• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still trying to get over the fact that someone compared giving Rian Johnson another Star Wars movie to reelecting Trump (a white supremacist/rapist) for a second term.

It's literally impossible for me to take TLJ criticism seriously at this point.

Says a lot about you, honestly... That you would dismiss criticisms of something you like simply because you like it.

It's almost as if taste in movies is subjective or something.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
Ideally the lead of the next Star Wars trilogy starting in 2022 would be a non-white woman lead. Would love to see someone like Gugu Mbatha-Raw as the lead of a KOTOR era trilgoy (since most are assuming the 2022-2026 films are KOTOR).
Gugu Mbatha-Raw should be in everything.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Says a lot about you, honestly... That you would dismiss criticisms of something you like simply because you like it.

It's almost as if taste in movies is subjective or something.

I feel like there's either a severe reading comprehension issue here or you are intentionally ignoring the actual point of his post. I don't even really like TLJ but I completely agree with him. So much of the hate thrown at it is just so laughably hyperbolic and absurd that it's impossible to take seriously.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
4yl56d5j92n11.jpg

You call THIS great?She had the same expression most of the movie.She looked bored or something.

this is sexist commentary?

thats a stretch

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not the only person criticizing her for this.You're the one that should grow up if you can't understand not everyone thinks the same way you do.Ignored.
giphy.gif

Still frames form various films does absolutely nothing to prove your point or add anything of value to this conversation. Hopefully you'll come back next week having learned that lesson.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's either a severe reading comprehension issue here or you are intentionally ignoring the actual point of his post. I don't even really like TLJ but I completely agree with him. So much of the hate thrown at it is just so laughably hyperbolic and absurd that it's impossible to take seriously.
Hyperbolic? How can you say that? It's not like someone compared RJ making future Star Wars films to Trump getting re-elec-oh wait.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People still showing their ass when it comes to Brie huh...

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rian Johnson is a critically acclaimed director who top tier actors and actresses clearly want to work with.....this is just a bunch of random 3-4 minute short films from different directors and these actors are not in them together. So uh...you aren't making any sense or making a coherent counter-argument.

Your poster doesn't make sense as a counter argument as that movie is a series of a bunch of shorts. Not an actual film directed by 1 director. These actors aren't all part of the same movie by the same director. See below for this "movie":
oTbzEiz.png

So trying to say this is somehow comparable as "look a big cast of stars too!" sort of thing....is just dead wrong as this is just a series of short films. These actors are not in the same movies together from a director. Not to mention the level of commitment from an actor to do a 5 minute short vs a full theatrical film isn't even close to comparable.

Last edited:

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
4yl56d5j92n11.jpg

You call THIS great?She had the same expression most of the movie.She looked bored or something.

For a second I thought these was all different characters in different movies and I was like "Hmmm" and then I realized it's the same character in one movie so this is obviously, completely pointless. She is playing a character who has a certain demeanor so it's not surprising her face would reflect that a lot of times. Come on.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I think if she got a role she should be part of the Empire, but stay as a bad guy and not turn good in the 2nd half like Captain Marvel.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking through her instagram story she was at an outdoor showing A New Hope with her jedi robes on. Seems like she's a big fan.

In fact, that lightsaber she has might be one she made at Galaxy's Edge at the opening.

She gave an interview once where she said Samuel Jackson gave her his lightsaber from the prequel movies.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
For a second I thought these was all different characters in different movies and I was like "Hmmm" and then I realized it's the same character in one movie so this is obviously, completely pointless. She is playing a character who has a certain demeanor so it's not surprising her face would reflect that a lot of times. Come on.

Annnnd people keep missing the point that she was basically a trained soldier/secret weapon who was told not to be emotional .... throughout the entire movie...

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Annnnd people keep missing the point that she was basically a trained soldier/secret weapon who was told not to be emotional .... throughout the entire movie...
Don't you get it, if you don't smile as a character who meant to be serious you must be a bad actress!

A requirement that interestingly only ever applies to women actresses.....where is the collage of pictures showing Christian Bale not smiling in Batman Begins as proof he is a bad actor?

Oh wait, that's right he is a guy so it's okay.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, how blatant can it get when we ONLY see this not smiling = bad acting metric applied to women actors but never to the countless male leads in blockbusters who play serious characters?

Where was the outrage that Bale's Batman didn't smile enough? Where was the outrage that Cumberbatch's Dr. Strange didn't smile enough? Where was the outrage that Boseman's Black Panther didn't smile enough?

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
The title and the OP picture just made me think

"Alright, Mr. Johnson, I'm ready for my close-up"
DpJ8n.gif

It would be cool to see her play something with more range in a big blockbuster series

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
4yl56d5j92n11.jpg

Hey. While you're taking a week long break from this place, check out Room (2015). Pretty good movie. As a matter of fact, I suggest that to anyone who wants to bring up this argument.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey. While you're taking a week long break from this place, check out Room (2015). Pretty good movie. As a matter of fact, I suggest that to anyone who wants to bring up this argument.

Yeah, she was excellent in the Room for sure.

But... Honestly, she wasn't great in Captain Marvel. Her character was boring, and she didn't do much with it. Not completely her fault, mind you, but she didn't exactly put forward an inspiring performance in Captain Marvel.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, she was excellent in the Room for sure.

But... Honestly, she wasn't great in Captain Marvel. Her character was boring, and she didn't do much with it. Not completely her fault, mind you, but she didn't exactly put forward an inspiring performance in Captain Marvel.
Agreed. And she is great. She was my favorite part of United States of Tara back when that was on. But with Captain Marvel, I can't tell if the character was written to be a bit stiff, if the directing made her like that, or if it was just her spin.

Last edited:

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree. Her acting was subpar and the character wasn't very interesting.

If you think the problem was the character, maybe you should watch any of her other films before you make an overall assessment of her ability as an actor. Perhaps one of the critically acclaimed ones? The one she won an Oscar for?

No, no, I think the film where she is deliberately playing a character with repressed emotions is the real barometer for how much range she is.

Agreed. And she is great. She was my favorite part of United States of Tera back when that was on. But with Captain Marvel, I can't tell if the character was written to be a bit stiff, if the directing made her like that, or if it was just her spin.

In a lot of ways the character is a metaphor. She's a woman being told that she can't show her real emotions and still be taken seriously or viewed as competent, so she's repressing them until the very, very end. It's meant to represent how a lot of women feel, except making that your introduction to a new character and making her come across that way -- really neutral and distant -- for almost the entire runtime was honestly a pretty big miscalculation. I see what they were going for, but I do think it hurt the character in a lot of ways.

I'm excited to see how she feels in Captain Marvel 2.

Oct 26, 2017
If you think the problem was the character, maybe you should watch any of her other films before you make an overall assessment of her ability as an actor. Perhaps one of the critically acclaimed ones? The one she won an Oscar for?

No, no, I think the film where she is deliberately playing a character with repressed emotions is the real barometer for how much range she is.

In a lot of ways the character is a metaphor. She's a woman being told that she can't show her real emotions and still be taken seriously or viewed as competent, so she's repressing them until the very, very end. It's meant to represent how a lot of women feel, except making that your introduction to a new character and making her come across that way -- really neutral and distant -- for almost the entire runtime was honestly a pretty big miscalculation. I see what they were going for, but I do think it hurt the character in a lot of ways.

I'm excited to see how she feels in Captain Marvel 2.
Hrm. Yeah...I like this read on it as a metaphor. When I watch it again, which will surely happen in my household, I'll have to view with that as my lens and see how it affects my opinion of it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the only person criticizing her for this.You're the one that should grow up if you can't understand not everyone thinks the same way you do.Ignored.

People like you really have no clue how movies are made. The actor plays what's on the damn page, they don't free style nearly as much as people think. If it ain't on the page, it isn't on the screen. Captain Marvel is a stoic character, she's written that way and the performance would be largely the same regardless of actor.

Brie Larson has won a fucking Oscar, she has more than enough range to play in some silly ass Marvel or Star Wars movie that requires little acting chops.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of insane that people are acting like Marvel or Star Wars movies require anything more than to be good looking. Brie was fantastic in Room, so she's clearly a great actor, but criticizing someone's ability to act in these kinds of movies is like criticizing Kristen Stewart or Robert Pattinson for their acting in Twilight.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
i didnt mind her acting but she felt a bit thor 1ish where hemsworth was just doing the same smug arrogant thing (because that's what the chaeacter required) until he decides to let go and not be anymore. it's always so weird knowing the character you see is going to be much different at the end because they have to change a lot. i can see cm2 being more pre-mind wiped by kree as cm1. i like that carol more.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i didnt mind her acting but she felt a bit thor 1ish where hemsworth was just doing the same smug arrogant thing until he decides to let go and not be anymore. i can see cm2 being more pre-mind wiped by kree as cm1. i like that carol more.

That's up to the writer and how they write the character. The actor doesn't just pull characterization out of their ass.

Case in point -- all the performances in the Star Wars prequels are as a flat as a wall, including Sam Jackson aside from Anakin which is whiny. It's written that way.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
i didnt mind her acting but she felt a bit thor 1ish where hemsworth was just doing the same smug arrogant thing until he decides to let go and not be anymore. i can see cm2 being more pre-mind wiped by kree as cm1. i like that carol more.
The film was not the best vehicle for her, I can agree with that. It was middle tier MCU, and she was obviously directed in a certain way... the film literally spells it out that she has shed her emotions.

She did just as well as all the other top tier actors in the MCU, though, in the role she was given. And most of the actors people are comparing too have had multiple films to grow their characters...

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
We've got a rich universe full of dozens of awesome alien species...lets use another human for the lead!

Is asking for a non-human too much?