• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I thought the insane wave of Brie Larson hate would be done after Captain Marvel.

For a while, Googling "Brie Larson" brought up far-right YouTube videos "Why You Shouldn't Support Captain Marvel", "Brie Larson: Enemy Of White Men" etc etc etc. Every ad on Instagram, YouTube and Facebook was plastered with TOP comments from people saying "Brie Larson said she doesn't want white men to see Captain Marvel". I stupidly wasted energy arguing with some of them who would usually retort "do the research, I'm right" until you funnel them down to admitting that she never said that "but it's bad enough that she's a feminist" or "the intent behind her words" bullshit.

It's so much worse now.

Brie hate has reflooded my Instagram and Facebook. On every single Marvel and Marvel-related post. Hundreds to thousands of likes. Usually the top comment. The new memes are "everyone hates Brie Larson" and "Brie Larson has no ass". The latter is gross but the former is followed up with comments saying "look it up, the cast hates her". Only when I looked it up, the results went to alt-right Youtubers and podcasts. Don cheadle apparently got overwhelmed by the Brie hate on Twitter and asked people to knock it off.

It's so fucking sad. Not only are these usually the top comments but underneath they attack people for being feminist or for being gay, for being liberal, etc. I tried to report someone for attacking a Brie defender's sexuality (they took the time to find out that she was gay and threw barbs at her about it) but Insta told me that they found no wrong doing.

I have a hard time not getting upset by this stuff, especially seeing women and LGBTQ the primary targets of the harassment. Is there anything productive that can be done?

Edit: jeez, there are layers to this:
https://www.salon.com/2019/05/01/do...e-expert-slams-her-marvel-press-tour_partner/

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bunch of fuck boys who are mad they'll never be as accomplished or awesome as the women they hate/want to fuck.

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Billion Dollar Brie living rent-free inside all these pathetic individuals' heads.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She has lowkey become my main celeb crush over the last few months so all of these guys can kindly go fuck off down a sewer somewhere

Oct 27, 2017
Tiny dick incel terrorists. Marvel studios Instagram posted a photo of the women heroes eating lunch catered by RDJ and it was just full of ince losers.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite thing is the usual suspects making YouTube videos about how she ruined End Game.

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: drive-by post
Thanks for telling us this is really valuable information. Keep us updated on how much these people dislike her

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She has lowkey become my main celeb crush over the last few months so all of these guys can kindly go fuck off down a sewer somewhere

I saw her in an interview and her posture is so good I'm conscious of my own all the time now. Thanks Brie Larson you gave me a complex. 😢

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
#BillionaireBrie has free rent in their heads now that she had two films reach a billion dollars just last month. One of the greatest people I've ever known. She's not going to stop succeeding, smiling, laughing or living happily regardless of how mad they stay. thank u, next

XgWXhXF.gif

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when they tried to push "get woke go broke" before Captain Marvel came out, then it did well enough to cross 1 billion and they were shamed into pretending they never said it? I remember.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Bunch of literal neckbeards monetizing stupidity and insecurity. Some of them admit as such. For people that hate Larson, they sure love talking about her -- literally 100 videos worth. The funniest one I saw was a video called 'Brie Larson: most unlikable person on the planet.' Brie Larson is worse than Kim Jung Un.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if you just search her name on youtube, the first thing that comes up is "brie larson hated by cast". i knew not to click it.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Brie is amazing and she doesn't deserve this shit. Don Cheadle is the fucking man, and I'm so happy he ended up part of the Marvel Family after they gave the boot to Terrence Howard. The whole situation sucks. I'd say just ignore them, don't feed the trolls, etc., but getting so many likes and retweets and shit is mind-boggling.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Endgame's release probably got the pathetic fuckers riled up again I guess.

It's seriously pathetic just how fragile these worthless stains of human beings are that the unbelievably trivial remarks Larson made about diversity were enough to shatter their collective psyche into tiny little bits.

So yeah... they've been pissing me off a lot too.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Captain Marvel was a really good super hero movie. I loved it. Better origin story than most other origin stories. I don't understand the hate.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fun game I enjoy playing is called "take every favorite youtuber you have and.... oh god they are on this too, jesus christ I thought you were better then this"

Captain Marvel was a really good super hero movie. I loved it. Better origin story than most other origin stories. I don't understand the hate.
She was a woman superhero that didnt pander to men by having a born yesterday archetype... and she said 1 feminist thing in a interview

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when they tried to push "get woke go broke" before Captain Marvel came out, then it did well enough to cross 1 billion and they were shamed into pretending they never said it? I remember.

The alt-right manosphere grift market basically bet the farm on the idea that Captain Marvel was going to go down in flames and take Endgame and the rest of the MCU with it, and instead both films were wildly successful beyond imagination and as a result they've completely lost their minds.

The alt-right has had a couple high-profile "wins" the last few years in the entertainment industry, most of which weren't actually victories but were just ambiguous enough to give them the feeling that their "Get woke, go broke" mantra had come true. The success of Captain Marvel and Endgame has completely destroyed any credibility they thought they had built up and reminded them that nobody agrees with their hateful, backwards ideology.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Someone needs to make a meme of

Thanos trying and failing to headbutt Carol as a metaphor for the alt-right trying and failing to insult Brie.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Brie larson is full of awesomeness. Had a crush on her since Scott pilgrim movie.

So haters can fuck off really. These men are like just truly fragile its hilarious and sad.

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite thing is the usual suspects making YouTube videos about how she ruined End Game.
I don't give a shit about what she says in her day-to-day life. I haven't paid any attention to her. She might be an asshole, or she might be a saint. I truly don't know.
But you can't deny she was a detriment to the Endgame plot. The Deus-ex-machina aspect of her character (She teleported to the planet from a gazillion planets away, at just the right time) felt pretty lame. Without her, the Avengers possibly wouldn't have won the battle. Yet she had essentially zero impact on the movie until the very last second.
I haven't seen the Captain Marvel movie, so maybe it's completely explained. If you watch the final Avengers movie in a vacuum, however, like I did, she certainly felt like a loophole in the plot.

As for the hate-memes, it's always funny to see people get so triggered over something so mundane.
I take my movie-plots seriously, though! Her character definitely felt like a cop-out.

Mod Edit: Don't drop random spoilers in random threads

Last edited by a moderator:

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Heard this shit in real life from one of my Sister's friends. "the cast all hates her and she's so stuck up she didn't belong in End game". Influenced by her alt-right son. She's a school counselor to top it all off.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time not getting upset by this stuff, especially seeing women and LGBTQ the primary targets of the harassment. Is there anything productive that can be done?

The amount of casual misogyny I see around the internet just seems to have spiked up in the last year or so. Words like bitch, cunt, thot seem to litter almost every other conversation. I saw thot being used so damned casually in a fucking lego forum thread.

Then assholes like the half in the bag people get on her case for making a funny youtube video? wtf?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for telling us this is really valuable information. Keep us updated on how much these people dislike her

Lmao

I found her bland as shit in Avengers Endgame but it's pretty obvious this hate for her was happening regardless of her performance. The more socially active celebs are on Twitter, and especially women, the more they'll get shitted on by these ppl

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

I thought it was an OK movie that started getting good at the 3rd act. Nothing against Brie, but shooting energy beams out of your hands like Iron Man isn't that interesting.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
she will get a 2nd movie

be the leader of the Avengers in Avengers 5

then close her trilogy

And then be in Avengers 6 and 7 and maybe 8

among other potential films

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i dont like her role as Captain Marvel but i just dont care enough. Its just a movie. These idiot fans posting shit about her just make everything worse for them. Its like theyre puting an incel beacon on their heads.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Honest question: Is this thread an unintentional signal boost?

I've heard of the controversy--but ONLY in the troll spheres of the web. Last one I saw was maybe a random strange yahoo linked opinion piece which was probably its own form of a paid advertisement.

And there are many other "controversies" like this one. Essentially the fake news contingents of the internet--gamergate esque thralls and R/thedonald dwellers just trolling around social media to get their word in. Should we be actively bringing attention to it?

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
On one hand this is disgusting but on the other hand it at least gives me pleasure to know these incel turds live a life of agony of obsessing over her beyond any limits of sanity and common sense.

These people probably saw themselves in that Jude Law kree dude.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
The "body language analysis" video in that link is absolutely wild; it's like a living embodiment of that "bitch eating crackers" meme. 13 minutes of a sour-sounding woman reading negative intentions into everything Larson does.
Reading body language can work. It is something police or the FBI do with the people they interview. Body Language Ghost is an Alt-Right crazy who has a misunderstanding of even basic body language. The trend of her videos is "Liberal is a liar, shifty, worried, cornered, etc" and "Conservative is strong,confident,powerful"

Trodimus

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I mean Captain Marvel was mediocre as hell but this shit is ridiculous. Totally unnecessary to attack someone for playing a character in a children's movie.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I don't give a shit about what she says in her day-to-day life. I haven't paid any attention to her. She might be an asshole, or she might be a saint. I truly don't know.

But you can't deny she was a detriment to the Endgame plot. The Deus-ex-machina aspect of her character (She teleported to the planet from a gazillion planets away, at just the right time) felt pretty lame. Without her, the Avengers possibly wouldn't have won the battle. Yet she had essentially zero impact on the movie until the very last second.

I haven't seen the Captain Marvel movie, so maybe it's completely explained. If you watch the final Avengers movie in a vacuum, however, like I did, she certainly felt like a loophole in the plot.

As for the hate-memes, it's always funny to see people get so triggered over something so mundane.
I take my movie-plots seriously, though! Her character definitely felt like a cop-out.

lmao the entire Avengers movies are people Deus-ex-Machinaing to save the day at just the right time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I never see these memes / articles despite dwelling in Marvel material pretty frequently. Maybe I'm not the right demographic? I also never looked for any of that stuff either cuz why would I give that stuff my time, so maybe I was just never hooked by the algorithm.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
Any chance we could do the same but with positive messages like "everyone loves Brie Larson"? They love to say they're the "silenced majority", so let's silence them.