• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017

Nick Boles says he won't support a VoNC.

tumblr_o1yih3wVVZ1ty8mi0o4_r1_500.gif

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Sigh. They're all so wet. On no level is Boris Johnson seeking a deal that will facilitate an orderly departure. He is seeking the impossible while making it increasingly clear that he's totally okay with leaving in a disorderly fashion. I'm sick to death of this bullshit where these MPs fuck around until it's almost too late (or, who knows this time, altogether too late).

Oct 27, 2017
The inside of Nick Boles head must be just all trampolines to produce the kind of mental gymnastics necessary to write that letter.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is boris allowing anything through Westminster that can be "seized" by the opposition, and he couldn't even be arsed to turn up.

Also loving the really petty ending, fuck me.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

oh look another MP that knows his job is gone come election time

what's the fucking point of another extension if you don't do anything else

"Or it could lay a motion of no confidence in itself, instruct Conservatives MPs to abstain so that the motion passes"... honestly have ever heard of a bigger load of convoluted bollocks in your life. Just absolute drivel.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
He's a (former) Tory. Probably won't do anything aligned with Corbyn unless it looks like Corbyn is doing what he's told. Probably scared of losing votes in his area even though the next election will probably see him off.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
You have to legally change the exit date, because that date is law. So maybe that's what he means.
Yeah, but that doesn't actually change anything unless the EU agrees to it first. What parliament should be trying to legislate is to Withdraw Article 50 if there is no deal passed by X number of weeks/days before the deadline. Because they can do that unilaterally. But none of them want to bite the bullet and actually do something that makes sense they just want to look like they are.

Edit: Oh, you mean that he means Corbyn needs to agree to back and extension if Boris comes back with it? Reading it again it seems like that's what he's asking. "If Boris by some miracle sees this is a bad idea and gets an extension, Corbyn should back it without promise of an election" is a pretty dumb stance in itself but less dumb.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Yeah, but that doesn't actually change anything unless the EU agrees to it first. What parliament should be trying to legislate is to Withdraw Article 50 if there is no deal passed by X number of weeks/days before the deadline. Because they can do that unilaterally. But none of them want to bite the bullet and actually do something that makes sense they just want to look like they are.

The SNP got shat on by everyone when they tried to do this last time round... let's see what happens next time...

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The SNP got shat on by everyone when they tried to do this last time round... let's see what happens next time...
Probably the same thing. Neither the Tories or Labour want to be seen as the people who "stood against the will of the people" or some dumb shit.

We just need a second IndieRef at this point tbh. SNP did what they can but it was always stacked against them. What England (and Wales) wants England (and Wales) gets.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Boles seems to think that Boris can be compelled by parliament like May was.
But I think Boris would either act in contempt of parliament or simply ask for an extension in a manner that demonstrates such bad faith that Macron and other EU leaders will not grant it.
Boris can't actually get an extension or he's finished as a politician and the Tories' vote will be halved as they defect to the Brexit Party to make brexit happen.

The problem is that you can't both seek to remove the Boris government AND seize control of the Boris's parliament to order an extension.
Getting the numbers for a VoNC will be extremely hard and getting thos esame people to vote for confidence in a new government is even harder. If that fails, it leads to what Boris wants (suspended parliament in October for a GE) without him having to take responsibility for suspending parliament at such a critical time.

Boles's idea is more likely to pass than confidence in a new government, but less likely to convince the EU to actually give an extension.
Boles's idea is also ironically more likely to lead to a Corbyn government (if it worked, which it probably wouldn't).

As a wise man once said, it'll be a shitshow.

Geeker

May 11, 2019
Buckethead was spot on

My best bet is border in the Irish sea to resolve the immediate problem with the Irish border. That Implies mid to long term mad max great Britain with in particular Scotland increasing its push for independence. A bit like the scene in the Thing when the spider head parts from the body. London will be in turmoil as well given its general propensity for remain

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
A (at least for the moment) hypothetical question: At the Macron press conference, Johnson stated that, regardless of what happens, the UK won't have border controls under any circumstances at the Ireland / NI border. I know that this is all posturing and playing the blame game, but what would happen if the UK crashes out with no deal on the 31st of October and the UK simply happens to do nothing at all at the Irish border (while probably expecting Ireland / the EU to act first and close the border on their side so that they can then shift the blame entirely onto the EU)?

Christ, I feel dumber already for merely envisaging that scenario, but here we are...

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
what would happen if the UK crashes out with no deal on the 31st of October and the UK simply happens to do nothing at all at the Irish border (while probably expecting Ireland / the EU to act first and close the border on their side so that they can then shift the blame entirely onto the EU)?
massive smuggling of all and everything, massive tax evasion on imports.
the end of safety : every bit of food, medecine, spare parts failing the eu regulations will go to the uk instead of garbage bins.
you don't want that.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
A (at least for the moment) hypothetical question: At the Macron press conference, Johnson stated that, regardless of what happens, the UK won't have border controls under any circumstances at the Ireland / NI border. I know that this is all posturing and playing the blame game, but what would happen if the UK crashes out with no deal on the 31st of October and the UK simply happens to do nothing at all at the Irish border (while probably expecting Ireland / the EU to act first and close the border on their side so that they can then shift the blame entirely onto the EU)?

Christ, I feel dumber already for merely envisaging that scenario, but here we are...

If the UK does nothing to defend the Irish border, then they can't apply anything to defend the GB border. Not legally anyway. The UK would be in breach of WTO commitments from day one. An open border is an open border.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
If the UK does nothing to defend the Irish border, then they can't apply anything to defend the GB border. Not legally anyway. The UK would be in breach of WTO commitments from day one. An open border is an open border.

This is correct though I think the word 'defend' is probably a bit confusing! My understanding is that without actual trade deals in place, we'd have no legal way to discriminate on what products are being brought into the country. For example with tariffs, if we allow imports from the EU with no tariffs, we'd have to apply the same to all imports from all areas. With an open border in Northern Ireland, neither the UK market or the EU market has integrity.

I'm guessing the intention is for us to break the rules and tell the WTO to shove it, while tolerating that we have no controls on what is coming into our country.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Lol Spiegel homepage is ruthless. Headline on the starting page:

"Johnson accomplishes nothing"

This is correct though I think the word 'defend' is probably a bit confusing! My understanding is that without actual trade deals in place, we'd have no legal way to discriminate on what products are being brought into the country. If we allow imports from the EU with no tariffs, we'd have to apply the same to all imports from all areas. With an open border in Northern Ireland, neither the UK market or the EU market has integrity.

That is correct and exactly why this idea is stupid as fuck. British industry and farmers are gonna get wrecked if they have competition with 0% tariffs while they have to pay export tariffs.

Oct 27, 2017

The EU basically can't allow there to be no border because if goods get into Ireland unchecked then they can get anywhere else in the EU from there, it would effectively destroy the integrity of the single market (and the make the tariffs they impose on goods from outside the EU impossible to enforce).

But things would be much worse for the UK, any good could dock legally in Ireland and be driven into the UK with zero record of where it came from or who made it, so anything from food and pharmaceuticals to people and guns could flow over the border, how many people do you really think could walk over before the army set up and started checking passports? I bet none, and as soon as you've done that you've got border controls.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ha, so we export a lot of household rubbish to Netherlands, Sweden etc. instead of putting it landfill 4/5 down to 1/5 over the years and if no deal happens, that may become more difficult so they would need to go into landfill in the North of England.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
"Here you are Boris, stick your foot up on that. Ian Dunt's going to love it".
It's less about pleasing remainers and more about creating an image for Boris and himself. Impulsive people are easy to take advantage of and Macron has already shown a penchant for that kind of stuff (see his interactions with Trump).

Again, I'm not a fan of this MASTER STRATEGIST line of thinking, but it's a very Macronesque thing to do.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
It's less about pleasing remainers and more about creating an image for Boris and himself. Impulsive people are easy to take advantage of and Macron has already shown a penchant for that kind of stuff (see his interactions with Trump).

Again, I'm not a fan of this MASTER STRATEGIST line of thinking, but it's a very Macronesque thing to do.

I'd like to think that but he could get Johnson to take his belt down a few notches and have his trousers fall down if he wanted. This is pretty benign and a bit of a distraction. Now if he did it so that it distracted the media from anything else then yeah, it's clever.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017

Obligatory:

macron-putin-golf-cart.-AP-photo-francois-mori-pool-1.jpeg

It's a shame that Macron seems to be a bit shit domestically, because I like what he's doing on the international stage.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is nothing sacred!

Hasbro, the US toymaker behind My Little Pony and Play-Doh, has snapped up the Peppa Pig owner Entertainment One in a £3.3bn takeover.

Others

Earlier this week Hong Kong's richest family bought the 220-year old pub and beer company Greene King in a £4.6bn deal. Last month the US private equity group Advent International agreed a £4bn buyout of the UK aerospace and defence supplier Cobham and the Netherlands-based Takeaway.com agreed a £5bn takeover of the UK-listed food delivery rival Just Eat. In June, Merlin, which operates attractions including Alton Towers, Madame Tussauds and Legoland, was taken private by a consortium including the family that controls the Lego toymaking empire.

Already said but if you need a reminder

And, as the Daily Telegraph (paywall) is reporting this morning, even if Johnson were to find an alternative to the backstop acceptable to the EU, Tory Brexiters are telling him that that would not be enough to persuade them to vote for the withdrawal agreement because there are other aspects of it that they want to change.

David Davis

I'd argue for contingency on the money. I'd argue for tighter limits, timetable limits, sunset clauses on ECJ and things like that. I'd have a small shopping list.
It wouldn't be a ridiculous one, but one I think that any serious European Parliament and any European Council that wants a deal could go with.
If I were doing this for Boris, I would be insistent on is that they make the bill - the £39bn, the second half of it - contingent on progress on the future economic partnership.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
And, as the Daily Telegraph (paywall) is reporting this morning, even if Johnson were to find an alternative to the backstop acceptable to the EU, Tory Brexiters are telling him that that would not be enough to persuade them to vote for the withdrawal agreement because there are other aspects of it that they want to change

The most pathetic thing is this is just a cover for the small chance that the backstop does get 'resolved'. If they got all of this they'd still be against it.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Cobham is a biggie. It's super entrenched in the defence sector and their products are all over the world. I don't think it's related to Brexit, but the weak pound may have helped.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
It's a shame that Macron seems to be a bit shit domestically, because I like what he's doing on the international stage.

In his Rothschild banker days he learned to handle rich and powerful people.
That's also why he has problems connecting with common or lower class people, they might as well be from a different universe.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Cobham is a biggie. It's super entrenched in the defence sector and their products are all over the world. I don't think it's related to Brexit, but the weak pound may have helped.
When I say "because of brexit", I quite literally mean because you can now buy UK companies at firesale prices due to the weak pound.

Happened a lot right after the Brexit vote too.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
When I say "because of brexit", I quite literally mean because you can now buy UK companies at firesale prices due to the weak pound.

Happened a lot right after the Brexit vote too.
It's one of the things that make me wonder if half of the hardcore leavers among the Tories are bluffing. Disaster capitalism may be tempting, but there's a chance that the damage may be too extense. The manufacturing base would be ravaged, but even large management firms could be hit much harder than anticipated if the pound tanks.

Imagine a situation in which British firms can't access public tenders for the privatisation of services because they don't have the liquidity. Cunning Leavers with the financial capacity may be betting on it, because they are people who will find the way to make a tidy profit even in the most dire circumstances, but how many others are hoping for a career in the private sector once they graduate from politics? Surely enough many of them know that their days will be counted after Brexit and plan to use it as a springboard for a board position or an external advisor role.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else feel that the only material Brexit stuff always happens a week before the deadline? We have been in this holding pattern so often. Hopefully a GE will happen in the next one.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
You could argue that May was never really going to allow No Deal. However Johnson has assembled a team of the worst people imaginable to who really don't give a fuck about the consequences of No Deal with Cummings as the puppet master I honestly think he will lead us over the clff edge if Parliament don't do something to stop it.

SvennusDemonicus

alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
So I see Boris is saying to the us to stop the tariffs on China and visa versa like they will listen to him when he literally has no cards

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Honestly this feels exactly like the sort of thing from exactly the sort of person Trump would actually listen to and change his mind from.

That would make me believe it was a setup or something, the only thing on Trump's mind is himself followed by the US looking tough for his supporters. Making Boris look like the sensible grown up in the room will only come back to bite the relationship.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
A pretty ruthless splash of cold water in the FT, for those brexiteers thinking Ireland can easily be brought to heel... with some eye watering stats on how Ireland has transformed and decoupled from the UK since joining the EU.

Brexit has turned into a hostage situation. Boris Johnson is the kidnapper, Ireland is the captive and the backstop is the ransom. The British message to the EU is, "Drop the backstop or we'll kill the hostage in a no-deal shootout". Doubtless the UK could inflict much harm on Ireland, particularly in agriculture: near 70 per cent of UK beef imports come from Ireland, for example. And crashing out could badly interrupt Ireland's global supply chain. Nearly half of the 475,000 Irish freight containers of cargo per year going through British ports go to the EU. That said, the Irish economy is much less dependent on the UK than many Brexiters imagine.

Here they are. In 1953, when Winston Churchill was prime minister for the last time, 91 per cent of Irish exports went to the UK. Today, that figure is 11 per cent and falling.

Today, Irish firms in the UK employ more people than UK firms in Ireland.

Today, little Ireland remains the UK's fifth largest export market. Britain exports more to Ireland than it does to China with its population of 1.4bn. Furthermore, the UK runs a large trade surplus with Ireland — in fact, its second-largest trade surplus after the US. Strangling Ireland would hurt UK business much more than the other way around.

Ireland buys more from Britain because Ireland is much richer. Rich people buy stuff. On a conservative estimate, the Irish are now over 25 per cent richer than their UK counterparts. Irish income per capita rose from €13,934 in 1995 to €40,655 in 2018 — growth of 192 per cent. In contrast, UK income per capita rose from £21,716 in 1995 to £30,594 in 2018 — growth of roughly 41 per cent. Ireland is growing nearly five times faster than the UK every year.

This export-orientation ensured that Ireland is today a formidable trading machine. Based on the most recent data, the value of all goods and services exports per employed person in Ireland was €126,630 per year, compared to just €17,627 in the UK. Total trade in Ireland was 178 per cent of Ireland's gross domestic product, which was significantly higher than the EU overall (77 per cent) and the UK (54 per cent). If there is a Singapore of Europe, it wears green not red, white and blue.

Ireland can't stop the UK if it intends to go down this route, but the EU single market and customs union are far more important for us. We understand the yearning for sovereignty, identity and independence, believe me. But just one piece of advice: the first 70 years are the hardest, after that it gets easier.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.