• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I think it could go down fairly badly, especially next to "Brexit on Oct 31st do or die" and "revoke Article 50". We live in entrenched, polarised times so sitting in the middle seems risky to me. I hope I'm wrong but the most recent polls have me concerned.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
But if the UK finally pass the WA, that already gives them until the end of next year to implement a viable alternative to the backstop, and the backstop won't have gone into effect.

So... if they can do it. Why are they against the WA?

And if they crash out, they get no timetable. None. Border is closed at 11pm on October 31st, and if the UK don't implement border checks they are in violation of the law.

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
And if they crash out, they get no timetable. None. Border is closed at 11pm on October 31st, and if the UK don't implement border checks they are in violation of the law.

Genuine question - what law (and whose law) would they be in violation of? It's not something I've paid any attention to.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
They always say that because they never want to be the ones to get the blame (not that it's their fault)

it's pathetic that the press will take this and puff it up as some big win when May was told this literally every time they met.
Yep but Sky made it sound like Juncker had said something substantial.

A deal is always possible lol, but I think at best BJ is waiting for a cave at the last minute - and that's not going to happen

Dinoric

Oct 28, 2017
It's a really sensible motion looking at the group, 30,000 members and only 500 vote because the leadership fix it that way, Watson coming up from that group explains a lot. no wonder loads of different associations are pulling out, it's not just a Lansman being petty and on a power trip like Watson is framing it.
I'm curious. How do they get away with only letting 500 members vote and why?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm curious. How do they get away with only letting 500 members vote and why?

there's 30,000 labour members who are students, it's a mixture of reasons from the party structure(not strictly the student groups fault although they resisted changing it) and then making people jump through hoops to vote, extra payments, email accounts etc and kinda not highlighting there's an actual election happening at all.

It's shameful for the party and not just the students section to have that kind of thing going on in a democratic organisation.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked I tell's ya.

Still do or die by the 31st?, or does the hulk now need to find a comfortable ditch?
They never said 31st October 2019 right? Could always be next year!

"how to make friends and influence others"

Cause Spanish people love having english people boss them around, even more when they have been somewhat more politically disfunctional than us when we have had an impeachment and a non government for a while now.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question - what law (and whose law) would they be in violation of? It's not something I've paid any attention to.

I don't think they would be. They'd basically be making a one-way free trade deal by letting anyone into the UK without reciprocating. The EU would have to close the border (because otherwise, anyone could just fly their goods into Northern Ireland and drive it all into the Republic of Ireland, and therefore into the EU, bypassing EU agreements/customs/etc..).

It'd be a huge blow to the UK for trade reasons though. No chance any country talks to them while the UK thumbs its nose at the EU (the much larger, much more important trading partner for those other countries).

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think they would be. They'd basically be making a one-way free trade deal by letting anyone into the UK without reciprocating. The EU would have to close the border (because otherwise, anyone could just fly their goods into Northern Ireland and drive it all into the Republic of Ireland, and therefore into the EU, bypassing EU agreements/customs/etc..).

It'd be a huge blow to the UK for trade reasons though. No chance any country talks to them while the UK thumbs its nose at the EU (the much larger, much more important trading partner for those other countries).
I think the UK would be in breach of WTO regulations unless they also made the same arrangements for trade with literally everyone. So basically the only way to not be breaking the law would be to have literally totally open borders trade wise.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Yeah law is perhaps the wrong word. Rules would have been better.

WTO rules is precisely what the UK will be abiding by should they crash out, and refusing to control trade from one specific country is against the rules which mandate that trade from any country you don't have a deal with should be treated equally.

I suppose they could get around it by removing any control on imports from any country though, but I don't think that's the plan.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah law is perhaps the wrong word. Rules would have been better.

WTO rules is precisely what the UK will be abiding by should they crash out, and refusing to control trade from one specific country is against the rules which mandate that trade from any country you don't have a deal with should be treated equally.

I suppose they could get around it by removing any control on imports from any country though, but I don't think that's the plan.

That is precisely the idea behind the lunatic Mumford's model which brexiteers love. He assumes the UK unilaterally drops every tariff to 0.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone brings up how bad the Irish boarder is gonna be (quite rightly so), but it's odd how you rarely hear just how absolutely fucked Gibraltar will be with a no deal exit.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
That is precisely the idea behind the lunatic Mumford's model which brexiteers love. He assumes the UK unilaterally drops every tariff to 0.

And because of the most favoured nation rule it's in no ones interest to sign a free trade arrangement with the UK.

I wonder who the hell in government thought unilateral reduction of duties to 0 would be a good idea. There should be some senior civil servants who know better, I work (soon to be worked next tuesday)for the civil service (HMRC) but I didn't think SCS would be that inept.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Politics Live now, and Faiza Shaheen is actually coming across fairly well for the Labour pov.

It's still muddled, and there are serious questions regarding how viable their tactic will be in Lib Dem/Tory marginals, but she seems fairly clued on.

I just don't know how sensible it's going to be during an election campaign - people are too entrenched. And any Labour deal is not going to be appealing to those in the Brexit now crowd.

I mean, neither is the Lib Dem policy either, so fuck knows.

Edit: In more exciting news, Faisal Islam is presenting Politics Live tomorrow!

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone brings up how bad the Irish boarder is gonna be (quite rightly so), but it's odd how you rarely hear just how absolutely fucked Gibraltar will be with a no deal exit.
It is because Gibraltar is exempt from the WA anyway. The UK will need a separate deal with Spain on Gibraltar as part of the EU strategy. I'm sure Spain will be very easy to deal with.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018

Not really Brexit... but man it reminds me how this country is getting worse

Oooh, racist holidays where you get to go abroad but you don't have to mix with any mucky foreigners. This reminds me of the time my parent's got a brochure boasting the town's "British Curry House with British Chefs!"...Hmmmmm...... I think we can all read between the lines here.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
The mind boggles at what sort of kinky shit goes on in an explicitly "adult only" event for the over 50's.
I didn't realise Saga were into that type of cruising.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even tv adverts are pulling the good old days and not in the cool remember that fun advert way, it's gone all simpler times.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching Politics Live now, and Faiza Shaheen is actually coming across fairly well for the Labour pov.

It's still muddled, and there are serious questions regarding how viable their tactic will be in Lib Dem/Tory marginals, but she seems fairly clued on.

I just don't know how sensible it's going to be during an election campaign - people are too entrenched. And any Labour deal is not going to be appealing to those in the Brexit now crowd.

I actually don't see any other way forward that won't either cause riots (Lib Dem), destroy our economy (Tory), or possibly both. At some point you have to accept that the lunatic fringe on both sides are a lost cause, and aren't going to be satisfied unless they get the pleasure of watching the other side suffer.

I'm also absolutely fine with Corbyn being neutral. It's entirely likely we would have had a different outcome in 2016 sold the opportunity to give the pig fucker a bloody nose wasn't there.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Cause Spanish people love having english people boss them around, even more when they have been somewhat more politically disfunctional than us when we have had an impeachment and a non government for a while now.

These are the same people who think the Commonwealth was a good thing and the citizens of commonwealth countries liked having the Brits around stealing all their resources. Their reality is entirely constructed by jingoistic English newspapers and only ever talking to other old white English people. So they probably actually think that

Not really Brexit... but man it reminds me how this country is getting worse

Those cruises always looked like hell, I can think of very few things worse than being trapped with a load of right wing olds in the middle of the ocean

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
The mind boggles at what sort of kinky shit goes on in an explicitly "adult only" event for the over 50's.
I didn't realise Saga were into that type of cruising.

Depends how they vote
Fantasies%20list-01.png

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
That ukip one seems so tame until you realise that, between men and women, using a vibrator or dildo is more statistically over-represented than passionate kissing

Status
Not open for further replies.