• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't this God care primarily about the Earth instead of every other civilized planet that needs her help?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Sexual frustration is a hell of a drug. I hope the poor hookers who these fuckers pay just sniff them out and say no. No one deserves that kind of torture on the job.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Prefacing that Brie doesn't "deserve" (honestly, she looks like she doesn't give a fuck and isn't scared one bit of nerds going after her, but still) any of this criticism, people who wonder why other actresses didn't get this unwanted attention and say it's because CM's power level challenges their manhood are a bit disingenuous.

The war these mouthbreathers started on CM/Brie only really started when Brie went pedal to the metal on feminism and representation during the press tour (which was absolutely her prerogative). She didn't tip toe into the franchise, she immediately started kicking ass and taking names. It's more a war on the actress than on the character.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
I might be mis-remembering the timeline on Vision. The first time travel, when they start to mess things up, appears to take place after Vision has already existed. A lot of the movies blur together though, so I won't insist on that point. I don't know any of the side-characters names either, so I'll just go with whatever you said.

But I did just realize that the infinity stones are bare-handed by multiple people. Yet when they're introduced, it takes the entire Guardian squad (one of whom is a demigod) to even attempt just holding one for a small amount of time. Now we have Hawkeye, a regular ole human (I think?), just stick one in his pocket like it's nothing.

So yeah. The movie felt kinda rushed at points, including the ending. I see why people are upset with certain characters (especially Strange, dammit!). Not sure how that applies to insulting the actual actors, but, then again, there are people who think actors are actually characters in real life, so I'm not surprised by that stupidity either.
your being awfully obstinate in your criticisms considering you dont actually seem to remember half the point you are making correctly.

1. vision didnt exist yet, they went to averngers 1, he wasnt around till avengers 2.
2. only the powerstone was a big deal to hold single handed, all the others were fine (cept the aether i guess? that one was wierd, not even a stone really). like think of how aften people have tossed the tesseract around willy nilly.

If your arguments are going to be plot holes, maybe make sure you actually have a firm grasp on the plot first?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It's more a war on the actress than on the character.
No reason it can't be both. Would you honestly say after how people lost their shit over Rey being even perceived as stronger than Luke to a non-superpowered degree, they'd be fine with a character who walked with superman levels of power that can manhandle Thanos himself?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Agreed. Her Marvel appearances have not been incredibly likable to me. Just gives the impression that she doesn't give much of a shit about earth since she keeps randomly fucking off into space. More of a script problem than a Brie problem I think.

I love her as Carol Danvers, she exceeded my expectations.

Did Scarlett ever got this kind of treatment for being Black Widow?

Well I suppose since Black Widow is so far down in terms of power ranking, she didn't receive any, huh, unlike Brie's Captain Marvel who is one of the strongest if not the strongest.

Not that I remember.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
This "body language expert" from the article is the same that did several videos on Christine Blasey Ford during the Kavanaugh hearing. Looking at the channel it's everything you expect: criticising Pelosi, Schumer, AOC etc

These idiots eat that up, it's the most obvious propaganda.

Watch this and tell me this is an "expert"

I watched some of these videos because they kept coming up in my feed after I watched one Joe Rogan video and was then infested with Shapiro, Crowder and Peterson bullshit.

It's funny how the body language always winds up perfectly fitting right wing talking points.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I watched some of these videos because they kept coming up in my feed after I watched one Joe Rogan video and was then infested with Shapiro, Crowder and Peterson bullshit.

It's funny how the body language always winds up perfectly fitting right wing talking points.

Once Joe Rogan is involved the Alt-Right and Jordan Petersen with his lobster obsession aren't far behind.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
She felt a bit boring as Carol in Endgame but the hate is unnecessary. Never saw any memes other than people shipping Carol with Peter Parker recently.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prefacing that Brie doesn't "deserve" (honestly, she looks like she doesn't give a fuck and isn't scared one bit of nerds going after her, but still) any of this criticism, people who wonder why other actresses didn't get this unwanted attention and say it's because CM's power level challenges their manhood are a bit disingenuous.

The war these mouthbreathers started on CM/Brie only really started when Brie went pedal to the metal on feminism and representation during the press tour (which was absolutely her prerogative). She didn't tip toe into the franchise, she immediately started kicking ass and taking names. It's more a war on the actress than on the character.

It's both, actually.

On one hand, those men hate the idea of a woman being stronger than the men in the franchise, especially a woman who isn't actually that powerful in the comics. A common claim is that Marvel is so desperate to appear inclusive that Carol is just shoehorned in with little thought.

On the other hand, Brie Larson herself doesn't take shit from anyone and doesn't mince words either. She's every bit as outspoken as Chris Evans, every bit as much Carol Danvers as he is Steve Rogers, but nobody shits on Captain America because he's a guy and it's okay for him to say what he wants to. Apparently Brie needs to keep her opinions to herself because nobody cares.

Except the only people that don't seem to care are white men. Everyone else appears to be totally behind her and can't wait to see more of her, hopefully in a few years at most.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No reason it can't be both. Would you honestly say after how people lost their shit over Rey being even perceived as stronger than Luke to a non-superpowered degree, they'd be fine with a character who walked with superman levels of power that can manhandle Thanos himself?

I'd need to try and enter that mindset to see a difference and I don't want to. But I think the MCU has a stronger tradition of putting female characters in a position of power - Wanda is probably the most powerful Avenger even before CM enters the team, Hela is definitely the most powerful villain we've seen aside from Thanos (is Dormammu "male"?), Shuri is the smartest person on Earth... so I guess Rey being as good as she was was more of a shock, probably.

But Rey is a fantastic character and expecially after TLJ I've seen a lot of people change their mind on her.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

They were coming from Brie regardless, as soon as Captain Marvel for her solo movie she was a target. Her critic comments were simply a vector of "weakness" to attack from, nothing more. Her power level ticked a box in itself, Rey and Daisy Ridley got lots of shit for that - it's why Ridley left social media.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's both, actually.

On one hand, those men hate the idea of a woman being stronger than the men in the franchise, especially a woman who isn't actually that powerful in the comics. A common claim is that Marvel is so desperate to appear inclusive that Carol is just shoehorned in with little thought.

On the other hand, Brie Larson herself doesn't take shit from anyone and doesn't mince words either. She's every bit as outspoken as Chris Evans, every bit as much Carol Danvers as he is Steve Rogers, but nobody shits on Captain America because he's a guy and it's okay for him to say what he wants to. Apparently Brie needs to keep her opinions to herself because nobody cares.

Except the only people that don't seem to care are white men. Everyone else appears to be totally behind her and can't wait to see more of her, hopefully in a few years at most.

Small aside: are we really comfortable with the idea of using "white men" instead of "men" when discussing issues of misoginy, homophobia and transphobia is particularly insightful? Do we have any evidence that men of other ethnicities are more progressive? Just curious, because I've seen a few memes celebrating Carol being sucker punched by Thanos on twitter, and it wasn't white men. But that's a probably pointless digression.

As for the rest, I think making Carol more powerful than she is in the comics is a risky move from a narrative perspective but a wise one if we're talking about sending a message. When the reaction from, uhm, unsavory people is this, the best strategy is not to concede one inch. Which is why I appreciated TLJ didn't nerf Rey one bit and actually has her do even more impressive things with the Force.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Did Scarlett ever got this kind of treatment for being Black Widow?

Well I suppose since Black Widow is so far down in terms of power ranking, she didn't receive any, huh, unlike Brie's Captain Marvel who is one of the strongest if not the strongest.
Another difference, aside from the power ranking, is that Black Widow has never been the focus of a movie. Black Widow has always played second fiddle to male characters, except maybe in Endgame.

- Iron Man 2: She was introduced as 'the hot new assistent' and later as 'the hot spy helping Iron Man'
- The Avengers: She was one of the 'lesser' members of The Avengers and her main contribution to the plot was getting Clint Barton back
- Winter Soldier: Probably the strongest her character has been, but still mainly Captain America's sidekick
- Age of Ultron: The worst treatment of her character, with her being sidelined as love interest for Bruce Banner
- Civil War: I honestly don't remember much of her role in Civil War, despite seeing the movie again a few weeks ago
- Infinity War: Didn't really do much for the entire movie, except when she suddenly got a power-boost to beat Proxima.

Endgame is the movie where she probably had the most agency, with her being the one that coordinated the post-snap clean-up and kept some idea of "The Avengers" together, though I've read some feminist articles complaining about the death of her character in the movie being once again a "female character has to die so the male characters can succeed"-plot.

It's gonna be interesting to see what's going to happen with the Black Widow movie though, especially since the director (Cate Shortland) is a very prominent feminist filmmaker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me no one came in this thread to criticize her movie.

Brie rocks and the armies of incels alt right dipshits are stains on humanity.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing to think or discuss actually because the movie makers and Feige themselves have said that she is the most powerful. And Thor with stormbreaker is still weaker than Thanos, the only reason he managed to hit Thanks was because he caught Thanos off guard, as confirmed by the directors. All these things I'm saying are straight from the makers and there's no speculation or thoughts here.

It wasn't really the "power of a star" despite the dialogue from Etri it was more like an energy blast from the star that heated up the forge. And iirc bifrost only works between the 9 realms.
Like I said, maybe she will become the most powerful, but as of right now, based on the movies so far, I have to say Dr. Strange is the most powerful. He has shown to have the power equivalent of 3 infinity stones(Space, Time and Reality).

Captain Marvel is the most physically powerful but Dr. Strange is just OP af.
Please tell me no one came in this thread to criticize her movie.

Brie rocks and the armies of incels alt right dipshits are stains on humanity.
The movie was good, a mid-tier MCU movie, above the first 2 Thor movies, IM 2, Hulk etc, but not quite as high as the GotG or WS. People who say it was bad either just hate marvel or want it to be bad.

Also wtf with some people (not the ones I quoted) and the unmarked endgame spoilers in here?

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
It's gonna be interesting to see what's going to happen with the Black Widow movie though, especially since the director (Cate Shortland) is a very prominent feminist filmmaker.

Her solo movie is likely going to be the best chance BW has to develop, as she's the "hero" for once and will have lower stakes so she's more useful in the narrative. I agree Winter Soldier was her at her peak.

dudefriend

Banned
Apr 27, 2019
wtf did she even say or do to bring this on? was it literally just commenting that the press pool lacked diversity?

i really have to assume a huge portion of the people constantly melting down about this culture war shit are pre-teens

kids who have raised themselves thinking that anything goes on the internet and that it's all for the lulz and that everyone is fair game

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, maybe she will become the most powerful, but as of right now, based on the movies so far, I have to say Dr. Strange is the most powerful. He has shown to have the power equivalent of 3 infinity stones(Space, Time and Reality).

Captain Marvel is the most physically powerful but Dr. Strange is just OP af.
I mean even now that's not the case when considering MCU still.
Your argument that he went toe to toe with Thanos is not much when you consider that IW Thanos was not even trying to kill people and yet no one could even land one hit on him except Tony let alone match him. Immediately after he left Titan he walks up to Vision and just traps everyone getting in the way, there's no bigger proof of his passiveness than that.

Additionally this Captain Marvel is not a newbie and can turn binary already, she's been doing her thing for like 3 decades. Far longer than Strange did his stuff. So it's not like she's going to hit any more of her secret potential that'll put her beyond her already overpowered status.

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
wtf did she even say or do to bring this on? was it literally just commenting that the press pool lacked diversity?

i really have to assume a huge portion of the people constantly melting down about this culture war shit are pre-teens

kids who have raised themselves thinking that anything goes on the internet and that it's all for the lulz and that everyone is fair game

This is what she said. It's not controversial in the slightest.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I assume that these people are mostly adults actually. "For the lutz" people would be people who are actually in their late 20s and mid 30s now, according to when such behaviour was popular.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
It's mostly from guys in the US, right? I talked to different people here in Germany and no one had a problem with her (only some things with the plot, but nothing misogynistic).

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean even now that's not the case when considering MCU still.
Your argument that he went toe to toe with Thanos is not much when you consider that IW Thanos was not even trying to kill people and yet no one could even land one hit on him except Tony let alone match him. Immediately after he left Titan he walks up to Vision and just traps everyone getting in the way, there's no bigger proof of his passiveness than that.
He did just as well one v one as Captain Marvel, who aside from withstanding a head butt as she absorbed the power of the space gem, got flung around like a rag doll by Thanos. And Thanos was working hard to kill Strange in their fight cuz Strange had the Time Stone.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
It's mostly from guys in the US, right? I talked to different people here in Germany and no one had a problem with her (only some things with the plot, but nothing misogynistic).

Europe isn't perfect, but the MRA/alt-right shit online are mostly Americans yeah.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Larson comes off as an annoying personality sponge but there's nothing inherently wrong with her views like...at all.

I hope there's a Storm solo movie at some point in the future to really really address feminist issues

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Europe isn't perfect, but the MRA/alt-right shit online are mostly Americans yeah.

Unfortunately I have seen this phenomenon imported from the US to the Netherlands though. It is not as big as in the US of course, but I have noticed an increase in terms like SJW and shit like that.

However in the theatre everyone just fucking loved Carol. Both in Endgame and her own movie

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

The worst tripe regurgitated tripe I've read about CM and Larson in particular (including the usual conflating "issues" with her movie with "consideration" on her physical attractiveness) wasn't in english, so... I wouldn't bet on that.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Unfortunately I have seen this phenomenon imported from the US to the Netherlands though. It is not as big as in the US of course, but I have noticed an increase in terms like SJW and shit like that.

However in the theatre everyone just fucking loved Carol. Both in Endgame and her own movie

True, Dutchy as well and it's been on the rise unfortunately.

I geuss its partly due to the focus the world has on the US and the rise of right wing populists like Baudet.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell buddy just saying my opinions, doesn't make me as bad as those neckbeards who hate her because she dare question hegemony.

Did I say that.

I merely asked why you;d bother opening up with shitting on her.

But fair enough

You totally come off as an annoying personality sponge

But that doesn't mean you can;t have opinions.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That moment at the end of endgame spiked the lady haters something rotten
Just look at the thread made about it, it rivaled the Star Trek Discovery one in terms of dudes that consider themselves "woke" rationalizing their hate for women in leading roles in "their" nerd shit.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Fucking hell buddy just saying my opinions, doesn't make me as bad as those neckbeards who hate her because she dare question hegemony.
People are just tired of all the "yeah she sucks BUT" posts in threads like this one and the one about Marie Kelly Tran getting harassed off the internet. No one cares that you think she sucks, and it's not relevant. Really just makes people question why you felt it was necessary to get your own hit in on her in a thread about constant harassment directed at her.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It would help if the people saying "I don't like her personality" or whatever would actually say what they don't like about her.

Atleast with Gal Godat, people can point to her support of IDF as something they take issue with her personally. The fuck did Brie Larson ever do?

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
People are just tired of all the "yeah she sucks BUT" posts in threads like this one and the one about Marie Kelly Tran getting harassed off the internet. No one cares that you think she sucks, and it's not relevant. Really just makes people question why you felt it was necessary to get your own hit in on her in a thread about constant harassment directed at her.
...and?

That's your own grievances dude. I'm gonna say what I want to say. You can just...yknow...not even acknowledge me if you want.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Idiots that dont know shit. Brie / C.Marvel is one of the best things to happen in the MCU recently. Her character is awesome and Brie is an amazing actress.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
...and?

That's your own grievances dude. I'm gonna say what I want to say. You can just...yknow...not even acknowledge me if you want.
You can have grievances, I'm just curious to know why you have them, and why you feel the need to state them in this context where the actress is being personally attacked and defamed.

I mean, if you feel so strongly about this grievances that you'd state them in this manner, I imagine there must be reasons. Brie Larson must have really done something bad to inspire such distaste. I want to know what it is.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
You can have grievances, I'm just curious to know why you have them, and why you feel the need to state them in this context where the actress is being personally attacked and defamed.

I mean, if you feel so strongly about this grievances that you'd state them in this manner, I imagine there must be reasons. Brie Larson must have really done something bad to inspire such distaste. I want to know what it is.
Catharsis.

I've seen interviews and she just seems so dry. The human equivalent to cottonmouth.

I'm stating it purely that even if I'm not a fan, I do support her opinions and the issues she's raising 100% which shows yknow its fine to be half and half on the matter and that I disprove HEAVILY of what those dipshit misogynists think.

We cool with that?