• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
"If 17.4 million people marched outside Parliament against Brexit 😏"

10024399.jpg
LOL 👌

The way things are going with Turkey and Trump, there are significant odds of the EU being more stringent than previously expected. Brexit is a time sink at a moment when time and proper coordination may be precious.

To be fair, what's the point of him showing up? He can't really answer any questions about the extension.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Incredibly weak from the "moderates" in the party.

Not really sure what they can do. He's got the overwhelming support of his party members, is just elected, the party is polling well. And it's not as if he's throwing down the gauntlet saying "thanks for your concern, but it's no deal and you can all shut up and lump it", he's being conciliatory to them, and it's hard to flounce (not that many would) when someone isn't arguing with you. All they can do is accept it and see what the manifesto says.

I do think Johnson might moderate a bit post 31st of October. Not because he'll want to but everyone is still saying Cummings will have left by then for an operation which will require prolonged recuperation. Once Cummings goes, Johnson will start listening to Lister more which should tone down the rhetoric a wee bit, but it'll get a lot worse before it gets better.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
It's not like there's a recent history of a Conservative party leader promising potentially rebellious MPs something only to betray them and do the opposite.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Not really sure what they can do. He's got the overwhelming support of his party members, is just elected, the party is polling well. And it's not as if he's throwing down the gauntlet saying "thanks for your concern, but it's no deal and you can all shut up and lump it", he's being conciliatory to them, and it's hard to flounce (not that many would) when someone isn't arguing with you. All they can do is accept it and see what the manifesto says.

I do think Johnson might moderate a bit post 31st of October. Not because he'll want to but everyone is still saying Cummings will have left by then for an operation which will require prolonged recuperation. Once Cummings goes, Johnson will start listening to Lister more which should tone down the rhetoric a wee bit, but it'll get a lot worse before it gets better.

I suppose this is more of a shot across the boughs then. Reminding him that there are a lot of moderate Tories and he has to placate them and not just the ERG.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm more convinced journalists just tweet any old shite than they're constantly getting conflicting official reports

Yeah, i don't think the speed of reporting everything is helping the situation, the power struggle in Number 10, the game playing with parliament and the EU, plus Boris being a lying swine just magnifies it.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Can some journalist please just observe Larry the cat. Someone needs to collapse the wavefunction at Downing Street and resolve the superposition.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Af Neil tonight asked Tony Blair, what is the greater threat..A Corbyn Gov or no deal, he thinks for a few secs then replies the immediate threat is No Deal, but I have huge reservations about Corbyn

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Wait...

Would this pretty much consist of them sending a letter asking for an extension - alongside another asking for them to ignore it and to allow no deal to occur by default?

That's a ballsy and very silly plan.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as long as he sends the letter he's legally supposed to send he can do whatever he wants. Just drop the rest in the bin with the other junk mail.

actually he should probably send them a Christmas card because we'll still be here in December.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Another great plan that was already shown to be not how any of this works several times weeka ago. BoJo has nothing. It's becoming pretty embarassing. Let the grown ups talk EU stuff and sit in your corner, dude.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I mean,does anyone in the EU think that this letter is from Boris? They all know he does not want an extension

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
So, to the surprise of nobody, the "party of law and order" are once again publicly showing their complete contempt for it? I hope history looks back on this Government as an utter disgrace because right now too much of the public support it, and that continues to terrify me.

Fortunately, I can't possibly see what damage a second letter could do to an extension. The EU already well know Johnson doesn't want it but if they decide to grant one he'll be forced to accept it. All another letter can do is offer more bluster.

Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017
Isn't a second letter all risk for no reward? The EU will just ignore it and offer an extension that he has to accept, and in the meantime he could potentially be prosecuted for breaking the law anyway if that is interpreted to be acting against the spirit of the law. So he would risk jail for nothing. Seems stupid (so pretty appropriate I suppose)

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
It is immensely frustrating to see journalists complicit in letting politicians spew lies and falsehoods and genuinely incorrect ideas into the debate. Even if they refute them, they still let those politicians get their 'side' out.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Anyway, thread here about Phil Hammond's analysis of the benefits of any new trade deals. It'd be nice if this had been discussed years ago.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
It is immensely frustrating to see journalists complicit in letting politicians spew lies and falsehoods and genuinely incorrect ideas into the debate. Even if they refute them, they still let those politicians get their 'side' out.

I understand your point, but I'm not really sure how that could work in actuality, nor would it necessarily be good for journalism.

Re: Your mention of specifically not allowing them to get their 'side' out.

Deleted member 13077

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand your point, but I'm not really sure how that could work in actuality, nor would it necessarily be good for journalism.

Re: Your mention of specifically not allowing them to get their 'side' out.

I think this is true. I think the biggest issue is that we have a number of journalists and correspondents presenting spin as fact, or at least as a credible line of questioning for opposition.

Thread favourite Laura K is a great example of this, as is every interview Andrew Neil has done that I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.