• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes the hate train really just feels like this at times:
giphy.gif

Nothing but delusional angry man-babies

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I think I know the press junket in question. Worst thing you could say was they didn't really have a lot of chemistry or really much to do with each other work wise so they were.all talking about their experiences separately. There were some good natured ribbing but no tension.

I'm not sure how people managed to create drama out of it.

She and Hemsworth both sometimes do that "I'm being overly self-serious and really dry" humor thing, except when a woman does any kind of humor that could read as self-deprecating -- especially if she's conventionally attractive, which means she would never poke fun at herself (this is why they accept this style of humor from someone like Melissa McCarthy and not Brie) -- then it must actually be real. Any teasing between Hemsworth and Larson is a sign that they actually despise each other and she's too much of an idiot to get the joke, right, because women don't have a sense of humor.

It's really easy if you don't think that women are people.

michaeltraps

Oct 28, 2017
RLM also fell into the "body-language" argument in their review of Endgame. They used to be one of my favorite YouTube channels, but their handling of the Captain Marvel and (to a lesser extent) Endgame reviews just solidified it for me.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
RLM also fell into the "body-language" argument in their review of Endgame. They used to be one of my favorite YouTube channels, but their handling of the Captain Marvel and (to a lesser extent) Endgame reviews just solidified it for me.
They should have been dropped years ago, but people dismissed their misogyny and racism because they made the PT videos. They straight up made a ching chong gag, making fun of Asians and concluding that it's ok because "that's the way they talk"

They also said TFA has forced diversity and that kids don't care about it.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think I made some kind of embarrassing audible noise in the theater when I saw that. Like ugh just step on me Carol. Just step on me and grind me into the ground beneath your boots. Oh my god. I need a cold shower.
Wtf is this comment? This is disgusting, how is this allowed?

On topic I like captain marvel (the movie and character in the movie) but I really did not like her in endgame. People being ass heads online because of it is fucked up and clearly has an agenda. I had a manager at work give opinion on captain marvel and it sounds just like this.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Did Scarlett ever got this kind of treatment for being Black Widow?

Well I suppose since Black Widow is so far down in terms of power ranking, she didn't receive any, huh, unlike Brie's Captain Marvel who is one of the strongest if not the strongest.

Not for black widow, but scar jo had to endure shit like this

tenor.gif

And she only had to "laugh" to not make things bad for her at that time.

and then you ask why people like Billionaire Brie had enough with shit like this in the industry.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

Was it a woman or gay man that did it? For some reason lots of people treat it as "okay" when people from either of those groups grab a woman without her consent because they probably aren't doing it for their own gratification, right, so it's perfectly fine to objectify her.

They're not really wrong. Sexualizing her in such an overt way in front of a bunch of strangers is weird and uncomfortable, especially in the context of the thread. Control the thirst.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Do people seriously not get that the cast is joking? The whole "don't get along" thing is a gag the MCU cast have been doing for years. Chris Hemsworth and Don Cheadle are well known for it.

It's like these idiot have never seen interviews before.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

and then you ask why people like Billionaire Brie had enough with shit like this in the industry.
The fuck? I don't think most of us have any idea what a lot of women have had to go trough.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Doesnt condone what he did, in front of everyone.

Think about what would happened if this incident takes place in 2018 or 2019

Definitely doesn't, but it's also not at all uncommon for gay men to feel like they have a right to women's bodies because it's not sexual even though it's a clear invasion.

Obviously it's not okay but I also think a lot of men might not realize it's shockingly common.

Appreciated.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
They should have been dropped years ago, but people dismissed their misogyny and racism because they made the PT videos. They straight up made a ching chong gag, making fun of Asians and concluding that it's ok because "that's the way they talk"

They also said TFA has forced diversity and that kids don't care about it.

Best of the Worst was amusing and having four people always smoothed things out. Yeah they gave a big warning light about their behavior with the Wonder Woman review, but at the time it seemed like a one off complaint mostly about 'Corporate Wokeness', that is trumpeting diversity primarily as a marketing gimmick. I figured they had been big fans of Annihilation so maybe I was overthinking it.

Railing on Brie Larson for Captain Marvel pretty much turned that warning light into a giant red klaxon, and it all seemed to be because of like one interview and a harmless marketing video. So I didn't watch anything since aside from Endgame as I wanted to see how they reacted to her there. Lo and behold, more shit. I then read they somehow brought it up in the Shazam review too.

What gets me is how completely clueless they were about the idea of little girls having a hero character to look up. Apparently they have never been around a single child in their entire lives or have completely forgotten their own childhoods. How many heroes do little boys look up to that aren't human? Answer: A whole fucking lot.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Just closed the tab when I was watching Red Letter Media's Endgame review and they had to make time to show exactly that one interview of Brie Larson to show that, hey, even her collegues clearly hate her!!

The irony of these manbabies blindly following and reposting an anti-feminist meme because it's trendy while constantly calling out what they deem to be manbabies for liking Star Wars is not lost on me.

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
The nerds just really really hate women.

Ummm I dont remember seeing any of this for Wonder Woman or Harley...
Personally I dont care for her, def dont hate her. She seems arrogant during interviews, like not overly confident but actually arrogant. She's def not the worst by no means, just not my favorite.

Oct 25, 2017

Well I suppose since Black Widow is so far down in terms of power ranking, she didn't receive any, huh, unlike Brie's Captain Marvel who is one of the strongest if not the strongest.

Only real thing thrown against her was stuff like Black Widow cramped in Iron Man 2 being blamed for why people thought it was bad.
Funny thing people forget though is that all the shared universe stuff in IM2 was blamed for it disappointing after 1.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is just disgusting. Jesus christ.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ummm I dont remember seeing any of this for Wonder Woman or Harley...
Personally I dont care for her, def dont hate her. She seems arrogant during interviews, like not overly confident but actually arrogant. She's def not the worst by no means, just not my favorite.

fuck that

what else can she do?

she can't back up now.

and there was hate for wonder woman, that now has converted to "wonder woman did it right!!"

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR

Another thing to consider is that Black Widow was introduced through a thoroughly male lens.

Most of what she does in her early appearances (especially Winter Soldier) is say sassy things while the camera pans up and down her body. And let's not forget "I'm a monster cuz I can't have children"

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Lol. Just googled "Captain Marvel Female" because i know NOTHING about the story, and one of the first links (to which I won't give the oxygen of publicity) goes on to say (I paraphrase):

"Short answer is because of diversity politics and liberal nonsense. The longer answer is that the character was originally female anyway,

Did people go batshit in the 60s & 70s when there was stuff with Supergirl and Batgirl? Actually, i bet they fucking did, didnt they,. Just didnt have the internet to moan about it like little bitches.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Do people seriously not get that the cast is joking? The whole "don't get along" thing is a gag the MCU cast have been doing for years. Chris Hemsworth and Don Cheadle are well known for it.

It's like these idiot have never seen interviews before.

Like I said before, some people are so convinced that women don't have a sense of humor that any time a joke involves a woman they just assume it must actually be serious because women are humorless.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
That's not what the line was about

She calls herself a monster because she murdered a whole lot of people

Nah. That would have been logical, but it's not what Joss wrote.

I've seen people try to put a positive spin on it by viewing it as her talking about them removing her bodily autonomy, but the line was absolutely about her being infertile.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

tenor.gif

Is that guy groping her live on camera

What in the actual fuck

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
fuck that

what else can she do?

she can't back up now.

and there was hate for wonder woman,
What can she do? She doesnt need to do a damn thing. As long as she knows she isnt doing anything wrong and shes having fun...fuck me and the other naysayers. Like i said, I personally, dont care for her. But that doesnt mean I'm right.

And naaaah man. If I recall correctly, Wonder Woman was "the only redeeming thing from BvS". This does not compare. And the original post I replied to claimed nerds dont like girls...which I felt was wrong.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Captain Marvel was a really good super hero movie. I loved it. Better origin story than most other origin stories. I don't understand the hate.

I don't get the hate about Brie Larson either. On the OTHER hand...

I just found Captain Marvel to be a pretty mediocre movie that was carried by Samuel L. Jackson's character a lot.

I also thought that how the character was depited in the movie kind of sucked. It was a character that didn't show much emotion and quite often acted so weiredly. It was this taked-on self-confidence presented through all those quick and weired nods after she did something (fight a guy or other actions) that made her look immature.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

tenor.gif

"Because he's gay he's allowed to do that" "we encourage it with gay men" eeeeeeeh. Media really has done a lot of harm to these issues.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
No if it wasn't true she wouldn't mention all the murdering she did.

The sterilization.... against her will was a monstrous thing done to her.

What made her monstrous was the lives she took

The scene in the first Avengers between Natasha and Loki was actually about her past and her choices that at one time made her a monster.

But Ultron's choice to frame her supposedly monstrous nature as being innately tied to how she cannot fulfill an assumed role and responsibility of womanhood is the most Joss way Joss could have Jossed it and I don't know why you'd feel the need to defend such comically bad writing. Everyone thinks of that scene as obviously being about the main thing she is talking about, which is that she's infertile. They could have made good writing choices and made it about her actual actions, like they did in the first Avengers film, but they did not.

Even if their intentions were otherwise, they massively failed the character with terrible writing that doesn't send the message you think it does to the majority of viewers and they didn't notice or care because they have never particularly cared much about telling Natasha's story.

I also thought that how the character was depited in the movie kind of sucked. It was a character that didn't show much emotion and quite often acted so weiredly. It was this taked-on self-confidence presented through all those quick and weired nods after she did something (fight a guy or other actions) that made her look immature.

In a franchise with characters like Tony Stark and Peter Quill, you think the woman who looks satisfied with her own accomplishments is the immature one?

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So a lot of people here are pulling the "that sucks for Larson; that being said FYI Captain Marvel sucks" trick. So I'm gonna come in here with a white guy take, because I'm sure everyone is eager to hear more of those. But: I found Captain Marvel boring. And I think that's just because of a fundamental disconnect with what the story is about.

Carol Danvers is great, she's great to begin with, and her challenge is reaching peak greatness. For me, that's not an interesting story. But that's because the idea of self-realization in that way doesn't connect with me. She doesn't face any real external threat in the movie, and she doesn't have any particular flaw. Her challenge is facing her own internalized limits - self-doubt was instilled in her systemically, and she has to break free of it. But like - I'm a white straight American dude. My life has pretty much just been people telling me I'm gonna do a good job, then doing a pretty good job, and being rewarded adequately for that job. There are very few systemic barriers to my self-actualization.

Carol's big moment is realizing that she's had the key to her own prison all along. If you've never been "locked up" in that way, it's not a victory you'll understand.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Have watched a few of Brie's interviews and she seems to not have the confidence of the other Marvel guys who have been doing these presstours for years on end, but how people can get anything other than her seeming kind, smart, and like a rather lovely person is beyond me.