• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omoi

May 7, 2019
How were the polls for the local elections a couple of weeks ago? I can't find any reference to them online for whatever reason. I'm quite interested to see how they matched up with the final results.

It baffles me that just a couple of weeks ago, the remainers got out and voted and these large swathes of Farage fans either didn't bother, or they voted for remain options instead (?).

Nigel could barely drum up support for his march, yet he we are (as I'm sure I've mentioned before).

The Brexit Party launch was a dud also, with low attendance, yet here we are.

Who's getting polled for this data? Is it exclusively voters from the last EU elections?

Something about The Faraud Party's success really doesn't add up to me. I wouldn't be surprised if TBP didn't have the success they're polling at next week.

BXP didn't stand in the locals at all.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can live in hope the Brexit party peaked early and they implode at the polls. Brexit party is a con job. I wish politicians would stick their neck out and say Brexit won't solve your problems, might get people to think twice next week and turn the tide. It's a simple enough message.

I see Boris has said whatever May does he will just tear it up if he gets in. What a trustworthy country. We are in such an impossible situation that needs truth to set us free from the madness but it's all must deliver just because and not for any sane reason.

Oct 28, 2017
I know.

But this majority of Brexit Party voters - where were they? Who did they vote for? That was my point. UKIP hardly had a good night.

Its very likely they didn't even bother to vote. Anyone supporting the Brexit party is a psychopath with just one idea on their mind. They don't really care about local governance or the minutiae, just the one big issue they think will solve it all.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know.

But this majority of Brexit Party voters - where were they? Who did they vote for? That was my point. UKIP hardly had a good night.
they didn't vote. as usual he local turnout was abysmal.

edit: just to add to this with some analysis

https://simonbriscoeblog.wordpress.com/2019/05/06/and-the-local-election-results-show/

Looking at the Chelmsford data (see my excel spreadsheet Local election results 2019 Chelmsford), the story of these elections was not about a Lib Dem surge in support. There hasn't been a surge in support. It was about turnout and the failure of Conservative supporters to vote. The simple mean of turnout percentage in each of the 24 wards fell from 69% in 2015 to 33% in 2019. Instead of two in three voting, it was only one in three. Half of those voting in 2015 couldn't be bothered this time.

Within the aggregate fall in turnout, the Lib Dem vote held solid. Total Lib Dem votes rose fractionally from 38,000 to 39,000 across Chelmsford. It wasn't that rise that got the Lib Dems the bulk of their new seats, rather that was as a result of the Conservative vote falling from 97,000 to 40,000. In some wards the Lib Dem vote rose and in others it fell, but in three quarters of the wards the change per candidate was less than 200, ie not much either way. Certainly not enough of a change or a consistent enough change to make a story out of (without having, for example, the 2011 data to compare with).

Last edited:

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
As much as it pains me to say it living here, if the majority vote for a party run by an obvious grifter with Trump and Russia ties that is too cowardly to declare where funding is coming from or to even release a manifesto... we deserve what we get.

It terrifies me.

Is the Kantor poll GE intention?

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London

None of these power hungry mediocrities even bother trying to hide it these days. Just utterly incoherent and so obviously saying whatever they think will get them support from their radicalised base when May finally falls.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as it pains me to say it living here, if the majority vote for a party run by an obvious grifter with Trump and Russia ties that is too cowardly to declare where funding is coming from or to even release a manifesto... we deserve what we get.

It terrifies me.

Is the Kantor poll GE intention?
Nah, that is Westminster. But the media link add on here shows the whole chain annoyingly

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hunt is just annoyed he can't make many more millions. He might have been remain at one point but the deal makers have turned his head like the rest of the cretins still wanting to push the worse Brexit.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
It was harsh, probably too harsh, and I genuinely feel for him and have people in my family in a similar situation, but it was in the context of him chastising people in this thread for not supporting Change UK and people like Heidi Allen. Both things are shitty, but I'm not going to support a bunch of ex-tories who have caused so much pain and devastation to this country just because they are pro remain, especially when there are a bunch of better pro-remain options to choose from who aren't directly responsible for the vicious cruelty of austerity.

FWIW, I'm an EU resident in the UK and completely agree with your sentiment. Allen was previously very happy to work for a party pushing extremely regressive economic policy and then blame it all on migration - so for her to turn around and suddenly wash her hands of her involvement in it just because Brexit blew up in their faces is really fucking rich. They aren't friend's of EU migrants in the UK and would be happy to throw us under a bus if they felt it benefited them.

Some of the poorest areas of the country voted to remain - places like Brixton. People really like to ignore the fact the leave vote was mostly white, and BAME voters voted strongly to remain.

Didn't the poor + white inner city areas up north mostly vote remain too? I thought it was the old industrial towns on the outskirts like Oldham/St Helens/Bradford that were the ones voting leave

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any good resources for tactical voting by constituency? No idea we're my vote is best served to avoid Cons/Brexit Party.

Probably Labour more likely than LibDem but want to check.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any good resources for tactical voting by constituency? No idea we're my vote is best served to avoid Cons/Brexit Party.

Probably Labour more likely than LibDem but want to check.

If the goal is to purely limit the amount Conservative and BP MEPs, I believe the best tactic in the D'Hondt system is to vote for the party other than them that will get the most votes, which probably be Labour in most regions, or possibly the SNP in Scotland.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
It's non-news, but I can almost taste the passive aggressive eye roll:
The EU has told Britain that it is on a "Brexit break" but officials will meet Theresa May's top Brexit negotiator tomorrow.

A spokesperson said the bloc would only turn its attention to Brexit again "if there is something happening in London", but he said it would listen to the PM's aide Olly Robbins when he visits Brussels on Wednesday.
(source)

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I know.

Polling is kinda all over the fucking place right now.

Sure they can be taken as a slight indication of the UK intention of who to vote, but it's clear polling is in need of a overhaul. Apart from survation the rest are pissing in the wind right now.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The imperialist attitude of sabre rattling needs to stop - the UK rabble rouse with enough gusto that it feeds into the local media. You'd still think Basil Fawlty levels of farce was representative of most of the Brexit supporting parts of the country these days.

It's got nothing to do with sabre rattling. Military strength is an objectively measurable thing. Being a nuclear superpower alone raises the UK into 'superpower' status, regardless of its size.

When it comes to have any leverage in a economic agreement with another party, size IS everything. (of your internal market).
In comparison to the EU, the uk is a dwarf. without passporting and customs union a legless one-armed blind dwarf with a hearth murmur.
This is what matters here, and this is what those people don't get.

Huh? My post was had nothing to do with economic status. It was a direct reply to the quoted military superpower comment.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
That's a jump in the dark if I saw one. "Let's see if the elections will have changed your mind! Also we have no idea how the elections will turn out. Except very bad for all of us".

Not really. It'll follow the European elections, which should see the Brexit party dominate. This vote will be to attempt the rest of the ERG and EU sceptic Labour voters to vote for the deal based upon that poll's aftermath. I don't think the numbers are there, but fuck it she'll try anything, right?

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bets on May (or someone high up) saying something like "we don't need a second referendum, we just had one and people want to leave" within a week of the EU elections

edit: just remembered that is the week Trump is here. What a fucking train wreck.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bets on May (or someone high up) saying something like "we don't need a second referendum, we just had one and people want to leave" within a week of the EU elections

edit: just remembered that is the week Trump is here. What a fucking train wreck.
She's gonna try and get a Trump speech in Party imploring then to pass it so he can approve deal talks.

That'll make them fucking riot

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

June will be the end of May then.

Even if May agreed to everything Labour wanted, the next Tory leader won't consider themselves in any way bound by the deal and will happily toss it out (infact I imagine they'll have to promise to do so to get elected.)

Besides, this bill is going to transcribe the backstop into UK law, so that's going to be amended to hell, and if it somehow survives to getting close to Royal Assent the DUP will pull their support, leaving the Government more open to a new VoNC.

Which given that that's what Corbyn wants more than anything, he won't keep May in power to see Brexit done at the expense of a new election.

Last edited:

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
wow who could have predicted that the labour tory talks would end with nothing. not every broadsheet journalist who
credulously reported that they were on the verge of a breakthrough every other week.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017

f716b9eec295def91a0747cff935c504.gif

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
So the merry go round of madness continues then.

We're going to be diving off a cliff edge again come October aren't we?

Yaaaaaaaaaaay

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm sorry everyone, but I'm now in favour of brexit and wto rules.

I have been against it all this time but a call from Mark has convinced me I was wrong.

9:35 If my link doesn't work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.