• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Labour MP Chris Bryant will not push his amendment, which said the government could not bring the same deal back in front of MPs for a third meaningful vote, to a vote.

So, MPs are now voting on the government's Article 50 motion to seek permission from the EU to delay Brexit beyond 29 March.

The result is expected shortly.

I can't believe I'm saying this...but the chaos is fun...so...:

IllinformedTornDarklingbeetle-size_restricted.gif

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The EU aren't going to make something that changes nothing a condition for extension.
And yet they have said time and time again that should the UK want to have another referendum they would agree to an extension. Same for if there's a general election.

I don't know what conditions the EU is going to put on an extension, just that they're going to put conditions on an extension. They don't have to give the UK an extension after all, so they aren't going to agree to it without getting something in return.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
And yet they have said time and time again that should the UK want to have another referendum they would agree to an extension. Same for if there's a general election.

I don't know what conditions the EU is going to put on an extension, just that they're going to put conditions on an extension. They don't have to give the UK an extension after all, so they aren't going to agree to it without getting something in return.
Maybe you're right, but a second referendum just means we end up back in this same position again in a couple of months.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017

American here, so correct my ignorance, but the EU asking for a 2nd ref or a GE in exchange for an extension seems like the exact thing that would drive your tabloids mad lol.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Great, an extension....now we just need to figure out what it will be used for.

At least we will have elected officials to figure this one out.

Oh....oh wait.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
So am I correct in that they just voted for an extension but don't want to do either a referendum or a general election?

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
YES!

We've been given an Easter Special of The Greatest Show On Earth!

...providing The EU want to give us time to tie up loose plot points rather than cancel us.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Defeating that Benn amendment is annoying as that would of caused a GE

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only way forward I can see is if the EU impost a second referendum or an election as an absolute condition of an extension.

Quite frankly this parliament is never going to agree on anything.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Kick the can again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.....

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Bercow needs to deny MV3, only way we will move forward from having 'meaningful' votes on Mays 'new' deals for however long we manage to beg the EU for.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
American here, so correct my ignorance, but the EU asking for a 2nd ref or a GE in exchange for an extension seems like the exact thing that would drive your tabloids mad lol.

Just imagine the reaction from the Daily Mail commentariat lol.

I don't think the EU would dare use a 2nd referendum or GE as a condition for an extension because it would be viewed by Brexiters and the media as the EU directly interfering their country's own affairs, and it would only enforce the perception that the UK needs "take back control" from the big, bad EU. And if a 2nd referendum did happen on those terms, the Leave campaign would use it as fuel to drive more conspiracy theories and anti-EU sentiment amongst the public. I do think the UK's hand needs to be forced on a 2nd referendum, but I don't see the EU doing it at all.

I have no clue how the UK plans to get out of this, and it seems like the only winners in this (highly likely) no deal scenario are a few assholes in parliament and the disaster capitalists who will swoop down like vultures as everything goes to shit.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Can the government apply for extenuating circumstances to get a better deal on results day? Someone there must have had a second cousin or family pet die during the last few weeks; just say "it hampered my ability to do a trade deal" and they'll be golden!

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
German press already going "Brits begging for Brexit extension!" next few days will be greek crisis 2.0

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I see at least one of the EU member states voting down an extension just because of the way the UK has behaved.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Only way forward I can see is if the EU impost a second referendum or an election as an absolute condition of an extension.

Quite frankly this parliament is never going to agree on anything.

Nah, the Daily Mail and Sun headlines basically write themselves if they do that, skyrocketing EU resentment with the public.

EU DICTATES TO THE UK HOW WE CAN LEAVE! THOSE CONTROLLING UNELECTED EU OFFICIALS!

Then Leave would win another 2nd ref. No thank you.

Just revoke A50 pls.

Oct 28, 2017
A vote to (attempt to) delay leaving, and in the meantime, they'll all sit around and lick each others hoops. What the fuck is the point? Government won't call another election, there won't be another referendum when we look at the results of that vote, EU won't renegotiate. Hopeless shite.

Palloom

Oct 25, 2017
EU
Bercow needs to deny MV3, only way we will move forward from having 'meaningful' votes on Mays 'new' deals for however long we manage to beg the EU for.

He won't deny it, because he know it will fail and give May a mandate to pursue a long extension (and later a 2nd ref). Remember, MV3 is being presented as Deal vs Long Delay.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I see at least one of the EU member states voting down an extension just because of the way the UK has behaved.
No deal would have such devastating consequences in the short term that it would rattle the entire global economy (including everyone in the EU) and everyone knows it. If one country were to defect theyd lose the trust of the entire EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.