• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
According to the BBC Corbyn wants a deal "that includes a UK say on future EU trade deals" and close ties to the single market. It seems strange to me that the UK would get a say on EU trade deals but I don't know much about how the EEA work. Do Norway and other EEA countries get a say on EU trade deals or is Corbyn hoping for something unique for the UK?

No. EEA countries are outside the customs union and conduct their own negotiations.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
So this is fine

But I thought he was racist and wanted to fuck foreigners off? :P

I never said that. He's not a racist, he's just happy to pander to them because he's a cunt.
According to the BBC Corbyn wants a deal "that includes a UK say on future EU trade deals" and close ties to the single market. It seems strange to me that the UK would get a say on EU trade deals but I don't know much about how the EEA work. Do Norway and other EEA countries get a say on EU trade deals or is Corbyn hoping for something unique for the UK?
I'm a bit hazy on this myself, but it's been interpreted by some commentators as a Norway-style "we get consulted but our our input can be easily ignored" (and i'm also hazy on how true a reflection of the arrangement Norway has btw) .

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Here's an idea. Let's stay in as we already have that.

I don't understand why Corbyn campaigns for things we already have yet he won't get behind a referendum and staying in the EU.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You know what would have really close ties to the single market and a say in EU trade deals?

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A say doesn't have to mean a veto. The UK would be by far the biggest third party country (and bigger than all the EU nations except Germany and maybe France) so it could be possible that something could be worked out. The EU didn't exactly dismiss it as unicorns yesterday did they?

Anyway we'll probably never find out because the DUP called it "plan F or G" today which means they're not even going to try.

Last edited:

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Depends what he means by "a say". He probably kept it vague for that reason. Norway technincally has a say, where they lobby the EU to defend their interest in certain cases.
A "say" in corbyn's mouth, means a VETO, he spoke about it many times, he is deluded.
The EU does not allow non members states to have a formal say or veto in its negociations (and thank god), end of story really.

The EU didn't exactly dismiss it as unicorns yesterday did they?
They didn't because it was about altering the political declaration, which is non binding and pretty much worthless. With out without corbyn's adds it changes nothing, the EU wants the WA signed, if the UK needs a worthless baby hochet to think it won something and get it signed, sure, write whatever you want in the political declaration, who cares.

Last edited:

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, I want a pony. What are you offering me so I can have a pony? Guys?!

I'm sure the EU is totally ready to give the UK a say over negotiations.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
All things considered, it's kind of crazy how much of Brexit's pathos can be traced back to the unreleased tension created by Heseltine and Major's machinations against Thatcher.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Kate Hoey is worse than a Tory. She's a DUP MP. Can't wait for her to be kicked to the curb. Hope the local CLP select a pro-EU gay Irishman to replace her.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Here's an idea. Let's stay in as we already have that.

I don't understand why Corbyn campaigns for things we already have yet he won't get behind a referendum and staying in the EU.
Because he's more at risk of losing Leave voters than Remain voters and because a second referendum probably wouldn't keep us in the EU anyway. It's honestly not complicated.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because he's more at risk of losing Leave voters than Remain voters and because a second referendum probably wouldn't keep us in the EU anyway. It's honestly not complicated.

It's all fantasy while at the same time his losing his own support who want to remain.

As Tusk pointed out the government and the opposition are both clueless. Corbyn wants to cherry pick from the best parts of being in the EU and that's simply not on.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's all fantasy while at the same time his losing his own support who want to remain.

As Tusk pointed out the government and the opposition are both clueless. Corbyn wants to cherry pick from the best parts of being in the EU and that's simply not on.
Is he actually losing his own support though? There are a handful of MPs getting their voices out there to save face but there's not much to actually support any major decrease in his actual support. In terms of voters though? Single issue voters on Brexit unfortunately don't have a party to vote for outside of Scotland and Labour hasn't been relevant here in years anyway.

I don't disagree his proposals are similar unicorn nonsense, but they are at least more easily negotiable than May's.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
If Remainer Labour voters are prepared to switch to the Tories, that says more about them than anything else.

soda mixer

Jul 4, 2018
Is he actually losing his own support though? There are a handful of MPs getting their voices out there to save face but there's not much to actually support any major decrease in his actual support. In terms of voters though? Single issue voters on Brexit unfortunately don't have a party to vote for outside of Scotland and Labour hasn't been relevant here in years anyway.

I don't disagree his proposals are similar unicorn nonsense, but they are at least more easily negotiable than May's.

Whether or not a significant number of Labour voters decide to defect a different party because of Corbyn's approach to Brexit, I think it's pretty likely that disillusionment with Labour leadership on the most urgent crisis facing the country will hurt enthusiasm and turnout among young voters.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I reckon if Labour MPs get even a sniff he is losing his popularity with momentum. A leadership challenge will come

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that they understand the greater threat.

n9PR9d7.gif

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
One of the few good things about Brexit is that it has provided a fantastic glimpse at how European diplomacy works. A lot of people are going to walk out much wiser.
People didnt learn from the Greek fiasco. People wont learn from the British fiasco.

Edit: Seems all the government departments just started looking at all the shit a hard Brexit would affect. OMNISHAMBLES

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Two thoughts here:

- agreed, the BBC should be in a lot of trouble for allowing or at the very least not catching this BS. The fact their QT audience is hand selected makes it even worse.
- regardless of where his script came from, I actually think he had a point about the hypocrisy of the SNP's criticism of the Brexit plan.

Catch it? They are actively promoting it.

This guy has been on 4 times and got to speak every time.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/aunties-favourite/

This isn't a BBC mistake, it is a deliberate action where the producers court far right wankers to appear on shows. Unfortunately in scotland there are so few they have been caught reusing the same person

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I want a pony. What are you offering me so I can have a pony? Guys?!

I'm sure the EU is totally ready to give the UK a say over negotiations.
This was me in November.

The opposition then states that while it's simply stupid to have a pony, and the pony being offered isn't real, and is actually a cat in a pony suit, they offer something better instead.

What's better? They won't say unless if you elect them.

While the government state that they are in fact offering a pony, but it isn't a pedigree one and the backbenches want a unicorn.

That's basically Tory Vs Labour at this point

They're still at it. Although now Corbyn has described his pony is also actually now a unicorn.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Good article on which regions will be hit the most in the event of No Deal (or probably, even Shitty Deal).

Vh0Ij5j.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/07/world/europe/brexit-impact-on-european-union.html

I was expecting a bigger impact on Italy and Spain on account of agrifoods, but it looks like the biggest damage will be infliced on manufactures.

I'll be keeping that map close by the time actual trade negotiations start.

seems weird that Mecklenburg-West Pomerania is more impacted by Brexit than effing Bavaria.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that they understand the greater threat.

I wanted to ask a question about this point that this person is making; is there any argument that voting for Tory remainers in a hypothetical situation where doing so would make the UK more likely to remain by disregarding the referendum results or would make a Norway/EU model more likely to be passed in Parliament is better than voting for Labour leavers or Labour leave-sympathizers who would take the UK almost totally out of the EU entirely?

I've seen people say in other contexts that the only thing standing between the Tories and their aspirations to turn the UK into the United States (aside: as an American, I wouldn't wish this upon you or anyone else) is the EU and its regulatory bodies that keep the Tories from doing so.

Is this an accurate way to look at things, first of all, and second of all, is there any argument that damage could be minimized by voting for or otherwise supporting Tory remainers that would keep the UK either inside or closely under the regulatory watch of the EU over Labour members who prefer to leave?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I wanted to ask a question about this point that this person is making; is there any argument that voting for Tory remainers in a hypothetical situation where doing so would make the UK more likely to remain by disregarding the referendum results or would make a Norway/EU model more likely to be passed in Parliament is better than voting for Labour leavers or Labour leave-sympathizers who would take the UK almost totally out of the EU entirely?

I've seen people say in other contexts that the only thing standing between the Tories and their aspirations to turn the UK into the United States (aside: as an American, I wouldn't wish this upon you or anyone else) is the EU and its regulatory bodies that keep the Tories from doing so.

Is this an accurate way to look at things, first of all, and second of all, is there any argument that damage could be minimized by voting for or otherwise supporting Tory remainers that would keep the UK either inside or closely under the regulatory watch of the EU over Labour members who prefer to leave?
It's hypothetically possible but I can't think of a real world example of a Tory remainer in a marginal constituency running against a staunch Labour leaver.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
It's hypothetically possible but I can't think of a real world example of a Tory remainer in a marginal constituency running against a staunch Labour leaver.

Probably because Kate Hoey and Frank Field probably won't be Labour MPs come the next election and Graham Stringer is on thin ice too.

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece

I'd like to extend my most sincere congratulations to the UK for finally achieving Spanish and Italian levels of misgovernment.

QrEITka.gif

This UK government is actually worse then the government that caused the crises in Greece, even the Greek Government at that time managed to speak in a single voice.

From Empire to bankruptcy/not mattering anymore, it happened so many times in history. I guess its time for UK to finally kick the bucket.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Chris Grayling goes into his own special category of political fecal midas, he must be doing it on purpose.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
pretendstobeshocked.gif

Was never going to stand up to any scrutiny, clearly a greased palm contract

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Man the BBC is really going downhill fast

BBC bans EU flag at Eurovision event - and provides Union Flags instead
The BBC said it was a safety decision but admitted that alternative flags were being offered when inside the venue.

The spokesperson said: "As a safety precaution we check all personal belongings, including all flags, into studio security while ticket holders are in the studio audience, but do however supply the audience with UK flags once they are inside."

Status
Not open for further replies.