• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa I just posted that Pelosi statement because it was very relevant to a US/UK trade deal that's been a major talking point, didn't expect it to cause a fuss over Pelosi herself
Don't worry about it! Fighting amongst ourselves while the world is burning is a favorite pastime of us leftists regardless of continent.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Corbyn is a) following Labour's conference plan to the letter and is b) not prime minister.

But he is a Leftist who has outsized power relative to his position and is using it in a way that helps the Right, whilst doing what he thinks is right and hurting the electorate in the process.

I'm almost certainly reading too much into it, though. :)

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
But he is a Leftist who has outsized power relative to his position and is using it in a way that helps the Right, whilst doing what he thinks is right and hurting the electorate in the process.

I'm almost certainly reading too much into it, though. :)
And so far he* did that by defeating the Tories deal 3 times without having a majority?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Brexit is in hibernation till October when someone notices that a new deadline is looming.

This is honestly why the EU should've only extended like a month. Or even a few weeks. And just keep doing that.

Literally no one in the UK govt seems to actually want to do any real work unless their backs are against the wall. Watch fuck-all happen until Oct 1st, if not later.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
This is honestly why the EU should've only extended like a month. Or even a few weeks. And just keep doing that.

Literally no one in the UK govt seems to actually want to do any real work unless their backs are against the wall. Watch fuck-all happen until Oct 1st, if not later.
The longer this drags on the more likely it is the UK stays in the EU, which would on the whole suit them just fine.

Deleted member 50969

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
That LBJ quote is truly timeless.

It's pretty crazy how poor or unlucky white people still think they have kin with their richer counterparts.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
"W-w-well the Remain campaign did bad stuff too!"

Brexiters will bury their head in the sand all day, every day. They don't give a fuck.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
So I heard Hunt this week talking about how the absolute priority is to get the deal signed off before May 23rd. Which is the sort of fantasy and delusion that I really wish journalists would pick up on, given that the Withdrawal Agreement Bill, i.e. the thing that actually puts the Withdrawal Agreement into UK law, still needs signing off on and it's not even been presented to Parliament yet!

There's 17 planned sitting days of Parliament between now and May 22nd, and just as an example, Maastrich took 41 days to be approved, and Lisbon took 25. This bill is going to be rather more substantial and important to everyone than either of those, so slamming that through in less time seems rather implausible and highly irresponsible.

Then there's the possibility of amendments. If any of those amendments to the bill change the nature of the Withdrawal Agreement (and you know what amendments the ERG/DUP will want to push) means it can't be ratified by the European Parliament.

Oh yes, they need to ratify it too, and they break up at the end of the week. Sure, there's plans for an extraordinary session, but that'd need organising, which would take time.. which just eats further into the May 23rd deadline.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Enraging. That smug fucker Banks deserves to be in jail.
So I heard Hunt this week talking about how the absolute priority is to get the deal signed off before May 23rd. Which is the sort of fantasy and delusion that I really wish journalists would pick up on, given that the Withdrawal Agreement Bill, i.e. the thing that actually puts the Withdrawal Agreement into UK law, still needs signing off on and it's not even been presented to Parliament yet!

There's 17 planned sitting days of Parliament between now and May 22nd, and just as an example, Maastrich took 41 days to be approved, and Lisbon took 25. This bill is going to be rather more substantial and important to everyone than either of those, so slamming that through in less time seems rather implausible and highly irresponsible.

Then there's the possibility of amendments. If any of those amendments to the bill change the nature of the Withdrawal Agreement (and you know what amendments the ERG/DUP will want to push) means it can't be ratified by the European Parliament.

Oh yes, they need to ratify it too, and they break up at the end of the week. Sure, there's plans for an extraordinary session, but that'd need organising, which would take time.. which just eats further into the May 23rd deadline.
Yeah it's a fantasy that we can avoid European elections, absolute fantasy. Most of them know it too, but are desperately trying to pretend otherwise for tactical reasons.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you expect the press to start picking up on the fantasy of Brexit I think you're going to be dissapointed. The only thing that Brexiters have been peddling is nonsense. They've been saying the same rubbish for years and years and the press basically never challenges them on it - even though everything Brexiters have argued has basically turned out to be wrong or an outright lie.

Of course, the problem is that most of the press and most MPs (and similarly powerful and wealthy people) are in the same class. They went to the same schools and universities and move in the same circles. As their interests are aligned it's hardly a shock to see that there's no real challenge to the Brexit narrative.

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, if you expect the press to start picking up on the fantasy of Brexit I think you're going to be dissapointed. The only thing that Brexiters have been peddling is nonsense. They've been saying the same rubbish for years and years and the press basically never challenges them on it - even though everything Brexiters have argued has basically turned out to be wrong or an outright lie.

Of course, the problem is that most of the press and most MPs (and similarly powerful and wealthy people) are in the same class. They went to the same schools and universities and move in the same circles. As their interests are aligned it's hardly a shock to see that there's no real challenge to the Brexit narrative.

Yup. Also, they are never challenged on their constantly moving goalposts- in a couple of years we've moved from 'everything will be like it was before but better' to 'an adequate supply of turnips will be maintained, muh sovereignty'. The Beeb has been particularly infuriating on this.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
So what happens when the leavers realise brexit doesn't mean all the immigrants go away?
Haven't immigrants from outside the EU been going up since Brexit? It's going to be one of the greatest ironies of this whole thing

Of course it will have never been about immigration once that is clear, it will be about unelected tyrants in Brussels and the EU Army.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London

Disturbing article about how remain parties are splitting the vote and how Farage could fuck us all with his simplistic, focused nonsense.

Also yet another reason why TINGE are fucking shite.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All those people that want a second ref at any cost and would be happy to wave through May's deal (or any old deal) to get it because they think they'll easily win need to take a long hard look at these polls.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Getting echoes of Spain's PP imploding and Vox picking many of its most beligerant voters.

Of Italy's Forza Italia going down the drain, only to have much of its base moving to Lega.

Oh boy.

This is why big tent conservative parties listening to the troglodites among their ranks is always a bad idea.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BossyFlawedGrayreefshark.gif

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Getting echoes of Spain's PP imploding and Vox picking many of its most beligerant voters.

Of Italy's Forza Italia going down the drain, only to have much of its base moving to Lega.

Oh boy.

This is why big tent conservative parties listening to the troglodites among their ranks is always a bad idea.
In this case, I would say it is mostly because Brexit party can say it is "clean" when compared to UKIP going full on fascist.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
In this case, I would say it is mostly because Brexit party can say it is "clean" when compared to UKIP going full on fascist.

Yup, exactly. It helps that they have a very simple and clear message too. Want Brexit, vote for the Brexit Party. Everyone else has other aims and ambitions so they're floundering.

Oh and this is just a few days after launch which means that a lot of people won't even have heard of the party yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.