• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
3F6B9l3.jpg

Not linking The Sun... but no way would Boris agree to this

This would cause a lot more than 21 rebellions if they even seriously considered this.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Tom Newton Dunn has followed that up with tweets about how Boris is trying to win back the "moderate" Tories and blah blah blah. It's all noise.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
3F6B9l3.jpg

Not linking The Sun... but no way would Boris agree to this

Tories might be desperate enough to do it. You saw it in the by-elections, where the Brexit and Tory party vote split the leave vote allowing Labour or LibDems to get in. The Tories will also loose all their seats in Scotland and other remain areas probably. They have to make up those seats in the north but the Tory brand is still toxic in parts of the north and so they will have less chance of winning there than the Brexit Party. The Tories aren't going to win a majority so going into coalition or supply and confidence with the BP may be inevitable.
The obvious downside is it pushes the moderate Tory voter away to the LibDems.
Hopefully if this pact does happen, the LibDems and Labour put aside the BS and stand down in certain seats to maximise the chance of the other party winning.

Oct 26, 2017
Johnson has already been courting the BP voters and had been quoted as wanting to smash Farage, so can't see him giving up a load of seats like that.
Interesting ones will be seats where tories have lost the whip. If they stand again then the tory vote will be split three ways.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In a sane, congruent world, this wouldn't make any sense and wouldn't be entertained by Tory leadership, but I can't 100% rule it out when you have galaxy brain geniuses like Cummings in charge.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
90% sure with Cummings still around BXP pact is just posturing and will never happen given Boris follows that man no matter what he does

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
the weather is also really really shit around there.

A bridge would take a very very long time to build and when completed the bridge would have to be shut due to the really really shit weather.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Ashamed to have voted for Watson as deputy leader. Looking forward for the chance to voting for his replacement.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I just read a bit about the ammunition dumps around the area where the famed bridge to Ireland should be built.

There's an UNGODLY amount of ancient ordnance there. Radioactive waste too, because why not.

Apparently the last time the idea was floated around engineers flipped out so hard it was shelved right away.

I mean the weather isn't the main reason the idea is batshit, nor is the fuckton of unexploded ordinance I imagine if you flung enough money at it you could over come it, the biggest unavoidable problem is where the bridge connects to Scotland. Basically, on the Mull of Kintyre hours away from anywhere. You'd always be quicker with the Ferry which only takes 2hrs and deposits you an hour from Glasgow or 2 hrs from Carlisle. If we use Google maps to route between the lighthouse on the Mull of Kintrye to Glasgow the route is 3hr 53 mins and 5hrs 27 mins from Carlisle. To make it appreciably shorter you'd need to build two other bridges between Tarbet and Portavide and then between Dunoon and Cloch as well as upgrading all the inlinking roads (which are single track in some parts) or if you want to go the shortest feasible route 5 bridges between Northern Ireland and the Mull of Kintyre, Tarbert-Portavide, then Karnes and Bute, Bute to Knockdow and then Dunoon to Cloch. Other than symbolism, it has no appreciable practical value because the ferry is basically quicker.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
sad thing is that a lot of people couldn't give a shit about anything as long as they can get cheap fags and booze.

We'll, they can get one bottle of spirits and 200 fags at prices that are more expensive than a Calais off-licence, when the post-Brexit exchange rate and airport/ferry shop price-gouging is factored in.
No deal kills the "booze cruise".

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Did Watson wait just enough for it to seem like there was a unified message, now all the media running with Labour split over Brexit

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did Watson wait just enough for it to seem like there was a unified message, now all the media running with Labour split over Brexit
He's an idiot. He knows that even if by some miracle you made Corbyn a temp PM there wouldn't be enough support for a second referendum in this parliament so why even bring it up? You need an election first and Labour finally finally agree to that position and oh there's Tom, going off message, shit stirring once again a day after the unions back the plan. Fucking sick of him.

Oct 25, 2017
Ashamed to have voted for Watson as deputy leader. Looking forward for the chance to voting for his replacement.

It's not like I don't get his position, the GE could just leave us into a similar spot as we are now. A ref then an election would make the policies of the manifestos much clearer vs the brexit noise.

Buuuut, Swinson and Hammond et al aren't going to let Corbyn lead after a VoNC, plus there may be blowback for not having an election that would kill them when it's actually called. Besides, the SNP are almost guaranteed to cut down the number of Tory seats so there should at least be some movement in the right direction.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw what Watson said, those are the words of a man who knows he's on his way out so he's just fucking shit up before he's gone.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think Watson should have said it, but he's technically spot on. A second referendum is a far more sensible way to decide Brexit than a General Election. It is very likely unachievable before a general election however, so pointing it out is completely pointless. If the Conservatives win a majority and we end up leaving with no deal, it is a blatantly undemocratic outcome. Alas, that is the reality we face.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't really think Watson should have said it, but he's technically spot on. A second referendum is a far more sensible way to decide Brexit than a General Election. It is very likely unachievable before a general election however, so pointing it out is completely pointless. If the Conservatives win a majority and we end up leaving with no deal, it is a blatantly undemocratic outcome. Alas, that is the reality we face.
Not only pointless but completely counter productive since all it does is undermine labour at a time when they are actually making headway towards getting enough support to get into a position to implement the only feasible chance we have of stopping brexit.

Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017
The problem with Watson is usually not the substance of the statements he makes. It's the fact that over the last year in particular, he has shown a pattern of behaviour that demonstrates he is operating in bad faith.

To use our internet vocabulary, he's a troll.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
btw I still think Farage is Lucy with the football to Johnson's Charlie Brown. He'll dangle a pact, pushing Boris further and further to his position but keep pulling it out of reach because he doesn't want his hands on the impact of Brexit. He wants it to be a shining ideal to use as a dividing point in society, and being able to pin the botched delivery on the Tories.

Oct 27, 2017
Watson's ability to take any momentum (excuse the pun) Labour have and grind it into the dust is quite a thing.

You can set your watch by it, there's literally no need for him to make this intervention publicly when all opposition parties are collaborating, he knows Labour can't force a second referendum without every member of that coalition agreeing, which is impossible. You can only conclude that his reason for intervening is that he see's other people in the labour party as opponents.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Like Watson, I would prefer a referendum to a GE because I think a referendum first is a more winnable prospect. Unlike Watson, I understand that a referendum before a GE just isn't going to happen. What the fuck is he playing at? Labour as an entity and the rest of the opposition finally working together and mostly on the same page and he has to reignite the divisions over things which aren't going to happen?

We're about to have an election. There is literally no benefit to doing this now unless you hate Corbyn so much you want Labour to lose more than you want to avoid no deal.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

Take one look at the electorate and tell me a second referendum is sensible.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
If a second referendum isn't sensible, a general election really isn't sensible.

Referendum -> single issue
Change in government -> many issues

The country has been bogged down by one issue at the expense of everything else. A new (non fascist) government can at the very least break the gridlock on other matters, whereas Johnson is trying to send the country down the toilet for personal profit.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Referendum -> single issue
Change in government -> many issues

Indeed, which is precisely why a referendum is a more sensible way to decide it, especially as this whole fiasco was started with one.

The country has been bogged down by one issue at the expense of everything else. A new (non fascist) government can at the very least break the gridlock on other matters, whereas Johnson is trying to send the country down the toilet for personal profit.

A different government will still have to deal with Brexit first and foremost. The bigger issue is that a GE looks harder to win for Labour than a second referendum is for Remain. I want a GE and a second referendum, to be clear. If we only have a General Election, and the Conservatives win it because people are irrationally afraid of Corbyn and we end up leaving via No Deal, it will be a complete fucking disaster and supremely undemocratic. Yet this is a likely outcome of the current scenario.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Indeed, which is precisely why a referendum is a more sensible way to decide it, especially as this whole fiasco was started with one.

A different government will still have to deal with Brexit first and foremost. The bigger issue is that a GE looks harder to win for Labour than a second referendum is for Remain.

If you want to trust the Tories with this, best of luck to you.

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland

I don't think trusting the Tories is what he's doing.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Typical from Farage, try to get something out of Bojo for doing nothing in return i.e. not standing in certain seats.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
If you want to trust the Tories with this, best of luck to you.
This is a weird response to Rodelero's post. Obviously he doesn't trust the Tories. Nor does he actually think a referendum before a GE is feasible. It would just be his preferred order of events if it were possible, for the clear reasons he has laid out.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
This is a fairly win-win play for Farage. Tories say yes, he gets lots of seats. Tories say no, he gets to appear magnanimous in the eyes of leavers and will have a huge head start in winning those voters away from Boris.

The encouraging thing for me is that it feels like an offer Farage knows will be declined, which indicates where his primary interest lies (himself and the BXP, not Brexit itself).

Status
Not open for further replies.