• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Brexit is likely to have cost the UK more than £200 billion in lost economic growth by the end of this year — a figure that almost eclipses the total amount the UK has paid toward the European Union budget over the past 47 years.

According to research by Bloomberg Economics, the cost of the UK's vote to leave has already reached £130 billion, with a further £70 billion likely to be added by the end of 2020.

The analysis, by the economist Dan Hanson, found that business uncertainty had caused the UK's economic growth to lag behind that of other G7 countries since the 2016 vote.

That means the British economy is 3% smaller than it might have been if the UK had not voted to leave the EU.

Figures from the House of Commons Library put the UK's total projected contribution to the EU budget from 1973 to 2020 at £215 billion after adjusting for inflation.

Are things still looking pretty good?

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
97587836-vote-leave-news_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqhrecUkOQ_RJUhfW_x_ESH6W0-DPWq8x8IQytlg7pAmE.jpg

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but they'll be able to turn around and invest that -200 billion into the NHS.

_99609613_8e5e3cfe-4bfe-407a-85d8-4f9526cb0670.jpg

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
chopping off your toe while you throw the rest of yourself into the furnace. fucking amazing what propaganda can do

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
This is just the cost right now. Companies have already relocated out of the UK. HUndreds of billions more lost in future business.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely stupid own goal and anyone who's ever advocated for euroscepticism and/or against multiculturalism should be put on blast for the rest of their careers.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Similar to the spirit of the Statue of Liberty, Harry and Meghan are also moving to a place where dreams still come true.

But seriously, how can the British people still not reconcile that the criminals behind Brexit are basically crashing the UK, to basically massively buy out on the cheap when everything goes to hell. And not giving a shit how much this will destroy the lives of innocent and hardworking people.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
They don't care. These dumbfucks want Big Ben to ring out at midnight on Brexit day even after told to do so would cost £500,000+ and set the repairs back months.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So when the US is up in growth its a useless metric because its not measuring the average person and just reflecting how stock traders and business owners are taking all the wealth.

When the growth in Britain is down, its a great metric of how much Brexit is impacting the people in the country. I got this right?

Id rather focus on more usable, close to the people metrics than "growth" and "unemployment"

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So when the US is up in growth its a useless metric because its not measuring the average person and just reflecting how stock traders and business owners are taking all the wealth.

When the growth in Britain is down, its a great metric of how much Brexit is impacting the people in the country. I got this right?

Id rather focus on more usable, close to the people metrics than "growth" and "unemployment"
TBF i think looking at GBP value is good enough to see how much you lost. I'm portuguese, before brexit, buying from the UK was similar to France and Germany. Now? It's cheaper to buy from the Uk then buy from Portugal! its absolutely bunkers. I have been getting games for like 40% discount at launch; i got a few PC components for cheap too! Unfortunately phones are still expensive because if they had such big discounts i would have bought a super high end phone.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
That's a bit of a dumb comparison, economic growth doesn't translate at all to "havig those funds to spend", but the idea is right so yeah go for it. People that voted leave arent smart to know the difference either way, anything that helps them realize their mistake sounds good to me.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
While economic growth is not exactly comparable to spend, it doesn't matter. The majority of people in this country are too fucking stupid to understand either and think it's a household budget.

Oct 27, 2017
The uncertainty was always a huge problem. Whilst MPs bickered and fought and schemed and generally made a right royal fuck up of everything no one had a clue what was going on, could make no predictions as to what might happen and thus couldn't plan appropriately. Obviously business and growth was going to stagnate as everyone sat on their hands.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Well, whoopsy fucking daisy. Nobody could have seen this coming. Literally nobody!
But judging by election results, a lot of people seem to love self-flagellation austerity anyway.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Extremely stupid own goal and anyone who's ever advocated for euroscepticism and/or against multiculturalism should be put on blast for the rest of their careers.
Instructions unclear, idiot fuckers constantly paid to go on tv and blast their opinions into your eyes and ears for the rest of their careers.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
In the realm of abstracted costs, opportunity always loses to sunk, I reckon. It's not simple but the basic point is relatively so, yet it's not electorally/referendumally (that is now a word) easy to ram home.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So frustrating. They lost all the arguments so they had to resort to claiming that this was their position. Yet they still won.

If all those things do end up happening I'm sure they'll take the resulting poverty on the chin and won't look for other people to blame in an angry and stupid manner.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't even include the stupid quantities of money people will donate to make a massive bellend ring

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Gonna steal a few pallets to get a start on fortifying my flat. Already got an old tyre to cut up for pauldrons, not sure if I want to go with spikes on it or not. Rounding it out with a couple of ikea knives.

I'm thinking a fairly basic ahahaha-style laugh but trailing off into coughing. Gotta have your custom laugh to make Brexit a proper soulslike.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
General Public "So if we never joined, we would have had £200 billion to spend on ourselves!!!!!"

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Baby boomers for you. They seem determined to fuck up countries before they die. I wonder how much of a cost Trump presidency will do once he leaves office.