? Another rich ass with money riding on crashing the UK?

Edit: Sorry. Not contributing much of anything other than venting my frustrations. 😩

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I signed up all of my Brexit voting relatives to that petition for the lulz. I hope their pensions crash into the floor, they won't even be able to buy their garbage readymeals (made in the Netherlands) from LIDL (that German supermarket), let alone something healthy like airfreighted fruit (from Spain)...

Let them eat the shit they voted for.
Don't you dare chat shit about Lidl, mate

I'm more loyal to fucking Lidl than I am to being British.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Well i guess May is gonna fall next week and we'll end up with some kind of EEA brexit pushed by remain tories/labour and the rest of the opposition.

Dumbass tory brexiteers overplayed their hand and lost.

Ian Dunt said something a few weeks ago about how the hard brexiteers were going to wind up wishing they'd compromised sooner, and I kinda didn't believe him at the time in my pessimism.

But now revoking A50 is now something being fully covered on mainstream media outlets, with politicians openly or quietly voicing their support - its a complete turnaround from even a week ago.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
But the Crash Out Cult are already arguing that the EU27 are capitulating because we can hold No Deal over their heads.

Which could well be true. But if it is, what a fucking awful position to take.

"Ha ha! We can exploit the risk of fucking over businesses and destabilising the Northern Irish border to get what we want!"

These people have no idea how they are objectively the villains in this.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Coincidentally, 107 years ago, the Titanic was also leaving Europe on April 12th.

I'll just let you all think about that.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
I often think of Brexit as half the passengers on the titanic voting to plough full speed into the ice field and ignoring all warnings to the contrary, so that's quite fitting.

Then when there's an iceberg actually sighted dead ahead on its course, the captain refusing to listen to those asking for a revote, even accusing them of mutiny.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Don't you dare chat shit about Lidl, mate

I'm more loyal to fucking Lidl than I am to being British.
LIDL is the true spirit of Europe.

I'm not sure if they carry it in the UK, but their "Lord Nelson" tea brand (lol), actually made in Germany (lol x2), is actually quite nice.

ytt2YGY.jpg

And I'm a total sucker for their cheap tools.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Can't beleive she has not resigned yet, she is going to try to stay in power, I can feel it.... also I can see Brexit getting kicked to the long grass, then in a few years It will be much easier to say 'well it has been 6 years now, we best check people still want to leave'

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I think the ERG will come on board now, as they don't have the numbers to block anything else

Oct 27, 2017
I think the ERG will come on board now, as they don't have the numbers to block anything else

Does it matter though? The EU basically told Parliament a soft Brexit can happen if they continue rejecting Mays deal, I think that broad brush still covers the majority of MPs

Makes you wonder what Corbyn and Starmer told them, maybe they've got the Tory numbers to get their deal through.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I'm supposed to be flying out of London on the 29th, looks like I'll at least avoid the end of days.

LIDL is the true spirit of Europe.

I'm not sure if they carry it in the UK, but their "Lord Nelson" tea brand (lol), actually made in Germany (lol x2), is actually quite nice.

ytt2YGY.jpg

And I'm a total sucker for their cheap tools.

I thought that was a milkshake.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Go back two years and the debate was hard brexit vs soft brexit and somehow the Government and press have managed to hoodwink people into thinking May's deal isn't a hard brexit and that's just a no deal. Start again and treat the referendum result as it was, a narrow result towards leaving so a softer Brexit is the only answer.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
It could be worse. The ERG managed to get 29th March put into the withdrawal act, but it seems that after all the amendments and lords ping-pong a sub-clause was added to the date can be changed by regulation (which I think means that the government can do it without a parliamentary vote).

Otherwise, we'd have to repeal the whole withdrawal act to avoid crashing out next Friday, and would have to pass a new withdrawal act with a different deadline. I'm not entirely sure how that would have worked.

Oh and Aldi>Lidl. Though I'll accept that Lidl's bakery does a great fig and walnut loaf.

I'm guessing that Bercow does not allow MV3 (unless a motion is passed to force him to), unless the motion is significantly changed.
Bercow's job is to uphold parliamentary sovereignty. Holding another vote cannot be done just because some foreign politicians asked us to. It might seem like he should allow it due to the EU council conclusions, but I think he'll do his job "though the heavens fall" and all that.
The situation has not actually changed. Just like two weeks ago, we have to pass the same bill or we'll crash out in two weeks unless we ask for an extension.
MV3 would have to include some extra language to make is substantially differemt, such as adding details for the negotiations over the future partnership.

My guess is that parliament will try to take over next week with Cooper/Bowles/Letwin/Benn dong their thing. If they succeed, I wonder if it will be the trigger for a resignation or GE. The government would no longer be in control of parliamentary business, which is certainly a de facto vote of no confidence. Though I suspect a decapitated Theresa May would still be claiming she would bite Corbyn's legs off.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It could be worse. The ERG managed to get 29th March put into the withdrawal act, but it seems that after all the amendments and lords ping-pong a sub-clause was added to the date can be changed by regulation (which I think means that the government can do it without a parliamentary vote).

Otherwise, we'd have to repeal the whole withdrawal act to avoid crashing out next Friday, and would have to pass a new withdrawal act with a different deadline. I'm not entirely sure how that would have worked.

Oh and Aldi>Lidl. Though I'll accept that Lidl's bakery does a great fig and walnut loaf.

I'm guessing that Bercow does not allow MV3 (unless a motion is passed to force him to), unless the motion is significantly changed.
Bercow's job is to uphold parliamentary sovereignty. Holding another vote cannot be done just because some foreign politicians asked us to. It might seem like he should allow it due to the EU council conclusions, but I think he'll do his job "though the heavens fall" and all that.
The situation has not actually changed. Just like two weeks ago, we have to pass the same bill or we'll crash out in two weeks unless we ask for an extension.
MV3 would have to include some extra language to make is substantially differemt, such as adding details for the negotiations over the future partnership.

My guess is that parliament will try to take over next week with Cooper/Bowles/Letwin/Benn dong their thing. If they succeed, I wonder if it will be the trigger for a resignation or GE. The government would no longer be in control of parliamentary business, which is certainly a de facto vote of no confidence. Though I suspect a decapitated Theresa May would still be claiming she would bite Corbyn's legs off.

Actually we don't crash out next week even if the date isn't changed. Actually leaving the EU is a matter of international law governed by A50 of the Lisbon treaty, all that happens with the withdrawal act as currently passed is that the UK disapplies the European communities act and replaces it with er pretty much the exact same set of laws. It creates a domestic legal issue (as it's not a 1:1 transfer of laws) but doesn't actually end the UK's membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.