• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerMan

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Apparently JC really pulled his punches during PMQ, even though the legal advice has been released.

Did anyone watch PMQ?

JC has never engaged in forensic questioning. He doesn't do it on purpose, that's just his skillset and ability. It's why he's never been effective in PMQs. No different than any other PMQs. At times he makes a devastating point, but has no ability to follow up on Mays response and press the issue. And he never will. And he was more interested in poverty rather than talking about the released legal advice. That's what he's good at anyway.

We're lucky there is no debate this Sunday. Watching these two debate is fucking excruciating.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
JC has never engaged in forensic questioning. He doesn't do it on purpose, that's just his skillset and ability. It's why he's never been effective in PMQs. No different than any other PMQs. At times he makes a devastating point, but has no ability to follow up on Mays response and press the issue. And he never will. And he was more interested in poverty rather than talking about the released legal advice. That's what he's good at anyway.

We're lucky there is no debate this Sunday. Watching these two debate is fucking excruciating.

He's after the soundbites for twitter / facebook.
He doesn't really care what May comes back with as it won't be included in the 40 second video

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Apparently JC really pulled his punches during PMQ, even though the legal advice has been released.

Did anyone watch PMQ?
Apparently he asked about poverty, the shambles that is Universal Credit, and those dickhead Tory MPs using food banks as a feel good photo op instead of a source of national shame.

Depending on your point of view this was either a wasted opportunity to sink the knife in over Brexit, or a good example of him talking about the Real Issues happening outside the Westminster bubble.

I'm in two minds myself.

BeerMan

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Parliament is completely gridlocked. There is no deal that would get enough votes. There is a chance we will get another referendum, because thats the only way out. There are also strong rumors that May could resign next week after the vote is lost.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
I mean, we're about to spend literal days debating Brexit, and have been for 2 years
While in general I do agree that the ongoing never ending cluster fuck that is Brexit shouldn't be the only thing PMQs is about, and certainly have in the past thought the criticism of Corbyn for asking about something else was unfair, it's hard not to feel that today of all days he should have hammered May about it. Yesterday was a disaster for her and the government, her arrogance and deceit around Brexit finally biting her in the arse, and he should have capitalised on that.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Parliament is completely gridlocked. There is no deal that would get enough votes. There is a chance we will get another referendum, because thats the only way out. There are also strong rumors that May could resign next week after the vote is lost.
If we absolutely have to have some sort of deal, even if it's only to have a second ref, then something that is basically EEA with SM and CU access would get through.

The reason May's deal has failed is because she only concerned herself with appeasing different factions of the Tory party and there isn't enough in any camp. Had she reached out to work with Labour and everyone else instead of trying to wipe them out with an election she might have been okay.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
So is Norway basically full EU membership (IE, free movement etc), but without any say in the rules?

It's shit compared to what we have now, but I could live with it.

In case we went for the Norway option, would the rebate still be there or would we end up losing the rebate so paying more for a worse option?

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
In case we went for the Norway option, would the rebate still be there or would we end up losing the rebate so paying more for a worse option?
It would go. Norway isn't in CAP and the whole reasoning for the rebate is that we get a disproportionately low amount of the subsidies.

Although we probably wouldn't pay as much as we do now. It's a complicated question because it would have to be negotiated.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people think Norway would pass a vote?
It has no advantages except independent fishing/agriculture policies and some tariff control that no-one gives a shit about. It has massive disadvantages on things that politicians really care about like no vote on the EU regulations we must follow, plus rules of origin checks that fuck up the Irish borders (either NI-Eire or NI-UK). That independent tariff policy on agriculture fucks up island of Ireland trade, pissing off Unionists, Nationalists and everyone on the island of Ireland.
Plus, Norway doesn't want us taking over their EEA gang so we'd probably need to clone most of the EEA bodies to form new EU-UK bodies.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Why do people think Norway would pass a vote?
It has no advantages except independent fishing/agriculture policies and some tariff control that no-one gives a shit about. It has massive disadvantages on things that politicians really care about like no vote on the EU regulations we must follow, plus rules of origin checks that fuck up the Irish borders (either NI-Eire or NI-UK). That independent tariff policy on agriculture fucks up island of Ireland trade, pissing off Unionists, Nationalists and everyone on the island of Ireland.
Plus, Norway doesn't want us taking over their EEA gang so we'd probably need to clone most of the EEA bodies to form new EU-UK bodies.

Parliament is looking for a way to 'honour' the referendum whist staying in CU. It will pass Labour 6 tests and the SNP and Lib Dem's, so it only needs 10 Tory rebels or so to get through.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron

DtrFirFXgAAnXFP.jpg:small

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
" Shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry is addressing the chamber. "Our place in the world is strengthened, not diminished when we cut ourselves off from Europe," she says. " - Guardian

How can this statement come from Labour. This is ridiculous, and such a prominent figure in the party too.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you mean sticking out like a sore thumb, yes. Anything else, lol. UK will be the worlds village bicycle looking for trade deals.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
" Shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry is addressing the chamber. "Our place in the world is strengthened, not diminished when we cut ourselves off from Europe," she says. " - Guardian

How can this statement come from Labour. This is ridiculous, and such a prominent figure in the party too.

It's a mistake/misspoken/whatever because she's quoting/paraphrasing Paul Farrelly who said this

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/739a1359-e058-49e3-a597-fac0ba3bd93a?in=17:21:55&out=17:28:24

Aside from matters of economy and trade, history shows that when Britains disengage from European affairs it has not only harmed our national interest but the national interests of countries on the continent as well.

Last edited:

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would a No Deal Brexit vs. May's Deal Brexit impact the ability of British citizens to travel in and out of the EU? Would they have to apply for a visa to even visit as a tourist, or would this solely impact Brits seeking to work in the EU?

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
How would a No Deal Brexit vs. May's Deal Brexit impact the ability of British citizens to travel in and out of the EU? Would they have to apply for a visa to even visit as a tourist, or would this solely impact Brits seeking to work in the EU?

For tourists they might get short term visa free access to the EU although in future they will have to pay for an EU equivalent of the US ESTA pre-departure authorisation check.

For Brits working and living in the EU we will get what ever the UK imposes on EU nationals in UK. At the moment it looks like we will lose the freedom to travel and work in other EU countries other than the one we are resident in at present. In the worst case we would need to apply for a visa (e.g. EU Blue Card) to live and work and that will be tied to a specific EU country.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
So apparently the ECJ is going to rule wether Britain can revoke article 50 the day before the meaningful vote. Interesting times ahead for sure. Tim Farron was in the HoC saying we should suspend art.50 and continue negotiating, yeh I don't see that happening Tim if we revoke Article 50 I can see the EU saying that we can't invoke it for a certain time period.

JP Morgan saying this morning that the chances of Britain staying in the EU has gone up 40%. Hmmm

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
So apparently the ECJ is going to rule wether Britain can revoke article 50 the day before the meaningful vote. Interesting times ahead for sure. Tim Farron was in the HoC saying we should suspend art.50 and continue negotiating, yeh I don't see that happening Tim if we revoke Article 50 I can see the EU saying that we can't invoke it for a certain time period.

JP Morgan saying this morning that the chances of Britain staying in the EU has gone up 40%. Hmmm

Does he mean 'remain' as I would say that is now further away than ever, if he means a Norway type model, I would say that is at 70% chance

It has been said lots of time and worth repeating, there is nowhere near a majority for remaining in the EU in parliament, there is a majority for leaving the EU in name only

Even SNP talk about staying in CU SM etc, but not remaining in EU

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

No, the European Union will just stop negotiations.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
Does he mean 'remain' as I would say that is now further away than ever, if he means a Norway type model, I would say that is at 70% chance

It has been said lots of time and worth repeating, there is nowhere near a majority for remaining in the EU in parliament, there is a majority for leaving the EU in name only

Even SNP talk about staying in CU SM etc, but not remaining in EU

I don't understand what he was saying, cancel art.50 and try again when we have a agreed position? The EU won't have it, we're in or we are out that is how the EU will see it.

No, the European Union will just stop negotiations.

This what I said they won't re-open negotiations whilst we are still in.

It's hopeless isn't it.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Once this is over and done with one way or the other I can see Article 50 going through an extensive re-write.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
If they do allow the UK to retract Article 50 then people cant really accuse the EU of being unreasonable. I imagine it will only be in this case as its kind of a test case/first case they will close the door and make it harder after.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
May has clarified what she meant yesterday about giving Parliament a vote on the backstop

And quelle surprise it is bollocks... she is happy to let MP's stop us going into the backstop if trade talks fail and it is needed, but of course what she did not say what happened if we refuse to enter the backstop agreement!

Answers on a postcard

hard Brexit with a hard border in NI

Oct 28, 2017
May has clarified what she meant yesterday about giving Parliament a vote on the backstop

And quelle surprise it is bollocks... she is happy to let MP's stop us going into the backstop if trade talks fail and it is needed, but of course what she did not say what happened if we refuse to enter the backstop agreement!

Answers on a postcard

hard Brexit with a hard border in NI

It's ridiculous, because even if she gave MPs a vote on the backstop and they decided no, the backstop would still come into effect regardless, as the withdrawal treaty doesn't give MPs a veto.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
It's ridiculous, because even if she gave MPs a vote on the backstop and they decided no, the backstop would still come into effect regardless, as the withdrawal treaty doesn't give MPs a veto.

Exactly.

"Dear EU, you know that backstop you 100% insisted on having if we wanted any kind of agreement..... you're ok if we don't have it, yeah?"

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
The rumour is May is trying to get the defeat under 30MP's so she can go to the EU and say she is close, I just need a bit more...then send it back for a second vote

Oct 25, 2017
She's just throwing sound bites at the wall for the next 5 days in the blind hope something sticks and pulls MPs back to her.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The rumour is May is trying to get the defeat under 30MP's so she can go to the EU and say she is close, I just need a bit more...then send it back for a second vote
Isnt that, from what we currently know at least, impossible?

Like wasnt it at least 90 Tory MP's who were going to vote against the deal already?

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You can't undermine the will of the British people with a second referendum but you can vote in parliament as much as needed to get the deal approved? Now that's a logic i can get behind ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.