• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
...well...she's a celebrity so in the big picture, my comments don't matter.
So is Kelly Tran. Look what happened with her.

No one says you have to like her, and you are free to express that dislike, but it's simple tact to be mindful of where and how you express that dislike.

So. Do you think expressing that dislike in the way you did, here in this thread of her getting harassed, was the most tactful way of expressing that dislike?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I'm poking fun at myself dude.

51617.jpg

it does look like fun, poking yourself

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Look at the never ending hate Amy Schumer receives. I expect Brie will get similar treatment.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
People are just tired of all the "yeah she sucks BUT" posts in threads like this one and the one about Marie Kelly Tran getting harassed off the internet. No one cares that you think she sucks, and it's not relevant. Really just makes people question why you felt it was necessary to get your own hit in on her in a thread about constant harassment directed at her.

This. Why the hell are people still doing this crap? "I thought her performance was terrible BUT...", "She was the worst part of the movie BUT..."

You are no better than those people that are hating on these women. You say they don't deserve the vitriol but then proceed to take a jab at them. Come on now.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
So is Kelly Tran. Look what happened with her.

No one says you have to like her, and you are free to express that dislike, but it's simple tact to be mindful of where and how you express that dislike.

So. Do you think expressing that dislike in the way you did, here in this thread of her getting harassed, was the most tactful way of expressing that dislike?
You got me lmao.

I dunno...maybe I'll just learn to keep my exact personal thoughts to myself and try not to misplace them.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking Christ. If you don't want people to think you're an asshole, don't come into this thread explaining why you don't like her. There are 500 other places to vent off your manbaby insecurities.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Press junket interviews are a great place to gauge someone's personality and character.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
people putting so much thought into whether or not they like a celebrity (and this is me giving them the benefit of the doubt that they don't just hate her cause she is a woman) is just so foreign to me. do people really think about these things so much? is it really such a huge deal to them? it just boggles my mind.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was so hoping somewhere in the movie her character would say "You should smile more" to one of the male superheroes, maybe even Captain America at the start when they have a slight disagreement.

I so wanted something like that but at least the scene we got of all the female characters making an offensive push together near the end was there.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
In fairness, Captain Marvel feels like she's deliberately designed to attack fragile masculinity. She's the strongest avenger and she isn't shy or bashful about being the strongest avenger.

Which in my opinion is long past overdue and I'm happy to have it. Wonder Woman was great and Rey is fine as the protagonist of the ST, but both of them are protagonist that happen to be strong women and are trying to get through their stories like they are normal superhero stories. Captain Marvel feels like the first female hero that's written from the perspective of someone who knows they're gonna be super critical about the fact that a woman is powerful, and instead goes "You know what? Fuck you. Fuck you if you think I'm too powerful, fuck you if you think I am too 'aggressive' or that I should smile more. I'm gonna be a super power fantasy and then I'm gonna rub it in your face about it, because fuck you"

I think that's what I love about Captain Marvel more than anything. It's refreshing to have a female hero that doesn't just ignore fragile masculinity, but also mocks and belittles it.
giphy.gif

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
These are the same people that go on and on and on and on about "outrage culture". Only outrage culture is insecure neckbeard fucks.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She had amazing screen presence in Avengers. Her very first shot, she looked so imposing. When Thor calls back the Hammer to try and scare her and she just stands there all cool, I was like wow, I need to see Captain Marvel.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
These are the same people that go on and on and on and on about "outrage culture". Only outrage culture is insecure neckbeard fucks.

Schadenfreude is a hell of a drug. People who spew all kinds of garbage like this are really just incredibly dissatisfied with their own lives so instead of doing something about that, keeping their side of the street clean, they lean into acting like complete and utter fuckwits.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This "body language expert" from the article is the same that did several videos on Christine Blasey Ford during the Kavanaugh hearing. Looking at the channel it's everything you expect: criticising Pelosi, Schumer, AOC etc

These idiots eat that up, it's the most obvious propaganda.

Watch this and tell me this is an "expert"

But the body language "expert" is a woman. Checkmake libs

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
She had amazing screen presence in Avengers. Her very first shot, she looked so imposing. When Thor calls back the Hammer to try and scare her and she just stands there all cool, I was like wow, I need to see Captain Marvel.
The best is the little eye squint she does towards him after the axe flies into his hand.
She is all "What are you trying to do? You starting something?"

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In fairness, Captain Marvel feels like she's deliberately designed to attack fragile masculinity. She's the strongest avenger and she isn't shy or bashful about being the strongest avenger.

Which in my opinion is long past overdue and I'm happy to have it. Wonder Woman was great and Rey is fine as the protagonist of the ST, but both of them are protagonist that happen to be strong women and are trying to get through their stories like they are normal superhero stories. Captain Marvel feels like the first female hero that's written from the perspective of someone who knows they're gonna be super critical about the fact that a woman is powerful, and instead goes "You know what? Fuck you. Fuck you if you think I'm too powerful, fuck you if you think I am too 'aggressive' or that I should smile more. I'm gonna be a super power fantasy and then I'm gonna rub it in your face about it, because fuck you"

I think that's what I love about Captain Marvel more than anything. It's refreshing to have a female hero that doesn't just ignore fragile masculinity, but also mocks and belittles it.

The flipside is that they've sacrificed her character in the process because there's really not much beyond that, expecially in EG.

So in the end she does feel like a character written for men, just not for titillating men or appeasing men but for bashing men (men fully deserving to be bashed), and while we may gleefully enjoy watching misoginists embarass themselves trying to fight back the CM phenomenon, I really do hope in the future Larson (who's an amazing actress) is allowed to work on the character in the same way Evans or Downey Jr were allowed to and not be stuck playing a political statement. Because honestly I want to be able to watch her movies with my daughters one day without having to tell them "She's not really a character for you, she's a character to rub it in the face of the bad men".

Edit: to better explain what I mean, it would be a shame if the character ended up being more about enraging a certain audience instead of pleasing another. We don't need to give those people so much attention. Make Carol about her fans, not her detractors. A power fantasy, not a revenge fantasy.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The flipside is that they've sacrificed her character in the process because there's really not much beyond that, expecially in EG.

So in the end she does feel like a character written for men, just not for titillating men or appeasing men but for bashing men (men fully deserving to be bashed), and while we may gleefully enjoy watching misoginists embarass themselves trying to fight back the CM phenomenon, I really do hope in the future Larson (who's an amazing actress) is allowed to work on the character in the same way Evans or Downey Jr were allowed to and not be stuck playing a political statement. Because honestly I want to be able to watch her movies with my daughters one day without having to tell them "She's not really a character for you, she's a character to rub it in the face of the bad men".

Edit: to better explain what I mean, it would be a shame if the character ended up being more about enraging a certain audience instead of pleasing another. We don't need to give those people so much attention. Make Carol about her fans, not her detractors. A power fantasy, not a revenge fantasy.

Sorry, but I don't buy it at all that she was written for the men who hate her in a way to taunt them. Big stretch.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
What gets me is all the views those stupid videos get. If they weren't popular, basement dwellers wouldn't be rolling them out on an assembly line. I don't know a single person who's regurgitated this shit. When I saw CM in theaters, there were more guys wearing Carol shirts than women and everyone had a good time and people did nothing but cheer when she showed up in Endgame. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and these people are fucking pathetic incels who have nothing to offer -- they're also too stupid to understand that their self-loathing is being monetized. It's depressing to realize how much this faction of utter losers has grown.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lol glad to see we're still getting posts prefaced with "she's annoying and her personality sucks but" in a thread about harassment/misogyny

Fuckin' hell

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017

But why is she being held to a higher standard? I don't remember these types of complaints being lobbed at the other characters. She's had one movie and a few minutes of screentime in another.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Catharsis.

I've seen interviews and she just seems so dry. The human equivalent to cottonmouth.

I'm stating it purely that even if I'm not a fan, I do support her opinions and the issues she's raising 100% which shows yknow its fine to be half and half on the matter and that I disprove HEAVILY of what those dipshit misogynists think.

We cool with that?
"Human equivalent to cottonmouth"?

Who tf talks like this lmfao

InspectaDekka the posting equivalent to

D1358_4_018_0004_600.jpg

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sorry, but I don't buy it at all that she was written for the men who hate her in a way to taunt them. Big stretch.

No, I don't mean it like that. But her initial arc was about her overcoming prejudice and social norms and all that, which is great and all, but it feels like before you can portray a powerful female character you need to pay the "misoginy tax" and make her story about overcoming uglyness and discrimination.

What I mean is that I hope in the future Carol will be able to develop as a character in stories that are about her, about her enemies, about the story itself and not about having to deflect or fight negative attention from idiots. Captain America and Thor and Iron Man had the luxury movies that were about their characters, not some metacommentary about their gender or its representation in media. She doesn't "owe" those people the attention, so to speak. Just let her be a character.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017

See, I don't feel that she'd deliberately designed to attack fragile masculinity, I feel that fragile masculinity is always looking for something to be threatened by. I didn't even get the sense that she mocked it.

All she did was show up and win. Sad, sorry people feel threatened by that because they don't or just plain don't WANT to do anything that might cause a second of self reflection. They're 'pissed' because the new frontrunner of a global mega success doesn't look or act like them, when pretty much every other single time before, that frontrunner has looked like them in some form or another. Mostly just that they had dicks and were white. But getting back to them being 'pissed'...I think it's just them lashing out at what they fear.

Which, as we all know, is kinda at core for plenty of Marvel Comic's work in the past. But I guess feeling threatened forces them to ignore that.

And that's not even getting into the actual MRA fuckheads. They're just malicious, bad people.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Can always count on you to come up with a stupid take.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
But why is she being held to a higher standard? I don't remember these types of complaints being lobbed at the other characters. She's had one movie and a few minutes of screentime in another.

It's the opposite. Movies about Captain America never had to waste a second on metacommentary or deflecting attention from idiots. Her movies shouldn't either.

I'm speaking as a father her, but I wouldn't want my kid to watch Captain America and see a movie about Captain America, and then have my daughter watch Captain Marvel and have to go through metacommentary about uglyness she hopefully won't be exposed to.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Catharsis.

I've seen interviews and she just seems so dry. The human equivalent to cottonmouth.

I'm stating it purely that even if I'm not a fan, I do support her opinions and the issues she's raising 100% which shows yknow its fine to be half and half on the matter and that I disprove HEAVILY of what those dipshit misogynists think.

We cool with that?
The fuck is this..

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No, I don't mean it like that. But her initial arc was about her overcoming prejudice and social norms and all that, which is great and all, but it feels like before you can portray a powerful female character you need to pay the "misoginy tax" and make her story about overcoming uglyness and discrimination.

What I mean is that I hope in the future Carol will be able to develop as a character in stories that are about her, about her enemies, about the story itself and not about having to deflect or fight negative attention from idiots. Captain America and Thor and Iron Man had the luxury movies that were about their characters, not some metacommentary about their gender or its representation in media. She doesn't "owe" those people the attention, so to speak. Just let her be a character.
I don't really see this, but I could be missing something.

Lmfao

Who tf talks like this
The same kind of person who uses "tf"?

Nothing wrong with the way that person wrote even if what they wrote was bullshit.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

This is really wrong.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017

I really have no clue how someone can come away from this movie thinking "she does feel like a character written for men, just not for titillating men or appeasing men but for bashing men."

I mean, who leaves the movie thinking this??? I feel like you need serious ego or insecurity issues to actually walk out of this film and think, "they just wanted to make a men-bashing character."

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's the opposite. Movies about Captain America never had to waste a second on metacommentary or deflecting attention from idiots. Her movies shouldn't either.

I'm speaking as a father her, but I wouldn't want my kid to watch Captain America and see a movie about Captain America, and then have my daughter watch Captain Marvel and have to go through metacommentary about uglyness she hopefully won't be exposed to.
Captain America had commentary on war propaganda...

What's next, you're going to to say Black Panther shouldn't have had commentary on racism or colonialism? The idea that Captain Marvel was done a disservice because the movie had something to say about sexism and misoginy is such an incredibly dumb take.

Most of these movies have had themes/ something to say on certain topics.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Captain America had commentary on war propaganda...

What's next, you're going to to say Black Panyher sgouldnt have had commentary on racism or colonialism? The idea that Captain Marvel was done a disservice because the movie had something to say about sexism and misoginy is such an incredibly dumb take.

Most of these movies have had themes/ something to say on certain topics.

I think Black Panther is a good example of a movie that has meta commentary but is also fully about focusing on its audience and nobody else. Black Panther doesn't waste a single second of attention for the people who would inevitable hate Black Panther.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017

I'm a father of a daughter, too, and I know she'll be exposed to a certain degree of that ugliness. I'm glad that the movie went out of its way to depict the systematic sexism that women have to deal with and what my kid has already experienced to some degree. There's a bit of that ugliness in your posts as well, as veiled as it is.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really have no clue how someone can come away from this movie thinking "she does feel like a character written for men, just not for titillating men or appeasing men but for bashing men."

I mean, who leaves the movie thinking this??? I feel like you need serious ego or insecurity issues to actually walk out of this film and think, "they just wanted to make a men-bashing character."

I was mostly commenting on the statement that appreciated CM being a heroine who "rubs it in the misoginist's faces". Honestly I wasn't too fond of CM (the movie) because of the way it was structured and how it basically introduced Carol as a character in the very last leg - which is why I had high expectations for her in EG, but (understandably) she has very little to do or say (mostly, to say) in EG so I was slightly disappointed. I was expecting the movie to prop her up a bit more as the future leader of the team.

She's not a "man-bashing" character, but her origin story is definitely about overcoming prejudice and discrimination. She did, now I'd want her to be able to be portrayed in stories that are about her and not about what the world thinks about her, just that.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm a father of a daughter, too, and I know she'll be exposed to a certain degree of that ugliness. I'm glad that the movie went out of its way to depict the systematic sexism that women have to deal with and what my kid has already experienced to some degree. There's a bit of that ugliness in your posts as well, as veiled as it is.

Such as? The idea that I don't think that whoever writes stories about Captain Marvel should concern himself with how ugly people will feel about them any more than those who wrote stories about Captain America?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
She's not a "man-bashing" character, but her origin story is definitely about overcoming prejudice and discrimination. She did, now I'd want her to be able to be portrayed in stories that are about her and not about what the world thinks about her, just that.

It's about her coming to terms with and confronting her emotional abuser

Did you know that a lot of women find that relateable?!