• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It literally is. Long dormant, much beloved franchise, used as branding and thematic window dressing for a game in a different genre by a different developer. The way it sets up and then crushes expectations in the space of its title reveal is very similar.
It literally isn't. Nintendo comissioned and published it, they paid for the game to happen.
In this situation, a indie dev asks Valve if they can do a crossover and Valve allows it, just like it has allowed it countless times in the past.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like Geoff but he could watch a trailer of a video game NPC doing their laundry and he would sell it as the greatest fucking thing ever committed to media.
He's a very genuinely enthusiastic guy but he has a skeptical side too. I feel like few people, maybe nobody with his level of access give Reggie's evasive non answers the side eye like Geoff does.
It literally isn't. Nintendo comissioned and published it, they paid for the game to happen.
In this situation, a indie dev asks Valve if they can do a crossover and Valve allows it, just like it has allowed it countless times in the past.
You're describing internal differences, not how it affects its audience. The exact details of how each was made and by whom are kind of beside the point.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I like Geoff but he could watch a trailer of a video game NPC doing their laundry and he would sell it as the greatest fucking thing ever committed to media.

In all fairness: even though Geoff is super passionate, his mission is to advertise/hype up his show, so yeah.. You shouldn't take anything he says regarding "amazing games" even remotely serious.

Oct 28, 2017
Half Life 3: deck-based tower defense / attack, next.
rebHHQD.png

KjHIj2a.png
lmao

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it will be pretty good, but man, what a let down. What's next TF2 Hat Simulator Mobile as a F2P gacha game? (Actually please give me that)

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I like bridge construction games, but the concept has been elaborated on in countless titles at this point. Based on the trailer, this looks like a reskin job without anything new to bring to the table. That can only be disappointing when the competition includes games like World of Goo.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Bridge Constructor..."
Oh fuck yeah baby gimme it
"...Portal"
ah screw this shit
I'm glad at least someone is picking up what I'm putting down.
Okay, fair point. Take my words slightly less literally. Obviously portal trailer, for ... oh, obviously not a portal game.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think something's afoot here.

Why would Valve even bother letting them use the IP if a bigger jam wasn't coming down

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad at least someone is picking up what I'm putting down.
Okay, fair point. Take my words slightly less literally. Obviously portal trailer, for ... oh, obviously not a portal game.
I'm just playing. I get why people are disappointed.

On the other hand, Bridge Constructor is a lot of fun and is a series of discrete puzzles you progress through, which sort of fits into the Aperture Science theme. And the portal stuff could be a really interesting dimension to add to the bridge-building. So, like someone pointed out earlier, at least this looks like it could be good (unlike Federation Force).

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Why would Valve even bother letting them use the IP if a bigger jam wasn't coming down
One of the metrics for determining compensation at Valve is induced fanboy tears, and somebody is getting a Christmas bonus.

I really do hope you're right. I would LOVE this to be part of a second potato sack or something amazing like that.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be annoyed at the usage of an IP outside of the core franchise when that franchise is dormant.

If the Bioshock license was given to an indie studio to make a mobile city builder, even if that city builder was fantastic, Bioshock fans would still have reason to be annoyed.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand how people can compare this to federation force. I know people want a full game but sometimes I feel like people just want to pull out their pitch forks.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Valve allowed indiedevs in the past to use their ips for guest characters and the likes, for example in bittrip runner 2. So I don't think this has to mean anything.

Tho I don't mind being proven wrong.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just playing. I get why people are disappointed.

On the other hand, Bridge Constructor is a lot of fun and is a series of discrete puzzles you progress through, which sort of fits into the Aperture Science theme. And the portal stuff could be a really interesting dimension to add to the bridge-building. So, like someone pointed out earlier, at least this looks like it could be good (unlike Federation Force).
I totally believe it will be. I am not in any way trying to trash this game. I just wanted to share why I felt like my initial disappointment (and that of others) isn't entirely unwarranted.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

The existance of a Portal VR is plausible, even likely.

But then so was Episode 3. Or Left for dead 3. It's difficult to know what Valve plans, especially since they seem to cancel lots of projects too.

Also this being a leak, we don't exactly know the context of this release. Maybe they were approached and just said yes.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I remember playing this game. 10 years ago.

Edit: Was actually 17 years ago, holy crap.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, if you're feeling a little burnt or disappointed by this, and you haven't already, go play Portal Stories: Mel. It's an absolutely outstanding fanmade Portal 2 singleplayer mod, although it is challenging.