• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've specifically read that peoples' saves automatically redownload after repair. The letter they sent him says the issue he was having prevented them from being able to do this.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
RI fucking P. I can't imagine just how many hours in BOTW and any other huge game he lost... that would hurt my heart to the maximum.

waffleman

Oct 27, 2017
If not cloud saves then at least implement save transfers from system storage into microSD.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's incredible slacking behind industry standards claims another victim

Oct 25, 2017
Rome, GA
Dang, I feel for Mr. Altano. That hurts my feelings just thinking about it.

Hope he keeps us updated on NVC - it can only help that someone of his prominence speaking up about this crap might possibly help nudge Nintendo into at least making some kind of statement or promises for future solutions.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
Am I mistaken or if it's a situation like this and the system turns on, can you transfer your profile + save data to another Switch then transfer it back once you get your system returned from Nintendo?

Oct 27, 2017
I love Nintendo but it's weird how in 2018 is still a lottery in terms of what modern features we get from them

Friend codes, no cloud saves, ugh.

My Wii died and lost all its saves three years after launch. I never really recovered from that and skipped a ton of games because I was so angry I lost my saves

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
kind of glad it happened to someone at a place like IGN

hopefully a lot of noise is made about this and Nintendo, you know, IMPLEMENTS FUCKING CLOUD SAVES

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure I'm an outlier here, but tbh this wouldn't bother me for any game other than the one(s) I had been currently playing. I'm done with Zelda and Mario, so if those saves got erased I'd probably be like "ah well" and move on pretty fast to a different game.

If anything it's a kick in the pants reason to play them again lol. What good is keeping a save file around of a game that you've completed? Especially to the degree that he probably had? It's like whenever I go back and play Animal Crossing Gamecube (get the urge a couple times a year). I never re-load an old town and pick out all the weeds, first thing I do is erase the save and start again. Same thing I'd do if I wanted to go back to Breath of the Wild. Why would I go back to a completed game? What would there be to do?

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo's incredible slacking behind industry standards claims another victim
We're forging our own path! To hell with your "industry standards"! No matter how convenient and common sense they may be!

After all if there were cloud saves and online service Nintendo clearly would have been unable to innovate on the hardware front...for some reason

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
he should have moved his saves to one of the IGN office systems before sending it in, but yea they need to fix this quick.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud saves? They're online service isn't even out yet. We will get cloud saves by 2020

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've specifically read that peoples' saves automatically redownload after repair. The letter they sent him says the issue he was having prevented them from being able to do this.
It's not the saves that are redownlodable, it's the (digital) games that come in an archived state with the little cloud symbol to be redownloaded. The saves thing was just a conclusion people jumped to... in reality, they come already in your replacement system's memory. If the original system's memory was possible to read, which in the case of this guy it wasn't.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I lost my saves twice because of this shit, only during the 3rd repair they still could save them. The missing option to put saves on the microSD or on a cloud is ridiculous.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
What would Brian Altano do
If he needed his Switch repaired
He'd lose his saves and settings too
That's what Brian Altano'd do

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
That's not true. For some repairs saves just remain in the console and games get deleted (thus the re-download part).

The Switch doesn't have any mechanism to recover or download saves.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah they really really need to fix this before it happens to more people with social media followings.

If it happens to Christine Teigen or something they might be in some real trouble.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure I'm an outlier here, but tbh this wouldn't bother me for any game other than the one(s) I had been currently playing. I'm done with Zelda and Mario, so if those saves got erased I'd probably be like "ah well" and move on pretty fast to a different game.

If anything it's a kick in the pants reason to play them again lol. What good is keeping a save file around of a game that you've completed? Especially to the degree that he probably had? It's like whenever I go back and play Animal Crossing Gamecube (get the urge a couple times a year). I never re-load an old town and pick out all the weeds, first thing I do is erase the save and start again. Same thing I'd do if I wanted to go back to Breath of the Wild. Why would I go back to a completed game? What would there be to do?
Some of these are massive games. I hit the end credits for Breath of the Wild, but I will probably like to continue my game later on.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He used one of those odd docks, didn't he?
that is an easy way to blow up your USB port, kind of makes transfer difficult when the console IO is destroyed or you can't even power the device on.

If they made it work like the 3DS it would work better for users, but probably enable some of the 3DS piracy issues along the way.

Wireless data transfers would be nice at this point, cloud or not.

of course none of this would have helped this guy if he destroyed his USB port.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks. I got a brand new Switch back after sending mine in, and it still had all of my saves, screenshots, and profiles.

Deleted member 6436

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about the ability to move saves to the SD card at a minimum.

If not cloud saves then at least implement save transfers from system storage into microSD.

Am I mistaken or if it's a situation like this and the system turns on, can you transfer your profile + save data to another Switch then transfer it back once you get your system returned from Nintendo?

Y'all are missing the point that he couldn't charge his Switch, which is why it was in for repairs to begin with. Transfers don't do you any good if you can't power on the device.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Does the Switch not have a content manager like the Vita? Where you can backup saves and games to a PC for transfer later?

yikes. Maybe with Nintendo online in September cloud saves will come?

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
This is absurd. I'd be alright if you could put saves on SD cards, but they're locked on the system. I'd be livid if I lost my XC2 data at this point.

Deleted member 7101

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would be beyond pissed. Nintendo needs to get on this. Cloud saves in this day and age should be the standard.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of these are massive games. I hit the end credits for Breath of the Wild, but I will probably like to continue my game later on.
I suppose, but what would there to be to continue? And at least for Mario, Brian had gotten all 999 moons, he had seen and done everything in that game. So what good is the save file? Opening up and being like "cool" and then closing it again?

Again, it would really only bother me for a game I'm still playing, which right now would be Stardew, Mario Rabbids, and Celeste. Otherwise, meh. If his tweet had said "and I was 50 hours into Xenoblade" or something I'd definitely feel a lot more anger towards it. But he specifically referenced two games he's already more than finished with lol.

I dunno, I realize I'm being weird I guess.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Is there no backup option in Switch? I might need to get on it if there is.

Oh, and is the title of this thread some sort of anagram or just a really impressive run on?