• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

If you believe what they're saying, then we're fucked unless Parliament steps in. There is zero chance of the backstop getting scrapped.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't all this just vote for me bollocks and holds no water once they get the job?

I still think both would be fine with Brexit as long as they can put all the blame on it being shit on the EU and the EU pushing us over the cliff, not that they ever will. It would have been great if the EU let us have our cake and eat it but we get a shit sandwich instead, it's all their fault. The EU refused to solve Brexit for us.

I don't think the EU will blink.

EU "Leave then"
UK "We will"
EU "Will go"
UK "We are"
EU "Go on then"
UK "We're going"
EU "Well go"
UK "We are"

The year is 2030....

EU "Will go then"
UK "We are"

They will sit back and let us do the deed. Brexiters are desperate for the EU to do it.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
IDS on talk radio, saying parliament can mess around all they like, article 50 was voted through. Boris has to accept a delay offer from the EU, so even if he is told to ask for an extension there is no remit to force him to accept said extension, and he won't

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe a word IDS says and I don't know either. Are Boris or Hunt stupid enough? Can you have a no confidence vote before, if so what happens, who answers the phone ?

This lot are going to make off like bandits with no deal preparations and the inevitable shit show if they steer us into a crash that hurts enough to make a mint off it or they get their main wish that lets them carve us up good and proper.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
If there's a VoNC, the PM would stay in place for 14 calendar days unless and until a new Government is agreed on and a motion of confidence passed. Then the PM would have to instruct the Queen to invite the newly agreed upon leader to form a Government. If those 14 days elapse without a motion of confidence in something being passed, then we have new elections.

If Hunt and Johnson are being honest about wanting the backstop gone, then they're basically making no deal official policy. So we'll see fireworks very soon.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
If there's a VoNC, the PM would stay in place for 14 calendar days unless and until a new Government is agreed on and a motion of confidence passed. Then the PM would have to instruct the Queen to invite the newly agreed upon leader to form a Government. If those 14 days elapse without a motion of confidence in something being passed, then we have new elections.

If Hunt and Johnson are being honest about wanting the backstop gone, then they're basically making no deal official policy. So we'll see fireworks very soon.

The thing is - they must see that as likely, unless they think every single Tory that's talked about getting in the way is bluffing (could happen, mind you). This is why the talk of not ruling out proroguing worries me.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
The thing is - they must see that as likely, unless they think every single Tory that's talked about getting in the way is bluffing (could happen, mind you). This is why the talk of not ruling out proroguing worries me.
Didn't an amendment recently pass (by one vote) to explicitly prevent proroguing?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
IDS on talk radio, saying parliament can mess around all they like, article 50 was voted through. Boris has to accept a delay offer from the EU, so even if he is told to ask for an extension there is no remit to force him to accept said extension, and he won't

I don't think this is correct. I believe the EU can unilaterally grant an extension once it's been asked for.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Didn't an amendment recently pass (by one vote) to explicitly prevent proroguing?

No, that amendment makes it trickier because if/when the bill becomes law, the Government have a legal duty to make a report to Parliament every two weeks on the Northern Ireland Assembly negotiations. If Parliament were to be prorogued, then they'd be unable to do that, so they'd be in breach of legal obligations leaving it open to a court challenge.

I don't think this is correct. I believe the EU can unilaterally grant an extension once it's been asked for.

They can grant one, but the PM still has to accept and pass legislation to that effect in Parliament. Until something changes, we leave October 31st.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

I still think the boris strategy is delay until it's too late and then ignore parliament to hard brexit and hope it goes well.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
So Boris plan to get around the backstop is an open ended, indefinite transition period.🤣

Some ABSOLUTE bullshit about it ending when the tech is there to have an invisible border. So when we have fucking cyborgs and AI manning the border then.

It also means he get fucking mauled to political death by all the brexiters and no dealers already emboldened by the bollocks pouring out if his mouth.Can you imagine the fucking crazies backing staying in the EU for YEARS? I sure as shit can't.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

I'm glad someone in Westminster is aware that Dunkirk was actually a huge disaster for the UK, I imagine a lot of tories are saddened by D-Day and going into europe.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's hard to care if the Tory rebels keep bottling it or can't overcome the Labour ones.
Shit or get off the pot.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Can the queen not actually do something for once in her life and refuse a request to close parliament?

The Queen's primary thought is what keeps her and her parasites in their cushy number. She'll not do anything. One of the problems of the British system, the protection offered by a head of state is meaningless when that head of state has no mandated power.

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like remainers dance on so many parties (legal action, parliament not being fucked, hoping boris caves, new referendum, whatever labour is doing) in the end it will amount to nothing.

So what if a court blocks suspending parliament? What will keep him from ignoring parliament anyway?

Without Gina Miller's first legal action, parliament wouldn't have had the power to approve/reject a Brexit plan in the first place.

We might have left without any parliamentary oversight.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like remainers dance on so many parties (legal action, parliament not being fucked, hoping boris caves, new referendum, whatever labour is doing) in the end it will amount to nothing.

So what if a court blocks suspending parliament? What will keep him from ignoring parliament anyway?
I don't think BJ is that suicidal and surely a bill can be worded to avoid it being "ignored"

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that Boris thinks it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Legal action is probably too slow to stop him from suspending parliament.
If we leave on Oct 31, we leave. We can't rejoin because some UK law can't override international law.

Our only hope is a binding motion being passed in September that forces Boris to ask for an extension. I'm not sure if that's possible (the rules for who can propose/amend what seem complex).
Even then, I think Boris would go full fascist, claim that the will of the people provides a stronger mandate than parliament and just go with holding parliament in contempt (oh no, they might slap his wrist).

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I stood on a manifesto that said I would deliver the outcome of the referendum," she said. "I would obviously prefer to leave with a deal, but if it comes down to no Brexit or no-deal then I would go with no-deal because the consequences mean that Labour will not be in government in the future and we will lose seats. For me that is a far worse scenario than any Brexit outcome would be."

Somebody need to re-read that manifesto because it explicitly says they don't support no-deal

Labour recognises that leaving the EU with "no deal" is the worst possible deal for Britain and that it would do damage to our economy and trade. We will reject "no deal" as a viable option and if needs be negotiate transitional arrangements to avoid a "cliff-edge" for the UK economy.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017

These fucking people.

I will always remember an industry event, many moons ago, that brought me to London. The company in question arranged a huge shuttle (a full bus, really) with a Spanish speaking guide to entertain us, since our hotel was far away from the airport and we basically had to cross much of London to reach our destination. This was barely at the tail end of the crisis or so, mind you, so back when Spain was still reeling.

As we passed though some government building I can't recall, the guide would mention that, unlike some other countries (WINK WINK) the UK had a reputation for being straight and avoid corruption scandals, with politicians being absolute professionals at their job, no part timers or amateurs allowed. That was one of the things that managed to turn London into the powerful, modern, all reaching metropolis that it was and an excellent reason for being proud of her nationality, she said. Half of the bus sunk their heads in shame and wished to die, myself included. I don't think I can describe the absolute agony of some of the journos there. And to be honest, I don't think she was trying to be hurtful at all. She really felt that way.

About two years later Cameron moved on with the referendum.

Now the UK is trying to make the Italian government look thorough, clinical and germane, from the executive to the opposition.

It's insane how quickly the political situation of a country can degenerate from stoic to years-long constitutional crisis. Also, how people can ignore structural weaknesses and political decay during good times.

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I will always remember an industry event, many moons ago, that brought me to London. The company in question arranged a huge shuttle (a full bus, really) with a Spanish speaking guide to entertain us, since our hotel was far away from the airport and we basically had to cross much of London to reach our destination. This was barely at the tail end of the crisis or so, mind you, so back when Spain was still reeling.

As we passed though some government building I can't recall, the guide would mention that, unlike some other countries (WINK WINK) the UK had a reputation for being straight and avoid corruption scandals, with politicians being absolute professionals at their job, no part timers or amateurs allowed. That was one of the things that managed to turn London into the powerful, modern, all reaching metropolis that it was and an excellent reason for being proud of her nationality, she said. Half of the bus sunk their heads in shame and wished to die, myself included. I don't think I can describe the absolute agony of some of the journos there. And to be honest, I don't think she was trying to be hurtful at all. She really felt that way.

About two years later Cameron moved on with the referendum.

Now the UK is trying to make the Italian government look thorough, clinical and germane, from the executive to the opposition.

It's insane how quickly the political situation of a country can degenerate from stoic to years-long constitutional crisis. Also, how people can ignore structural weaknesses and political decay during good times.

The guide was telling the story Britain likes to tell itself, and, sure, there has been a general flow of talent and relative lack of corruption that has enabled London to thrive (and thus much of Britain - not to say things are perfect, but I am talking long-term here) for a long, long time - back to the decline of Spain and the rise of England>Britain as its hegemonic replacement, and even then, since WW2 via services.

Of course, like all stories, this ignored the bullshit underside of the same system that built this flow of talent from public school>Oxbridge>Whitehall/City (again, talking generally, and again, this obviously brought myriad problems, and again, this ignores much good stuff that the tour guide's story ignores cos it's not the establishment story, e.g. history of radical reform movements that have had such an effect; ditto bad stuff like, uh, colonialism) and that is spivs, chancers, greedy fucks and complete frauds. They've always been there, but today we have a perfect blend of capitalism-as-rampant, democracy-as-populism and culture war where they can pose as champions. It's all coming out in the worst way: there's a long history of absolute fucking mediocrity burnishing itself with the glories of other people. Those mediocrities are now in charge. Previously they were minor officials sent post-haste to East Africa, or banker bores, or sent off to be shot up in the army, or pensioned as viccars in a rural backwater (I'm speaking in cliches now, but hey, it's a release of resentment).

Also, interestingly, there's a tradition in British thought about amatuerism being preferable to professionalism, for many things - at least culturally preferable, if not economically/politically. But that's subtly different to the mess we have now.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
The guide was telling the story Britain likes to tell itself, and, sure, there has been a general flow of talent and relative lack of corruption that has enabled London to thrive (and thus much of Britain - not to say things are perfect, but I am talking long-term here) for a long, long time - back to the decline of Spain and the rise of England>Britain as its hegemonic replacement, and even then, since WW2 via services.

Of course, like all stories, this ignored the bullshit underside of the same system that built this flow of talent from public school>Oxbridge>Whitehall/City (again, talking generally, and again, this obviously brought myriad problems, and again, this ignores much good stuff that the tour guide's story ignores cos it's not the establishment story, e.g. history of radical reform movements that have had such an effect; ditto bad stuff like, uh, colonialism) and that is spivs, chancers, greedy fucks and complete frauds. They've always been there, but today we have a perfect blend of capitalism-as-rampant, democracy-as-populism and culture war where they can pose as champions. It's all coming out in the worst way: there's a long history of absolute fucking mediocrity burnishing itself with the glories of other people. Those mediocrities are now in charge. Previously they were minor officials sent post-haste to East Africa, or banker bores, or sent off to be shot up in the army, or pensioned as viccars in a rural backwater (I'm speaking in cliches now, but hey, it's a release of resentment).

Also, interestingly, there's a tradition in British thought about amatuerism being preferable to professionalism, for many things - at least culturally preferable, if not economically/politically. But that's subtly different to the mess we have now.

What

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
So this just happned at the Brexit committee.

EU fishermen may still be allowed into UK waters under no-deal, Barclay says
Hilary Benn, the chairman, ends with some final questions.
Q: If there is a no-deal Brexit, will EU fishermen lose the right to fish in British waters immediately?
Steve Barclay says there is a difference between the legal position, and what the UK would seek to arrange.
Q: Would the government ban French fishing waters from UK waters on 1 November under no-deal?
Barclay says, legally, the UK would have control. But the government would try to agree a "continuity approach". It would be in the country's interests to have reciprocal arrangements.

We will finally have control of our own waters............ so we can make sure to maintain the status quo!

Oct 28, 2017
Stupid as fuck. It feels like they only care about having the type of power that they can use to fuck people over at a whim. Being in the EU means they can't unilaterally tell everyone to fuck off out of the water when they want, but being out of it does, even if the situation will continue to be the exact same as before, and they will likely never ever use that power in any situation.

I fucking hate this stupid Brexit project.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid as fuck. It feels like they only care about having the type of power that they can use to fuck people over at a whim. Being in the EU means they can't unilaterally tell everyone to fuck off out of the water when they want, but being out of it does, even if the situation will continue to be the exact same as before, and they will likely never ever use that power in any situation.

I fucking hate this stupid Brexit project.

privileged elite 101 tbh. At least we have Love Island ey ey?

We're knee-deep in shit here.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017

hahahahhahaha

fucking hell

Essentially: Amber Rudd and the grassroots want to campaign explicitly for remain

The People's Vote staff and Alesteir Campbell don't and are trying to sabotage the march at the weekend for being too Pro EU

The same Campbell who was expelled from the party, riling up all the anti-Corbyners, for saying Labour wasn't being remainy enough

You couldn't write this season of politics

I hadn't even heard there was a march this weekend

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

hahahahhahaha

fucking hell

Essentially: Amber Rudd and the grassroots want to campaign explicitly for remain

The People's Vote staff and Alesteir Campbell don't and are trying to sabotage the march at the weekend for being too Pro EU

I hadn't even heard there was a march this weekend

They should just focus on getting the second vote first, so i agree with Campbell but it's fashionable these days to put the cart before the horse.

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking incredible that some of the campaign for a second vote on leaving the EU are somehow against it because its too pro EU. What the fuck does that even mean? Its a binary situation, you're either in or out. People can talk shop all they want about Norway+ and other stupid situations but you still fundamently out of the European Union with those "deals".

Looks like every political party is fucking eating themselves apart in the UK. Tories can't decide on who should swing the wrecking ball through the UK, Labour has their anti-semitism shitstorm and a feckless leader, Lib Dems are sitting on the fence and bleeding their arseholes out with powerless centrism statements, and the SNP recently had a wee doozy over some transphobic party members.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Stop Brexit, save the 🐑 (so you can eat them later)

Fucking incredible that some of the campaign for a second vote on leaving the EU are somehow against it because its too pro EU. What the fuck does that even mean? Its a binary situation, you're either in or out. People can talk shop all they want about Norway+ and other stupid situations but you still fundamently out of the European Union with those "deals".

Looks like every political party is fucking eating themselves apart in the UK. Tories can't decide on who should swing the wrecking ball through the UK, Labour has their anti-semitism shitstorm and a feckless leader, Lib Dems are sitting on the fence and bleeding their arseholes out with powerless centrism statements, and the SNP recently had a wee doozy over some transphobic party members.
I've been saying for a very long time that one of the biggest challenges with Remain is that a great amount of remainers are thoroughbred eurosceptics who simply like the idea of vacationing at Benidorm.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Meanwhile, May is giving her last big speech in which she says Brexit should be handled in exactly the opposite way to how she handled it.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
if you are ever getting a second referendum then you have to convince the people scared of being seen to ignore the will of the people and other nonsense like a conspiracy of the elite. there isn't the time to be getting that far ahead of ourselves.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Already looking forward to the spin when Boris comes back crawling after a month of no deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.