• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
An extremely limited reading of 'democracy' to boot. The referendum vote has undoubted power and meaning, but it's not as if democracy just stops, or is only about a vote.

Also ignores the context of the lies told in the referendum campaign.

"getting a deal will be easy", "we will hold all the cards" etc. Repeatedly proven wrong in the subsequent years.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Labour MPs thinking of supporting Johnson's deal would do well to remember, given how much the overton window has shifted over the last 3 years, that they would be supporting almost the hardest of Brexits; the kind of 'deal' that would be massively damaging jobs, businesses and vulnerable people they purport to stand up for. Fear of an unlikely no deal outcome is no excuse for backing Johnson's garbage.

This. I can't see how Corbyn could allow it without consequences.

Oct 26, 2017

Qc1Dx3Y.png
Qc1Dx3Y.png

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
When you think of it this deal could be quite an economic boost for Northern Ireland, but DUP doesn't care about that.

Yep. Northern Ireland remaining in the EU systems and becoming the entry way to the UK economy would be huge for them. Any rational person would favour that arrangement if you were in Northern Ireland - but the DUP are far from rational.

The rest of the deal still stinks, and it's absurd how May's deal was too weak and generous but this one is somehow better when it's actually worse in every respect.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
So either MPs agree to a deal now or they will once boris wins the election. Labour might aswell vote for it because they'll get hammered with the "you delayed brexit" punchline.

Pretty dire outlook.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yep. Northern Ireland remaining in the EU systems and becoming the entry way to the UK economy would be huge for them. Any rational person would favour that arrangement if you were in Northern Ireland - but the DUP are far from rational.

The rest of the deal still stinks, and it's absurd how May's deal was too weak and generous but this one is somehow better when it's actually worse in every respect.

Actually, what's being proposed is problematic because essentially NI will become the EU border, and goods coming from the UK will be just as expensive to ship to NI as they'll be to ship to France. Given the way supply chains are you're talking about either completely changing the supply chain into NI or importing a shit ton of inflation as the costs rise.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I think(?) that's been pointed out before, and it can be reversed by another act of parliament. If there's a majority for the deal there's a majority to amend anything like this that it requires.

In what, less than 10 days with all the other legislation that's required to get through before the deal is ratified, yeah right theres no chance.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

New poll shows slight support for honouring the referendum result. It's a big one, 26,000 people.

I have no idea how Com Res are percievied as apolling agency but this makes for depressing reading. I was sincerely hoping that the obvious difficulties in even leaving the union would make people realise how stupid the referendum was in the first place.

The absolute dedication to "democracy" above any sensibility is dumbfounding at this point.

I imagine some of that will be brexit fatigue. But that is both depressing and worrying - that something so potentially damaging to so many people for so long (including my children) could be passed due to people just not caring any more

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
What do the DUP think will happen if they are seen to move NI away from the Union? Unionist terrorists still exist and would almost certainly see the DUP's stance as a betrayal.
Imagine Sinn Féin rocking up to Westminster and backing a no deal Brexit with a hard Irish border. They could never set foot in Ireland again, North or South. The DUP will effectively be doing the same. Brave, stupid or greedy, my guess is the latter.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
foster saying that we need a settlement for nationalists and unionists is interesting. dup would definitely need a lot of political finesse to sell their backing of a border in the Irish Sea

brexit writers need to justify this weak retread of the 'will the dup turn and back the deal now??? dun dun dun' storyline tbh, they beat that dramatic material to death in the earlier season.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
This back and forth between Boris and DUP could also just be a good cop/bad cop routine for whatever the next move is.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I think(?) that's been pointed out before, and it can be reversed by another act of parliament. If there's a majority for the deal there's a majority to amend anything like this that it requires.
Sort of... you could actually vote for the deal and then vote against this. Would be a far less politically charged way to crash the deal.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
So... why are the ERG so focused on the DUP? Surely they don't actually care about the DUP. Are they just a conveinent excuse to push for a harder Brexit?

Also, fuck me if the entire country isn't being held to ransom by a bunch of right wing loons.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
I imagine some of that will be brexit fatigue. But that is both depressing and worrying - that something so potentially damaging to so many people for so long (including my children) could be passed due to people just not caring any more

So here's some feedback on that poll, as was mentioned earlier in the thread. Lumping leave and leave no matter what together is a bit tricksy.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
So... why are the ERG so focused on the DUP? Surely they don't actually care about the DUP. Are they just a conveinent excuse to push for a harder Brexit?

Also, fuck me if the entire country isn't being held to ransom by a bunch of right wing loons.

There's a small branch in the ERG who are concerned about Unionism (of course that does take you down the path that Brexit is pretty bad for the union) but there's probably less than 10 of them in that camp, there's another camp of about 10 or so who are basically dead set against any deal will use the DUP to avoid Johnson bringing the deal to parliament because they don't want to vote for it and Johnson will make it a losing the whip matter to do so.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Lol so not only did they publish a report that was designed to look as bad as possible by ignoring anything that offset the costs, they also lied about the figure in the first place.

They're really fucking scared of Labour, huh?

Them refusing to release the breakdown of how they came to that figure is also pretty telling.
Many news organisations also pushed the CBI's report completely uncritically.

It's a rigged system, which is all the more reason why it needs to be changed.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if they shifted position and the DUP just don't know yet.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Maybe the UK negotiators accepted the new proposals on consent without the DUP's consent, lol.

Wouldn't put it past them. Its becoming clear the gov is negotiating first agreeing first and then asking the dup after. They are running head first into May's issues, only at a accelerated rate. Should arrive at the same outcome that may came to (deal flailing) much quicker to.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Looks like the UK Government is trying to bounce the DUP by agreeing stuff with the EU (or giving the impression at least), leaking it and then watching the DUP reaction before backtracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.