• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

gives me so hope the public aren't completely insane after this week. It won't last but I I would have pulled my hair out if there was no movement at all after the recent shit show

Good to see some positive signs, albeit small ones.
Survation have by far been the most accurate recently.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Wonder how much the DUP will wrangle out of the PM for backing her deal!

Also a colleague of mine who OH works for Debenhams reckons (might be staff BS) they are about to stop selling furniture and are going to blame Brexit, when it is a credit issue

so if you have a gift card or shares in DEB, get rid as once credit dries up they will be gone

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep trying to tell you not to worry about the polls. They'd change hourly at the moment if they were published that quickly.

One thing though where did TIG go? They were at like 18 one week. Do these ones just not ask about them?

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I keep trying to tell you not to worry about the polls. They'd change hourly at the moment if they were published that quickly.

One thing though where did TIG go? They were at like 18 one week. Do these ones just not ask about them?

TIG symptomatic of polls imo. Most people probably forgot about it. People are fickle/ignorant/forgetful/busy/uninterested.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Won't brave the weather to march for the 'freedom' of this country, but happily think others will to pick fruit.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
While I can kinda understand why Labour didn't support that particular amendment, punishing those that did so is the sort of nonsense that will backfire on them... again.
Theresa May being the weakest PM in history has made people forget how this is supposed to work:

If you are on the front bench, and you defy the whip, you get sacked. That's how it has worked for a century or more.

Corbyn is not in the same position of weakness as May, so any Shadow Ministers can and should be sacked for breaking ranks.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
Theresa May being the weakest PM in history has made people forget how this is supposed to work:

If you are on the front bench, and you defy the whip, you get sacked. That's how it has worked for a century or more.

Corbyn is not in the same position of weakness as May, so any Shadow Ministers can and should be sacked for breaking ranks.

Exactly. This is proper discipline. Things working as they should.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The stats on how much airtime UKIP got on QT are so damning. I used to rely on the BBC for good news coverage, but I gave up on them during the lead up to the referendum in 2016. They let the whole country down.

What eats me up the most is we're being forced to fund this company against our will. It's either have no TV at all or be forced to give them £150 s year all the while they promote this sort of stuff.

You're right though it was around the 2016 referendum that it seemed to all go off the cliff. I can remember making the decision to stick to Channel 4 for news around that time.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That healthcare tweet, never seen that one. What a prick.

Bet he wishes to be back in Brussels, Brexit to be stopped and get an MEP gig for the next session.

Stop voting these con artists into the EU, they are playing you like a fiddle. Silver lining they did it too well and screwed themselves.

May 26, 2018
So uh, if all this falls apart and Britain is like... 12-24 hours away from No Deal Armageddon

Parliament will just ride the Titanic to the sea floor? What are the thoughts here?

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
https://www.resetera.com/threads/bb...provide-their-viewpoint.105703/#post-18904905

How many more times will shit like that happen before we begin to accept the BBC are pushing this shit then?

Yup, fair enough, that's some stupid shit.

The BBC has copped a lot of flack, and rightly so, for its approach to 'balance', and this is a step even further down that road. I just don't think that makes them a 'far right' organisation. It makes them weak, if anything.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Yup, fair enough, that's some stupid shit.

The BBC has copped a lot of flack, and rightly so, for its approach to 'balance', and this is a step even further down that road. I just don't think that makes them a 'far right' organisation. It makes them weak, if anything.

The way the BBC covered the Scottish independence referendum was a mess and highly suspect too.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
May has only ever looked to the Right when it comes to showing up support. The notion of reaching across the aisle, or even talking to moderates in her own party, is utterly alien to her.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
The Observer reports that EU officials are wargaming for the collapse of Prime Minister May's government:

The document indicates [EC Secretary General Martin] Selmayr argued for a shorter Brexit delay than the three-month period currently being suggested. He warned that it risked leaving the EU paralysed if British MEPs were not elected in May's European parliament elections, but a new prime minister then revoked article 50 before July – when the European parliament first sits. "We should not run that risk," he told the EU's member states on Friday evening.

...However, it has now emerged that Selmayr advised the ambassadors that in such a scenario a new incumbent in Downing Street could revoke article 50 in the period between May and July, leaving the UK as a member state but without MEPs. This would leave the EU "paralysed" as its institution's decision-making would be liable to legal challenge, the bloc's legal experts warned.

A pretty strong that Britain is simply running out of road with Europe, and the EU is growing more viscerally concerned about its own integrity. The meeting was also portrayed harshly regarding the PM herself: she didn't make sense before why should she now' when they discussed the UK's potential rationalization for an A50 extension.

The people who are giving up on Theresa May are the people in Brussels who used to show a lot more flexibility than the ERG ever did. Is she going to have enough time or authority to keep the EU onside, never mind the ultras? (Whoever leaked this thinks not, eh?)

Via https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/16/eu-war-gaming-for-fall-of-theresa-may-government

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
If we go for a long extension I can see the EU elections being a nightmare, and there will be a surge more right and we will elect all sort of loonies

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
What's the other half of the confirmation ballot though
Multiple senior figures in Labour have said they would push for Remain being on the ballot, so they'd probably be able to force Corbyn to support that even though he doesn't want it there.

I could see a referendum ending up being one of,

May Deal vs Remain
May Desl vs Remain vs No Deal
May Deal vs Remain vs Labour deal of Unicorns and magic rainbows

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
So it's gonna be

Do you want Mays deal?
Yes
No (No deal?)

That text doesn't sound like remain is gonna be on the ballot.
Have people vote on something they don't understand. Worked well the first time.

I think there would be an open revolt in Labour if it wasn't on the ballot.

But yeah, if May was smart, she would immediately take this. Unfortunately, placating the ERG/DUP and telling everyone else to fuck off seems to be her definition of consensus.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Still don't think there's a majority for a referendum. Last weeks vote showed that even with labour voting for it there's not enough to get it through. Not enough tories will support it.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Still don't think there's a majority for a referendum. Last weeks vote showed that even with labour voting for it there's not enough to get it through. Not enough tories will support it.

334 voted against it last week. Get 30 of them on side with the argument that 'this is the only way of getting May's deal through' and they win.

May of course would rather try to convince the die hards in her own party to back her deal, even though that'll never work.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
334 voted against it last week. Get 30 of them on side with the argument that 'this is the only way of getting May's deal through' and they win.

May of course would rather try to convince the die hards in her own party to back her deal, even though that'll never work.
I see what you're getting at but he seems to frame it otherwise:

Also can i say that the idea of a referendum with more than two choices seems like a recipe for disaster.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

This is my feeling as well. The die-harders won't go for it, but some more moderate Tories (for example Scottish Tories looking worriedly at poll numbers) would probably shift sides if May gave it her blessing.

I imagine the EU would probably allow an extension to take place as it unblocks things (either the WA down the road or we revoke Article 50). We'd have to take part in elections as it's the only sane choice for ANY extension, although I wouldn't put it past TM to screw the pooch by making this another of her fucking stupid red lines.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I think involving May's deal is the only way a ref gets through. Though I'm not sure if you can win 30 over on a referendum with remain on the ballot, which it has to have to be of any value.

I see what you're getting at but he seems to frame it otherwise:

Also can i say that the idea of a referendum with more than two choices seems like a recipe for disaster.

Totally agree it has to be a 2-choicer. Personally I'm fine with multiple choice with maybe a ranking system, but the ensuing arguments no matter the result would be incredibly counterproductive.

Corbyn's problem is that all of Labour's moves are in the guise of 'stopping a damaging tory brexit'. It's constantly reactive, and everything is a wait and see. Of course he'd vote remain over May's deal, but ask him about Labours deal vs remain and he wouldn't have an answer, or just say Labours deal and piss a bunch of people off.

Can honestly see May machinating towards a ref of her deal vs no deal. In which case I have an aneurysm. I'm not the most ideological of types but it'd be a tempting thing to boycott, disastrous no deal asides.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.