• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Cam't we all just focus on the actual case here? Some of us just want to discuss it as more and more news surfaces and maybe speculate a bit, but you're all just going to get the thread locked again.

I wonder if the van was at the parking lot where he was dropped off at.

I don't believe she mentioned seeing the van, but that doesn't of course mean it wasn't there. That would definitely make him being picked up like that where he was even more suspicious I think.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
This whole story is already tragic.
The family of the guy basically saying fuck all to protect their son, who is now "missing" (on the run).

It's terrible. My heart goes out to the Petito family. I hope they find their daughter, even if it looks like at this point she may no longer be alive.

Also, I'm on the last episode of the Podcast Your Own Backyard (incredible) and without spoiling anything, I see some similarities with this case and it's just heartbreaking in both.

Hope they find this boyfriend fucker so they can find out what happened to Gabby.

All Brian had to do is stay silent and hope no trace of Gabby is ever found and he could skate free just like Paul Flores. (Ugh)

microgreen

Jun 24, 2020
This topic has really brought out the ugliness of this place. In the previous one it was "fuck my gf if anything happens to her I'm hiring a lawyer and not saying shit" and now it's "I'm gonna help cover up for my murderer son."

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They sound like parents.

Brock Turner's parents, specifically.

I can take the dogpile, I'm just being honest. I'm not turning in any child I might have unless they are an active danger to the community like the unabomber. I may be disgusted with them, I may tell them I never want to see them again but I'm not calling the police.

This is bullshit. How would you know your hypothetical child who murders or rapes "just" one person isn't an active threat to the community? What, would you have them explain to you in detail what they did and why they did it, and then fairly judge whether or not they would do it to somebody else? If the family of your child's victim was begging for information, you would give them nothing because that would just bring the cops down on your kid?

OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I feel like if Brian's parents had a competent criminal lawyer, they would have put out a statement at the start of this whole thing and distanced themselves from the situation, instead, they put themselves straight into the thick of it, possibly by choice because they want to cover for their son. It would hardly be the first time a family put out a statement when their adult child was involved in something like this.

Something along the lines of:

Brian arrived to our home on September 1st with the van that him and gabby left in on their camping trip that began in July. Brian has not talked to us about where Gabby is. Brian is no longer staying at our home. Brian now has a lawyer representing him and all question should be directed towards the lawyer, as we do not have any information and are not currently in communication with our son. We encourage our son that if he can help in the search for Gabby, he should help in anyway he can at the advice of his lawyer. We love Gabby and hope that she will be found.

They then have removed themselves from the situation and people likely wouldn't be outside their home protesting. At least not as many. Like, it's crazy they decided they were going to be directly a part of this.

Instead, cold, dead silence from them.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
User threadbanned: inflammatory and insensitive commentary
This is bullshit. How would you know your hypothetical child who murders or rapes "just" one person isn't an active threat to the community? What, would you have them explain to you in detail what they did and why they did it, and then fairly judge whether or not they would do it to somebody else? If the family of your child's victim was begging for information, you would give them nothing because that would just bring the cops down on your kid?

Last time I'm responding because this is all hypothetical crap and no one knows exactly what they'd do when presented with such a situation. Hypothetically, I'd be inclined to believe whatever story my child concocted. I wouldn't exactly be some neutral, unbiased listener. Thus, I'd be predisposed to accept whatever defense the could come up with it unless there was ample proof to contradict them. In any case, I'd likely tell them to turn themselves into the police but if they didn't I wouldn't turn them in, I'd simply tell them to leave.

If they actually admitted to murdering a missing person and told me where the body was, I'd likely give them a few days head start before telling the family. After that, it's up to the police to apprehend them, I want no part in it nor would I answer my child's calls after that.

But again, it's all hypothetical and hopefully will only ever remain hypothetical. If you raised a murderer then you fucked up somewhere.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
While I want to reserve my judgement before we get all the facts, just based of how he has acted so far, he just does everything that looks shady as hell.

I hope and pray she is alright, or in a worst case scenario, we find out what happened to her and justice is served.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
What was the reason for the police not taking him in for questioning as soon as the case went public? I feel like they normally interview people right away if they're direct family members, even if it's just to ensure they weren't involved. He looked super guilty from the get go. Like, comically guilty.

May 14, 2021
Last time I'm responding because this is all hypothetical crap and no one knows exactly what they'd do when presented with such a situation. Hypothetically, I'd be inclined to believe whatever story my child concocted. I wouldn't exactly be some neutral, unbiased listener. Thus, I'd be predisposed to accept whatever defense the could come up with it unless there was ample proof to contradict them. In any case, I'd likely tell them to turn themselves into the police but if they didn't I wouldn't turn them in, I'd simply tell them to leave.

If they actually admitted to murdering a missing person and told me where the body was, I'd likely give them a few days head start before telling the family. After that, it's up to the police to apprehend them, I want no part in it nor would I answer my child's calls after that.

But again, it's all hypothetical and hopefully will only ever remain hypothetical. If you raised a murderer then you fucked up somewhere.
If you and your hypothetical child are ever on the Amazing Race, Survivor, or Big Brother, I'm hypothetically noping the fuck out.

May 14, 2021
What was the reason for the police not taking him in for questioning as soon as the case went public? I feel like they normally interview people right away if they're direct family members, even if it's just to ensure they weren't involved. He looked super guilty from the get go. Like, comically guilty.
I don't think even to this day there's been a crime declared, which is probably how Brian's attorney got him out of cooperating at all with police.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
User threadbanned: Trolling and antagonizing other members
I see in the absense of useful information this thread has turned into another moral debate.

Never seen anyone on Era straight up admit they're an irredeemable piece of shit before. Jesus Christ
this is what I love about this place. The way some people can act so high and mighty and call people irredeemable pieces of shit based on a single opinion.

Sounds like you need to up your ignore game so that posts from ignored users don't show up at all. Cleans things right up.
if your ignoring people on Era your Charmin sawft.

I mean it's a bunch of kids on an Internet forum with bad social skills and inflated opinions of their intelligence. Comes with the territory. They have no idea what they're talking about.
The average age of Era is like 30

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
This topic has really brought out the ugliness of this place. In the previous one it was "fuck my gf if anything happens to her I'm hiring a lawyer and not saying shit" and now it's "I'm gonna help cover up for my murderer son."

Still not as bad as the teacher who admitted they failed a student's grades because the kid was Black. (or was that thread in the Old Place before Era? Remind me, veterans!)

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Never seen anyone on Era straight up admit they're an irredeemable piece of shit before. Jesus Christ
Denial happens in all cases of traumatic events. Does not mean that the people attached to the events are terrible, simply that the impact is too strong for them to fully understand or process the gravity of the situation.

I have had a series of serious trauma over my life, and the thoughts I have had sometimes, I can't even begin to explain them as I was so far detached from understanding was truly happening, I was dissociating all the time whenever a string of events would happen that are reminiscing of the trauma. It's fucking difficult to explain.

OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Still not as bad as the teacher who admitted they failed a student's grades because the kid was Black. (or was that thread in the Old Place before Era? Remind me, veterans!)
Old place. It was an anonymous confession. But also the same person seemed to have later admitted it was all a lie. Personally, I'm not so sure it was all a lie.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
In regards to the parent-child argument, the law does take that into account. That's why they can't compel someone to testify against a family member, and often won't punish, for example, a mother trying to protect their child. That doesn't meant they won't happily accept a family member's help if it's voluntarily offered, however.

May 14, 2021
Not only that, but North Port police say he isn't even a suspect…

"I can't confirm where he's at," North Port Police spokesman Josh Taylor told Fox News Friday evening, :He's a private citizen that's not a suspect."
Makes sense. If there's no crime, there's no suspects. But they should have been suspicious enough of him to at least monitor his whereabouts. They were concerned enough to take his/her van in for processing,

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017

They tried to speak with him. His family said he was not available and handed them his lawyers card.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

It'll get less attention, competing as it is with you being fine with covering for rape or murder and declaring the loving care of a parent for their child who has done something wrong is better expressed by telling them you never want to see them again rather than by helping them atone in whatever way possible with a chance to maybe one future day find forgiveness, this:

If you raised a murderer then you fucked up somewhere.

is also a wrong, and potentially disgusting, statement.

Oct 30, 2017
I see in the absense of useful information this thread has turned into another moral debate.

this is what I love about this place. The way some people can act so high and mighty and call people irredeemable pieces of shit based on a single opinion.

if your ignoring people on Era your Charmin sawft.

The average age of Era is like 30
The rest of it stands.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
In regards to the parent-child argument, the law does take that into account. That's why they can't compel someone to testify against a family member, and often won't punish, for example, a mother trying to protect their child. That doesn't meant they won't happily accept a family member's help if it's voluntarily offered, however.

Under FL Law, immediate family can't be prosecuted for harboring a fugitive. Although, the way I read the statute is that it only protects family if they believe or know the crime committed was a third degree felony. If they have reason to believe it is anything above that, they can be charged as an accessory after the fact. Of course, a prosecutor would have to prove the family member knew the family member committed the crime and that the crime was above third degree felony. However, exceptions exist to child abuse or murder where there is no such protection.

Oct 30, 2017
There are lots of scenarios where he didn't murder her. I am not defending him, or his family - he should have helped out and been answering questions. And maybe he did…but people need to chill and wait for answers from the authorities and stop fighting with each other.

May 14, 2021
There are lots of scenarios where he didn't murder her. I am not defending him, or his family - he should have helped out and been answering questions. And maybe he did…but people need to chill and wait for answers from the authorities and stop fighting with each other.
Of course there are scenarios where he didn't kill her. But history is informative, and history says he more than likely killed her. Police know the statistics as well and should have kept a closer eye on him.

Oct 25, 2017

There are not a lot of plausible scenarios where he wasn't involved in her death. In fact, there's not even a handful.

May 14, 2021
For what it's worth, investigators say there is zero evidence linking Brian and Gabby to the murders of the married couple who were also in Moab at the same time.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Him fleeing or going into hiding is sort of an admission of guilt. He knows he fucked up and his chances of killing her just went through the roof.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If you help your kid get away with murder then you are not a good person. Period.

You can still love your kid, and give them emotional support, but covering shit up and assisting them in escaping crosses the line.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
If they actually admitted to murdering a missing person and told me where the body was, I'd likely give them a few days head start before telling the family.

You would aid a murder, become part of the crime. Hopefully you would end up in jail. If not, you would have to look over your shoulder for the rest of your life from the victims family.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
It's bizarre. Like, technically they are looking for a missing person, because they could be in distress, they aren't legally looking for a criminal or fugitive. It's got to feel weird for the people in the search knowing why he's missing.
Yeah it's definitely a bit surreal. I'm just catching up like yesterday lol

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You need a stronger sense of justice if you think any murderer deserves "a few days head start." Like if that's really what you feel is appropriate then you should give up the whole "living among society" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.