• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Why the fuck does the first page of this thread look like the flood of Instagram and Facebook comments on every Captain Marvel related piece of media?

Did I miss something?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I am confused. Was THIS post sexist, or other posts that culminated in this post?

No. It's not a stretch.

You are complaining about Brie Larson's face. Not her acting. Her actual face. These are stills. I can pull stills from any of the Marvel male actors and demonstrate the same thing, like so:

PwC9L32.png

RDJ is an excellent actor, but you can't tell from this. It looks like he just wanders through the films staring pointedly, right? This is cherry-picking. And worse, it's something that's done to women with regard to their resting faces every day, so much so that the phenomenon has a name. (And it's why you rarely see similar critiques about men.)

As the owner of a resting bitch face myself, I cannot tell you how often I have been told to "smile more" or to "show more emotion." It's been so constant in my life that I have spent time training my face to exaggerate responses. Not acting, mind you (and I took enough acting classes that I know the difference), but to adjust my face to please others so that it wouldn't impact me professionally. Otherwise I hear I'm "intense." Or "intimidating." I'm "confrontational." I need to be "more pleasant." When the reality is that I'm just focused and driven, but because I don't smile more, I am automatically less. And that is the product of a sexist culture that views women through very particular lenses, full stop.

Critiquing Brie Larson's performance is completely legit. You can like it or not, as with any other movie (I, personally, did not like either Ant-Man films, while we're talking about the MCU; they both bored me and the jokes fell flat). But you also need to understand that this film, much like the latest Star Wars films, exists within the context of huge numbers of "fans" who attack the films not for any legitimate reason (separate from actual criticism) but in order to review bomb, harass, and remove women in roles of power. One of the tactics that has been used with this film in particular is dragging Brie for her facial expressions. That's where this image comes from.

So you find her performance wooden? Okay. Understand the context around that, though. Understand where image collages like the one that was posted come from and why there is a sexist association with such an image. While you're at it, try a Google image search of Brie Larson and you'll see how often she makes those expressions naturally because that is her face, and that's how faces work. She doesn't smile enough, and she knows you think so.

No one posting in the thread lives in a vacuum. Every one of you is at least moderately aware of issues that touch on this because you exist in the world, even if you're not familiar with the particular toxic fan-based and/or sexism-based attacks on this film and on Larson. And if you really think that you're not aware, maybe take a second and read the wealth of posts here that have pointed out exactly what's been going on and why it is indeed an issue, and further, why these kinds of critiques are very difficult to untangle from the sexist attacks. No one's saying don't critique her. What's being said is: critique with an awareness, not only of what's been happening, and of the wider social context, but maybe with an eye toward exploring your own inherent biases as well.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
She is an amazing actor, though. We can talk about women of colour needing more roles, sure, but "far better" is not a fair position imo.

She is a great actor.
I didn't care for the way she performed in Captain Marvel, although that could be a directors choice. There are always great white male actors, I don't see the need for more of either for the next trilogy as the main.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't care for the way she performed in Captain Marvel, although that could be a directors choice. There are always great white male actors, I don't see the need for more of either for the next trilogy as the main.
I agree with you, more people of colour need prominent roles. Hell, we need more Hollywood productions based around the lives of people of colour, or with the bulk of the cast made up with them.

My issue is with people calling her bad, if you've only seen CM and say this you really should check out some of her other films.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A little confused by what you're both asking...

That collection of images is 100% rooted in sexism. The usual man-children scraping for ways to frame Brie as a bad actress by cherry picking a bunch of images and saying that's all she can do.

i dont think its right to outright ban someone for using a seemingly innocuous picture of screen grabs from a movie they may have found on google images

a week ban for "sexist commentary" for that post is ridiculous, unless the mods have some kind of info we dont about McPaul's motivations

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The general public by and large is clueless as to how movies are actually made.

They see one snippet of Jim Carey ad-libbing the "man on the moon" line from Dumb & Dumber and think all movies are made that way all the time with people just showing up on set and winging it.

In actuality, stuff like that is rare and it's included in BTS features because of that reason. Actors play what's on the page, and even directors do not have that much leeway. Their job is to bring what's on the page to the screen, literally, not just "well I'll just completely change this plot point on the day of shooting".

astro

Oct 25, 2017
i dont think its right to ban someone for using a seemingly innocuous picture of screen grabs from a movie they may have found on google images

a week ban for "sexist commentary" for that post is ridiculous, unless the mods have some kind of info we dont about McPaul's motivations
Read the post above that clearly breaks down why pushing that bullshit deserves action.

It IS sexist commentary.

Oct 26, 2017
No. It's not a stretch.

You are complaining about Brie Larson's face. Not her acting. Her actual face. These are stills. I can pull stills from any of the Marvel male actors and demonstrate the same thing, like so:

PwC9L32.png

RDJ is an excellent actor, but you can't tell from this. It looks like he just wanders through the films staring pointedly, right? This is cherry-picking. And worse, it's something that's done to women with regard to their resting faces every day, so much so that the phenomenon has a name. (And it's why you rarely see similar critiques about men.)

As the owner of a resting bitch face myself, I cannot tell you how often I have been told to "smile more" or to "show more emotion." It's been so constant in my life that I have spent time training my face to exaggerate responses. Not acting, mind you (and I took enough acting classes that I know the difference), but to adjust my face to please others so that it wouldn't impact me professionally. Otherwise I hear I'm "intense." Or "intimidating." I'm "confrontational." I need to be "more pleasant." When the reality is that I'm just focused and driven, but because I don't smile more, I am automatically less. And that is the product of a sexist culture that views women through very particular lenses, full stop.

Critiquing Brie Larson's performance is completely legit. You can like it or not, as with any other movie (I, personally, did not like either Ant-Man films, while we're talking about the MCU; they both bored me and the jokes fell flat). But you also need to understand that this film, much like the latest Star Wars films, exists within the context of huge numbers of "fans" who attack the films not for any legitimate reason (separate from actual criticism) but in order to review bomb, harass, and remove women in roles of power. One of the tactics that has been used with this film in particular is dragging Brie for her facial expressions. That's where this image comes from.

So you find her performance wooden? Okay. Understand the context around that, though. Understand where image collages like the one that was posted come from and why there is a sexist association with such an image. While you're at it, try a Google image search of Brie Larson and you'll see how often she makes those expressions naturally because that is her face, and that's how faces work. She doesn't smile enough, and she knows you think so.

No one posting in the thread lives in a vacuum. Every one of you is at least moderately aware of issues that touch on this because you exist in the world, even if you're not familiar with the particular toxic fan-based and/or sexism-based attacks on this film and on Larson. And if you really think that you're not aware, maybe take a second and read the wealth of posts here that have pointed out exactly what's been going on and why it is indeed an issue, and further, why these kinds of critiques are very difficult to untangle from the sexist attacks. No one's saying don't critique her. What's being said is: critique with an awareness, not only of what's been happening, and of the wider social context, but maybe with an eye toward exploring your own inherent biases as well.
At the end of the day, I don't disagree with what you've posted....I had a whole paragraph more typed up, but keep missing the ole' moderator tag you have now-a-days. Was going to engage in some discussion, but don't want it to come off like arguing with a moderator, so I'll drop it like it's hot.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day, I don't disagree with what you've posted....I had a whole paragraph more typed up, but keep missing the ole' moderator tag you have now-a-days. Was going to engage in some discussion, but don't want it to come off like arguing with a moderator, so I'll drop it like it's hot.
I am also a poster, and a person with both opinions and experiences, responding to a thing like anyone else. But I agree that you should probably not argue about the lived experience of women with regard to sexism in general.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

It's important to note that the poster who got banned already listed "she looks weird in the suit" as a reason Brie Larson herself sucks. So there was already a tone to his posts that wouldn't exist if Brie weren't a woman.

He then posted that "she doesn't smile" collage as proof of her acting ability.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
You don't disagree with what Dr. Monkey wrote, but are afraid to post what you wrote in response because she's a mod and might ban you for it?

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
How loud is the internet? Just seems like you mostly just see how Captain Marvel or TLJ sucked but they both got good to great reviews and both were financial successes, especially CM since it was her very first appearance and she was never super popular to begin with.

If she's interested and they're interested than cool. It's always nice to see an actor actually like or love their role.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
This blatantly sexist photo has no place in this forum. Come on. She doesn't smile therefore bad!

Posting 9 stills as proof of someone's acting is dumb as hell, but why is it sexist?

I'm really trying to figure out who the "you people" constantly being referred to are. Is everyone who didn't like Brie in CM sexist?

I think she's been fantastic in just about every other role, but I don't think she worked as that character.

Is that an issue?

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Posting 9 stills as proof of someone's acting is dumb as hell, but why is it sexist?

I'm really trying to figure out who the "you people" constantly being referred to are. Is everyone who didn't like Brie in CM sexist?

I think she's been fantastic in just about every other role, but I don't think she worked as that character.

Is that an issue?
Read Dr. Monkey amazing post in this page

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I like Brie, but give me Jedi:

000260981hr-s.jpg

It would be EPIC!!!

giphy.gif

No. It's not a stretch.

PwC9L32.png

Thank you so fucking much for this post.

Personal anecdote that complements yours: my more smiling face comes mostly from my mom, but my resting face is pretty much bad ass bitch motherfucker don't mess with me kinda of face and it comes from my dad. Unlike you, that helps me in my work environment, since it makes me look driven, but I did see myself on your recollections of training one self to smile more, but that's for social environments and such. I'm a nerd goofball like anyone can tell from my posts on Era, but my game on face makes me look mean, and because I'm a man, I get benefits from that. The sexism in this world's culture is so fucking rampant and prevalent that we come from complete different backgrounds and even different countries, but my resting "bitch face" helps me with my work, and it's the other way around to you.

Brie Larson is one of the best actors working today, either men or women. She has understood the power of the message that Captain Marvel embodies to everyone in the world and is taking that role seriously. The journey of Captain Marvel has just getting started, and I'm more than eager to see where it will go next, and if Brie gets to play in Star Wars, I'd be excited as fuck;. It is about this:

tumblr_poi61d6rjv1tctq75o4_r1_540.gif

tumblr_poi61d6rjv1tctq75o3_r1_540.gif

tumblr_poi61d6rjv1tctq75o1_r1_540.gif

84d47acf7e8f25b71a55597314cf09d6.jpg

Just like Star Wars, it's not about you, y'all. It's about the new generation. It's about a generation that won't say stupid shit like looking at actors stills and calling that bad acting. It's about empowerment, and honestly, if it's rustling so many feathers and still breaking all kind of records which confirms the critical and public acclaim, it's definitely doing something right.

Is that an issue?
Because women are always told to "smile" more, and men usually aren't. We get actual benefits of looking bad ass, women are called out for looking "manly", it truly baffles me that this needs to be explained to you, there is an obvious underlying context that it's truly not hard to grasp.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bree is a good actress.

This thing going on with people wanting certain actors in certain roles just because it's going to trigger the right is really weird, just saying. It's weird with Bree and it's weird with Ariel.

Can someone else get a chance? She's already in a huge Disney role.

its becoming increasing harder not to disney intermingle, even by accident

Not really, there are plenty of people in acting or people that want to start acting.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
It cant get any worse
Resetera is ready to buy her bath water
Nah, we're fine without her.
diamond levels of hard pass.

Why do you all have such an immediate reaction to her? Your instant reactions to the simple mention of her name is the way people react to actors that have been accused of saying or doing horrible things.

Keep walking to the left, into the garbage chute, thank you Brie...

What the fuck?

What the hell is going on here? Did I miss a news item on something she did?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Bree is a good actress.

This thing going on with people wanting certain actors in certain roles just because it's going to trigger the right is really weird, just saying. It's weird with Bree and it's weird with Ariel.

Can someone else get a chance? She's already in a huge Disney role.

What the hell are you even talking about? People would love Brie because she is clearly fit for a physical role like Star Wars, besides she obviously has the acting chops to pull it off, and it's something of a rare thing when we are talking about best actor winners, regardless of gender. The girl cast for Ariel is a singer, from what I can tell, and it was rumored for months that it was going to be Zendaya, who is also a singer. Do you really think that people studios wanting these actors to feature their films or people getting excited is because it's "going to trigger the right"?

Do you understand how fucking ridiculous this sounds?

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell are you even talking about? People would love Brie because she is clearly fit for a physical role like Star Wars, besides she obviously has the acting chops to pull it off, and it's something of a rare thing when we are talking about best actor winners, regardless of gender. The girl cast for Ariel is a singer, from what I can tell, and it was rumored for months that it was going to be Zendaya, who is also a singer. Do you really think that people studios wanting these actors to feature their films or people getting excited is because it's "going to trigger the right"?

Do you understand how fucking ridiculous this sounds?

I wasn't talking about studios doing it to trigger people, I was talking about certain posts here on Resetera.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I wasn't talking about studios doing it to trigger people, I was talking about certain posts here on Resetera.
And what "certain posts here on Resetera" means to the whole? Brie is an Oscar winner actress that can do shit like this:

And well, this:

tumblr_pqkjr7mrjB1uk2ifm_500.gif

I don't see any working actors - either men or women - that are tailored made for Star Wars or any other big action films than Brie Larson right now.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
As great as she is, how about a POC instead?

Why is there this perception that if she gets a SW role that it'd be taken away a role from a POC? Don't castings generally specify which race a character will be? If she got a role then it'd be a casting for a character intended to be white. Much like what happened with Little Mermaid. The only other name that was tossed around was Zendaya's. It was clear that Disney wanted a black actress to portray Ariel.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well if the acting will be on par with Captain Marvel, she'll fit right in.

I think she has the more than adequete acting chops for a silly kids Star Wars movie.

48ae128d07338c73692941da7582830c9b00d49374c33aeb63f79e6add0b4173-770x443.jpg

When the internet wizards are through giving Brie Larson acting lessons, maybe they can also give Steph Curry pointers on how to shoot a basketball.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well if the acting will be on par with Captain Marvel, she'll fit right in.

Such a hot take I burned myself

If only Star Wars hasn't had multiple Oscar winning actors, directors, soundtrack artists, etc... already in it, and Brie isn't one herself

inb4 Oscars don't mean good actoressses

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. It's not a stretch.

PwC9L32.png
Thanks for doing this! It still blows my mind that some people thought that such a collage was anything other than pure trash. Still images are the easiest way to cherry pick acting in a movie, and the fact that some posters defended it is hilarious.

If only Star Wars hasn't had multiple Oscar winning actors, directors, soundtrack artists, etc... already in it, and Brie isn't one herself

Not to mention being incredibly well received by critics!

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
What the hell is going on here? Did I miss a news item on something she did?
You didn't miss anything. Like a lot of female actresses from Brie to Leslie Jones to Kelly Marie Tran, they simply attract the worst of the worst who have a chip on their shoulders over the existence and success of female actors. In Brie's case her transgression is the time when after accepting an award she chose to highlight the film industry's continued barely passing grade in regards to diversity and equal pay. Being an advocate for diversity, gender equality and representation she's a target for impotent sexists to take their rage out on. Even if this were just about her supposed lack of acting chops, there are a wealth of consistently employed male actors who are lacking in prowess but don't draw near as much vitriol & that discrepancy is extremely telling. This video (~46 Minutes) from Jack Saint outlines this behavior pretty succinctly:

Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of her detractors on here, let alone beyond ERA, are the same ones who praise Keanu Reeves for his empathy and kindness in the same breath like the "lovely" people referenced in this topic.

Last edited:

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
lmao

Gal Gadot was awesome as Diana though :(
And I agree, this isn't really about Gal Gadot or Brie Larson acting chops, it's about how the vitriol directed to these actress are based on what they are personally outspoken about. In a lot of ways, this thread reminds of me this shit:

Upon its release in March, Alita was positioned as a right-wing alternative to Captain Marvel the latter a lightning rod for aggrieved men's rights activists, alt-right internet figures and misogynists to express their respective rages at the world. With its proudly feminist marketing, and star Brie Larson always eager to talk of the importance of representation in film and media, Captain Marvel was deigned "pandering SJW crap" by alt-right celebrity Jack Posobiec, leading him to popularise a previously under-the-radar alt-right campaign known as the #AlitaChallenge to rally support for Captain Marvel's apparently apolitical, female-led rival.

Curiously, it is baffling to talk of Alita: Battle Angel as an apolitical movie. In truth, it's arguably even far more liberal in its politics than many of the "SJW" movies the #AlitaArmy have waged war against – featuring none of the military fetishism of Captain Marvel, nor the performative, widely criticised "girl power" lip service in the likes of Avengers: Endgame or X-Men: Dark Phoenix. Set in a world of extreme inequality, Alita foregrounds its characters of colour, who are forced to live amid crime and corruption and taught to deify a wealthy, exploitative city in the sky built on the backs of lower-class workers. And like many existing in poverty in modern America, one of the few means of social ascendance in Alita: Battle Angel is via competitive sports.

Its politics aren't subtle, but become even more blunt when articulated by its cast and crew. While Salazar earned little of the press attention devoted to Larson earlier this year, her repeated insistence in interviews that Alita marked a major step in Latinx representation in film weren't very different from the kind of thing Larson was so aggressively pilloried for. "We're here to stay, baby," Salazar told Variety earlier this year. "Ain't no wall going to keep us out... just being a Latinx actress at the helm of something like this in itself is a message. You know I carry my name with me wherever I go. I'm Rosa Bianca Salazar, and this is the next wave of Latino casting."

As much as the #AlitaChallenge and its alt-right backers came to be mocked and memed themselves, many of the toxic ideas that underpinned the challenge have underpinned Alita fandom in the months since. "The human race has finally crafted the most likeable female protagonist," proclaims a popular #AlitaArmy YouTube video, "one that doesn't talk down to the fans, one that is believably powerful, one that is attractive without being overly sexualised". The vlogger adds: "[She is] the perfect wife, the perfect daughter and the perfect friend."

This collection of misogynist themes, related to female likeability, "believable" female strength and regressive views on how women should express their sexuality, have echoed around the internet for years but particularly after
GamerGate. That 2014 movement, initially driven by misogynist attacks on video game journalists, quickly mutated into a means to attack women, leftists and most forms of human decency enacted both online and in public, reverberating as much through pop culture as it did politics. And they provide an exhausting soundtrack to almost every fantasy property in recent years to involve strong female characters – from the "Mary-Sue" debates that have surrounded Star Wars: The Last Jedi or Game of Thrones, ones questioning the apparent believability of female characters possessing certain amounts of physical strength or elaborately prophesied destinies, to the outrage over the "unlikeability" of Captain Marvel and by proxy Brie Larson herself. And they've sadly come to define an Alita fanbase that for the most part is celebratory rather than toxic.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
You didn't miss anything. Like a lot of female actresses from Brie to Leslie Jones to Kelly Marie Tran, they simply attract the worst of the worst who have a chip on their shoulders over the existence and success of female actors. In Brie's case her transgression is time when after accepting an award she chose to highlight the film industry's continued barely passing grade in regards to diversity and equal pay. Being an advocate for diversity, gender equality and representation she's a target for impotent sexists to take their rage out on. Even if this were just about her supposed lack of acting chops, there are a wealth of male actors who are lacking in prowess but don't draw near as much vitriol & that discrepancy is extremely telling. This video (~46 Minutes) from Jack Saint outlines this behavior pretty succinctly:

Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of her detractors on here, let alone beyond ERA, are the same ones who praise Keanu Reeves for his empathy and kindness in the same breath like the "lovely" people referenced in this topic.

Yeah.

I just don't usually see this kind of trash flooding Era. It was pretty shocking to see all the reactions just to her name and I wanted to give people the benefit of the doubt.

It's fucking gross.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
i dont think its right to outright ban someone for using a seemingly innocuous picture of screen grabs from a movie they may have found on google images

That was a sexist picture, as others explained. Nothing innocent about it.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

She's done great work in the past. Her acting in CM was doodoo though. I don't see what's wrong with that opinion, I can't think of any great actors who don't have duds.

Oscars are great. SW has been nominated for and won quite a few, typically in the sound and visual department. Can't think of any for acting, refresh my memory maybe?

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Why am I not surprised that the anti-Brie Larson and AlitaArmy trends were popularized by a nazi-apologist known for spreading fake news?!

Era is one of the few places left that isn't infested with proud racism, sexism, homophobia and fake news designed to feed these ideals. So as harsh as people claim the mod team to be, the influx of awful responses in this thread really makes me appreciate how hard the mods work to keep this site from becoming the alt-right toilet that other forums have become.

Real talk.

I will continue to patiently wait for any of the people I quoted to respond and defend their attitudes with even the most basic explanation of why they lost their shit at the simple mention of her name.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Why is there this perception that if she gets a SW role that it'd be taken away a role from a POC? Don't castings generally specify which race a character will be? If she got a role then it'd be a casting for a character intended to be white. Much like what happened with Little Mermaid. The only other name that was tossed around was Zendaya's. It was clear that Disney wanted a black actress to portray Ariel.
That's not always how it's done. Finn wasn't specifically supposed to be black.