• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone paints the Lib Dems as ideological sellouts that betrayed everyone. So they compromised on a couple of manifesto things as part of the coalition - isn't that how they work?

Frankly I'd take them in a heartbeat over either of the other two main parties right now if they're able to prevent Brexit. Whatever damage they may have contributed to in the past is small beans in comparison to the good they could do. They could sit on their hands after that for 5 years and it'd be less damaging than brexit

what a take

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Another classic tweet:

KzaV3TFl.jpg

Haha, a great deal

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
God I'm in tears on the train laughing at that Joe video 😂

They really are doing a fantastic public service with their videos, getting better all the time.

Oct 25, 2017
I always considered myself a centre-bloke... However it turns out on the political compass I'm way more left wing than a majority of my friends - it's pretty interesting.

I'd like to do the kind of test they did to see if it gives me a similar answer.

Edit: Political Compass done again.

When I last did the political compass test about 5+ years ago I always ended up around -4,-2, so centre left. Which is how I've described myself. Just done the latest incarnation of the test and I'm sitting in the centre of the left-libertarian segment. Interesting to see.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
That's not a take, see what I mean about being a dick unnecessarily just because someone doesn't agree with you about the lib dems?

Being snarky isn't going to bring them over to your side.

It's not a market where you try to entice people to come try your wares, that's why loads of people like me find it incredible that there are still defenders of the Lib Dems, let alone the concept that there's some kind of equivalence in pushing through carrier bag policy versus benefit sanctions. It's a meme at this point because they keep tripping over this shit over and over again.

I don't need to try and win someone over who thinks that it doesn't matter what a party does if they cancel Brexit, because that kind of political galaxy brain is how you end up with New Labour and TINA.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I was just reading this article onto WSJ about the UK and couldn't help but chuckle, thinking that "planned" is such a grandiose word for what is going on in the UK right now.
LONDON—The resignation this week of Britain's ambassador to Washington under duress has set off a period of self-examination in the U.K. as the nation struggles to find its place in the world ahead of its planned European Union exit.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't need to try and win someone over who thinks that it doesn't matter what a party does if they cancel Brexit, because that kind of political galaxy brain is how you end up with New Labour and TINA.
So a party that can win an election? Where's the galaxy brain of being so pro Labour you never want them to be able to win?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
There's early New Labour and then there's what it became once it got into power, it did a lot of good but also a lot of bad in the end, reform and progressive are words that became toxic and a hammer to bring the market into everything.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Ah well, at least her political career should be toast if it all goes tits up under a no deal scenario, she should just become a backbencher for a while and see what happens.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
Also, Grant Schapps, who always comes across as a detestable arsehole, will get a new front bench job cos he made a nice spreadsheet! Such talents!

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is very worrying:

Let the great "Centrist Blairite Purge" begin! Lets ignore issues on Anti Semitism and blame it on those pesky Blairites that definitely still exist so we can deselect the people criticising us!

This will definitely go well, like how many Tories are capitulating to the ERG to avoid deselection. It'll probably be fine though, all this worry about nothing, I mean Dominic Grieve is still an MP....

Oh....

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
This is very worrying:

Let the great "Centrist Blairite Purge" begin! Lets ignore issues on Anti Semitism and blame it on those pesky Blairites that definitely still exist so we can deselect the people criticising us!

This will definitely go well, like how many Tories are capitulating to the ERG to avoid deselection. It'll probably be fine though, all this worry about nothing, I mean Dominic Grieve is still an MP....

Oh....

Yeah, this is gonna be a shit-show.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what's wrong with that? would you rather local affiliates get stuck with people they don't want want any more like Kate Hoey?

If a sitting MP is challenged then it's up to them to fight for their seat against someone else. Nobody has the automatic right to be an MP.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Kate Hoey is the posterchild for such a change. That Vauxhall had to wait for her to decide she wasn't gonna run again is nuts.

Note that Kate wasn't deselected because of the NEC, which is dominated by Corbyn allies. Her local constituency have already done everything necessary to deselect her, but for some reason the NEC refused to grapple with it.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I would love to deselect my MP - would be very happy if they could get in someone else

He is one of the main Labour MPs who keep siding with the Tories on Brexit (Graham Stringer), so would imagine Momentum would be targeting him as one of those to get rid of too

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
A little bit of competition is good for them, they must reform and not stick to old fashioned out of date ideas.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how the Andrew Neil interviews will go tonight with Hunt and Boris. They talk complete BS so interesting to see how they steer through that.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to deselect my MP - would be very happy if they could get in someone else

He is one of the main Labour MPs who keep siding with the Tories on Brexit (Graham Stringer), so would imagine Momentum would be targeting him as one of those to get rid of too

He's being protected by the NEC same as Hoey was.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what's wrong with that? would you rather local affiliates get stuck with people they don't want want any more like Kate Hoey?

If a sitting MP is challenged then it's up to them to fight for their seat against someone else. Nobody has the automatic right to be an MP.

A little bit of competition is good for them, they must reform and not stick to old fashioned out of date ideas.

Is it not better to just make sure the selection process is more representative of the party membership (including the parts you don't like) rather than ramping up deselection powers?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is it not better to just make sure the selection process is more representative of the party membership (including the parts you don't like) rather than ramping up deselection powers?

They should up their game and recruit more like-minded members to support them, nobody should get a free ride in the market place of politics.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surely it's up to the local branches to decide who best represents them. If you've got an MP who doesn't vote the way you want or is openly saying they don't want a Labour government then why should they be forced to continue to fund and work with them?

The NEC is there to make sure they don't appoint a total muppet but for the most part it should be an open selection process and then those people are sent to represent the constituency in parliament. At the end of the day it's not some hard left plot and you only need 1/3 to start a trigger ballot. A sitting MP could easily win in those circumstances if the majority still want them. also...

They should up their game and recruit more like-minded members to support them, nobody should get a free ride in the market place of politics.

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone paints the Lib Dems as ideological sellouts that betrayed everyone. So they compromised on a couple of manifesto things as part of the coalition - isn't that how they work?

Frankly I'd take them in a heartbeat over either of the other two main parties right now if they're able to prevent Brexit. Whatever damage they may have contributed to in the past is small beans in comparison to the good they could do. They could sit on their hands after that for 5 years and it'd be less damaging than brexit
Yeah, that's obviously untrue as it assumes the Lib Dems have an ideology to sell out.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
He's being protected by the NEC same as Hoey was.

Which sitting MPs have not been "protected" by the NEC? That is a totally bogus accusation. The NEC adopted rules that made deselection easier, reducing the threshold to trigger a ballot.

Having MPs more accountable to the party membership seems like a good thing.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The two MPs who have been formerly deselected, having gone through the entire long, laborious process, are Hoey and Stringer. They are the only ones, and the NEC has refused to address those cases despite the local parties demanding action literally for months.

Labour deselecting MPs is very rare because its so hard compared to the tory party systems. There was no reason for the NEC to sit on those cases like they did, all they achieved was massive depression in the local parties. they didnt even keep the MPs on side for votes in the commons!

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
That tweet might as well read

"Amber Rudd loses seat at next general election"

Her seat was 56% remain and she has a majority of 300

Yeah
She's making a big mistake, should stick to her view about brexit, because going along with and being involved in a massive disaster like Brexit could be is going to finish her. That's not even thinking about the lunacy of Truss being in charge of the economy at the same time.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
This is very worrying:

Oh....

Give me a good reason not to introduce a mandatory reselection process for all MPs.

Why should an MP get to remain a candidate by default?

Status
Not open for further replies.