• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
seems weird that Mecklenburg-West Pomerania is more impacted by Brexit than effing Bavaria.
Well, it's not all of Bavaria, just Lower Bavaria. For some reason the NY Times chose to divide Germany along its administrative districts instead of its states, which is quite unusual. Even more so because they're using districts that were integrated into larger ones in 1999.

As for the question, I don't know the specifics, but it could be that Mecklenburg exports more agrarian products to the UK (them being at the Baltic Sea probably helps) than Lower Bavaria. The latter does have a BMW assembly though, so I really don't know why it's apparently unaffected by Brexit.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Well, it's not all of Bavaria, just Lower Bavaria. For some reason the NY Times chose to divide Germany along its administrative districts instead of its states, which is quite unusual. Even more so because they're using districts that were integrated into larger ones in 1999.

As for the question, I don't know the specifics, but it could be that Mecklenburg exports more agrarian products to the UK (them being at the Baltic Sea probably helps) than Lower Bavaria. The latter does have a BMW assembly though, so I really don't know why it's apparently unaffected by Brexit.

all-in-all I think the map is bullshit. There is either 10% impact all over germany or no impact like lower bavaria, no increments at all. Industry/exporting hubs like Ruhr, south-west Germany, etc. have the same Brexit impact as Mecklenburg and Schleswig? Lower bavaria, Berlin and lower Saxony nothing? Saxony is like the powerhouse of East Germany. No way are they less impacted than Brandenburg or Anhalt.
Or do they assume that the border regions just sell their products to the nearest country? (the no impact regions are all on the border, lower bavaria to czech and Austria, Lower saxony to Poland and czech, Saarland and lower westphalia to Belgium/France

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Time for a reminder that the Tories own predictions put a no deal scenario, that we are less than two months from, at around -9% GDP. And that's probably optimistic. But no, carry on how Corbyn is going to Doom us with a GDP drop.

You've missed the point the poster was replying to, which is that it would be better to have a Remain but with a Tory PM, than a no-deal with Labour PM.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
You've missed the point that the Tories are the ones who got us in this mess because of a squabble in their party.

... I really should put you on ignore. You're basically trolling at this point.

I replied to someone else, putting the context there, which they didn't seem aware of. Why are you trying to use circular logic to try and argue that context?

I don't think a single poster has argued that we weren't in this mess because of the Tories in the first place. But that isn't the point the initial poster was making, is it? I have a feeling you already know that though.

Question - Would Remain with Tory MP be better than a No Deal Brexit with Labour MP?

Answer - Yes. As 10% GDP drop, would be catastrophic and tie the hands of any leader, no matter how much they'd want to change things. Remember spending cuts during a 2-3% drop during the last recession and the pain and misery that caused. The prospect of that happening with 3x the drop? And for a much longer period? How anyone can possibly believe the impact would be less than what we've already had is beyond me.

But again, you're aware of the context, the question, and the fact this is pretty much an entirely fantasy scenario, as neither of these outcomes are possible. Yet you'll come back with "But Labour won't No Deal" and carry on being entirely disingenuous, by acting as if anyone was arguing that in the first place.

Whenever someone posits Tory remain vs Labour leave, God kills a kitten.

God kills 10 kittens when someone pops into a thread without even seeking context. Don't kill the kittens!

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
... I really should put you on ignore. You're basically trolling at this point.

I replied to someone else, putting the context there, which they didn't seem aware of. Why are you trying to use circular logic to try and argue that context?

I don't think a single poster has argued that we weren't in this mess because of the Tories in the first place. But that isn't the point the initial poster was making, is it? I have a feeling you already know that though.

Question - Would Remain with Tory MP be better than a No Deal Brexit with Labour MP?

Answer - Yes. As 10% GDP drop, would be catastrophic and tie the hands of any leader, no matter how much they'd want to change things. Remember spending cuts during a 2-3% drop during the last recession and the pain and misery that caused. The prospect of that happening with 3x the drop? And for a much longer period? How anyone can possibly believe the impact would be less than what we've already had is beyond me.

But again, you're aware of the context, the question, and the fact this is pretty much an entirely fantasy scenario, as neither of these outcomes are possible. Yet you'll come back with "But Labour won't No Deal" and carry on being entirely disingenuous, by acting as if anyone was arguing that in the first place.

God kills 10 kittens when someone pops into a thread without even seeking context. Don't kill the kittens!

Do what you want, man, if you can discuss in all seriousness ''Tory Remain vs Labour Leave" then there's no point in talking about this. You fundamentally can't isolate 'Tory Remain' as some kind of option because, once again:

- Tories always put party over country
- Tories don't give two shits about anything other than power
- The Tory Party will never ever be united about Europe, a mythical Tory Remain would condemn the country to even more division and there's no guarantee there wouldn't be more pressure to leave.
- The Tories have proven time and again that the party functions as a massive public debating competition and none of them consider their actions to be anything other than existing within the sphere of Westminster (see the voting record of Woke Soubz vs her public proclamations)
- Tory politicians almost never have any kind of grip on reality

So yeah, it's always worth pointing out that the Conservatives got us in this mess precisely because of those bullet points and therefore any "Tory Remain" MP should have a massive asterisk next to their name. Because ultimately, you know that if Labour put forward a proposal to stay in the EU and all it needed was Tory Remainers to rebel, they never ever would.

Put me on ignore if it makes you feel better.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Do what you want, man, if you can discuss in all seriousness ''Tory Remain vs Labour Leave" then there's no point in talking about this. You fundamentally can't isolate 'Tory Remain' as some kind of option because, once again:

- Tories always put party over country
- Tories don't give two shits about anything other than power
- The Tory Party will never ever be united about Europe, a mythical Tory Remain would condemn the country to even more division and there's no guarantee there wouldn't be more pressure to leave.
- The Tories have proven time and again that the party functions as a massive public debating competition and none of them consider their actions to be anything other than existing within the sphere of Westminster (see the voting record of Woke Soubz vs her public proclamations)
- Tory politicians almost never have any kind of grip on reality

So yeah, it's always worth pointing out that the Conservatives got us in this mess precisely because of those bullet points and therefore any "Tory Remain" MP should have a massive asterisk next to their name. Because ultimately, you know that if Labour put forward a proposal to stay in the EU and all it needed was Tory Remainers to rebel, they never ever would.

Put me on ignore if it makes you feel better.

You did -exactly- what I posted you would. The question came up as an isolated, what if? Not an actual argument that it could happen. You know this, you've seen the context, it was even pointed out in my post. No one is arguing it could happen, what people are doing are saying "What if?"

You've just spent your entire post arguing it couldn't happen when no one asked that! This is why I can't decide whether you've disengenious or just missing that...

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
What's the point of the "what if?", though?

Remain is better than Leave, categorically. It's not a controversial (on here, I guess) or original position, but what's the point of planting your flag in the "I'd take Tory Remain over Labour Leave" hypothetical when it has no realistic chance of happening?

Y'know, other to express some sort of support for the Tories?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

Remain is better than Leave, categorically. It's not a controversial (on here, I guess) or original position, but what's the point of planting your flag in the "I'd take Tory Remain over Labour Leave" hypothetical when it has no realistic chance of happening?

so what, supporting Labour even if they don't want to stop Brexit, means you are a Leaver with this kind of narrative.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
so what, supporting Labour even if they don't want to stop Brexit, means you are a Leaver with this kind of narrative.
It's just a dumb hypothetical, is all I'm saying. It's not worth planting a flag in as if it were a realistic position.

It's effectively saying "I'd support the Tories if they reversed their position on a national crisis they caused to save their party, in which the worst possible outcomes may be inflicted upon us because of their PM's red lines also to save the party" and also "fuck Labour for being compromised by a national division that doesn't exist on traditional party lines".

It's pitting Labour's unfortunate but very real dilemma over Brexit, against some fantasy version of the Tory party that doesn't exist. It is a child's view of Brexit. Black and white thinking.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Well I'm not sure why the initial poster did decide to come in with that stance, you'd have to ask them, but it inevitably spawned discussion, with funnily enough, differing points. I don't see why it's an issue to discuss on a forum, what if scenarios, albeit pointless, much like most of the discussions we have across the entirety of Era...

Implying you're a secret Tory because of that discussion is... a rather childish view, I'd say.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm sorry about that post. I hoped to underline that I'm American and obviously learning about your government and your political situation. I've read other people at other places say that the EU was basically the final thing between the Tories and all-out Americanization of your social programs and your economy, and I know that there are obviously quite a few Tory remainers (which May was before she became PM and decided to resolutely stick to her exit plan) and that Labour is, in some part, unhappy with Corbyn's seeming willingness to leave.

I was reading an article on The Guardian maybe a couple weeks ago, I think it was, about the tight spot that Labour Leave MPs are in in terms of what their constituents who voted leave want and what the general party support wants re: Brexit. That, along with the discussions of the EU's role in keeping the Tories from enacting their plan and the news about upset Labour MPs who aren't happy with Corbyn signaling that he'll lead his party to play ball with May for the right Brexit plan, led me to asking what I asked. Maybe I should have asked that question with more of that context in mind. I didn't mean to offer up a political fantasy or cause discord. I apologize for that.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
In messages leaked to BuzzFeed News, Perry wrote that Chope and his veteran Brexiteer colleagues Peter Bone and Bernard Jenkin "don't give a toss", adding: "They are not politicians they are zealots for whom winning an argument beats winning an election". Turning the conversation to Brexit, Perry said: "It's the same with the backstop".
The minister also asked the group: "Is anyone else bored to sobs with fighting this posse of old buffers who have achieved their dream of taking over the party again?", before warning that the Tories would lose the next election and become an opposition party "of the white shires and shores".
She wrote: "Here's my prediction: mass exodus of Tory talent at the next election just like the last (both voluntary and involuntary) so we can retreat to being an oppo party of the white shires and Shores and we can talk to each other all day long about utter bollocks!
https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/al...have-been-taken#click=https://t.co/Pa8mbFfzx8

That Guy

Nov 13, 2017
That's...actually a pretty good idea. No deal is taken off the table. Remainers get the second referendum and May supporters get their deal passed. Only people I see taking issue with this are the diehard brexiteers worried about giving the people another vote with an outcome they won't like.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it isn't Brexit but this dude is pretty good Brexit wise and I think some of you follow him.

But here he is defend terfs... so yeh

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
British polite society is riddled with terfs. They're not all Graham Linehan level hateful but sadly pretty common because they all move in the same circles so when some of the big names in British feminism came out loudly as terfs they took a lot of people who'd never really thought about it with them.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
That's...actually a pretty good idea. No deal is taken off the table. Remainers get the second referendum and May supporters get their deal passed. Only people I see taking issue with this are the diehard brexiteers worried about giving the people another vote with an outcome they won't like.
Initially I was like "Oh fuck off... more bullshit.", but yeah, this is actually pretty smart. No-one really loses face for undermining the "will of the people".

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
This is definitely interesting, although it is clear as day that it is just cover for MPs to vote remain without seeming like they voted remain, the only way May deal would ever win out against Remain is if the EU wouldn't provide an extension, or the referendum wouldn't come to be in that time.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
May's deal (which is just an 18 month can kick, with the vague intention of making a unicorn trade deal and ending free movement and using leprechauns to patrol the Irish border), then a vote to fix her deal seems very sensible.
Only the hard Brexiteers won't like it.

May would split her party, but hard brexit would destroy the Tory's reputation even more. People never forgave Labour for the winter of discontent. They won't forgive the Tories for the summer of shite if we crash out with no deal while the Tory old cunts brigade cheer it along.
The ERG failed in their coup and have little backbench support. May can survive their rebellion.
However, May is a coward and might just suffer hard Brexit because hard Brexit can be blamed on old Tories and (somehow) Corbyn opposing her deal, but if a compromise deal/vote went wrong then she gets the blame.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like European hospitals have started their no deal preparations by stockpiling any British made medical products.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure a no-deal Brexit would ruin the Tories. They clearly will have a core 30-35% of voters who will always vote for them. Any negative effects of no-deal will be successfully spun as the fault of the EU, Labour, Remainers, etc.

The Tories might lose the next election by a close amount but they will hang around like a bad smell.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Lol so if there was a GE tomorrow the Lib Dem's would hold the 2nd largest party. Corbyn has failed as the leader of Labour as he said to May, step aside.

No, that's leader's favourability ratings. Nothing to do with general election voting intentions. Generally it's a measure you can use to sense check how enthusiastic a party's supporters are.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Lol so if there was a GE tomorrow the Lib Dem's would hold the 2nd largest party. Corbyn has failed as the leader of Labour as he said to May, step aside.

It tells me that voters have bizarre standards, she's an endless disaster zone, appoints idiots to jobs they shouldn't have, and like Grayling yesterday is incapable of getting rid of dangerously bad people.

She should be lower than everyone except the nutter in charge of ukip, I can only think it's the incumbency effect holding her figures up.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure a no-deal Brexit would ruin the Tories. They clearly will have a core 30-35% of voters who will always vote for them. Any negative effects of no-deal will be successfully spun as the fault of the EU, Labour, Remainers, etc.
As long as the entire press and the BBC remain Tory propaganda, the party is shielded from any long-lasting consequence. The problem lies with the media of this country.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
The idea that Brexit will cause any lasting to the tories is wishful thinking at best.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
No, that's leader's favourability ratings. Nothing to do with general election voting intentions. Generally it's a measure you can use to sense check how enthusiastic a party's supporters are.

Ah I thought it was poll ratings I see now.
….no. The Lib Dems are dead
lol
It tells me that voters have bizarre standards, she's an endless disaster zone, appoints idiots to jobs they shouldn't have, and like Grayling yesterday is incapable of getting rid of dangerously bad people.

She should be lower than everyone except the nutter in charge of ukip, I can only think it's the incumbency effect holding her figures up.

She is a disaster, She was terrible as Home Sec and an even worse PM. It really is a tussle between May and Cameron for the worse PM title.

Eehhh...I wouldn't translate individuals' approval ratings to their respective parties. Labour would quite clearly be above LibDems.

Yeh I misread it at first I see now it's personal approval ratings, Corbyn has really sunk.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

At this point I'm convinced that 50 years from now the descendants of Yvette Fielding and Derek Acorah will be attempting to exorcise the ghost of May from no 10.

Nobody would survive this shit usually but since 2016 anything goes in politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.