• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
BJ: Paragraph 5B. Article 24. Get the detail right. Get the detail right, Andrew. It's Article 24 paragraph 5B.

AN: And how would you handle paragraph 5C?

BJ: I would confide entirely in paragraph 5B, because that is

AN: How would you get round what's in 5C?

BJ: I would confide entirely in paragraph 5B which is enough forour purposes.

AN: Do you know what's in 5C?

BJ: No.

AN: I thought you were a man of detail.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I must have missed this new spirit of determination across the EU, I thought they had got bored of us and moved on to other stuff while the tories install Boris.

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
Just baffling how anyone can think borris is the answer. he clearly has no substance and will be well out of his depth as pm.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
Hi everyone. I know a guy who is seriously considering leaving his job soon due to being unhappy there. He works as a software engineer and looking to work for a similar sized company in London. He is wondering whether it is safe to change jobs before no deal or whether it's safer to stick to his current job and wait for the dust to settle (if ever) before changing. Given software industry probably wont be hugely affected by the econonic impact of no deal compared to other industries, I told him it didn't matter either way, but not 100% sure. Any advice for him would be great, thanks.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
BJ: Paragraph 5B. Article 24. Get the detail right. Get the detail right, Andrew. It's Article 24 paragraph 5B.

The follow up makes it even worse:

BJ: There's enough in paragraph 5B to get us the agreement that
we want.

AN: No. 5C says you don't just need the EU's approval; you need
to agree with the EU the shape of a future trade agreement –

BJ: Yes.

AN: And a timetable to getting towards it. Now can I just point
out –

BJ: But why should that – can I ask you –

AN: Okay, I'll tell you why.

BJ: Why, why this defeatism? Why this negativity?

Pointing out basic facts is defeatism.

Oct 28, 2017
Hi everyone. I know a guy who is seriously considering leaving his job soon due to being unhappy there. He works as a software engineer and looking to work for a similar sized company in London. He is wondering whether it is safe to change jobs before no deal or whether it's safer to stick to his current job and wait for the dust to settle (if ever) before changing. Given software industry probably wont be hugely affected by the econonic impact of no deal compared to other industries, I told him it didn't matter either way, but not 100% sure. Any advice for him would be great, thanks.

Its an extremely "nobody knows" situation at this point.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Services would be the worst hit.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
What am I supposed to tell him? Just wait for no deal to happen before making a move?

Fwiw, I just hired a software developer and it was really hard because there are not enough people to fill developer jobs, so many positions are filled as contract posts for a significant bump in salary over hiring someone permanently. So, even given the uncertainty, I'd say there shouldn't be a lack of job opportunities. The best practical thing he could do is get on LinkedIn and contact a bunch of recruiters who can give him a bunch of leads on jobs and introductions in any eventuality.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Fwiw, I just hired a software developer and it was really hard because there are not enough people to fill developer jobs, so many positions are filled as contract posts for a significant bump in salary over hiring someone permanently. So, even given the uncertainty, I'd say there shouldn't be a lack of job opportunities. The best practical thing he could do is get on LinkedIn and contact a bunch of recruiters who can give him a bunch of leads on jobs and introductions in any eventuality.

This is my experience too, I am in the process of switching to a new position at the moment, the tech job market is the best I've seen it for employees in the last decade, probably because nobody wants to switch. Never in my life did I have so many interviews lined up in such a short space of time.

FWIW, I was fed up of leaving my life in limbo ever since 2016 so I decided to just ignore Brexit. It's all you can do, really.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

/Screams

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's basically think good thoughts and be postive will solve everything. My god. That's all Boris has got.

Hunt is just as much a liar and fantasist but at least knows and says it will be bad in some way but doesn't care anyway, the prick.

Quite amazing that lying and BS is a-okay because Brexit must be delivered in whatever shit form a few arseholes want and far too many people are cool with that. What a shitshow.

Isn't enough face palms in the world.

Oct 26, 2017
How likely is it that a GE is forced in September? Government still have a majority of one seat I think, ignoring Sinn Fein's seats.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

you just assume the minimum requirement for working at a think tank is a brain but here we are

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's the Henry Jackson society again, what the fuck is going on, they are the new Tax payers alliance on steroids for global level politics, but with some dodgy labour party mp's involvement on top.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
What are they going to threaten us with? We have the backing of 26 countries. A response to any threats won't come from us, it'll come from the EU itself.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I caught what he said when I watched it and thought to myself, did he really just say that and the panel didn't react at all. Bizarre.

They had a comedian on who was quite good. That same guy got asked about job losses with no deal and the comedian, not in a funny way but politely and concisely destroyed his lackadaisical attitude and generally many others to job losses, what if it was your family, your friend who has kids, already struggling etc just shrug your shoulders, it will be alright, that's you and many others attitude.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
QUOTE="Beefy, post: 22722599, member: 835"]

Damn
[/QUOTE]

If Watson better spent his time trying to actually influence the leaders office rather then going up against it in such a naked fashion he wouldn't be such a polarising figure. I'm glad he does hold the leadership to task, but nothing I read of him suggests he does so for the greater good of the party, rather his own agendas. Subetly isn't his strong point.

Sometimes he does mean well, but his slippery fish politicking just puts me right off.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

you just assume the minimum requirement for working at a think tank is a brain but here we are

It's not just that, when my wife (who's Irish) saw it, the first think she thought of was this

They think that they have pacified Ireland. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think that they have foreseen everything, think that they have provided against everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! - they have left us our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace.

which is one of the most famous rallying calls of Irish independence and taught in every Irish school. I mean you couldn't have tweaked a larger cultural lodestone if you'd tried.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The language some english morons use to talk about a country that's been wholly independent for close to 100 years is absolutely disgraceful.

The general distrust, dislike, fearmongering and invoking nazi-comparisons against modern day Germany by the english nationalists leave me completely cold but there is something about the utter entitlement and gall to treat an independent country like a vassal state which can be bribed or threatened into submission that absolutely grinds my gears.

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is she still in the job? If that's the case whether she has cancer or not is really immaterial to her performance and the scrutiny of it. That sounds harsh, but you don't let pilots, doctors or lawyers away with malpractice just because they're sick.

I don't see the connection to be honest, Watson seems to be fucking about and putting on a show.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It's not just that, when my wife (who's Irish) saw it, the first think she thought of was this

which is one of the most famous rallying calls of Irish independence and taught in every Irish school. I mean you couldn't have tweaked a larger cultural lodestone if you'd tried.
Seriously.

And then you have the questions like bribe them with what? Whatever scraps the UK is left with after leaving fucks over the economy and jobs market?

Bribe or threaten. Their best bet is to grovel at Eire's feet.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Great, more flag waving bullshit. What's different about the team this time that let England get their first World Cup? I mean Brexit is in play so that must be it, right?

Oh....

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017

Great, more flag waving bullshit. What's different about the team this time that let England get their first World Cup? I mean Brexit is in play so that must be it, right?

Oh....

I read the beginning of the article and I'm feeling lost. Who did what on the what with the what now?

But I think I have more of a clue about Cricket then the BP lunatics have about Brexit, as demonstrated in the video above 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.