• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Does it actually matter that much though? If it was first past the post, it would be horrifying... but it's not.

Or is the argument that because they "won" we wont be able to have a confirmation vote?

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People aren't going to like it but the best way to stop Farage is vote Labour.

Of course what people will actually do is vote for five different parties.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

This is because Labour was sitting on the fence for so long regarding Brexit and their favourite solution is still a Brexit. Remainers would actually need their own clean Remain party for that.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
All those people that want a second ref at any cost and would be happy to wave through May's deal (or any old deal) to get it because they think they'll easily win need to take a long hard look at these polls.
I've been simultaneously desperate for and terrified by a second vote ever since it started being talked about.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's safe to assume that whoever votes for Labour in the EU election is still a Brexiter, just a soft one.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Farage's March for Leave was a flop, and the Brexit Party launch just last week was presented to a mostly empty room, yet Farage is polling the highest? I smell bullshit.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Labour MEPs aren't brexiteers.

They're representatives of a party that has Brexit as official party policy. A vote for a Labour MEP is a vote in support of a party that supports Brexit.

Anyone that wants to use this election to show the changing tide in support of Remain should be backing a party that unambiguously supports remain. Between the Lib Dems, Change UK and the Greens, there's plenty of representation for a strong remain message.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017

This should've been an easy thing to do, so that the party would look like less of a "middle-class white-people club" and seriously fuck people threatening legal action against what is a mostly symbolic gesture of diversity. At least they managed a reasonably diverse group despite the South West.
Using the whole 65-MP list for diversity targets is a little misleading though, since most of them don't stand a chance of election (much as I'd like the LD's to get >95% of the vote and 100% of the MEPs).
The only part that matters is the top position on the list (in terms of direct election results rather than indirect benefits of more divesity in lower-level positions). Just getting a second MP in the biggest region would need a massive swing to the lib dems (which the polls do not show).
The Lib Dems are not going to win 65 seats (they currently have just 1, and got 11 in their pre-coalition boom). They'll be lucky to get one seat in each region, which generally requires that they beat the Greens and CHUK. So the real list is:

East Midlands (5) Bill Newton Dunn (Male, white, straight, able-bodied, pro-EU ex-Tory, literally the father of the Suns political editor)
East of England (7) Barbara Gibson (Female, white, straight, able-bodied)
London (8) Irina Von Wiese (Female, white, straight, able-bodied)
North East (3) Fiona Hall (very unlikely to win due to 3-seat brexity constituency, Female, white, straight, able-bodied)
North West (8) Chris Davies (Male, white, straight, able-bodied, previously sacked for antisemitic remarks...)
South East (10) Catherine Bearder (Female, white, straight, able-bodied, sole LibDem incumbent MEP)
South West (5) Caroline Voaden (Female, white, straight, able-bodied)
West Midlands (7) Phil Bennion (Male, white, unclear sexuality, able-bodied)
Yorkshire and the Humber (6) Shaffaq Mohammed (Male, asian-Kashmiri, unclear sexuality, able-bodied)
Wales (5) Sam Bennett (Male, white, unclear sexuality, able-bodied)
(Numbers in brackets are the # of MPs, so bigger means you can win with a smaller % of the vote)

The realistic best case for the lib dems is to get 4 middle-class white men, 4 middle-class white women and an asian man. Not terrible for diversity but not great.
None of them are openly gay or disabled, at least in their election profiles - I'm not going full detective here and some may be gay and just not mention it or have a non-obvious disability.
I'll be essentially voting for Shaffaq, so I hope he isn't a secret arsehole.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
I've seen a few tweets saying that poll was only of people who voted on the last EP elections i.e. the hardcore Eurosceptic crazies will be massively oversampled, but I haven't had time to verify.

If true, this poll will not be remotely accurate.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're representatives of a party that has Brexit as official party policy. A vote for a Labour MEP is a vote in support of a party that supports Brexit.

Anyone that wants to use this election to show the changing tide in support of Remain should be backing a party that unambiguously supports remain. Between the Lib Dems, Change UK and the Greens, there's plenty of representation for a strong remain message.
All of those parties are happy to facilitate May's Brexit plan for the roll of the dice at a second ref. How exactly is that better? What if they don't win?

For all the complaining the way I see it is at least Labour are trying to change the terms of the deal before getting a confirmation vote, so even if we do eventually end up leaving in some form we'll still have those links. I think it's over simplistic to just hand wave it away and say "well they want Brexit" because if that was true we wouldn't still be in the EU now.

Also the party is still overwhelmingly pro-Europe so if we do end up staying these are the MEPs we'll have for the next 5 years or whatever it is.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Labour MEPs aren't brexiteers.

Why do you want people to vote for Labour candidates then?

I'm a lifelong Labour voter who believes passionately that Brexit in any form is a mistake, and I genuinely don't know what to do to register my disapproval of the party's policy towards Brexit outside of withholding my vote.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Why do you want people to vote for Labour candidates then?

I'm a lifelong Labour voter who believes passionately that Brexit in any form is a mistake, and I genuinely don't know what to do to register my disapproval of the party's policy towards Brexit outside of withholding my vote.
Every single Labour MEP is pro-EU and constructive, and includes people like Seb Dance who's been a bit of a hero over Brexit. Additionally, due to how the voting system works, I'd take into consideration who is popular in your area and thus more likely to get one or more MEPs. Passionately Remain voters splitting their votes 3-4 ways in a constituency could see none of those parties get any MEPs while Farage's party get two on similar vote totals, with Labour and Tories splitting the rest.

Basically, as much as it might stick in your craw, don't rule out voting Labour because it might be counter productive.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
It just feels so weird to vote for a brexit party in an EU election.

Like, seriously. a party that wants out of the EU being voted... into the EU?

like wut

Oct 28, 2017

like wut

Like setting off a stink bomb in an exam so you can get out early, really. If only we could clown brexiteers into not voting, as if its a more effective protest vote, than putting bloviating bastards like Farage into EU parliament.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Every single Labour MEP is pro-EU and constructive, and includes people like Seb Dance who's been a bit of a hero over Brexit. Additionally, due to how the voting system works, I'd take into consideration who is popular in your area and thus more likely to get one or more MEPs. Passionately Remain voters splitting their votes 3-4 ways in a constituency could see none of those parties get any MEPs while Farage's party get two on similar vote totals, with Labour and Tories splitting the rest.

Basically, as much as it might stick in your craw, don't rule out voting Labour because it might be counter productive.

Does it really matter if all of the MEPs will go home after October? It will just send the message that the current Labour Brexit plan is fine.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Does it really matter if all of the MEPs will go home after October? It will just send the message that the current Labour Brexit plan is fine.
And since the current Labour Brexit plan seems to include a 2nd ref I'm not too bothered about that.

I mean yea in an ideal world I'd definitely vote the unambiguously pro remain Green but because of the voting system I may well have to vote for the ambiguous softer Brexit/2nd ref party.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
The electoral watchdog has rejected the ChUKas' logo for the European Elections on the ground of it being "likely to mislead voters".

A spokesperson for the Commission said: "The emblem contained a hashtag, and we cannot assess the material linked to a hashtag, which will change over time, against the legal tests.

"The emblem also contained the acronym TIG, which we were not satisfied was sufficiently well known."

The ChUKas will instead be accompanied on the ballot by a blank space.

... I swear to God, reality is becoming funnier than any amount of satire you could ever write.

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
The electoral watchdog has rejected the ChUKas' logo for the European Elections on the ground of it being "likely to mislead voters".
Why couldn't they just use their old one?
Yixx0TR.jpg

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
it's quite surprising that remainers didn't have a 'remain alliance' organised for these elections given that it was literally their political goal for the uk to participate in them and there's clearly domestic political value in being able to claim victory by coming first (as absurd as it is in a proportional system)

out planned and organised by nigel farage , hate to see it

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

like wut

Morons being conned. Farage only does it to get paid and idiots voted him in, same for all the other anti EU time wasters. They fight no corner except taking the EU for all it's worth, pension and all. The fact that Farage stands with fisherman allegedly yet never goes to fight for them in the EU except once because he probably legally had to tells you everything.

Party should be called stick it to the EU, would win by a landslide.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm... supposedly that poll is based on previous European election voters.

So it'd be chock full of kippers by default.

Edit - I love that the US is already throwing its weight around... and we're not even fully their bitch yet! ;)

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
i wonder who change uk will join with in the european parliament. are they going to maintain the pretense of being social democrats and join labour in s&d or the snp in one of the green groupings. are they going to join the free marketeer liberal grouping like the lib dem's or en marche. or straight for the love george osborne hate may angle and join merkel in the epp.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

Actually, on those exact polling figures, the best way to deny BRX a seat is to vote CUK. voting for CUK / Lib Dem / Labour / Green is a total wash because however you split those party's votes BRX always end up with 3 seats. The best you can do is get the Tories down from 2 seats to 1 and not let UKIP get a seat. (I had to re-do my maths several times)

The UK EP elections use the D'hondt method of proportional representation.

It's a bit more complicated than this, but basically every time a party wins a seat, their vote share is divided by the number of seats they have plus 1. Then you check who wins the next seat, and their vote share is divided by the number of seats they have plus 1. Repeat until you've assigned all the seats.

That means by the time you've won your second seat, every "extra" vote is worth only 1/3rd of a vote for a party that has won zero seats.

I fucking hate D'hondt.

I've seen a few tweets saying that poll was only of people who voted on the last EP elections i.e. the hardcore Eurosceptic crazies will be massively oversampled, but I haven't had time to verify.

If true, this poll will not be remotely accurate.
Hmm... supposedly that poll is based on previous European election voters.

So it'd be chock full of kippers by default.

Edit - I love that the US is already throwing its weight around... and we're not even fully their bitch yet! ;)

Looks like a standard GB Adults poll to me.

Don't believe everything you read on Twitter.

Last edited:

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, on those exact polling figures, the best way to deny BRX a seat is to vote CUK.

The UK EP elections use the D'hondt method of proportional representation.

It's a bit more complicated than this, but basically every time a party wins a seat, their vote share is divided by the number of seats they have plus 1. Then you check who wins the next seat, and their vote share is divided by the number of seats they have plus 1. Repeat until you've assigned all the seats.

That means by the time you've won your second seat, every "extra" vote is worth only 1/3rd of a vote for a party that has won zero seats.

I fucking hate D'hondt.

Looks like a standard GB Adults poll to me.

Don't believe everything you read on Twitter.

The 'would not vote' party is tracking a point higher than the Brexit party. Kill me.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The 'would not vote' party is tracking a point higher than the Brexit party. Kill me.

Turnout at the 2014 European Parliament election in the UK was 35%

Thirty Five Percent.

Only 18% of people not voting would be a miracle, which is why you can only ever take polls with a pinch of salt.

Fair enough. Hence supposedly. :P
I didn't unconditionally believe it either, hence "I haven't had time to verify" and "if true".
Just wanted to nip the rumour in the bud before it became received wisdom.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018

surprised it's not much much higher given that these are theoretically elections for only a few months or so, no-one in this country (even the most devout remainers can't even put up the facade) cares about the makeup of the european parliament, and most people aren't consumed by the remain vs brexit culture war so don't need to make a protest vote

Last edited:

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't be too concerned right now about polling. It's not even official gov policy to hold one, despite us all knowing they are going to happen. Only those in the know, like us, are paying any attention to polling right now, it's not really influencing mainsstream society at all,for now.

Oh, and the anti brexit crowd have spent years, and millions, preparing for a election like this, and we just off the back of a march that saw one mill march the streets of London and a petition reach over 6 mil in support of cancelling brexit. The momentum is with the remainers. The remainer crowd and parties haven't even stated campaigning yet. Even if the vote is split three ways, the remainers have shown, unlike garage, they can mobilize a hell of a crowd.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Labour want remain on the ballot of the "confirmatory vote", and it'd kill the party stone dead if they didn't, despite what Corbyn, Milne or the 10% of Labour MPs who keep voting against it want.
Which is why Corbyn only wants a referendum on "a Tory Brexit". The moment the deal has changed with Labour input then as far as Corbyn is concerned there shouldn't be a referendum on it.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Which is why Corbyn only wants a referendum on "a Tory Brexit". The moment the deal has changed with Labour input then as far as Corbyn is concerned there shouldn't be a referendum on it.
Corbyn can want whatever the fuck he wants. The deal is unlikely to be changed in any significant way and his hands will be tied by not wanting to sunder his party.

Oct 27, 2017
Incredibly interesting to see what the Labour and the Tories will say, it's such a perfect opportunity to take the mood of the nation as a whole if they actually put their positions up as reason to vote for them e.g. Tories: Mays Deal, Labour: Peoples Vote (whether JC likes it or not), Green/Tig/LibDem: Remain. But I definitely have the impression that the parties will instead go out to get as many votes as they can instead which will mean lots of wooly speak and fence sitting from Lab & Tories and another vote that tells us nothing except that Nigel Farage know's how to cook gammon.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's quite surprising that remainers didn't have a 'remain alliance' organised for these elections given that it was literally their political goal for the uk to participate in them and there's clearly domestic political value in being able to claim victory by coming first (as absurd as it is in a proportional system)

out planned and organised by nigel farage , hate to see it
this is what I was trying to say. If remain had a proper single party vote it could get behind then a protest vote or some sort of soft referendum it would make more sense but as it is the people who don't give a toss are just going to vote for the brexit party and the protest remain vote is scattershot all over the place.

The best thing to do imo is treat it as if you're voting for the MEP and party you would've actually voted for. Take it seriously because there's not enough organisation to "send a message" so the next best thing is plan for a future where we're in the EU and stop Farage is his muppets representing us again.

At the end of the day if the brexit party win big it's going to look terrible.

Last edited:

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
YouGov is owned by Tory peer, Brexit fan and noted avoider of taxes Lord Ashcroft though, so pinch of salt and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.