• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's nice to go down the Corbyn wormhole all the time but i don't see how it helps in this Brexit situation, he's the leader of the labour party and the opposition leader.

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
All of this was undermined by

To be fair a week is a long time in politics, if in a general election he is asked about this, he could point to how his goverment will go after Russian Oligarchs whereas the Tories sit and do nothing, I just don't believe he can put this argument forward effectively especially with Seamus Milne advising him.

I think he was totally right to question Theresa May in PMQ the way he did it. She came out with a full on attack on Russian intelligence less than 24 hours after the crime had been committed and she presented no smoking gun during that session. I would have done the same. The way the media reflected it and the way the majority of people lapped it up shows precisely that the level of nuance with these things is inexistent. You're either FOR US or you are AGAINST US. Stupid.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
I think he was totally right to question Theresa May in PMQ the way he did it. She came out with a full on attack on Russian intelligence less than 24 hours after the crime had been committed and she presented no smoking gun during that session. I would have done the same. The way the media reflected it and the way the majority of people lapped it up shows precisely that the level of nuance with these things is inexistent. You're either FOR US or you are AGAINST US. Stupid.

Fuck no, it was an idiotic move. It was clear it was Russia and without a clear reason Corbyn and his aide shouldn't doubted our intelligence services. It allowed the Tories and Media to carry on with the Corbyn is a danger to our national security, and it took away Corbyn's chance to bash the Tories for not doing enough on Russian Oligarchs.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
She came out with a full on attack on Russian intelligence less than 24 hours after the crime had been committed and she presented no smoking gun during that session. I would have done the same.

Your reaction to having doubts about May's case would be to hand over a sample to the world's biggest purveyor of misinformation so they can manufacture their own narrative based on internal "tests"?

Nothing justifies the latter.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
What? It's so totally not. The moment Corbyn or anyone else expresses any doubts or concerns about the country's positioning in things like the Middle East, Russia, etc. you are labelled a traitor by the opposition and the press. There is ZERO nuance in this debate in the UK.

If you are Corbyn, perhaps not. But for others, of course it is possible.

Actually, on Corbyn, whilst your logic of press absurdity is absolutely fair, Corbyn himself is dressed up in 'oh I am so thoughtful and careful' when actually he is as banal and partisan as any hawk: he calls for dialogue (curiously admired in an age when accommodation is seen as sin by many) and then... Never had any dialogue with anyone he doesn't already sympathise with.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
If you are Corbyn, perhaps not. But for others, of course it is possible.

Actually, on Corbyn, whilst your logic of press absurdity is absolutely fair, Corbyn himself is dressed up in 'oh I am so thoughtful and careful' when actually he is as banal and partisan as any hawk: he calls for dialogue (curiously admired in an age when accommodation is seen as sin by many) and then... Never had any dialogue with anyone he doesn't already sympathise with.
I think the only people who dress Corbyn up in this way are those who want to tear him down for any minor deviation from those ideals.

I also don't think your latter point is true, although I don't know enough of his history to give examples.

Oct 26, 2017
The problem is, you ask most people who (don't like him) they'd like to replace Corbyn and the answer is always a moderate e.g Watson or (kill me now) Phillips. Any successor to Corbyn is going to be another person who shares his policies and no doubt people will still be mad, and the wheel of shite will carry on turning.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I think the only people who dress Corbyn up in this way are those who want to tear him down for any minor deviation from those ideals.

I also don't think your latter point is true, although I don't know enough of his history to give examples.

He has a long history of defending causes, some absolutely rightly so. My issue is that the rhetoric he employs to do so is one of discussion and engagement, but the behaviour is one of recalcitrance and ideological purity: his time as Labour leader bears that out. He's not alone in this of course, but sadly he is held up as a beacon, where as others are dismissed a priori (often rightly so, e.g. most Toriy cabinet members and PMs!). It's like pretending that to invert a paradigm is the same as smashing it.

Fwiw for me, I'd love it if Corbyn were actually the man he is painted to be. But he isn't. Even if he was, I genuinely think he's too inept and flat out limited, imaginatively, to pursue his goals with any chance of success.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The problem is, you ask most people who (don't like him) they'd like to replace Corbyn and the answer is always a moderate e.g Watson or (kill me now) Phillips. Any successor to Corbyn is going to be another person who shares his policies and no doubt people will still be mad, and the wheel of shite will carry on turning.
What's surprising that people who don't like Corbyn would prefer someone more to the center of the party? And what's so bad about Jess Phillips that you'd rather die than see her in Corbyn's place?

Personally I advocate for Lammy and Phillips as people I think would be better leaders. Corbyn isn't wrong when he says that the EU isn't the only issue facing the UK right now, and I broadly agree with his stances on most other issues, but he's completely mishandled what is clearly the most important issue facing the UK right now. Trying to please everyone and stay on the fence as long as he has, has proven to be without a doubt the absolute wrong choice. I think he'd have been a fine leader, were it not for Brexit.

But sadly, we aren't in that time line.

Oct 26, 2017
What's surprising that people who don't like Corbyn would prefer someone more to the center of the party? And what's so bad about Jess Phillips that you'd rather die than see her in Corbyn's place?

Personally I advocate for Lammy and Phillips as people I think would be better leaders. Corbyn isn't wrong when he says that the EU isn't the only issue facing the UK right now, and I broadly agree with his stances on most other issues, but he's completely mishandled what is clearly the most important issue facing the UK right now. Trying to please everyone and stay on the fence as long as he has, has proven to be without a doubt the absolute wrong choice. I think he'd have been a fine leader, were it not for Brexit.

But sadly, we aren't in that time line.

Because it says that as much as they claim it's his character or actions - it isn't. It's that he's too left wing. Whereas having someone who isn't a centre politician has been incredibly popular amongst Labour members and young activists. Replacing him with a moderate will do worse for the party than Corbyn ever has.

Jess Phillips is a fucking dickhead.

I personally think a decade of austerity is more important than Brexit, and I say that as someone who is unequivocally remain.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Because it says that as much as they claim it's his character or actions - it isn't. It's that he's too left wing. Whereas having someone who isn't a centre politician has been incredibly popular amongst Labour members and young activists. Replacing him with a moderate will do worse for the party than Corbyn ever has.
I don't think Lammy or Phillips are centrists in any sense of the definition unless we're saying they're in the center of the party.

Jess Phillips is a fucking dickhead.
Well that tells me nothing.

I personally think a decade of austerity is more important than Brexit, and I say that as someone who is unequivocally remain.
Right, and if Brexit hadn't happened we'd agree. But it did and it has become the pressing issue right now and in the near future. Thinking otherwise hasn't seen Corbyn succeed at furthering his policy goals.

Being the temp PM for a hot minute being more important to him than stopping No Deal would be about the most Corbyn thing ever.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Now imagine the effects of austerity doubled for a couple of decades. That is the likely effect of no-deal Brexit.
Good then that Labour want to stop No Deal AND Austerity, they also happen to be by far the largest opposition.

Let's hope that the smaller parties want to avoid No Deal and back Labour, and the desire to inflict poverty doesn't stop them from doing that.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Lammy or Phillips are centrists in any sense of the definition unless we're saying they're in the center of the party.

Well that tells me nothing.

Right, and if Brexit hadn't happened we'd agree. But it did and it has become the pressing issue right now and in the near future. Thinking otherwise hasn't seen Corbyn succeed at furthering his policy goals.

Being the temp PM for a hot minute being more important to him than stopping No Deal would be about the most Corbyn thing ever.

They're centre by all senses of the definition. I like Lammy a lot but his voting record isn't brilliant. And as much as the media and seemingly lots of people want to bygones be bygones for the Iraq war - I won't and never will. A million dead Iraqis.

The party has loads of younger, left wing MPs (and candidates e.g. Faiza Shaheen) who I'd gladly see replace Corbyn if it came to it. Keep Blairites out, they can go set up their own party by all means.

Phillips is power hungry and more concerned with her own career than helping people.

Right I agree it's a pressing issue, although the general consensus seems to be having another referendum - which I agree with - but if many of the causes of people voting leave aren't addressed (i.e. austerity) they'll just vote leave again and give the tories a stronger mandate.

Now imagine the effects of austerity doubled for a couple of decades. That is the likely effect of no-deal Brexit.

I know it's a pressing issue. But over 200,000 people are already dead and many more won't even survive that long. No deal is exactly what Labour have been trying to prevent, I'm not sure why you've thrown that as some sort of gotcha.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
They're centre by all senses of the definition. I like Lammy a lot but his voting record isn't brilliant. And as much as the media and seemingly lots of people want to bygones be bygones for the Iraq war - I won't and never will. A million dead Iraqis.

The party has loads of younger, left wing MPs (and candidates e.g. Faiza Shaheen) who I'd gladly see replace Corbyn if it came to it. Keep Blairites out, they can go set up their own party by all means.

Phillips is power hungry and more concerned with her own career than helping people.

Right I agree it's a pressing issue, although the general consensus seems to be having another referendum - which I agree with - but if many of the causes of people voting leave aren't addressed (i.e. austerity) they'll just vote leave again and give the tories a stronger mandate.

I know it's a pressing issue. But over 200,000 people are already dead and many more won't even survive that long. No deal is exactly what Labour have been trying to prevent, I'm not sure why you've thrown that as some sort of gotcha.
Both haven't rebelled and vote with the party the vast majority of the time. I'm not sure what more I can say on that matter. Neither are pro austerity.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
You can't exactly logically claim there are more important issues than Brexit like austerity when Brexit will make that look like child's play. It is like claiming a flood is a more important issue than a tsunami. Everything bad in the UK is going to be multiplied by Brexit, so it is quite irresponsible to say there is something more important.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
You can't exactly logically claim there are more important issues than Brexit like austerity when Brexit will make that look like child's play. It is like claiming a flood is a more important issue than a tsunami. Everything bad in the UK is going to be multiplied by Brexit, so it is quite irresponsible to say there is something more important.
This. Not only will the effects be made much worse, but it will also utterly damage the tools the UK has to combat the effects of austerity.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It's not just their vote (in the case of Lammy) for the war, it's their continued position - and votes, that it shouldn't be investigated. I want those responsible for warcrimes to be held accountable by our MPs. The UK is nearly as bad as the States for this.
Worse, in many ways I'd say, looking at the lack of investigations into what happened with the 2016 referendum, outside interference and campaign finance violations. I won't argue with people who want what you want when it comes to the Iraq war.

All I wanted to know was why you didn't like Phillips. You've given me a plain answer, and raised a point I'm not going to defend her over, so thank you.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
A more moderate Labour Leader could be a good thing imo if they are actually going to unify the party. They would have less baggage than Corbyn, they would seem moderate to the general public than Corbyn immediately even if the policies don't change but unifying the party must mean keeping most of Corbyn's policies and having some prominent figures of the left in cabinet like John McDonnell staying in No.11.

Also whoever is chosen needs to be able to work well with Momentum, the Brexit Party and the Leave Campaign had very good social media presence and used it effectively to win campaigns. Momentum was pretty good in 2017 and will be important in the next GE.

SvennusDemonicus

alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
PLEASE PLAY NICE!

God I hate the guy
Boris Johnson has said he hopes the EU will "show common sense" and agree a new Brexit deal, as No 10 refused to rule out scheduling an election in the first days after leaving the EU on 31 October if Johnson loses a confidence motion.

The prime minister said he still hoped to broker a compromise with the EU, days after it was reported Brussels officials now believed the UK was heading full tilt toward crashing out without a deal with no serious efforts being made to renegotiate.

"I'm sure there is compromise to be found and as we've made clear, the backstop just doesn't work for a proud democracy like the UK," Johnson told the BBC. "We don't want to go down that route. But there's every possibility for the EU to show flexibility. There's bags of time for them to do it and I'm confident they will."

SvennusDemonicus

alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Why do all xenophobes etc all look like snakes in human skin.

1616.jpg

Edit of course he's wearing a gillet

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017

I can't speak for Git, but personally I do see 200,000 dead and far more living in poverty as a number one crisis.

Also, I dispute your ordering. It's the last 10 years of austerity that led to Brexit, not Brexit that is going to lead to austerity. A number one priority has to be to stop austerity and the associated deaths and child poverty, otherwise Brexit and associated problems are only going to be multiplied. You can't afford to ignore and compromise on the poverty that is rife in this country, otherwise Brexit is going to look twice as bad in a few years. The tools we have to stop Brexit will be worse.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I can't speak for Git, but personally I do see 200,000 dead and far more living in poverty as a number one crisis.

Also, I dispute your ordering. It's the last 10 years of austerity that led to Brexit, not Brexit that is going to lead to austerity. A number one priority has to be to stop austerity and the associated deaths and child poverty, otherwise Brexit and associated problems are only going to be multiplied. You can't afford to ignore and compromise on the poverty that is rife in this country, otherwise Brexit is going to look twice as bad in a few years. The tools we have to stop Brexit will be worse.
Right now the imminent danger is No Deal Brexit. If you want to stop austerity, you've got to get that out of the way first. We all know that the rich won't be the ones who carry the economic effects of No Deal. We also all know what the Tories are going to do with more control, and I think we can agree that we need to do whatever we can to stop it. Ultimately we're talking about the same people being put in direct harm.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
All Brexiters who think the EU is simultaneously about to crumble at any minute and is also too strong and bullying the plucky UK. All the dumbfucks who voted leave essentially who if the country manages to survive no deal will still bang on about 'Project Fear'. Fuck the lot of them.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know what will be funny, no matter what happens, the UK has to knock the EU door and in perhaps the weakest position possible, get a good deal from the EU after talking constant shit about them, acting like a bunch of pricks. It will be sobering, nothing has changed so to speak.

UK "Hello"

EU "39 billion"

UK "Excus...

EU "Agree to these common rules and regulations"

UK "Buuuu...."

EU "Sign here"

UK "I don't understa.

EU "Anything else I can help you with today?"

UK "Security, fishing, travel I suppose"

EU "Great, just sign here to join this group, enjoy your stay"

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
A little earlier in this topic, it showed how much the average Brit would lose under a no-deal Brexit. It would push a couple of million extra people to poverty.
No Deal Brexit could even lead to a long term rise of heart attacks due to the more limited availablity of fruit.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dear Mark Sedwill,

You will no doubt be aware of press speculation that, even if Parliament votes that it has no confidence in the current Conservative government, the Prime Minister could attempt to force through a disastrous No Deal Brexit by scheduling a general election after the UK is due to leave the European Union on 31 October.

Forcing through No Deal against a decision of Parliament, and denying the choice to the voters in a general election already underway, would be an unprecedented, unconstitutional and anti-democratic abuse of power by a Prime Minister elected, not by the public, but by a small number of unrepresentative Conservative Party members.

I am therefore writing to seek your urgent clarification on the proper application of 'Purdah' rules in such a scenario and the constitutional implications of failing to abide by those rules.

As you will be aware, Purdah guidance makes clear that "decisions on matters of policy on which a new government might be expected to want the opportunity to take a different view from the present government should be postponed until after the election, provided that such postponement would not be detrimental to the national interest or wasteful of public money."

As government assessments make clear, a No Deal Brexit would have a deeply damaging impact on the economy, with serious consequences for jobs, living standards and industry in this country. A Labour government will never support a No Deal exit, so would of course "want the opportunity to take a different view."

I would therefore be grateful for your confirmation that, if the UK is due to leave the EU without a deal during a general election campaign, the government should seek a time-limited extension to Article 50, to let the electorate decide and the incoming government to take the next steps on the basis of the voters' wishes.

As this is a matter of public interest, I am making this letter public.

Yours sincerely,

Jeremy Corbyn MP

Leader of the Labour Party

I guess someone is going to have to decide sooner rather than later if no-deal remains the legal default during an election. It seems unlikely tbh but this is the sort of thing that ends up in the supreme court.

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
No Deal Brexit could even lead to a long term rise of heart attacks due to the more limited availablity of fruit.

This made me chuckle. A more likely, and shorter-term, cause of increased heart attacks will come from the collapse of small businesses - any small low-margin business that relies heavily on imports (like mine, and about another 300 just within a mile of where I'm sitting - probably more than 100,000 in England) is at extremely high risk of failure, leaving unsold stock, no income, unsatisfied mortgage payments etc etc.

I guess someone is going to have to decide sooner rather than later if no-deal remains the legal default during an election. It seems unlikely tbh but this is the sort of thing that ends up in the supreme court.

Not the Supreme Court's call. It is the EU's call, and the extension was granted only up to end October.

Last edited:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

Article 50 is written pretty clearly.
I find it highly unlikely that the Supreme Court are going to try and say Article 50 needs to be revoked by default during an election.
UK supreme court has no jurisdiction.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Not remotely unimaginable then that we'll be in recession by the leaving date (e.g. before Brexit) though it won't be official by then.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Not the Supreme Court's call. It is the EU's call, and the extension was granted only up to end October.

I think he means that Boris would need to ask for an extension first, not that the EU would give one.
I don't even know if a court can force a PM to do something like that and if there's the time for it to happen once he makes a move.

^i see he just answered.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Well, that just proves we need to get on with it, not enough austerity, labours fault somehow. We must cut taxes, reduce regulations, standards, safeguards, workers rights but most importantly optimism will see us through. Turbo charge those boot straps and polish my boots peasants.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Well, that just proves we need to get on with it, not enough austerity, labours fault somehow. We must cut taxes, reduce regulations, standards, safeguards, workers rights but most importantly optimism will see us through. Turbo charge those boot straps and polish my boots peasants.

Britannia Unchained written by Priti Patel, Elizabeth Truss, Kwarsi Kwarteng and Dominic Raab.
"The British are among the worst idlers in the world. We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor. Whereas Indian children aspire to be doctors or businessmen, the British are more interested in football and pop music".

I'm not sure why they are so optimistic either.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Even if that statement were absolutely 100% true in terms of populations and relative amibition, one does have to ask the question 'why is this a bad thing?'

Retiring early is fucking ace for the individual if they can do it. Working lowest hours too, providing it's by choice.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They want to retire early, get a cushy board room, consultant job not us plebs who they need to maximise their profits. Anyway, why does leaving the EU matter to achieve that, makes no sense unless you want to screw people over....oh.

I wonder how many UK companies are going to get bought by foreign investment/owners. They must be circling waiting for the pound to fall further and make their move.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK

The problem with this line of thinking is that for huge parts of the country, they don't think things can get any worse after the hit the last decade has had on real term incomes and punishments given to those on welfare. I agree that things will get worse after brexit, but it doesn't work to just state this without giving the people who are suffering any kind of commitment that it will get better afterwards - and this is one reason why the Leave campaign won in the first place. They made promises of things being better (even if they were total lies), rather than just more of the same shit that the recession + Tory economics had given the country for ~9 years

It's not just their vote (in the case of Lammy) for the war, it's their continued position - and votes, that it shouldn't be investigated. I want those responsible for warcrimes to be held accountable by our MPs. The UK is nearly as bad as the States for this.

Agree, I still get mad about the Marine A stuff. Absolutely disgusting that people defended a war criminal, and the culture of defending the troops against any and all crimes that they might and have committed is one of the worst things we seem to have started to copy from the USA

Britannia Unchained written by Priti Patel, Elizabeth Truss, Kwarsi Kwarteng and Dominic Raab.
"The British are among the worst idlers in the world. We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor. Whereas Indian children aspire to be doctors or businessmen, the British are more interested in football and pop music".

I'm not sure why they are so optimistic either.

God forbid people would want to enjoy their lives and want to retire earlier than sixty fucking seven years old

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Scheduling a GE after a vote of no confidence and timing it to effectively force a no deal Brexit would be hubris of the highest order.

Status
Not open for further replies.