• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Whatever, just do the freaking no-deal Brexit; they should just stop dragging out this shitshow, they turned UK into the laughing stock of all of Europe. EU made it very clear they won't get another deal, it's either this one or nothing (and this one is being rejected).

This is like a breakup where the girl just doesn't get it, and prolongs her own agony.

Well kind of, we could have a different deal if we are prepared to be realistic and give and take properly.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
The only way Labout can get a better deal is if they accept the 4 freedoms. Which is possibly their intention, but they won't say it out loud, because xenophobia is supported these days. The thing is, without saying it explicitly they end up as untrustworthy as the tories and who knows if that's even what they are thinking.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
The only way Labout can get a better deal is if they accept the 4 freedoms. Which is possibly their intention, but they won't say it out loud, because xenophobia is supported these days. The thing is, without saying it explicitly they end up as untrustworthy as the tories and who knows if that's even what they are thinking.
Corbyn is against Freedom of Movement. There's no way he'll accept the 4 freedoms.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

EDITED:
Yeah fuck it, this solves it for me, I now know we are living in a deep ai sort of simulation, it just simply grabbed the onion articles humanity produced and continued its simulation based on that, it is the only reasonable explanation for all of this.

Last edited:

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Brexit plan B debate will last only 90 minutes, says No 10

Downing Street has said that if Theresa May's deal is voted down, any debate over a Brexit plan B would be 90 minutes long and only one amendment would be allowed.

The prime minister's spokesman told reporters at Thursday morning's lobby briefing that No 10's understanding of the Dominic Grieve amendment, which requires May to outline a plan B in three working days if she is defeated, was that only a limited debate would then be allowed.

I can't see that going down at all well.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
In a weird way I'd love to see Labour try to negotiate a Brexit deal that satisfies their own six tests.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Thing is Labour's tests are basically "all the benefits of our current deal"
Now either that means they're talking through their arse because you can't have all benefits yet say you're against Freedom of Movement, or they're just as xenophobic as the Tories and Labour/Corbyn don't class freedom of movement as a benefit

Oct 25, 2017
Corbyn is really pushing for a GE isn't he. Next week will be interesting.

I'm still wary of how a GE would work in this climate. I guess the gambit is the Tories would have to run it on May's deal (unless she resigns), and so many people hate it Labour would get the win. But the Tories can't be dumb enough to let that happen, May would step down and we'd get unicorn vs unicorn.

Not to mention I can't see either party coming up with a brexit policy on their manifesto that all the candidates agree on. In which case we end up with a parliament of split opinion again.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
There's no way Labour will win enough seats to make a difference. Whole thing is beyond fucked.

Bingo! He won't win polls still have give the Tories the edge so it'll be a complete mess whilst the Brexit bomb continues to tick.

I'm still wary of how a GE would work in this climate. I guess the gambit is the Tories would have to run it on May's deal (unless she resigns), and so many people hate it Labour would get the win. But the Tories can't be dumb enough to let that happen, May would step down and we'd get unicorn vs unicorn.

Not to mention I can't see either party coming up with a brexit policy on their manifesto that all the candidates agree on. In which case we end up with a parliament of split opinion again.

A GE right now will get ugly. This what bothers me with Corbyn, he insists that there is a better deal but he'll run into the same problem as May, struggling to get it through Parliament.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
His job as the leader of the largest party in opposition is to hold the government to account not to constantly press for a GE when we are less than 3 months away from leaving the EU.

wot

first of all, no

second of all, have you seen what happens when people try to hold this and the previous two governments accountable?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Bingo! He won't win polls still have give the Tories the edge so it'll be a complete mess whilst the Brexit bomb continues to tick.

A GE right now will get ugly. This what bothers me with Corbyn, he insists that there is a better deal but he'll run into the same problem as May, struggling to get it through Parliament.

Every way forward is going to be ugly, the least ugly one for me is a new referendum but we are going to be in a bad place for a few years whatever happens.

The general election is more a waste of time than anything else with the country split down the middle.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
wot

first of all, no

second of all, have you seen what happens when people try to hold this and the previous two governments accountable?

What! A GE right now is not we need, we need is to see this subject brought to a close no more unicorn in the sky deals just sort it out. I may not like Corbyn but he has pushed back on the government, he forced a vote which found the Government in contempt of Parliament and pushed for the PM to set a date on the meaningful vote so she can't run the clock down. That is what he should be doing not pushing for a GE.

Every way forward is going to be ugly, the least ugly one for me is a new referendum but we are going to be in a bad place for a few years whatever happens.

The general election is more a waste of time than anything else with the country split down the middle.

I agree either way now is going to have serious implications in the future. A GE would be another distraction and not solve anything.

Last edited:

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Labour will become bedfellows with the SNP, it is the obvious call. He can then do a Norway option. And would have a healthy majority, my only issue is Scotland have it really good at the moment without the UK having to give even more...

But if Corbyn does not keep his promise of getting rid of tuition fees, then fuck him, don't want him

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

What! A GE right now is not we need

We currently have a Tory government, so a GE is the first thing we need.

Now granted, it's a Tory government with no majority, unable to get almost any business done, and totally consumed by Brexit, but it's still a Tory government.

A GE is the only way forward for the country, leaving the Tories in power is no solution to anything.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
What! A GE right now is not we need, we need is to see this subject brought to a close no more unicorn in the sky deals just sort it out. I may not like Corbyn but he has pushed back on the government, he forced a vote which found the Government in contempt of Parliament and pushed for the PM to set a date on the meaningful vote so she can't run the clock down. That is what he should be doing not pushing for a GE.

The Conservatives are absolute cancer on the country and have been almost solely responsible for the way things have gotten worse, aside from the Lib Dems' pathetic attempt at being clever, the Tories have needlessly hacked away at society and the economy for purely ideological reasons.

The Labour party, and any other opposition MP, lending a hand to fix the Tories mess wouldn't just be political suicide but it would shore up these bastards for perhaps another government.

Boot them out and fuck them off for generations, preferably forever if enough of those Tory wankers just die off.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017

Yaps a second referendum is likely the best option to show the shift in the public opinion to the politicians and maybe move more of them towards something like remain, but at this point outside of the EU giving an extension that ship has almost assuredly sailed, just super unlikely a referendum would be completed in time, which is also why what comes after next week is going to be super interesting.

Even if he weren't being disnhonest, do we really think the Japanese, with plentiful supply of "wagyu" are going to want to import any of our beef? And they don't eat lamb over there either. Might as well do a deal with the Saudi's to supply sand and pork.

Not super on topic but sand is not the best comparison, since Fun fact they do in fact buy sand from other countries, Saudi Arabia buys sand all the way from Australia, marine sand which is different from the sand found in the deserts is actually a dwindling resource, especially with developing economies building like crazy given that marine sand is by far the primary material for concrete.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Now granted, it's a Tory government with no majority, unable to get almost any business done, and totally consumed by Brexit, but it's still a Tory government.

A GE is the only way forward for the country, leaving the Tories in power is no solution to anything.
You need a new government ASAP. An election right now wouldn't give you that. Even if Labour scraped through, they'd fall right in the crosshairs of Brexit, get blamed for all the problems and be booted out in short order.

Labour's best bet is after this Brexit mess is done and dusted. Whoever is governing when it either fully collapses or Britain officially exit, is going to be hosed.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
If the vote is close next week, the only thing that will happen is another vote, and another vote

Oct 25, 2017
We need a legally binding remain/May's deal referendum. I think that could get a majority in parliament as it gives a lot of politicians a way out.

Labour need to accept there is no time for a GE.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

Yeah, that is, uhhhh... hmmmm. The nicest spin to put on it would be "historic" I guess.

I knew it was bad for May, but if it ends up anything close to that I can't see even her staying on.

Her stubbornness and willingness to cling onto power at any cost has surprised me before though. I'm honestly not sure she'd step down voluntarily if she lost a GE.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom

I hate the Tories as much as anyone here but I have doubts on Labour winning enough seats to form a government right now so we may end up back square 1 and wasted another month. I want to see the Tories fall on their Brexit sword, then we can have a GE.

The Conservatives are absolute cancer on the country and have been almost solely responsible for the way things have gotten worse, aside from the Lib Dems' pathetic attempt at being clever, the Tories have needlessly hacked away at society and the economy for purely ideological reasons.

The Labour party, and any other opposition MP, lending a hand to fix the Tories mess wouldn't just be political suicide but it would shore up these bastards for perhaps another government.

Boot them out and fuck them off for generations, preferably forever if enough of those Tory wankers just die off.

The Tories are wankers the shit they have done in government has had a massive effect on my life and I'll never vote for them in my life but before they do collapse I want to see them all fall on the Brexit monster they have created, then a GE.

We'll see what happens next week. I may think the timing is wrong but a GE is inevitable this year.

Edit:
Holy shit! 433 MP's are against her deal megabomba

Last edited:

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Not super on topic but sand is not the best comparison, since Fun fact they do in fact buy sand from other countries, Saudi Arabia buys sand all the way from Australia, marine sand which is different from the sand found in the deserts is actually a dwindling resource, especially with developing economies building like crazy given that marine sand is by far the primary material for concrete.

No more experts please. Only Brexit now.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
You need a new government ASAP. An election right now wouldn't give you that. Even if Labour scraped through, they'd fall right in the crosshairs of Brexit, get blamed for all the problems and be booted out in short order.

Labour's best bet is after this Brexit mess is done and dusted. Whoever is governing when it either fully collapses or Britain officially exit, is going to be hosed.
The Brexit mess won't be sorted for like 10+ years. I don't see it as an argument for Labour to avoid getting into power.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We need a legally binding remain/May's deal referendum. I think that could get a majority in parliament as it gives a lot of politicians a way out.

Labour need to accept there is no time for a GE.
And what happens if May's deal wins? I know the idea of a second ref is tempting because people assume remain will win and we can move on but I would feel better if it was remain v a Labour deal that isn't as stupid.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The Brexit mess won't be sorted for like 10+ years. I don't see it as an argument for Labour to avoid getting into power.
The fallout won't last 10+ years, but Article 50 will either have been withdrawn, the UK will have crashed out, or a deal will have been agreed on long before then.

Labour getting into power, say, tomorrow, puts them squarely in the crosshairs for the blame for anything and everything that's going to go wrong. If you want them in control for most of the next ten years, now is a terrible time to take power.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Japanese PM says he supports May's deal. Is like your competition saying go on, shoot yourself?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
And what happens if May's deal wins? I know the idea of a second ref is tempting because people assume remain will win and we can move on but I would feel better if it was remain v a Labour deal that isn't as stupid.

There isn't a better deal. That's what makes Labour current stance so frustrating. They and the leadership know that there are four options we have in front of us:

Hard brexit
Mays deal
Norway
Remain

With Norway not even being possible depending on the views of other countries. May's deal is the best that can be obtained given the restrictions we have placed on ourselves *and the restrictions that Corbyn has agreed on*. Things like freedom of movement. Levels of state aid to industry.

We will be in exactly the same boat, looking at the same basic deal, with Corbyn as leader unless there is a fundamental shift in labour's policy. I'd welcome that but I see no signs of it.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The focus on getting a general election is Corbyn's shield against having to do anything about Brexit.

Though repeatedly calling for a GE this close to the Brexit deadline is making him come across a bit power-hungry.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Thanks Corbyn for ignoring polls, wasting all this momentum, for continuong to pursue a brexit that makes the country worse off by default, making promises that are as desingenuous as the party you oppose. UK politics are a disaster really.

Status
Not open for further replies.