• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True, but most of the failing by the general public to understand Labour's position on Brexit has been the result of an intentional campaign by the media to distort and obfuscate their position. Labour will only win at this game by continuing to improve their campaign tactics in the run-up to the election (which so far has been fantastic imo)

Agreed, but O'Brien has been one of the media types who seemed to be deliberately misunderstanding Labour's position in the past, so I was surprised to see him say this. Obviously the right wing media isn't going to change it's tune, but hopefully more centrists will start giving Corbyn a fair shake.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
I await this weeks QT when Fiona Bruce asks the labour rep to explain their Brexit position because she doesn't understand it...

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
Was really surprised to see James say that considering he hates corbyn these days.

yeah genuine fair play to james for that, i'm not expecting him to go out to bat for corbyn but a fair acknowledgment from the remain establishment that their goals can only be met by a huge share of remainers voting labour is very welcome, especially as it isn't what a lot of his listeners want to hear

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I await this weeks QT when Fiona Bruce asks the labour rep to explain their Brexit position because she doesn't understand it...
I have to say it was refreshing seeing Politics Live earlier to see Jo Coburn say "It isn't confusing, we do know what the policy is" when Ed Davey was pretending to not get it. Maybe now the media have to be more impartial in their coverage due to the election other hosts and commentators will suddenly get it too.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Today, so far, has been shockingly bad for the Tories. We had Grenfell victims belittled and instead of apologising we see members of the Tory party doing the exact opposite. We have seen a rape trial collapse because of the Welsh secretary being a twat. The russia story refusing to go away as well.
Not even May's GE campaign actually managed to smear dead people and have a rape trial collapse.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Today, so far, has been shockingly bad for the Tories. We had Grenfell victims belittled and instead of apologising we see members of the Tory party doing the exact opposite. We have seen a rape trial collapse because of the Welsh secretary being a twat. The russia story refusing to go away as well.
Not even May's GE campaign actually managed to smear dead people and have a rape trial collapse.
Don't forget they got caught doctoring an interview with Starmer and then pretended they didn't.

Streamlined

alt account
Banned
Sep 16, 2019
Remember when Emily Thornberry resigned because she tweeted a photo of a house with England flags and a white van?

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
If Mogg is making a couple more appearances like this Labour doesn't even have to campaign too much.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
if the tories have a couple more days like today the "why is the tory campaign so bad" story becomes the story once again like after the dementia tax in 2017. every gaffe then gets magnified further as it supports the narrative

Oct 25, 2017

I'm just worried that this doesn't move the needle, entrenchment and all that. But who knows, maybe some blues will have some self respect and just stay home rather than supporting this shit show of a government.

if the tories have a couple more days like today the "why is the tory campaign so bad" story becomes the story once again like after the dementia tax in 2017. every gaffe then gets magnified further as it supports the narrative

Crossing my fingers. Interviewers better hammer home that Boris' deal is a walk back on his own word and watch the fucker squirm.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
If Mogg is making a couple more appearances like this Labour doesn't even have to campaign too much.

"He just says it like it is, he does. That Jacob Rees bloke is really in touch with the average man - not like that Corbyn bloke who's going to nationalise everyone's dogs"

Probably a real quote somewhere

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
the centrist party becoming the biggest exponents of fake news is a good plot twist

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017

👀👀

That's a lot of people, I think we now have to factor momentum into how the election can swing in labors favour. This isn't just a group of people in a few locations, its fucking gigantic swarms of people up and down the country on a daily basis.

Everything, everything points to a movement much bigger then even 2017. There are tweets that show a good 2-3x times people helping campaign for labour.

So,so, so many young people too.

Last edited:

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Ugh, I sincerely hope that Labour wins, like nothing else. The UK is running out of chances. We are gonna experience a catastrophe after a decade of gradual shittiness if the Tories win again.

It's honestly life or death. I'm scared as hell but also excited. What pains me is that Tory supporters and diehards will be fine and content either way, whereas it's the whole world to the rest of us if Labour doesn't succeed.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Ugh, I sincerely hope that Labour wins, like nothing else. The UK is running out of chances. We are gonna experience a catastrophe after a decade of gradual shittiness if the Tories win again.

It's honestly life or death. I'm scared as hell but also excited. What pains me is that Tory supporters and diehards will be fine and content either way, whereas it's the whole world to the rest of us if Labour doesn't succeed.

one of my colleagues said the other day, and I thought whilst mis-guided he had a fair point

if Labour get in and bring in their policies, when the Tories get back in we are going to get austerity that will make the last 10 years look like child's play

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
wow lib dems losing the plot and sinking fast.

If the election is fought on issues other than Brexit than I would think it looks good for Labour (i.e., Tories far from a majority). Flu season is gonna hammer the Tories as well.

Then comes the issue of whether or not Labour + SNP can form a government.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one of my colleagues said the other day, and I thought whilst mis-guided he had a fair point

if Labour get in and bring in their policies, when the Tories get back in we are going to get austerity that will make the last 10 years look like child's play

Misguided but a fair point.
Okay mate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
With Parliament dissolving in two hours time, the UK General Election OT is ready to go. Title suggestions will be appreciated. :D

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

'Austerity' is too generous a term. Unjust Suffering is more like it. Austerity implies an end goal of improving an aspect of society in the long run.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
With Parliament dissolving in two hours time, the UK General Election OT is ready to go. Title suggestions will be appreciated. :D
Can't remember who suggested them but I liked those along the lines of "Dreaming of a Red Christmas" or "The Hunt for Red December". Ditch Boris is also good.

I'd be also happy to see a play on the Lib Dems "...can't win here" charts but can't think of anything myself. Or these:
OT | Tactical Espionage Voting Action
UK General Election OT - Here we... Here we... Here we fucking go!!!

Streamlined

alt account
Banned
Sep 16, 2019

Why would you think this is a "fair point"? Or is this just more of your trademark Labour concern trolling?

Ando

Apr 21, 2018

why would that be the case. austerity was so effective at undoing the redistributive agenda of the last labour government because it was a message that seized on the horrible conditions of the biggest global economic crash since the great depression and losses to jobs and GDP unprecedented to every uk voter

before the crash you had george osborne promising to match gordon brown's spending commitments

in normal economic and political conditions post a successful labour government it could just as easily work like churchill and macmillan largely maintaining atlee's reforms in the 1950s. a lot of them will be very popular once you get beyond the tory-lib dem scaremongering about corbyn nationalising your mum and they start to impact people's lives.

Last edited:

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017

1. If Tories get in again there won't be a country for them to get back into in the future.
2. When the fuck did Tories need a reason to destroy the poor.

Streamlined

alt account
Banned
Sep 16, 2019
Also one of the fundamental issues with the last Labour government was not doing enough to ensure that a Tory government couldn't come in and fuck things up. Inequality grew massively under new Labour.

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
I was skeptical at first but this really is looking like it could be a rerun of 2017 for the Tories lol

Status
Not open for further replies.