• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
tenor.gif

I don't understand how you can say Brie Larson is not a good actor and then also imply Star Wars is some kind of high art. Like, those two things don't square.

Also some of y'all in here aint as slick as you think. I would love for her to be in RJ's trilogy. And for those who don't like it?

tenor.gif

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Guess what though ... there's only maybe 1 Star Wars movie with good writing. Maybe 2 1/2 if you want to really stretch it.

Relative to most of what's made today or modern Star Wars movies, TLJ isn't that badly written. Yes there are problems, but if you want to nitpick that hard you can do the same to say Avengers or the new Spider-Man.

Maybe so, that still doesn't elevate TLJ over it's own problems and it's not nitpicking, it's structural plot issues that bring it down as someone better equipped to talk about such things than me has outlined here! It's not a "compared to" problem, it's a self contained story issue!

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

I don't understand how you can say Brie Larson is not a good actor and then also imply Star Wars is some kind of high art. Like, those two things don't square.

Also some of y'all in here aint as slick as you think. I would love for her to be in RJ's trilogy. And for those who don't like it?

tenor.gif

Are we on Tumblr now? 😏

Anyway, I'd rather she was in something else related to Star Wars simply because we don't know when Rian Johnson's trilogy will start production. We know there are three movies coming out in 2022, 2024 and 2026, but if that's the trilogy from the Game of Thrones guys I'd prefer she was the lead in that.

Given how Hollywood works the minute she hits 40 she'll only get cast as the mum in movies so... The sooner the better.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
That's all well and good, but has she ever REALLY shown her fandom by starring in Star Wars-brand fan films?

Does she REALLY know the art of the 7 arts of the lightsaber?

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Wait, is this a real thing or just "hopefully she's in there" thing?

Anyways, what movie/movies do you folks think among her collection of roles that showcase her acting ability the best? I've only known her from Captain Marvel and Endgame and well, sorry to say, I am not impressed. It seems many in here are saying that she's a great actor so I'm curious what role/roles in her body of work that makes you all think that.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
She should also be captain of the ship of whatever Star Trek series or movie will come next. Quantic levels of sodium.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Ah I can finally see the OP.

I'm sure the image is just her showing off her SW fandom, but I'm sure she'd be great in any SW role if a day came where she was hired in the franchise. She's a great actress.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If she wants a role in Star Wars, cool. Go for it. Good Luck, I suppose.

...but is RIan Johnson STILL directing that trilogy? After The Last Jedi, that's like giving Trump a second, third, and fourth term.
What are you talking about lol.

TLJ was a massive critical and commercial success. Some bitter sexist fanboys had meltdowns about it? Boohoo, no one cares about them.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Her wooden acting would fit perfectly with prequel material.
I don't know what's dumber, people who only saw her as Captain Marvel and think that justifies writing off a long and storied career to call her a bad actor, or people who think her portrayal of Captain Marvel was "wooden".

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to need you to read this line before you can be in a SW movie:

"Yippie!"

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand people who didn't like The Last Jedi, but don't give me the crap like it was badly made.

If it was basically the exact same movie, scene for scene, BUT you changed the third act a bit so that Luke Skywalker physically shows up and starts kicking ass with a bunch of lightsaber gymnastics, I would bet a good deal of money a lot of the people who disliked the film would magically be slurping it down happily.

The movie's "mistake" was not giving old fart Luke Skywalker a nostalgic enough of a send off.

But that story decision aside, writing wise overall? It's way above the prequels.
This is dead on. People just can't get on over their nostalgic head canon that Luke is Goku.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
...but is RIan Johnson STILL directing that trilogy? After The Last Jedi, that's like giving Trump a second, third, and fourth term.

Yes, Rian Johnson doing another Star Wars film is just like giving a second presidential term to a white supremacist who is on video admitting to sexual assault.

That is the comparison you decided to make and you apparently did not realize how delusional and stupid it was to think that, let alone type it for the world to see.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about lol.

TLJ was a massive critical and commercial success. Some bitter sexist fanboys had meltdowns about it? Boohoo, no one cares about them.

It's Star Wars, of course it made money. TLJ was also a very divisive film which Star Wars usually isn't.

And not everyone who disliked TLJ is sexist. I think it's shit due to the way it handled Luke and a couple of plot issues.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Star Wars, of course it made money. TLJ was also a very divisive film which Star Wars usually isn't.

And not everyone who disliked TLJ is sexist. I think it's shit due to the way it handled Luke and a couple of plot issues.
It didn't just make money it had great reviews as well. Star Wars usually isn't divisive? Did you miss 1997 through 2005? People were screaming that Lucas raped their childhoods over the prequels and special editions.

Luke had more depth in TLJ than he had in any prior SW film. Luke was never some sort of badass super hero that some people made up in their heads. TLJ Luke is true to the core of Luke in the OT.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Brie Larson wasn't amazing in Captain Marvel, but I still say that was the writing. It was a mess and felt like each writer wanted to do different things with the character. The fact that Larson was able to pull it together into an altogether coherent performance is a testament to her acting skills, even if I don't think the movie was great overall.

And TLJ is my personal favorite Star Wars movie other than maybe Empire. It's a terribly uneven film, but I love what it has to say about failure and its criticism of the Jedi, which I felt is something that the series needed to handle for a while.

So I'd be all for Larson in Rian Johnson's new movies.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda annoying how if you're not that into Brie you're automatically a manchild.

I haven't really enjoyed any of her performances outside of Room.

She hasn't exactly been in a lot of popular films.

I've seen the Marvel films, Room, Glass Castle and didn't know of her in 21 Jump Street and others.

Look at her IMDB. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0488953/

I don't know how people can judge her off of Captain Marvel were she is basically Superwoman and written to be kinda mission objective and to the point, considering her origin, makes sense, she at least shows some fun and charm throughout but being strong and direct is some big no no that makes you a total bitch. I don't get the hate other than not liking her possibly perceptive arrogance being uber powerful in the films but I think that's just poor writing, like when she turns up in Infinity War, that scene is just weird.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I almost feel like it's now the progressive thing to just come here say "goddamn she's hot". She is. Rather than go on some rant screaming about SJWs which is all the rage now in nerd culture, where life is apparently a battle of the sexes and isms and proving your white nationalist masculinity. I just wanna go back to the time when you could just admit "damn, she's hot, bring it!" and that was the most controversial thing you could say. Simpler times.

And yeah, bring on more female Jedi.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I almost feel like it's now the progressive thing to just come here say "goddamn she's hot". She is. Rather than go on some rant screaming about SJWs which is all the rage now in nerd culture, where life is apparently a battle of the sexes and isms and proving your white nationalist masculinity. I just wanna go back to the time when you could just admit "damn, she's hot, bring it!" and that was the most controversial thing you could say. Simpler times.

And yeah, bring on more female Jedi.
15984957.jpg

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Free Fire, very fun movie. It's not for everyone though, as it's very, very contained and not a whole lot happens.
Will definitely check it out. Always up for more Brie.
EDIT: it also seems to have Cillian Murphy in it. Sold. Love that dude. :D

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As long as they give her better direction than they did in Captain Marvel. She can act but that movie didn't do much to show it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
How exactly did she make the MCU better?Her acting was awful in Captain Marvel.She had the same expression most of the movie and she looked really awkward in the suit.
Her acting was great and she looked awesome in the suit.

You people sure do like to rewrite reality.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not the only person criticizing her for this.You're the one that should grow up if you can't understand not everyone thinks the same way you do.Ignored.

Yeah, it's also a pretty common talking point from right-wing Youtubers whose fragile feelings she hurt.

Even in a scenario where Brie wasn't a good actress, this is a thread about Star Wars. None of those movies are some high water mark for acting.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
Yeah, it's also a pretty common talking point from right-wing Youtubers whose fragile feelings she hurt.

Even in a scenario where Brie wasn't a good actress, this is a thread about Star Wars. None of those movies are some high water mark for acting.
LMAO.So criticizing her acting makes me right-wing?Man, gtfo with that shit.
You posting this in all seriousness like you think this proves your point is as funny as it is sad.
That's my opinion.I don't care if you don't agree with it.
No it wasn't.

And there it is.

You people really aren't subtle.
Subtle about what?