• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I guess we're never getting another general election because they're never regaining any trust, not that they had much before.

And Gove had to get one last Corbyn in at the end

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I might be mis-reading this, but I don't think Gove likes Corbyn

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
That was certainly something.

That question regarding welfare cuts and then Maitlis rightly bringing it back onto all of them.

Also, that Tax Cut man was odd.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Boris is fucking bad at answering shit and debating. Imagine him talking to the EU....

He's acting like a naughty schoolboy when called out by Emily Maitlis. It was pathetic, and it'll make no difference whatsoever, as all of his bad points are 'priced in' by the Tories and the membership.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Any of you lot watching BBC news, live from a conservative club...

Message relayed was Rory was awful, support for Others was spread

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
The Guardian have been particularly poisonous, only actually backing Labour when they can't get around it. Otherwise you've got the centrist press constantly sniping at Corbyn and trying to push whoever's their current flavour of the month.

Our media is a fucking parasite, so insidious that people struggle to hold them accountable.
It's not really the Guardian's job to be a cheerleader for any party.
Why is Rory the only person that tries to hold their feet to the fire and get someone to explain how they'll actually get a deal done.
That's why they called him a "political suicide bomber" in this process I guess. :p

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
What is boris plan for when he does become pm? I can't see anyway he will be able to get the U.K. out by 31st October. After that his credibility is shot and will surely face a no confidence vote and even if he wins it will surely lose at the next election getting eaten alive by whatever Farage is at that point?

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
A GE could return a very messy hung parliament I'm not even sure Corbyn wants one atm

The debate was boring except BoJo's awful and cringy defection/topic shift when questioned by the Muslim Leader. Just the usual Tory waffle of tax cuts / I can get a deal whilst fucking over the poor and the nhs for Brexit.

Gove went medieval on Corbyn when the guy wasn't there to defend himself.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
So, I don't think there was a lot of news out of that debate - who do you think did best/worse?

Don't think Boris or Rory had a fantastic night - very obvious that the other three were trying to tackle both of them - what with one being the clear frontrunner and one being a budding outsider.

Did think that Sajid did better than Sunday - cringed a bit when he questioned Rory on not publicly calling out Trump's tweet...easy goal.

Edit:

Ffs

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
So, I don't think there was a lot of news out of that debate - who do you think did best/worse?

Don't think Boris or Rory had a fantastic night - very obvious that the other three were trying to tackle both of them - what with one being the clear frontrunner and one being a budding outsider.

Did think that Sajid did better than Sunday - cringed a bit when he questioned Rory on not publicly calling out Trump's tweet...easy goal.

Edit:

Ffs

The fact that the David Brent "ooh, you're hard" gif isn't the top reply is a crime.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think Stewart killed his momentum tonight, didn't seize any moments, had awful body language, alienating target voters. Can see him going out tomorrow. Kudos to him for being Honest I suppose. He was never going to win but was hoping for him in the top two at least.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

there's no point worrying about Corbyn until enough tories rebel or the government fall apart, we're getting as bad as the tories putting the cart before the horse all the time. Corbyn is pretty much isolated on the EU within the party, if he ever scrapes into Downing St he's gonna need the libdem's and the SNP and we know what they will demand to let him move in.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Rory being vaguely realistic in his arguments tonight has certainly killed him in the vote. That's very depressing.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never cared for Gove but he really comes across as an odious toad which I've never noticed, very calculating, evil and a Blanton that liar who doesn't give a shit about anyone, no wonder him and Boris teamed up.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't think the format suited Rory well there nor the oversight allowing him to get into details, lost among the noise and shut down when he got a chance. Obviously it would be his tax cuts that sink him anyway but at least he held more feet to the fire than most journalists have done in 3 years.

Oct 25, 2017

I feel doing this after the debate last night was a good shout to avoid a constant attack on TV. But the "Not another one!" Brigade, that being a lot of the public, will probably be loud. Hope he's got a real nice speech to attach this to.

Hell I'd like him to have a good answer to why it took so long but there really isn't one.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Depend what the second ref entails. Would remain be on the ballot? Could you even get a different deal on the ballot, would you allow leave with no deal on the ballot. It's a moment but still a mess.

Jun 18, 2018
Rory being vaguely realistic in his arguments tonight has certainly killed him in the vote. That's very depressing.

Instead, fans of the other 4 are enjoying the idea that you can cut taxes further and increase public spending, here's a great bit of dreaming from The Sun this morning:

"Nor would Rory cut our sky-high taxes. Because, he says, public services need the cash. OK. But lowering taxes creates jobs, stimulates growth and generates income for those public services."

As for Gove's attacks on Corbyn, TBH, it's the standard Tory approach. Raab did it last week by saying Corbyn wants to make the UK like Venezuala. Essentially the Tories know they will have a tough time arguing on specific policies so they just attack from a much higher level, knowing that the press won't push them any further, hence regular soundbites like "Labour will destroy the economy" and "Labour are communists".

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
"Nor would Rory cut our sky-high taxes. Because, he says, public services need the cash. OK. But lowering taxes creates jobs, stimulates growth and generates income for those public services."
They're not thinking big enough. Imagine how much income one could generate for essential public services by wholly eliminating taxes!

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Watched half of Mortal Engines last night; wonder how many Tory MPs watched it and thought "aah yes, this is how Brexit will be".

Last edited:

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
Watching him as the debate went on almost felt like seeing him slowly realise that nobody in politics gives a straight answer, it's all lies and bullshit and the country is fucked. Is there any wonder his body language was the way it was? Hell, I'm half surprised he didn't just throw his hands up and walk off the set.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm loving the liberal Rory Stewart fan fiction, this could be the start of something truly terrible like Twilight.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

At times he was trying to basically do the job of moderator because the real moderator couldn't be bothered to do anything but occasionally take random potshots. I don't really understand how over and over and over again the various newstations manage to make such a hash out of these debate formats. The video-feed questioning was so weird, as if the BBC haven't noticed that Question Time is total shit. I still can't get the Brexit Party voter from Oxford out of my head (partyless my arse) who seemed to think the solution to all of his problems were tax cuts such that when Stewart suggested bolstering services instead he belligerently picked him out to say "it's about tax cuts", even though his question didn't specify them.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
At times he was trying to basically do the job of moderator because the real moderator couldn't be bothered to do anything but occasionally take random potshots. I don't really understand how over and over and over again the various newstations manage to make such a hash out of these debate formats. The video-feed questioning was so weird, as if the BBC haven't noticed that Question Time is total shit. I still can't get the Brexit Party voter from Oxford out of my head (partyless my arse) who seemed to think the solution to all of his problems were tax cuts such that when Stewart suggested bolstering services instead he belligerently picked him out to say "it's about tax cuts", even though his question didn't specify them.

I honestly felt that the format would have worked a bit better if there was more time allocated per question.

Like when the lady was worried about no deal, and then went back and said that none of them had addressed her concerns.

But yeah, I think Stewart will go today - I think a lot of Raab's votes will go to Boris, and think that Sajid will have a bump from MPs.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I have no idea where this started but I wouldn't be surprised to see Guardian think pieces about how he isn't that bad actually.

Anyone remaining in the Kamikaze and not unionist anymore party isn't worth attaching any hope to, the best you get is Dominic Grieve and he's nothing to write home about.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Boris supposed to be deploying his supporters to tactically knock out any threats, Stewart would be ideal(for him) in the final head to head.

He is, but Theo Usherwood on LBC was saying yesterday that the Boris camp is more likely to gerrymander votes to get Hunt in the final two as he's dull, predictable and easily beatable. Stewart, on the other hand, is someone they fear more as a bit of a maverick unpredictable quantity.

Status
Not open for further replies.