• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Very broadly speaking, support for leaving the EU *is* strongest in the lowest income brackets.
This is the only thing that is scary to me if there is the best case scenario of a second ref. If Remain does another London focused, "look at the recovery you would lose" campaign when they need people that never saw any recovery we'll just get a repeat.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
He's not going to win power and deliver a soft Brexit because the Tories will never call for a GE while Brexit remains unresolved. It would be suicide.

There aren't the numbers in parliament for no-deal, second referendum or soft Brexit and those numbers won't change without a GE, but we aren't going to get a GE because of the rise of the Brexit party. We are completely trapped unless a Boris decides to have a second referendum and gets his party onside. It's either that or revoke article 50. We have to assume that Corbyn would still campaign for a soft Brexit in a new referendum so the fuckwit has clearly learned nothing. He's still trying to play 4D chess on a one-dimensional issue.

Well, i take it if he's campaigning for soft brexit then he would have won the election and be in a coalition where the other option is remain, i'm not crossing that bridge or worrying about it until we get there, but there's a difference between his own position and what he will be able to achieve. As for the future of the tories and the government, god knows, it will depend who they choose i suppose.

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
God help the Brexit party if they ever have to provide a manifesto. Their entire appeal is based on offering a collection of vaguely described fantasies. And even with that, they can't win in what should have been an ideal seat for them. Force them to actually have some policies and they'll lose a chunk of those voters and only be good for splitting the Tory vote nationwide.

"We can't release our manifesto yet, as it is under audit, but you'll see it after the election"

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London

Very broadly speaking, support for leaving the EU *is* strongest in the lowest income brackets.

First question I would ask is what bracket do technically lowish income but asset rich (paid off houses and cars) with low expenses retirees come under?

I'm trying to look at the poll data but it's coming up as a mess on my phone.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Source? ONS says £28k was median disposable income in 2018.

I assumed the poll was referring to disposable income (I.e net after income tax), as in my experience that's the stat that's more often used, though I don't know. If it's gross, the gross median is £34k and 60-70% of households have a gross income of less than £40k.
Here's the source for the gross income https://www.statista.com/statistics/813364/average-gross-income-per-household-uk/ (5th decile group=median)

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Good , let the bxp put the foot in the mouth more with an ever increasing voter base. The more bxp turns into a UKIP but with a blue shade instead of purple, the more people will fuck off voting for it and coalesce the other parties. Farage will never entertain this, but he is one of the reasons why they lost.

I guarantee Farage will scream they need more funding, and more fake news shit rather then improving the much needed aspects of his party.
I don't understand this. bXP wouldn't exist without Farange, but somehow they would have done better and won without him?

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
I assumed the poll was referring to disposable income (I.e net after income tax), as in my experience that's the stat that's more often used, though I don't know. If it's gross, the gross median is £34k and 60-70% of households have a gross income of less than £40k.
Here's the source for the gross income https://www.statista.com/statistics/813364/average-gross-income-per-household-uk/ (5th decile group=median)
Huh, ok, thanks for the info. My understanding of what counts as median is probably badly skewed by living in London.

I don't understand this. bXP wouldn't exist without Farange, but somehow they would have done better and won without him?
There's a historical "Farage effect", though I can't remember what it's actually called in the analysis I've read. He's very polarising - his fans love him but the majority of people hate him. He's like Trump in that he has a high floor but a very low ceiling.

So basically BXP is only doing as well it does because of him, his financial backing and his media savvy. But at the same it's not going to do as well as it potentially could because of how he turns off some people who could potentially support BXP otherwise.

This is the only thing that is scary to me if there is the best case scenario of a second ref. If Remain does another London focused, "look at the recovery you would lose" campaign when they need people that never saw any recovery we'll just get a repeat.
I'm sure that a hypothetical new Remain campaign would have a different message targeting those areas, but I think people need to be realistic about this and acknowledge that Leave is fundamentally driven by cultural revanchism, and swathes of the Labour base were never culturally liberal and won't be reconciled to the country changing in ways they don't like. Success of Remain will hinge on mobilizing the sectors of the population that embrace internationalism and the changing face of Britain.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
Telegraph front page.

D8fTTfzWwAEOcr-.jpg:orig

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Funny how we went from easiest deal in history to better deal to Norway deal to single market to May's WA to Canada to No Deal is what we voted for.

I mean WTF. Maybe that was always their end game because it's clear it can't be much else as per that EU slide from yonks ago. It really is just a con by rich opportunists and coat tale hangers on.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Boris has done an interview for the papers which will appear tomorrow....

He is going to withhold the 39billion until they give us a deal we want

Boris Johnson ramped up his campaign to become Britain's next prime minister, vowing to take the country out of the European Union with or without a deal on Oct. 31 and promising to hold onto money owed to the bloc until terms of the divorce become more favorable to the U.K

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Attenborough "Not so much a battle but instinct and power. There the EU waits for the UK to tire, not wasting any energy, as the demise of the UK is inevitable, in the end the EU reigns supreme once again"

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
... When our hand will be much, much weaker?

How dense are these people?

He is just preaching to the choir. Saying whatever people want to hear. Simplistic just like his lying Brexit campaign. Big money number. It will probably work again.

I'm still confused as to what deal they expect to get from the EU, they are quite happy to offer a free trade deal, you just can't have your cake and eat it. We are still at the unsolvable stage because it's bloody stupid to do it any other way.

Funny how we went from easiest deal in history to better deal to Norway deal to single market to May's WA to Canada to No Deal is what we voted for.

I mean WTF. Maybe that was always their end game because it's clear it can't be much else as per that EU slide from yonks ago. It really is just a con by rich opportunists and coat tale hangers on.
There was never an endgame because Leave wasn't supposed to win.

Everything since has been people getting progressively more boxed in as they keep running into reality but refuse to accept responsibility.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Christ he's so fucking stupid. Like that's the only toy in the fight they have (the eu) they can really fuck with us for much more than 39 billion €

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Brexit continues to be a complete shit-show. The lack of responsibility taken for the repercussions of leaving the EU is despicable and shameful.

Oct 28, 2017
Every Tory leadership candidate is coming up with more insane incendiary shite to dElIvEr bReXiT!!!! than the next, and its worrying. Raab saying he'd happily shut down parliament until the exit date is fucking mental. I guess the country doesn't have any other important business to handle in the meantime?

Then there's Boris imagining that he's got a can of petrol and a match ready to go to a pile of money, and that the EU will even care. Fucking hell.

All this while the Brexit party continue to rise in national polls and the other parties look to only be scrounging enough votes to possibly make a coalition possible to prevent them taking the top seat. Can you imagine the devastation if Farage has to put together a functioning government? We really will be a banana republic then.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
That is stupid Boris, the bill is expressed in euro so it is a lot more than 39 billion pounds by now thanks to the failing pound.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not even just that, we've probably lost way more than 350 million a week since this farce started. Ultimately it looks like a big number but grand scheme of things and what you get out of it, not a big deal but a lot of people can't see past it, this government would probably splurge 39 billion on some London centric vanity project than anything worthwhile. That railway for instance. On the other yeah, I would rather useless bastard MEPs like Farage etc didn't get euro for doing sod all and other waste I'm sure there is in the EU.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
BoJo back at it, I'm sure the EU are breaking sweats over 39 billion spread over 40 years

If May couldn't do the "divide and conquer" approach with the EU, I'm not sure what makes this clown think he can

Oct 28, 2017
BoJo back at it, I'm sure the EU are breaking sweats over 39 billion spread over 40 years

If May couldn't do the "divide and conquer" approach with the EU, I'm not sure what makes this clown think he can

Just the next crackpot Roman emperor who thinks he can subjugate everyone under his rule, without realising the empire is fading.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
There's a good chance Merkel won't even be in office anymore by october 31st so even if she had this there's not much she can do anymore.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Merkel said if you take the right approach we can renegotiate, right approach could mean anything to anybody.
It seems pretty worthless and why Hunt thinks he can achieve something.

Status
Not open for further replies.