• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Nigel Farage going in hard on CON voters, and Swinson destroying LD credibility seems like a good thing.

It is, just a shame the lib dems are doing this. A better result would be the lib dems maintaining credibility so they can kick out as many Tories as possible.
https://amp.theguardian.com/politic...&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

It begins, much quicker then I had expected. This is almost totally at the cost of conservatives.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Looking forward to the debate drinking game, not the debate itself that will be fucking terrible and nobody will learn anything about anything.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
So we officially have our new Mr. Speaker - from my neck of the woods no less. Nice exit from him there to adjourn.

I'm sure this Parliament being dissolved on Guy Fawkes Night doesn't lend itself to any ominous undertones.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Wow ok.

370 in mere days is fucking impressive no matter how you cut it, and it's not even campaign mode yet. This is full time, take off work campaigning.

Feet firmly on ground, but the way labour has bolted right out of the gate is very, very encouraging for their chances. I think the media at large has underestimated just how hungry the labour machine was for this.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wow ok.

370 in mere days is fucking impressive no matter how you cut it, and it's not even campaign mode yet. This is full time, take off work campaigning.

Feet firmly on ground, but the way labour has bolted right out of the gate is very encouraging their chances. I think the media at large has underestimated just how hungry the labour machine was for this.

Yeah I think, barring something catastrophic happening, we might end up with another performance that surprises everyone. Already moving up in the polls, grass roots ready and bigger than ever, Libs fucking up, brexit party crashing the tories plans.

What result we get who knows, and of course maybe the exact opposite happens but I'm starting to feel more confident (as much as the shitty Country allows of course).

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Labour turning (back?) into a mass movement under Corbyn has been absolutely great for getting boots on the ground. Shame a lot of the PLP treat the membership as a nuisance and their CLP as employees.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I still don't understand how the hell people take "Our policy is to revoke Article 50 immediately" and somehow twist that to "The Lib Dems don't actually want to stop Brexit they want it to happen"

I don't know how they could be any more explicitly remain.
For all the things you can say about the Lib Dems, "They actually want Brexit" sure as hell isn't one of them.
And that somehow means "The Lib Dems are secretly Pro-Brexit and want it to happen" ?

It's funny reading these after all the Lib Dem "Labour are a pro-leave party" and "Corbyn is a secret brexiteer" takes over the past year or two

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
It's funny reading these after all the Lib Dem "Labour are a pro-leave party" and "Corbyn is a secret brexiteer" takes over the past year or two
Well Corbyn can't be accused of being a secret Brexiteer I'll agree with you there.

Open Brexiteer for thirty years yes, but not secret Brexiteer.

And "Honouring the Referendum and leaving the EU" was literally Labour policy for quite some time.

Streamlined

alt account
Banned
Sep 16, 2019
Corbyn is such an open brexiteer than in those 30 years there isn't a single recorded instance of him prior to the referendum result saying "the U.K. should leave the EU". And no - being against joining or strengthening ties are not the same as wanting to sever those ties once they are made.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how the hell people take "Our policy is to revoke Article 50 immediately" and somehow twist that to "The Lib Dems don't actually want to stop Brexit they want it to happen"

I don't know how they could be any more explicitly remain.
For all the things you can say about the Lib Dems, "They actually want Brexit" sure as hell isn't one of them.
Well Corbyn can't be accused of being a secret Brexiteer I'll agree with you there.

And "Honouring the Referendum and leaving the EU" was literally Labour policy for quite some time.

Amazing.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

I've uncovered shocking evidence that Jo Swinson is in fact a secret Brexiteer!!!!

Z3M2R8E.jpg

🙄

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Have you not being paying attetion the last few pages?
They are continuously undermining viable remainer labour candidates in seats where it could be a tight race between tories and labor.
They seem to be exclusively punching left as opposed to attaching the party that got us into this mess and has been in power for what feels like decades.

Of course they are - they are going after Tory voters.

It's seems totally bizarre to me that people (a) moan that the LibDems are chasing Tory votes and (b) moan that they are running in Lab/Tory marginals. If anything this should go to reduce the Tory vote and make things easier for Labour, but no, gotta moan about something.

EDIT: well, that'll teach me to read the whole thread first.

Last edited:

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread feels more tense amongst posters than usual.

Remember, we all broadly agree about the same things.

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
So, latest update on that Best for Britain tactical voting site:

Rather than admit that there was something weird going on with their Northern Ireland recommendations, they stealth edited the website and then accused the person who reported it of lying.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It's strange Labour need the Lib Dems to be reasonably strong in the South West of England some of the extra suburban areas of London, so they don't really want the Lib Dems to implode. The Lib Dems on 8% is a net negative for Labour, but the Lib Dems on say 12% is probably a net gain for Labour.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it reasonable to say that if Gove accuses Corbyn of saying something as wrong, Corbyn is generally right in the end?
Gove was going in hard, Corbyn is Russian sympathizer, Boris was the only reason the Skripal attack was taken to task, Corbyn wanted to let Russia off the hook, Boris is a premiership striker, Corbyn is a non league player.

It was bizarre.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Good thread on the Brexit Party's idea that they'll do more damage to Labour:

Good thread. This is a really common error in probability that is hard to spot because we don't intuitively combine frequencies and probabilities well.

It's a less-extreme version of the "breast cancer screening" problem. A cancer screen could have a 1% false positive error rate, but a screen of the general population will result in mostly incorrect diagnoses, because >99% of the people being screened are healthy.
So with this information, imagine you receive a positive diagnosis from cancer screen. Should you be scared because the test correctly identifies cancer in 99% of cases or relatively relaxed because you think you understand Bayesian probabilities?

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

2010 was also the absolute height of fretting about the deficit, yet I'm not so sure we had front pages panicking like this...

Hopefully people actually look at the numbers before poo-pooing a four day week out of hand because of "blah blah lazy bastards blah blah I work six days a week, 5am until 2am, rise and grind, blah blah" warped protestant work ethic, entrepreneurial worship of self-sacrifice, self-made/bootstraps brainwashing.

If you follow that train of logic to its absolute extreme, imagine how much money the country would save if we moved to a six day week! Of course, any party who tried that would be fucking crucified for halving your weekend (well, maybe not if the papers tried hard enough to convince the proles otherwise).

The five day work week isn't some magic sweet spot proven by science after all. The weekend as we know it has only existed for... what, 100 years? People have been predicting for a long time the way we address work/life balance is set to change. The four day week could be the next jump.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Thought Corbyn's Brexit speech / Q&A was alright.

I'll never get bored of people "forgetting" Trump was the man who said healthcare would be on the table. Dispatches really came through at the right time, too.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Thought Corbyn's Brexit speech / Q&A was alright.

I'll never get bored of people "forgetting" Trump was the man who said healthcare would be on the table. Dispatches really came through at the right time, too.

Trump himself forgot he said it first and blamed Corbs for saying it first. Even Farage couldn't deny that but did excuse it as Trump not knowing what the NHS was. So either he knew and meant it (bad) or is dumb and signs up to anything (also bad, but more bad for Americans than us).

Status
Not open for further replies.