• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

malyse

Community Resetter
When most people run for office, the usual methods for fundraising are quite boring. From straight up calling folks, to throwing dinners, to maybe even hosting a golf tournament, it's usually all about getting people together to give you money. But not for Brianna Wu. Instead, the Massachusetts-based game developer is hosting a live Twitch stream of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, the new, first-person shooter game where you eviscerate Nazis in brutal ways, in order to raise her campaign funds for the 8th congressional district of Massachusetts.

Wu announced the news early Monday on her campaign's website and scheduled the event for 5 p.m. Eastern, Wu will hop on Twitch — the social networking platform where users broadcast their activity to a live audience — to play Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, the newest game in Bethesda's Wolfenstein reboot. The game is set in a dystopian reality where Nazis won World War II.

Aside from the suddenly political perspective that Nazis are bad, Wu's campaign idea is noteworthy in that she was one of the most prominent targets during the height of Gamergate, a controversy that, at its peak in 2014, exposed issues of sexism and a lack of progressivism in gaming (although proponents argue it was about ethical practices in games journalism). Gamergate is also largely understood as the overture for the alt-right and resurgence of neo-Nazis.

Wu announced her intentions to run for Congress almost immediately after the 2016 U.S. election, running on platforms such as online privacy, harassment, and to make Massachusetts a formidable technology hub on the east coast.​

https://www.inverse.com/article/37909-brianna-wu-congress-wolfenstein-ii-twitch

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
That's pretty dope. Love seeing that, also didn't realize that she's running so it's already helping.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure whether John and Jane Doe gonna pay attention to this, but good luck. If anything, imo her aim is less getting elected and more shining a spotlight on online issues, which is a good thing.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
the fucked up thing is that "we need to fight nazis" is still a pretty fringe opinion in mainstream liberal circles

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So a politician bought Wolfenstein 2. Hmm...guess it bombed in the US too then. Something something joke politicians are out of touch

OP
OP
malyse

malyse

Community Resetter
So a politician bought Wolfenstein 2. Hmm...guess it bombed in the US too then. Something something joke politicians are out of touch

HTTP3d3dy5oZWFsdGhhbmRmaXRuZXNzdGFsay5jb20vd3AtY29udGVudC91cGxvYWRzLzIwMTEvMTIvb2JhbWEtc3dlYXQuanBn.gif

That's one take, I guess.

Deified Data

Oct 28, 2017
Triggering scores of chodes - this must be like dousing their brains in gasoline and setting them on fire.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Wish she had found a way to run in a competitive district. MA-8 is pretty solidly Dem, and the dude holding the seat has been there for an eternity from what I understand.

Best of luck to her though. Her platform is admirable.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
She should really be playing the last one. You go to the moon in that game.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not a fan of hers and doubt that she would do better than the current dem. Still I don't wish her any harm. Hopefully she doesn't lose too much or her or her parents money in this.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
She has no experience and still has a barely outlined platform. Combined with the fact that she has some terrible positions such as supporting the war on drugs makes her a terrible candidate.
This combined with the fact that Lynch, while certainly not perfect, is pretty solid with a lot of experience and well liked, means she has absolutely no chance, thankfully.

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To those praising her: her platform is actually pretty bad. Her first pillar is not achievable from a federal legislative position (she should be running for a statewide position), her second is a pipe dream (though admirable), and her third is just the same old "I'LL SAVE YOU MONEY" spiel that every wannabe politician with no economics background spouts. Her pitch that she fought the alt-right and won is pretty hilarious considering how far the alt-right has gained ground since GG. That interview she did months back pretty much sealed the deal: she's just doing this because she's semi-semi-famous. She has no clue what she'd actually do in Congress.

Wolfenstein's cool though.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I made the thread on that other place when she announced her candidacy. I'm a Dem and anti-GamerGate, but her platform sucks and she has no chance against Lynch. She should have tried running on the state or local level before going right to a national seat. Her inexperience shows.

2th

Oct 27, 2017
I have no political opinion on her, I just want to point out that the title is hilarious. The whole idea of anyone playing a video game to gain money for a political career is funny.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't think she'd make a good politician, and running as a Dem is probably not going to help her campaign.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the fucked up thing is that "we need to fight nazis" is still a pretty fringe opinion in mainstream liberal circles
Certainly looks pretty bad looking over from Europe.
Not really versed in her political platform, but from the responses in this thread not something to take too seriously. Can't and wouldn't have voted for her just because of this anyway.
It is a nice idea in theory to connect with a younger audience while meeting politicians in a more casual setting. Obviously requires you to either be constantly in role if you are lieing as a politician or being true to yourself and run as yourself.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's shown herself to be kind of a loon over the past couple years. Unless her opponent was like Ray Moore level it seems like a lost cause.

Oct 25, 2017
Does she still think that she can solve congressional deadlock by inviting Republicans over to her office to play Street Fighter?

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Won't watch for fear of spoilers but more power to her.

Last edited:

Grief.exe

Oct 26, 2017
She's shown herself to be kind of a loon over the past couple years. Unless her opponent was like Ray Moore level it seems like a lost cause.

Since her opponent is a sitting Democrat, she would have to Primary him before even running into a Republican.

Seems like the guy is well liked and he has been in that seat for 16 years.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
brianna wu playing wolfenstein II on twitch to raise money for a political run is definitely peak twitter leftism

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Boy that post reeks of unwarranted self importance. Fought the alt-right???

Sorry to inform the veterans of Gamergate but that was nothing more than the biggest flame war in internet history. It was utterly stupid, banal, and hateful but it will be nothing more than a footnote in a book on internet culture.

It was not our gen's Kent State, it's not the battle for net neutrality, it's not even on par with the YouTube Adapocalpyse. It was a tirefire with Anime/Frog Avatars just pouring disinfo and spreading nasty messages to create more chaos.

Brianna would not stop feeding the trolls, she would respond endlessly so trolls do what they always do and just started spamming hate. Because getting a response even one of rage & disgust feels better than getting no recognition whatsoever.

If she goes out to Campaign and goes to a normal citizen and says "I was a center of harassment in Gamergate." Your normal voter will just say "What the fuck is a Gamergate?"

I got way off topic but should Wu desire to be a public servant she should get involved on a local level instead of doing more internet publicity stunts.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
What's annoying is that there's only two scenarios: she loses and the gamergaters get riled out and fellate themselves about keeping her out of congress or she wins and this person is involved in making our country's laws.

If I'm choosing between the ego of gamergarters versus putting an unexperienced person with bizarre ideas in a position of power, GG can have this one. Their feelings don't matter, but Wu can do real damage if elected (not that she can be).

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Makes me wish I lived in Massachusetts so I could vote for her. I don't have much to donate, either, but I wish her all the best.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Brianna Wu is peak yikes, like others have pointed out above. No thanks.

Indeed. She is a bit of a loon, the good thing is that she has practically no chance of winning a primary.

If you're gonna be negative about something, I hope you've got reasoning to back it up.

I would like to apologize - I didn't do my research regarding this discussion and I was a bit out of line. I apologize for the accusation.

Last edited:

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the twitch equivalent of a kickstarter that never releases? Because no way this ends in a win.