• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow...WOW am I glad I went to sleep just as someone mentioned a Portal rumor that I shrugged off as bull. But man, that is quite the fan-smashing announcement. This is like Federation Force levels of failing to understand an audience.

It's a cool idea for a game...but it'd be a lot better if there were you know...an actual Portal game coming so that a spin-off can be accepted as being its own thing.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Totally unpredictable, I know. Who could predict that fans of a massively popular, long dead property would react badly to it getting used as thematic window dressing for a game it has little in common with.
Like it did with Audiosurf, Killing Floor, The Ball, AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!, BIT.TRIP.BEAT, Still Alive, Amnesia and several Lego Games? (and propably many other games?)

A huge part of the Portal franchise comes from its appearances in other games

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
xqba9g7j8g.gif

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh didn't you guys hate when Valve developed that Portal game with a bunch of toys, Batman and Lord of the Rings characters?

Uuuugh, fuck Valve, am I right?

Jerry

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Totally unpredictable, I know. Who could predict that fans of a massively popular, long dead property would react badly to it getting used as thematic window dressing for a game it has little in common with.

I'm not blaming the developers, and I honestly feel sort of bad for them in light of this leak, especially if it is to go along with an actual portal related announcement. But there's a reason shit like Metroid: Federation Force goes over poorly.

So you're saying you would rather have nothing?

If you don't like the product, don't buy it.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
This bums me out so much... however, as a mobile game it could do quite well for them.

Side note: I thought the leak was a bad joke at first, guess I'm not jaded enough yet.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
They missed a trolling opportunity with that one. Should have been a card game. But maybe they safe that for Half-Life³ :D

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like it did with Audiosurf, Killing Floor, The Ball, AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!, BIT.TRIP.BEAT, Still Alive, Amnesia and several Lego Games? (and propably many other games?)

A huge part of the Portal franchise comes from it's appearances in other games
You're describing an event that was immediately prior to and orchestrated by valve to drum up hype for an Portal 2. That's not the same as what is (so far as we know, though it may prove otherwise) just a standalone Portal themed game. It's not the same.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Ah, ok. Yeah, I get it. But he does make a salient point. Just for funsies, I think a Portal collection would be far more likely than Portal 3. I guess we'll see.
A collection huh? I'd only slightly really care if they remade Portal 1 with Portal 2 quality. Not just visual, expand the rooms and puzzles to bring them on par with 2, maybe make the campaigns connect seamlessly (complete with fake-but-real credits inbetween). Just for funsies though, anyone have a good clue of how decently Switch could potentially run source engine stuff? From easiest, Half-Life 2 itself, to toughest, Titanfall (never gonna happen)?

PurelyChris

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Can we not call it a "leak"? It wasn't leaked. It was spelled out in a press release from Headup Games to go live today at 2PM GMT....

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So that's what Gabe meant when he said in his AMA that there is a "single-player game in the Half-Life universe" in development...

OP
OP
Muffin

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Can we not call it a "leak"? It wasn't leaked. It was spelled out in a press release from Headup Games to go live today at 2PM GMT....
Someone put it out earlier than he was supposed to, so I think leak is the appropriate term. If the mods disagree with this and I'm missing something, they're free to change it to a more appropriate title.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying you would rather have nothing?

If you don't like the product, don't buy it.
I'm saying that some if this doesn't accompany something resembling the announcement of a proper Portal release, some disappointment and even cross reactions are to be expected. I'm not trashing their game. I'm just saying that in the space of a two hearbeats it has the power to build and crush the hopes of its potential audience. Look no further for an example of this than Valve's own Artifact reveal in August.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are people smoking. This game looks fun Unlike the piece of shit that was Federation Force which looked awful since its reveal.
Uh no? The main reason people shit on Federation Force was because it wasn't Prime or any other proper Metroid game, just like this is no proper Portal game. Noone cared if FF was fun. (It was with some people).

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I expected nothing and still I was let down.......okay maybe a bit too dramatic. Hope it's good of course as we all hope all games are good. Still say a Portal thing is coming and Portal fans are going to expect Portal 3 - that cannot be helped. It's been a long time since I've played Portal 1 and 2 so maybe I'll just go and do that.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
That's why I say - never get hype for TGA announcements :P

Geoff is always like "MEGATONS INCOMING" but it's rarely something mind-blowing and actually worth getting hyped about.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Honestly, seems like a cool idea and it would be nice to see the Portal IP showing up in other games. It was used very well for one TD game I now don't remember the name, and it seems it's gonna add lots of twists to this entry of the Bridge Constructor game.

Also, was this actually gonna be announced at the TGA? Seems like a really big event for a considerably small indie game (maybe they are bigger than I'm assuming they are).

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
It literally is. Long dormant, much beloved franchise, used as branding and thematic window dressing for a game in a different genre by a different developer. The way it sets up and then crushes expectations in the space of its title reveal is very similar.
"Bridge Constructor..."
Oh fuck yeah baby gimme it
"...Portal"
ah screw this shit