• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If she's serious about this, that's fantastic but uhhhhh....let's just say I'm not seeing a lot of actionable or realistic goals in terms of platform, and she has some TERRIBLE optics from her online presence, even to a sympathetic set of eyes. This isn't me saying online harassment isn't itself an issue, but a seemingly central claim of qualification coming from "I was a target of a harassment campaign" doesn't impress me in terms of being a lawmaker. I think she's likely to do more harm that good, running against a well-liked Democrat.

Particularly after Donald Trump's "I'm an outsider" pitch, and from a series of similarly...not ideal results from those with similar claims over my lifetime, I would want someone with experience within the political spectrum who's proven their abilities. I don't want celebrities for my political leaders. Governance is more important than that. To my taste, you don't learn on-the-job for higher political positions. If someone is serious about their long-term goals, and isn't just seeking further celebrity, starting at a local position and working their way up doesn't take THAT long, and does give exactly the sort of experience and networking you NEED to be successful in national politics.

Lucifer

Oct 31, 2017
What's the moon rock thing? Sounds sketchy.

Her stance on the war on drugs is reprehensible. I'm glad she has no chance to win.

This is a nice idea for resetera crowd, but it really killed me to realize most of the videogame world are horrible alt-righters in the couple days it took during the exodus to here.
What are you talking about?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If people are curious about the moon rock thing, these were the original tweets:

Moonrocks.png

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I've lived in the pioneer valley area for most of my life and while I understand wanting to keep the tech field here that shouldn't be the primary concern for her. One of the biggest issues this state has is our public infrastructure is in dire need of a revamp.

I hope that drug tweet is fake cause we also have a massive drug addiction problem too. Like any politician I hope she changes her views, having a feminist on Congress would be great.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know that people want to tread carefully and be supportive post-GG, but this person is not someone who people should be rallying behind for public office. She's woefully uninformed and is basically treating it like an ego trip (not that that's unique among politicians).

The truth has been spoken. The lady lives in a dream world separate from reality.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The moon rocks thing isn't totally nuts, conceptually: people have considered such weapon systems before. But it's such a silly hot take to hold up as the important takeaway there. This lady just isn't serious.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
As many others have pointed out - if you've been following Wu on Twitter, you'll know that she's definitely not qualified and definitely NOT as liberal as she makes herself to be

Neptonic

Oct 25, 2017
Tucson, AZ
She seems very nice, but she is not a person I would want in an elected position. Every once in awhile she drops a wild opinion on twitter that goes against what she campaigns as.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if her run for congress will be torpedo'd when the media dig up all the embarrassing drawings she did a few years ago.

Fawx

Oct 27, 2017
Varsovia
I find it quite ironic that one dude got banned for "victim blaming" considering Wu has done a fair share of online mobbing and harassing herself. She's not only toxic but also a bigot who can't discriminate between expressions that put people at risk and those which merely rub some the wrong way, rallying followers to attack and remove from social networking whoever dares to criticize her. I mean(and as others already pointed out), finding receipts isn't difficult in her case. This is why I hate the whole GG thing too - the constant trolling and harassment directed towards people like Wu only empowered this infantilized culture of victimhood, made it more difficult to resolve political and social conflicts by feeding a mentality that crowds out a necessary give and take, the very concept of good-faith disagreement, turning every policy difference into a pitched us vs them battle. The problem is that the line is very fuzzy between fighting for victimized people and promoting a victimhood culture, hence why the fight for victims should be led by aspirational leaders who challenge us to cultivate higher values and not by dubious opportunists with track record for milking controversy.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
As a reminder, Gamergate rhetoric will not be tolerated, any posts including such will be met with warnings and suspensions depending on the severity of the post. Brianna Wu is a public figure and not protected from criticism, however, any posts alluding that there is any justification of Gamergate's doxxing, death, or rape threats will be dealt with accordingly. Thank you.

Last edited:

AnimalFather

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok and does her views coincide with ours in anyways? I know she's pro-games but other than that was does she support?

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I mean good luck to her and all, but I live in this district.

She's got no shot.
I mean yeah.

But it's still interesting to see people using different tactics to relate to different demographics.

Lynch will win it again because he hates spending money and rocking boats. Wu's platform is pretty much flipped from his in terms of drugs, hate speech and public spending.

It'll be interesting to see if she keeps running in 2020 though.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If people are curious about the moon rock thing, these were the original tweets:

Moonrocks.png

See, first you're dropping moon rocks, then you move on to space colonies, and soon you're fighting wars with giant robots. This is how it starts.

The opinion's been stated, but I'm really not impressed with her as a politician. I feel bad for her being one of the primary victims of Gamergate, but that I'm not finding anything that makes my sympathy translate from that issue to the public arena.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
See, first you're dropping moon rocks, then you move on to space colonies, and soon you're fighting wars with giant robots. This is how it starts.

The opinion's been stated, but I'm really not impressed with her as a politician. I feel bad for her being one of the primary victims of Gamergate, but that I'm not finding anything that makes my sympathy translate from that issue to the public arena.
It's somewhat interesting that, as someone who has been on the taking end of almost endless abuses due to GG, her political calls would put victims of drug abuse in the crosshairs of an already turbulent culling. It's necessary to stand out against your opponents, but if she won, she'd be in a very similar position as those behind the oregon street sweepings, people in need of help placed in further danger because they are an eyesore to the public.

That being said...it worked for Ted Kennedy...

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Threatening people with jail because of mental/substance abuse issues sounds like a terrible non-solution to a real problem. When in rehab, the last thing you need is force. It all comes down to willingness of the client in care to fix their problems, otherwise it's doomed to fail from the start.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I didn't mean to give off the impression that I felt any of the harassment aimed at her was justified. If you dislike somebody, better to just ignore them and live your own life.

Wait...people are back to supporting her?

She has pretty large following on twitter and alot connections. I could actually see her winning with a well managed campaign if she focused locally and campaigned intensely. The current batch of Democrats is extremely unpopular and the winds are blowing in a progressive direction. She isn't really progressive but she could easily put forward that image.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
She has pretty large following on twitter and alot connections. I could actually see her winning with a well managed campaign if she focused locally and campaigned intensely. The current batch of Democrats is extremely unpopular and the winds are blowing in a progressive direction. She isn't really progressive but she could easily put forward that image.
The candidate she's running against is extremely POPULAR in his district. So no.