• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
You imagine the scenes if he gets a deal through by 1 vote.

Surely though an instant VONC would stop it in its track

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this like musical chairs, when the music stops you don't want to be one without the 'not my fault' chair?

Everyone will be doing a press conference every hour up until the deadline, yeah totally open to a deal, working on it, definetly possible.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is this like musical chairs, when the music stops you don't want to be one without the 'not my fault' chair?

Everyone will be doing a press conference every hour up until the deadline, yeah totally open to a deal, working on it, definetly possible.

I think we are about to witness the birth of a fudge so fantastic that even Willy Wonka would find it unbelievable.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Exactly. Until the terms of any agreement are written down in LEGAL text, not just explanatory notes, no one should think there's anything close to a deal there. This is the 'Ireland isn't being obstructive' stage of the dance.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
That makes me so angry and people support this mob. At least it passed without them, not a good look that 140+ voted against it, not just the Brexit Party.

it passed? That's a relief. I've been out with crappy reception so just got the headlines without the details.

They're so transparent, I live in hope that Farage's shady business catches up with him soon.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can only hope but he is a slippery fish toeing the line probably. Would do anything for money. Bet he doesn't even want the UK to leave the EU because he wouldn't be getting paid although annoyingly he has a pension.

The resolution, which passed with 469 votes to 143 against (and 47 abstentions)

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017

pZBcSz4.png

Please note that Hodges is one of the most insufferable Brexit cheerleaders out there.

Edit: aaaaay

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
This is when we find out that Boris has the Trump virus and basically goes along with whatever the last person he talked to says.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh please be the case that Boris blinked. I need to see how the right wing press spin that.

For 3 years we have been told the EU will back down.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
If the past few years have taught us anything it should be that the press will manage to spin it and Boris will look like some kind of Brexiteer hero

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I hope we are not briefed"

they don't want to hear it. Johnson was the chosen one and he's about to run into the same brick wall as May.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
It's just another case of Boris saying something to Varadkar, and then tomorrow something else to the press. And then the actually document he might have promised will say something else entirely, which is then rejected by the EU, and then they talk again and blah blah blah and the pound crashes again and Boris's friends make more money from shorting, etc etc.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I think the novel bit here is that some Tories seem to be legit scared of whatever was uttered during that meeting. That'd be something new, even if Boris does another 180.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Whatever it is, conservative personalities are already spinning it as "see, the negotiations were serious and for real, not like the EU said".

No matter the outcome, this is a shitshow in the making.

Yeah, but if it's based on literally nobody talking about the contents of the discussion, surely it'll last a day at best?

Mind you, the RW media ran with that "deal in 30 days thanks to Merkel" nonsense for ages even though it was immediately debunked.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Meh I'm calling BS, it's up to Barnier not Varadker, EU needs to approve it and even then I don't think BJ can find a majority in the HoC

Last edited:

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Surely there isn't even enough time to get any deal through parliament before 31st October now, especially with the Tories having prorogued it.
Even then, literally the best deal Johnson can really come back with is May's deal and a border in the Irish Sea, which Labour will most likely reject, the Lib Dems will reject, the SNP will reject, the DUP will reject...there just wouldn't be the numbers to get it through.

killer_clank

Oct 25, 2017
Surely there isn't even enough time to get any deal through parliament before 31st October now, especially with the Tories having prorogued it.
Even then, literally the best deal Johnson can really come back with is May's deal and a border in the Irish Sea, which Labour will most likely reject, the Lib Dems will reject, the SNP will reject, the DUP will reject...there just wouldn't be the numbers to get it through.

I do worry about the Labour MPs though, that group of 20 or so that sent the letter to Juncker asking for a deal any deal are really annoying. Suspect some of them would wilt and no one wants to be the Labour MP who hands Johnson a massive victory but they do have the potential to give a plan a majority.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's alright, they're working (one) Saturday.

If it's anything like the Saturdays I used to work, 75% of it would be spent down the cafe getting a bacon sandwich.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Will be pretty funny to see people claim victory for boris when he agrees to the backstop (NI only) the EU originally wanted.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
"This would see NI leave the EU customs union with the rest of the UK but it would be treated administratively as if it was part of it"

This is absolute jibberish
It leaves the customs union but actually stays in it.

Sounds a lot like the troika will leave greece but the institutions will still monitor it.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
They should do the whole of the UK like that, just teach EU politicians and staff to speak in a funny British accent and wear bowler hats.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
"This would see NI leave the EU customs union with the rest of the UK but it would be treated administratively as if it was part of it"
This is absolute jibberish

It is, trying to make sense of it:

So FCA (dual customs border) just for NI a la @MESandbu & @RaoulRuparel? If Ireland and EU willing to accept it, could work.

Lots of people misunderstood the proposal at the time. The EU issue with FCA was that it's difficult to know when final sale is UK or EU, which could give UK industries an unfair competitive advantage.

Actual process of running dual tariff regime fairly straightforward: First, pay higher tariff/EU upon import, then a) If importer demonstrates final sale in (lower tariff) UK claims rebate; or b) trusted companies pay correct tariff on import dependent on point of final sale

Anyway, who knows if this is what the plan is. Guess we'll find out tomorrow. In practical terms, means NI in customs union with EU, but politically speaking not quite.

Addendum: so question is whether EU would accept Chequers but just for NI. Risks to single market lower than all-UK, but still present.

And to be clear, I have no inside insight on this - I am going off this thread by the well-informed
@denisstaunton

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Cos that's not gonna piss Scotland off 🙄

Not that any consideration of Scotland has happened during this entire ordeal.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How could having NI in a different customs union to the rest of the UK work? Wouldn't the unionists have a shit fit?

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Thread on what the development might be:

Another time to remind ourselves of the overriding, bigger-picture question around Brexit... what is the fucking point? If ever there was a perfect example of not being able to see the forest for the trees, this is it.

Really now the only reason we have left to tell ourselves we MUST leave the EU is because we said we would. Not even the 'will of the people' argument cuts it anymore.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Extinction Rebellion (or a member of) are on Question Time tonight.

That's actually pretty fucking cool of the Beeb.

Status
Not open for further replies.