• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Brexit really is the only thing keeping the Tories going. Used to be you just heard nothing but "Can't vote for Labour because of the financial crisis!", but 10 years should be enough time to sort that shit out.

Now, they just constantly go on about delivering Brexit and trying to make everyone avoid their awful choices elsewhere, like dicing up the NHS and ruining the social safety net of benefits.

Just a shame that Labour are killing themselves internally and the Lib Dems have made themselves immaterial. There's just nobody to vote for that feels like they can get the job done, at least for the English.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
Does anybody else feel like Conservative policy is unraveling at a rapid pace?

Austerity has been shot to pieces and proven as harming the most vulnerable in our society, their handling of the NHS has been heavily criticised with advice telling them to undo the 2012 reforms, the benefits freeze could be ending as soon as next year, Universal Credit is dead in its current state, even the wheels are falling off deficit reduction, etc.

Even outside of Brexit, it feels like the near-decade of Conservatives in power will be defined by failure, and making everything far worse.

Well it is a both sides issue, on one side you have all the evidence austerity isn't working, on the other you have this austerity expert saying you guys need to tighten your belts:

QUEEN%2527S%2BSPEECH%2B2015.jpg

So you know what I would go with the austerity expert on this one.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Austerity has been shot to pieces and proven as harming the most vulnerable in our society, their handling of the NHS has been heavily criticised with advice telling them to undo the 2012 reforms, the benefits freeze could be ending as soon as next year, Universal Credit is dead in its current state, even the wheels are falling off deficit reduction, etc.

Even outside of Brexit, it feels like the near-decade of Conservatives in power will be defined by failure, and making everything far worse.

With the defeat of 'Mayism' at the last election, it's rather unclear what if anything the Tories stand for other than Brexit right now. They'll need some time after this is over to come up with a coherent set of policies that actually say something about what they want Britain to be.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
Fiona Bruce was fantastic last night on QT she really pushed on MP's to give a straight answer, Emily Thornberrys face was hilarious she really couldn't counter any points without the usual party waffle about the 6 tests lol

Props to the Lid Dem MP at least she could hold her ground.

It's a great speech. He's one of the very few genuinely inspiring politicians around at the moment.

You can tell he has lot of passion to try and make things better for us. He would get my vote for sure. It's a shame that there are so few MP's like him.

Yea indeed! All family gatherings have been awful since the vote - everyone afraid of causing a row. My family is split 50/50 with it being younger vs older (with the exception of my younger sister....).

Everyone generally just avoids talking about it especially because my partner is Polish and she is likely to punch someone haha.

Same for my parents and my partners parents. Both are Leave voters and both share xenophobic sentiments they swear are justified with the usual bullshit rhetoric and the EU being the devil for the past forty years.

Every time Brexit is mentioned it gets heated, so we just avoid it entirely. Last one was a week or two before Christmas and everyone left feeling pretty shit.

It's such a shame that this stupid subject has divided families. I very rarely bring up politics now as I don't want start another argument. I let thier criticisms of the EU flow over me like water of a ducks back when I'm there. Even though I know I can counter thier points with facts I don't say anything because they are so entrenched with their opinion it makes no difference. It's a difficult situation to be in for sure.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

No, quite the opposite.
We see that you can shit on democracy and still be in power. We see that there are not nearly enough checks in place to kick out bad-faith-actors in the government. We see that you can fail upwards. We see that the boomers are fucking us and we can do nothing against it. We see "fuck-you-got-mine".

What we see is the unraveling of a functioning society, unraveling of Democracy that was built on dreams and good faith and the realization that dreams and good faith can't be upheld if those in power weaponize democracy at it's core.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
No, quite the opposite.
We see that you can shit on democracy and still be in power. We see that there are not nearly enough checks in place to kick out bad-faith-actors in the government. We see that you can fail upwards. We see that the boomers are fucking us and we can do nothing against it. We see "fuck-you-got-mine".

What we see is the unraveling of a functioning society, unraveling of Democracy that was built on dreams and good faith and the realization that dreams and good faith can't be upheld if those in power weaponize democracy at it's core.

I don't think it's as bad as that. Brexit and "the will of the people" that comes with it has been treated as a higher form of democracy that is somehow greater than parliament and this has scared a lot of MPs on both sides of the aisle. We don't really do direct democracy and the Brexit vote has shaken Westminster to the core. This has allowed a minority government not acting in good faith to repeatedly break accepted protocol and convention to it's own end whilst MPs have been paralysed to call it out for what it is.

This week we saw MPs and the speaker take back control of parliament. May's bag of excuses don't wash now the deal is on the table and that's why the Tory backbenches are rebelling. May has discharged the will of the people, the fog has lifted and parliament is exerting itself again.

Oct 25, 2017
The betting markets are putting the chances of the UK leaving the EU by the end of March at 25%. That's with a deal or without. There's fairly strong belief that there will be some A50 extension/fudge.

Oct 25, 2017
Might be worth a flutter. Don't forget the markets are driven by what people expect, more than some secret inside knowledge of this stuff.
Yeah I wasn't trying to say that there's some information that we don't have access to. Just wanted to point out that the expected outcome is a lot different than a lot of you expect, and the market shouldn't be completely ignored, especially if the alternative is one or two individual loudmouths with no actual skin in the game.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yeah I wasn't trying to say that there's some information that we don't have access to. Just wanted to point out that the expected outcome is a lot different than a lot of you expect, and the market shouldn't be completely ignored, especially if the alternative is one or two individual loudmouths with no actual skin in the game.
Didn't the betting markets greatly overestimate remain's chances back in 2016? Seems like people overestimate how likely the status quo is on this topic, if you ask me.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the betting markets greatly overestimate remain's chances back in 2016? Seems like people overestimate how likely the status quo is on this topic, if you ask me.
I mean the betting markets will always either overestimate or underestimate something if you treat the outcome as having been inevitable...given a certain outcome transpires in the end.

They do however represent the combined understanding of a lot of clever people, and if you think they are wrong I think in a way it's incumbent on you to put your money where your mouth is.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
There's almost certainly going to be a delay. Even if the deal gets passed next week they're going to need snookers to get all the required legislation through in time, and the Lords has been relatively slow at looking at the statutory instruments: they needed to get through 10 a day, they're roughly managing around 3.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Goodness the mess that is going to occur when the European elections are held...
From Reuters

Key complications are:
  • how long an extension Britain may seek to its two-year exit deadline under Article 50 of the EU treaty — notably whether it leaves before or after the current EU legislature lapses on July 1
  • whether an extension might end up cancelling Brexit altogether
  • whether a need for Britons to vote for new EU representatives could be delayed beyond May
  • whether the new EU chamber will need to ratify the Brexit terms
A European affairs minister from an EU government said the prospect of Britons having to hold a vote in late May to elect MEPs to a chamber they were still about to leave would be "mad politically, but legally we might have no other option".

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I mean the betting markets will always either overestimate or underestimate something if you treat the outcome as having been inevitable...given a certain outcome transpires in the end.

They do however represent the combined understanding of a lot of clever people, and if you think they are wrong I think in a way it's incumbent on you to put your money where your mouth is.
Wikipedia has a specific section on why the betting markets got Brexit so wrong:

On Thursday, June 23, 2016, the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union. Even until the moment votes were counted, prediction markets leaned heavily on the side of staying in the EU and failed to predict the outcomes of the vote. According to Michael Traugott, a former president of the American Association for Public Opinion Research, the reason for the failure of the prediction markets is due to the influence of manipulation and bias shadowed by mass opinion and public opinion.[24] Clouded by the similar mindset of users in prediction markets, they created a paradoxical environment where they began self-reinforcing their initial beliefs (in this case, that the UK would vote to remain in the EU).[24][25] Here, we can observe how crippling bias and lack of diversity of opinion can be in the success of a prediction market.

I constantly run into complete denial from peeps in the UK about brexit causing any issues at all. People seem to be unable to grasp simple concepts like 'extending article 50 requires unanimous approval from EU member nations' and 'article 50 can only be withdrawn if a majority in parliament vote for it'. To pin the combined chance of either May's deal being accepted or failing to prevent no deal at 1 in 4... I'm struggling to see how that's an informed or educated opinion vs the same problem we saw in the Brexit betting markets in 2016.

Oct 25, 2017
I constantly run into complete denial from peeps in the UK about brexit causing any issues at all. People seem to be unable to grasp simple concepts like 'extending article 50 requires unanimous approval from EU member nations' and 'article 50 can only be withdrawn if a majority in parliament vote for it'. To pin the combined chance of either May's deal being accepted or no deal somehow being prevented at 1 in 4... I'm struggling to see how that's an informed or educated opinion vs the same problem we saw in the Brexit betting markets in 2016.
Ok so you should put a lot of money on that belief.

edit: wait you have that wrong, it's the combined chances of May's deal being accepted and the UK leaving before the end of March OR there being no deal and the UK leaving before the end of March OR any other deal and the UK leaving before the end of March. Not no deal being prevented.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You know what 'might be worth a flutter' means yes?

I think they're understating how likely it is, so I think odds of winning are better than 1 in 4. I don't think it's impossible that there is a delay. I've explained why I think that. Not sure what else there is to say at this point.
So you did put money on it? Not just said you should put money on it?

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
I feel the closer we get to Brexit day, the less likely it is that the EU will grant an extension. Maybe if the UK had applied for it in the summer with solid and substantiated reasoning as to why they need more time to prepare, it would have been given easily. If now the UK comes with the same request on the 11th hour (say a month to 2 weeks before), after all we have seen happening, or rather, not seen happening in the last 2 years and especially the last few months, the EU assuredly knows that the additional time will be wasted on more internal UK political quibbling. The EU will barely gain anything, and investments (both monetarly and in recruiting extra manpower) to enable increased customs activity in preparation for Brexit by countries that trade a lot with the UK will be wasted, depending on the lenght of the extension.

Unless something tangible changes within the UK, and I don't consider a new election tangible change considering how divided UK politics is right now, I am sceptical about possible extensions to the 2 year period.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I can't see the EU granting an extension for any reason beyond "We want to hold a 2nd referendum where remain is one of the options"
And for that the EU will demand a legally binding date for it to be held by.

May can't even ask for one on the grounds of getting the withdrawal agreement through parliament since even if her deal did pass somehow, it's no longer the agreement the EU agreed to since it has that backstop veto.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
DER SPIEGEL: Your party is holding the nation hostage over its unresolved struggle over Europe. Where has all the reason and willingness to compromise gone?

Davis: You think it's just the Conservative Party? Where is the willingness to compromise in the European Commission or in Germany? It's regrettable that we have come to this point. Our negotiation strategy was initially to try and get a win-win out of this. The EU was determined for it not to be a win on our side. Indeed, Mrs. Merkel, I think, said in terms Britain cannot be seen to gain from this.

Source

Looks like we germans are the baddies again so sorry for ruining your brexit i guess.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Since we can unilaterally revoke, there's no reason for the EU to ever grant us an extension.

If we need more time to sort our own shit out, well, that's our problem, not there's.

Edit: Fuck David Davis

Edit Edit: Latest numbers on the Meaningful Vote:

Last edited:

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched Brexit an Uncivil War, and fucking hell...

It lead me to look into AggregateIQ, which in turn lead to Cambridge Analytica and Facebook etc. I'd heard the basics before, but never in this much detail.

I'm suprised that this hasn't lead to a 2nd ref.

Edit: and police investigation into Leave, has stalled ? Wtf.

Last edited:

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Today, in scaremongering people to vote for something that they don't want: Blocking Brexit could incite far-right extremism (headline taken from my BBC homepage, for some reason it's not the headline of the article itself and that specific quote isn't in the article).

Blocking Brexit could lead to a surge in far-right extremism in the UK, the transport secretary has said.

Chris Grayling told the Daily Mail that failing to leave the EU would cause the 17 million people who voted for Brexit to feel "cheated".

This could end centuries of "moderate" politics in the UK, he said, as he urged his colleagues to back Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit deal.
Pretty much everything so far has proven that they're barely able to mobilise, let alone in significant numbers but they need to keep that threat at the front of people's minds.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes appeasement, that's always worked against the far right in the past. If we give them some of what they want, they'll be satisfied.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any option that won't lead to some level of protest, unfortunately. That's just how polarised the debate has become. But what you have to remember is that many of those who warn about far right protests in the event of Brexit being "thwarted" seem not to think the shortages in the event of a no deal Brexit will cause any unrest worthy of warning.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just watched Brexit an Uncivil War, and fucking hell...

It lead me to look into AggregateIQ, which in turn lead to Cambridge Analytica and Facebook etc. I'd heard the basics before, but never in this much detail.

I'm suprised that this hasn't lead to a 2nd ref.

Edit: and police investigation into Leave, has stalled ? Wtf.
And te official reason given for that was that its 'politically sensitive.

Such utter bullshit.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
protests are coming either way.

If Brexit goes through and it is a shitshow, leavers and remainers will be protesting, possibly violently.
If Brexit gets canceled, leavers will be protesting... as they did before, barely noticeable. Those are elderly and old boomers, their first and foremost goal is a good life (on the back of others) That's what conservatism is about, holding up the status quo. If they can't relive their youth, they always fall back to the cushioned life without any changes.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Today, in scaremongering people to vote for something that they don't want: Blocking Brexit could incite far-right extremism (headline taken from my BBC homepage, for some reason it's not the headline of the article itself and that specific quote isn't in the article).

Pretty much everything so far has proven that they're barely able to mobilise, let alone in significant numbers but they need to keep that threat at the front of people's minds.

Grayling and others arguing for appeasement sure is something.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
Even if he weren't being disnhonest, do we really think the Japanese, with plentiful supply of "wagyu" are going to want to import any of our beef? And they don't eat lamb over there either. Might as well do a deal with the Saudi's to supply sand and pork.
I understand the sentiment but trust me, Japan does NOT have ample supply of Wagyu and a lot of it is exported. Japan imports most of their 'consumer' beef from Australia, and Wagyu is a strictly 'premium' export product. Japan's farming strategy is largely informed by the fact it's a very mountainous country that isn't suited to livestock and large scale farming so have instead pivoted to making smaller quantities of premium produce which they aggressively market and export and use the profit to import day to day food. The EU trade deal is a massive win for Japan for this reason! (though it took them a while to convince farmers of this fact)

Australia is much more competitive in this sector due to distance though. Not sure how this will work out for British beef, because we don't do that much premium beef and while for higher margin exports shipping makes sense, for lower margin exports like 'consumer' grade food it doesn't.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Tory good old boys cannot wait for all the "emergency" brexit spending to begin with contracts that won't fully be accounted for for decades to come.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Is there even a yellow vest protest on the streets in the UK? or are these just armchair yellow vest protesters?

Status
Not open for further replies.