• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Ahahah. So, ironically... the EU will still "control" us.

I fucking love it. I can't wait to watch the gammons jump through hoops to justify the deal with that in it.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
This week has been exhausting. Just a torrent of speculation, each tweet or headline contradicting the last.

An amendment to include a confirmatory referendum would be good but I don't see it getting the votes.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017

(thread)

Seems BJ conceded on the LPF

Well, he's fucked it.

ERG will be baying for blood. They won't give a single shit if the whip is withdrawn, LPF was the killer for a good deal of them with May and the no dealers fucking hate it with a passion.

But won't be surprised of this was the play for BoJo anyway, concede a fuckton and cross everyone's red lines for the deal to be unpalatable to everyone this side of the pond. He can save a little face before the seemingly inevitable extension.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing the ERG contort themselves into voting for this despite it being a complete betrayal of all their supposed ideals. If you thought May's deal was surrender then this is basically self-immolation.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting is the urgency also on EU side. It feels like nobody wants another pointless extension. Maybe there won't be one without a minimum deal.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
This week has been exhausting. Just a torrent of speculation, each tweet or headline contradicting the last.

An amendment to include a confirmatory referendum would be good but I don't see it getting the votes.

Was just trying to work out the numbers for it. Labour (-Hoey), Lib Dems, SNP, Plaid, Tig & Greens gets to 308. Would all hinge on the Tory rebels.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The EU will ensure it gets through parliament by making it at take it or leave it. They want this done.

This is my worry - this is an insane-sounding duct taped arrangement and the lack of overwhelming support should be an indicator of that. It's clear the only reason Johnson is powering ahead with this is he's scared shitless of the Benn Act.

Regardless of the deal, there quite possibly either has to be a change in numbers from a GE or the "mandate" of a confirmatory referendum for it to go through.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
why would the EU do that?

Only the EU Council could do that and I really doubt they'll all agree

Usually EU doesn't do things in such a rush. Pushing this for discussion and approval so quickly without even having a legal text for the ambassadors as the tweets suggest could point out the fact that EU really wants this done now and not delay/extend any further without any deal on the table.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Was just trying to work out the numbers for it. Labour (-Hoey), Lib Dems, SNP, Plaid, Tig & Greens gets to 308. Would all hinge on the Tory rebels.
See my post below. Also, it should be noted that Hoey voted against May's deal. I can't recall what her issue with that was but not a forgone conclusion she'll be voting for Boris' either. She'd be pretty happy with no deal and has no pressure to vote for this surrender agreement. She could go join Farage's crusade.
I keep seeing this asked and I've posted some hypotheticals already on this thread. The truth is nobody knows because we can't even be sure how the DUP are going to vote never mind individual MPs. Let me break it down a bit more though and hopefully people can use these numbers to formulate their own hypothesis:

Tories: 288 (-1 for deputy speaker)
Labour: 245 (-2 for deputy speakers)
SNP: 35
Lib Dems: 19
DUP: 10
TIG: 5
Plaid Cymru: 4
Greens: 1

Independents who voted for MV3: 24
Independents who voted against MV3: 10
Independent who abstained in MV3: 1 (Supports Brexit)

Of those Independents who voted for MV3, 20 had the Tory whip at the time. Of those who voted against MV3, 2 had the Labour whip at the time and 3 had the Tory whip. Whether this changes the direction of their vote I don't know. Probably unlikely.

If the DUP don't go for the deal it doesn't pass, that is pretty simple. If the DUP do go for the deal and you tally that up so everyone votes with their party (+no change with IND) you have 321-317 in favour of the deal (the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it). There probably will be rebels though, some on both sides and it could literally come down to who has more between Labour and the Tories that decides it.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
See my post below. Also, it should be noted that Hoey voted against May's deal. I can't recall what her issue with that was but not a forgone conclusion she'll be voting for Boris' either. She'd be pretty happy with no deal and has no pressure to vote for this surrender agreement. She could go join Farage's crusade.

Haha yeah I was using your post to do my sums. And yeah, I cut Hoey off of Labour's numbers for that reason. God knows where things are going to go from here, honestly.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I mean perhaps they are able to bully the DUP/ERG into voting for this (and there are clear signs that they are far more inclined to vote for a worse deal than May's now that it's coming from their man)... but I can't quite believe the loons are going to vote for something where we've conceded on the major concerns of the DUP & the major concerns of the ERG.

If that is the case and this deal does get agreed and fails in parliament due to a lack of support from Labour rebels, the ERG and the DUP while Farage and co are ripping into it day after day... isn't Boris doing enormous damage to himself?

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Usually EU doesn't do things in such a rush. Pushing this for discussion and approval so quickly without even having a legal text for the ambassadors as the tweets suggest could point out the fact that EU really wants this done now and not delay/extend any further without any deal on the table.
Their rush (not sure I would call it rush tbh) is to avoid a second EU Council if they can. Heads of government got better things to do than to fly to Brussels next week because of the UK's fuck-ups.

I don't think it relates to wanting to get rid of the UK ASAP (although I'm sure they're fed up of Brexit like most of us).

Don't underestimate the possibility.

Just today Macron vetoed Albania and northern Macedonia becoming EU candidates for no real reason.
I would agree Macron is pushing his luck recently, but Brexit is not similar to this situation.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Listening to Steve Baker on Peston was embarrassing. Guy tripped himself up numerous times.

The ERG are just going back on the same readlines they issued to Theresa May.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
Listening to Steve Baker on Peston was embarrassing. Guy tripped himself up numerous times.

The ERG are just going back on the same readlines they issued to Theresa May.

eh their red lines were always bullshit, the priority was replacing the remain voting may and hammond who would have used the backstop in their WA to long-term secure a closer relationship with the eu on customs with boris who has gone for a harder brexit and has secured the buccaneering global britain de-regulation carnival model

if the deal is passed they will have decisively won despite being constantly mocked

if

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Level Playing Field commitments only being in the political declaration is a big change, and one that shouldn't be supported by the EU or Labour. Do they really think that Boris Johnson will keep to his word? Seriously?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Level Playing Field commitments only being in the political declaration is a big change, and one that shouldn't be supported by the EU or Labour. Do they really think that Boris Johnson will keep to his word? Seriously?

It's not a question of keeping his word. It's the basis for a zero tariff free trading agreement - which makes sense. That would always be the bedrock of such an agreement, it's impossible to do one otherwise realistically.

The question is whether or not he even wants that. He and the ERG could happily vote for this in the knowledge it means nothing at all. The ERG don't even want a zero tariff free trading agreement with Europe so why bother about a requirement that applies if you do?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Kinnock is simple enough to fall for it too. I fully expect him to vote for it and then (deservedly) get drummed out of the Labour party.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
this is going to hurt us so much. businesses have to work to only plan 4 years ahead as who knows what happens after that. Could be all change. Sounds like a disaster.
Businesses have already been doing the calculus on this for years now. That's why any of them in the UK who can move into the continent have been making plans to do all that.

I don't think that's reversible no matter what happens either. If I'm a business in that situation, why not just move now and bid farewell to Brexit altogether.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I hope these Brexit Lab MPs support it, but not enough to get it to pass, and then they lose their membership. They're disgusting career first monsters that don't give a damn about the actual well being of their constituents.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Kinnock pls go. He's probably one of the most prime examples of an empty vessel careerist politician in Labour.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Boris should threaten the ERG to revoke if his deal doesn't pass.

In the end, don't forget what the Political Declaration is. It is just tidying over until the real agreement. By that point, they can officially decide what they want as a relationship.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Not done yet - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHDs8dXX4AEzTvx.jpg
DUP issues statement saying the 'could not support' deal as it stands
The DUP has issued a statement fromArlene Foster and Nigel Dodds saying that "as things stand, we could not support what is being suggested on customs and consent issues and there is a lack of clarity on VAT.
"We will continue to work with the Government to try and get a sensible deal that works for Northern Ireland and protects the economic and constitutional integrity of the United Kingdom."

https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1184707245478678533

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks to the DUP for giving BJ cover for a extension and being able to shaft them after the election.

This is almost ERG like throwing yourself under the bus.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Thanks to the DUP for giving BJ cover for a extension and being able to shaft them after the election.

This is almost ERG like throwing yourself under the bus.

The problem for DUP is that Johnson's initial proposal put them on the ledge, the other unionist parties didn't support it so the DUP were left defending it on the basis of their "veto" and now that's been taken away.

btw Tony Connelly from RTE has a more detailed summary about consent which makes far worse from a DUP perspective than what the UK journos are reporting (no doubt being briefed by UK sources). Connelly has been consistently right throughout. Connelly has it as an opt-out, and even if the opt-out is triggered, Sinn Fein could pull the plug by crashing the assembly during the two year period.

Status
Not open for further replies.