• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me if Bojo skips the debates too tbh. He has been avoiding PMQs because he knows he's shit at it and every attempt at a public statement from him has been a disaster so far. They're even struggling to get his "surrender act" line to stick.

That's very true . His focus has all been on hitting the road.

That's also led to numerous embarrassing encounters. I can only hope there are more whenever the election is called. Johnson get's his own "bigoted woman" moment.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, parliament is shut down again but for a normal period of time, he can't call a general election though so basically they don't want scrutinised over this period and that's it. God, this is so ughhh. Fast forward to the extension hoopla already.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
You really don't see how it's different?

Johnson doesn't have anything to offer in an election campaign. Literally his only success in politics is cos people think he's good at banter. It's not the London Mayoral elections and the Tories are in disarray. Why do you think the press is fighting so fucking hard to keep Labour down?

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
the queen gets dragged down to parliament to lay out the government agenda literally a few weeks before we'll break for an election.

She might as well do a party political broadcast for them on the BBC

What's the point of letting a minority government that's weeks away from a GE have a queen's speech? They can lay out all the plans in the world, they're in no position to enact any of it. It's just more stalling.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of letting a minority government that's weeks away from a GE have a queen's speech? They can lay out all the plans in the world, they're in no position to enact any of it. It's just more stalling.

It's not stalling - it's literally getting the Queen to read out a political campaign speech. Boris will be able to run on all the phantom, made up promises she has to read out.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Obligatory reminder that they then produced what can only be described as a suicidal manifesto after May got high on her own farts.

Now that the Tories are pretending to care about spending on public services and nicking Labour policies I don't see 2017 repeating itself. That 2017 manifesto had foxhunting in it for god's sake, plus the policy about forcing old people to sell their homes to pay for care.

This...it does not get mentioned enough, May run the worst campaign possible, and still pulled close to 40% of votes, her manifesto was Horrendous. Sure Corbyn done better than expected, but he should never of lost, he was up against an opponent who at every turn shot herself in her foot

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
This...it does not get mentioned enough, May run the worst campaign possible, and still pulled close to 40% of votes, her manifesto was Horrendous. Sure Corbyn done better than expected, but he should never of lost, he was up against an opponent who at every turn shot herself in her foot

I just don't think you can apply this old logic to the current electorate.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
fuck emma, shes a fucking disgrace. shes my mp and we are already one of the worse off areas and will probably be worse off if we leave as the tory cunts won't care about us plus she turned round on tv and said she'd make a deal with the brexit party. fuck off just resign and join the tories or brexit party like you want. cunt.

Fcuk these labour MP's. These people had a deal with Theresa May and voted it down.

This isn't on the EU. They already did their part and the UK parliamentary said no. Now we have some fantasy deal which ignores the major issue of Ireland but these Labour MP's seem to ignore that and just want to get it done.

Sick of these line that 'the British people just want it over'. Where is the evidence for this?

They act like the many that want brexit stopped are all on board now as long as a deal is done regardless of what that deal actually is.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Johnson doesn't have anything to offer in an election campaign. Literally his only success in politics is cos people think he's good at banter. It's not the London Mayoral elections and the Tories are in disarray. Why do you think the press is fighting so fucking hard to keep Labour down?

The only chance for something to radically change is that Boris to not get away without asking for an extension and Farage to eat his votes. But we already know that Boris will run a "people Vs. Parliament" campaign if that happens and it remains to be seen if that will be successful in keeping the votes or they reach a pact with Farage.

But even then the situation is nothing like 2017.

Really curious to see the polls in case of an extension.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
This is a load of what ifs

there is confirmed 19 Labour MPs who will back a deal, if they get many more any deal he gets could squeak through

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Didn't she have fox hunting in it among other complete own goals.

I remember reading that the tories have promised British citizens outside the UK a vote but have failed to deliver this two or three times now, not sure if that is 100% true but interesting they've never followed through if true, I guess the votes wouldn't go their way?

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a load of what ifs

there is confirmed 19 Labour MPs who will back a deal, if they get many more any deal he gets could squeak through

He isn't getting a deal unless he makes some big changes. That would mean chucking the DUP under the bus and accepting NI stays in a custom union on all goods.

Johnson won't do that. They want to try and argue the case to the EU that a deal will now get through parliament but the problem they have is the EU will not back down from this and nor should they. Peace in Ireland and protecting the single market is far more important than getting the UK out of a hole caused by their own making.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't want no deal or some May/Boris type deal to happen but would love to see what these MPs who would hypothetically vote it through would say afterwards when the shit hits the fan, well you asked for it, your suppose to know more than us and vote for the best interests of country and people, really, well yeah but you wanted this, yeah but but...what a shitshow. They'll hand wave the blame 100% when they didn't do their job.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want no deal or some May/Boris type deal to happen but would love to see what these MPs who would hypothetically vote it through would say afterwards when the shit hits the fan, well you asked for it, your suppose to know more than us and vote for the best interests of country and people, really, well yeah but you wanted this, yeah but but...what a shitshow. They'll hand wave the blame 100% when they didn't do their job.

its all the fault of those gosh-darned remoaners for not believing enough

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why people are so confused by Labour's Brexit policy.

At its heart, they're a remain party. However, just cancelling Brexit is going to lead to a lot of shit because we're ignoring the democratic will of the people. The only way to cut that one off at the knees is for the people to decide democratically to remain. Which means a fair referendum is required (one where a real Brexit deal is put up against a real Remain deal rather than a collection of contradictory unicorns against reality, and where everyone who should have a say gets one). It seems likely that any actual Brexit deal loses horribly to Remain in a fair fight. But if there's even the slightest chance of ending up with another Leave vote, then that Leave needs to be a sane version negotiated in good faith, and it doesn't take an expert to realise that this isn't something May or Johnson have left us with.

Now, you might not agree with that. But claiming it's in any way confusing or unclear is beyond me. It's quite a pragmatic approach.

I don't necessarily think that it's confusing as such, but it doesn't exactly lend itself well to doorstep conversations and the like.

I just don't know how much of the population is ready to jump on board with a policy which is promoting an ambiguous* future - not only for the country, but for the leadership of the governing party.

It is pragmatic, I just don't know if we're beyond that.

it's clearly not working from a polling perspective

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
EGX86qAW4AAl73o

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
All polls taken before we don't leave on Oct 31st are pretty much worthless.

Johnson has staked his entire premiership on that date. The BXP and Farage have been totally sidelined because the Government itself being so hardline there's no need to look elsewhere for hardliners.

The second the clock ticks into November and we are still in the EU, everything changes.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
All polls taken before we don't leave on Oct 31st are pretty much worthless.

Johnson has staked his entire premiership on that date. The BXP and Farage have been totally sidelined because the Government itself being so hardline there's no need to look elsewhere for hardliners.

The second the clock ticks into November and we are still in the EU, everything changes.

I hope you're right. Feels like one heck of an uphill battle right now.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine that the Tories are approaching this in such a hardline manner, because they know that they'll lose ground to the BXP in any general election - an election which is inevitably coming soon because of their own numbers in Parliament.

Deliver Brexit without an extension - then the BXP are dead.

Of course, that'd probably split the vote and leave them without a majority - but then it's not like the Remain vote isn't going to be split (and I can't see the Lib Dems OR Labour getting a majority) also based on the present.

Ugh, it's going to be a mess.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people have asked how we can leave with no deal by Oct 31st if the Government is going to comply with the law, but one thing I don't see people asking Brexiteers is how the Benn Act affects our negotiating position if it hasn't taken no deal off the table. The amount of morons who buy the Government's shit really infuriates me.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
It's a crying shame Cummings will have been banned forever from actual politics by the time the UK needs to negotiate with the EU (assuming Brexit finally happens), because his talent for brinkmanship would provide endless drama.

This is the easiest part of Brexit and they are already fucking up each day every day in novel ways. Can you imagine this galaxy brain trying to negotiate fishing quotas, agrifood tariffs, market access and defence policies while fending off individual states willing to impose their individual interests through the combined strenght of the Union?

There can't be enough coke in the world to get him through that.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is the irony of it all.

Sovereignty, giving full and willful power to things that require a lot of negotiation to a group of people who have the acumen of a single celled creature.

Quite how anyone thinks, or feels happy, to hand over such a financially important set of negotiations to them, rather than those from 27 countries, that have the power of a large trading block behind them is beyond me, can you imagine how the 2 world wars that the leavers bang on about would have panned out if the UK had said, nope, we don't want assistance from the numerous other countries, or the resistances inside those captured countries, we're Britain don't you know, we don't need anyone, we can stand on our own two feet.

But apparently the EU is on the brink of collapse (has been for 30 years from my memory) and something about Dunkirk, Churchill and 1966.

Status
Not open for further replies.