• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
British politics are unbelievable. This applies to both Tory and Labour:

tenor.gif

Both parties and leaders only seek power and nothing else.

It's funny to see discussion about how it's OK or not to repeat a vote depending on what is the vote about.

But in fact UK rejected everything so far except for an extension with no reason behind other than "we don't know what to do".

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
This is so hard to watch. I was under the impression that the referendum results are not legally binding, though the government did promise to do it. Why wouldn't you just revoke article 50?

Because, that technicality is irrelevant when the government sends out a leaflet to every household promising that they'd honour the result.

I hate it too, but revoking it is not a sensible way out - unless you want the likes of UKIP polling at 40% within weeks.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
So, in strong and stable news David Gauke and Richard Harrington were asked to resign yesterday by the whips, who promptly told them 'no', and so are still in their jobs because May can't sack them.

Meanwhile, just to show the utterly desperate state of Cox and his legal advice, he's now saying that we could revoke the withdrawal agreement under Article 62 of the Vienna Convention, which allows for the revoking of treaties after 'fundamental changes in circumstances'

The only problem is that 'fundamental change in circumstances' has been interpreted very narrowly in international law (a position supported by the UK in the past!), and events such as the fall of the Soviet Union or break up of Czechoslovakia haven't met the bar to be a fundamental change. Arguing this is basically screaming bad faith at the EU.

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the EU should include a semi poison pill in the delay agreement of the sort like 'we extend article 50 until march 2020, but the UK has to legally binding begin implementing the adoption of the euro and join the schengen agreement during this time' so that either their fully out or fully in afterwards and have a drastic incentive to make their mind up before March 29.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I feel like the EU should include a semi poison pill in the delay agreement of the sort like 'we extend article 50 until march 2020, but the UK has to legally binding begin implementing the adoption of the euro and join the schengen agreement during this time' so that either their fully out or fully in afterwards and have a drastic incentive to make their mind up before March 29.
Sure fire way to ensure hard no deal Brexit. :p

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Those would be really easy things to put in there that would have no effect whatsoever. They both come with a 'show 2 years of stability' clause.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad there's no HoC debate on this clusterfuck today, for the sake of my mental wellbeing.

Decades into the future this entire debacle will be the subject of countless "how on earth did this happen??" books.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What is Jeremy Vine on? Talking about politics and how eg the Brexit Secretary made a speech commending the extension to the house, then voted against it - i.e politics is broken

He's talking to the usual gammons and he is saying things like 'maybe Brussels played us, kept moving the goalposts'. The goalposts haven't moved. Brussels has been rock solid amongst all this shit. fucking hell

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
What is Jeremy Vine on? Talking about politics and how eg the Brexit Secretary made a speech commending the extension to the house, then voted against it - i.e politics is broken

He's talking to the usual gammons and he is saying things like 'maybe Brussels played us, kept moving the goalposts'. The goalposts haven't moved. Brussels has been rock solid amongst all this shit. fucking hell
It's honestly best to avoid listening to that knobhead.

I can't stand him.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

I think they've finally realized that the goalposts were where the EU had been saying they were all along. For them that must feel like they moved, even though they didn't.

Or they're an idiot. Could just be that.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
If Mark Rutte is actually pissed and not just temporarily annoyed, that's a pretty bad sign - the Dutch have historically been portrayed as more sympathetic to Britain in the EU. It takes only one leader to deny an extension, after all.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
If Mark Rutte is actually pissed and not just temporarily annoyed, that's a pretty bad sign - the Dutch have historically been portrayed as more sympathetic to Britain in the EU. It takes only one leader to deny an extension, after all.

Hes not going to veto anything, but it should be an indication of how the rest of the leaders think.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Love Wetherspoons, but Tim Martin is such a fucking wank.

Its chairman, Brexit supporter Tim Martin, who generally accompanies results announcements with his colourful opinions, expressed concern that Brexit would be reversed.

This, he said, would have "adverse economic consequences".

He blamed "the establishment" for a "barrage of negative economic forecasts".

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As someone who hasn't drunk alcohol in over 13 years and hates pubs and the typical people you find in them, I do actually go to spoons every now and then.

Only reason is they do a good vegetarian breakfast that ti's cheap. Wife convinced me and we go every now and then on a weekend.

Can't stand the brexit propaganda you get there though.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Wetherspoons is cheap in London, everywhere else though...

You can quite easily replicate the experience of a night in a Wetherspoons by buying a few cans, getting some microwave meals and inviting your mates round to sit with no music. Probably cheaper too

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
Hes not going to veto anything, but it should be an indication of how the rest of the leaders think.

I agree - Amsterdam is too "close" to London to do it, but I'm just struck by how pissed that quote sounds. It's just a bad sign, especially if another leader goes rogue and just says no. But I dunno, it could happen. The Brexit Show is giving us all the twists this season!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
The best part is, the people who actually want a no deal will still complain about the EU being bullies for not giving us an extension.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
The best part is, the people who actually want a no deal will still complain about the EU being bullies for not giving us an extension.

At this point it's clear that they have a pathological fixation on the EU, like a crazy stalker (soon ex) SO. Like my aunt's ex, who broke up with her and then started stalking and harrasaing her when she stopped responding. He told police he wants to talk to her to make sure she gets over him breaking up without any hard feelings.

Maybe they started to get high on their own supply and now actually believe the crap they and the rags peddled over decades and are paranoid the EU is out to get them. Maybe they're "only" trying to misdirect from their failures as usual.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

gives me so hope the public aren't completely insane after this week. It won't last but I I would have pulled my hair out if there was no movement at all after the recent shit show

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

gives me so hope the public aren't completely insane after this week. It won't last but I I would have pulled my hair out if there was no movement at all after the recent shit show

Thank fuck. Survation have been the most reliable the last few years so to see this fills me with hope that the country has some sense to not be voting for the tories after all th recent events.

Of course if the world was just the tories would be on 0% but sadly that's not the world we live in.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I met with Some UK producers last week. The smart ones who are dependend on UK business already incorporated somewhere else (Ireland mostly), and have stock on the mainland. The cost of preparations is ridiculous. They're holding extra stock of finished goods, raw materials, and are paying to stock it outside of their warehouses.

Status
Not open for further replies.