• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017

Probably for the better. It's so out of character that Merkel wins nothing by addressing it. Anybody remotely familiar with German politics knows it's bunk and those who believe it won't be convinced of the contrary because they are just looking for affirmation.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine believing one second that this kind of statement can come from Merkel. Things are getting ridiculously stupid. Also that's why you can never believe UK press "inside info" in anything EU related.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Counting the days till The Sun starts putting out covers with Merkel doing the goose step.
Inb4
angela-merkel-depicted-as-a-nazi-on-cover-of-greek-newspaper.jpg

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
One thing is clear though, that call rattled Boris/Dom Cum to the point of going full Trump with their version of the story.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
A thread of sensible reflection on this morning's bullshit:

Anyone or reporting on this at face value is doing their profession, and the entire country, a massive disservice.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
So the gov grand plan is to try to be seen not wanting an extension whilst requesting one, making it public well before they need to, great.

They are in a right bind, and trying half assedly to get some sort if deal since they fucked it and need to at least try, lest they get kicked out of power, for however long.

Classic dom(you can pick the type) mixed in with classic may.

As far as I can make any sense, this gov is determined to dive head first in the problems that plagued may gov, but believe it can overcome them because a male is in charge, and men know better. They have effectively copied the previous gov strategy, but worse, and then even copied the two kingmaker adviser roles may had with bojos gf and Cummings having his ear.

When they ask for the extension, it's going to break the cons in the eyes of many voters. Any further extension is intolerable to brexiter and hc leaver, no matter if bojo is seen as allowing it to happen, or not. Bxp will unleash hell on the cons. It wont matter if the cons try and campaign on no deal, they wont as it breaks them too, no dealers will flock to farage whilst the cons still insist a deal could be done. It's an almost carbon copy of what happened to may and the process that Gov took, just in turbo mode.

Cummings has fucked it, again.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Mastermind at play here.

Merkel and tusk are meeting later today and will have a press conference this evening.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I'm starting to think that N10 may be panicking a tad right now.

The idiots have three camps on one building trying to out snipe each other. Its becoming a battle ground in that place. With bojo trying to piss off and leaving it to others to pick shit up.

Its chaos in there and as much as Cummings wants it this way, it fucking clear he cant make anything out of said chaos. He fucked it calling off parliament, and then fucked it with the SC ruling.

Panic for no.10 is the right word.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Merkel always keeps open all options as long as possible. Doesn't sound like her at all.
Yeah, whoever wrote that is a moron. I'll believe Merkel to make clear and concise statements - of whatever shape or form - , about the same time hell freezes over and Trump starts to sound like a smart and cultured personality.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, whoever wrote that is a moron. I'll believe Merkel to make clear and concise statements - of whatever shape or form - , about the same time hell freezes over and Trump starts to sound like a smart and cultured personality.

What, Merkel being a politician through and through instead of a populist dumbo? Mild shock.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've kept really quiet but I'll tell you something, he went down in my estimations when he said that. We have not resorted to that. You can tell him now, we're still fighting for this deal and we've got to go to Brussels and get something.

And I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if we beat them. Love it.

JYTnRYw.png

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Didn't expect the FT to come out as Pro-Corbyn.

They've been blowing hot and cold recently (I suspect the editorial staff is divided). They're in a the same boat as a lot of establishment voices, trapped between two unfavourable outcomes and grudgingly coming out in favour of Corbyn, as the damage - as they see it - will only be temporary with a Labour government, while the no-deal Brexit favoured by the Conservatives under Johnson will have negative repercussions for decades.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So the government is blatantly and transparantly ignoring any kind of Parliamentary oversight and just saying that whatever they say, goes?

Fucking hell

Doesn't help that most newspapers that people see every day are trotting out a Gov friendly version of the situation, and any 'proper' news is so obsessed with being 'balanced' that it doesn't bother to fact check or challenge anything and just provides a soapbox for whatever soundbites the government and supporters want to get out.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017

I've kept really quiet but I'll tell you something, he went down in my estimations when he said that. We have not resorted to that. You can tell him now, we're still fighting for this deal and we've got to go to Brussels and get something.

And I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if we beat them. Love it.

JYTnRYw.png

:-)

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Ambassador of Latvia to the United Kingdom showing how easily smaller member states will be pushed around

Not.

Smaller states can be as fierce as bigger ones if not more on account of having to fend off larger rivals on regular basis. The Baltics will have none of that.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it seems they wanna be able to just say they
Ambassador of Latvia to the United Kingdom showing how easily smaller member states will be pushed around

Not.

Smaller states can be as fierce as bigger ones if not more on account of having to fend off larger rivals on regular basis. The Baltics will have none of that.

Why, it's almost as if half the purpose of the bloc is to give smaller states a disproportionate amount of power by giving them the weight of all the other states put together.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Another poll showing stagnation for Labour and votes consolidating for Tory despite the horrible performance of the government. I guess radicalization pays better than fence sitting.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Another poll showing stagnation for Labour and votes consolidating for Tory despite the horrible performance of the government. I guess radicalization pays better than fence sitting.

Yeah, I'm really surprised there's so many comments suggesting that Bojo's government has fucked it.

In real terms, yes of course they have. Nothing they try succeeds but then their only aim is to force an election, which was bound to happen anyway and then play the people vs parliament and the judiciary card.

The problem is, that's going to work.

Alongside the hardcore Brexiteers who are all a bit mad, there are a lot of ordinary people who are sick of Brexit. They also see the constant shenanigans in the courts and parliament as trying to get Brexit reversed. Now of course, the only people abusing our democracy are already in power but the polls and vox pops show that that message isn't getting out.

If comes to an election, I see no way the Tories are not still getting the majority of the vote. The reality of the situation doesn't matter. October 31 is now "Brexit" all encompassing. Tories and their supportive rags are doing a great job of making it seems like a rich cadre of white men with dodgy finance and untold nepotism are on the side of the common man and woman.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Labour need to sort it out...

I don't think the general public really appreciates a message of further uncertainty tbh.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Johnson just trying to piss off as many EU leaders as possible so they don't agree to an extension? aka the Hail Mary tactic?

Status
Not open for further replies.