• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 21, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory point of comparison over multiple posts in this thread
Yes, Rian Johnson doing another Star Wars film is just like giving a second presidential term to a white supremacist who is on video admitting to sexual assault.

That is the comparison you decided to make and you apparently did not realize how delusional and stupid it was to think that, let alone type it for the world to see.

Every time I see someone support the movie, one of the key elements is "it subverts expectations!" Those scenes with Kylo and Rey in the trailer that more or less implied they'd join forces? Subverted Expectations! Instead, it's Jedi vs Sith!.....like EVERY OTHER Star Wars movie. It's a murder mystery where the butler actually did it, and people think I should be surprised?

Now, a president who is a white supremacist who is on video admitting to sexual assault? Let's elect him president, what could go wrong? Subverted Expectations! Acting like a tyrant who subverts the constitution at every expectation? Surprise! One group hates him for that...the other worships him for it and pissing off the former. Would you like me to quote one of the users who likes TLJ because it "makes the haters salty"? Especially for defending a Star Wars movie that is highly divisive? Say what you will about it doing comercially well, it's Star Wars, it would be stupid to say it wouldn't make money.

What are you talking about lol.

TLJ was a massive critical and commercial success. Some bitter sexist fanboys had meltdowns about it? Boohoo, no one cares about them.

Some of the criticisms were sexist and bullshit. Rose's actress being sexually harassed on Twitter was absolutely not cool. Critically speaking, however, Rose's character sucked. Unfortunately, some people take that to heart a bit too much to harass her off twitter which doesn't matter as the role itself was bad from the beginning. Or would you call it sexist to criticize Rey as well?

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
Your sexism.

But honestly, we can forget about what I quoted because you decided to post a blatantly sexist meme about Brie Larson not smiling -- which could literally be done for every male actor in the MCU. So your suit comment doesn't even matter at this point.
I'm sexist for criticizing her acting?Are you off your meds, bro?Since when is criticizing a person's acting sexist?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm sexist for criticizing her acting?Are you off your meds, bro?Since when is criticizing a person's acting sexist?

Posting a collection of still photos from a film is not "criticizing her acting."

You posted an image that was created with the idea of showing "the woman doesn't smile enough."

lol

Reddit is that way champ

Oh, he's already there. The source of that photo seems to be this post:

I wonder what other comments that person has made on Reddit. Hm...

Relax people.

If the black thing under Tifa's shirt is supposed to be a sports bra, they're even bigger.

No? If it's not a problem showing basically every single male superhero shirtless, then showing Margot in her bra briefly shouldn't be a big deal either.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Posting a collection of still photos from a film is not "criticizing her acting."

You posted an image that was created with the idea of showing "the woman doesn't smile enough."

Gottem.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019

Who said that?Show me where I said that.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Every time I see someone support the movie, one of the key elements is "it subverts expectations!" Those scenes with Kylo and Rey in the trailer that more or less implied they'd join forces? Subverted Expectations! Instead, it's Jedi vs Sith!.....like EVERY OTHER Star Wars movie. It's a murder mystery where the butler actually did it, and people think I should be surprised?

Now, a president who is a white supremacist who is on video admitting to sexual assault? Let's elect him president, what could go wrong? Subverted Expectations!

Holy fucking shit.

We've reached peak TLJ craziness.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think some people honestly just hate her face. The smile more thing too which is pathetic, it's like a double whammy, they just see resting bitch face which annoys them greatly. I don't get it, she is a nice person, funny and has good things to say while also being a really good actor if you watch her smaller films.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

I like Brie Larson and I like TLJ, but this is bullshit. Just because he used a picture that was on reddit at some point does not mean he endorses the rest of what the original poster of the picture says. Even if you don't directly say it, you're making that implication. You're poisoning the well and it's a really shitty thing to do.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Now, a president who is a white supremacist who is on video admitting to sexual assault? Let's elect him president, what could go wrong? Subverted Expectations! Acting like a tyrant who subverts the constitution at every expectation? Surprise! One group hates him for that...the other worships him for it and pissing off the former. Would you like me to quote one of the users who likes TLJ because it "makes the haters salty"? Especially for defending a Star Wars movie that is highly divisive? Say what you will about it doing comercially well, it's Star Wars, it would be stupid to say it wouldn't make money.

Some of the criticisms were sexist and bullshit. Rose's actress being sexually harassed on Twitter was absolutely not cool. Critically speaking, however, Rose's character sucked. Unfortunately, some people take that to heart a bit too much to harass her off twitter which doesn't matter as the role itself was bad from the beginning. Or would you call it sexist to criticize Rey as well?
If critically speaking she "sucked" and the cloud is bad as you claim why did critics love the movie? 🤔 We aren't talking about a critically panned movie like BvS or Tranformers here.

Oh and most Rey criticism online tends to be pretty sexist. Not saying all is. But calling her a Mary Sue or thinking she is too skilled? Yeah that is sexist. As those complaints apply equally to Luke in the OT.

Deleted member 20295

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I like Brie, but give me Jedi:

000260981hr-s.jpg

It would be EPIC!!!

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I like Brie Larson and I like TLJ, but this is bullshit. Just because he used a picture that was on reddit at some point does not mean he endorses the rest of what the original poster of the picture says. Even if you don't directly say it, you're making that implication. You're poisoning the well and it's a really shitty thing to do.

He posted a picture showing a bunch of times where Brie Larson wasn't smiling as proof of her lack of acting skills after commenting that she "looks weird in the suit."

You're not being honest if you don't understand the undertones of his posts.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
He posted a picture showing a bunch of times where Brie Larson wasn't smiling as proof of her lack of acting skills after commenting that she "looks weird in the suit."

You're not being honest if you don't understand the undertones of his posts.
Then talk about those undertones. But don't try to poison the well by bringing up posts on a different site that he had nothing to do with.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
This blatantly sexist bullshit has no place in this forum, you should feel ashamed of yourself. She doesn't smile therefore bad!

Jesus Christ.
Who tf said anything about her smiling?Are some of you crazy or what?Stop putting words in my mouth.She has the SAME expression in most of the movie.That's all I said.Nothing about her smiling so gtfo with those lies.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

It's ZeoVGM. It's what he does.

I like Brie, but give me Jedi:

000260981hr-s.jpg

It would be EPIC!!!

Now this would be something

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then talk about those undertones. But don't try to poison the well by bringing up posts on a different site that he had nothing to do with.
The entire Brie not smiling/same face thing meaning she is a bad actress, which is what this image is for, is a blatant sexist attack against her. There is no reason to post that here even if he didn't mean to post it in that context (and I am not saying he did), the image itself was created for a sexist attack against Brie.

It's not hard to ask to not post sexist memes here, even if the poster posted it not realizing it was a sexist meme.

Don't think she is a good actress? Fine. But don't post a sexist meme about her not smiling equaling her being bad.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
The entire Brie not smiling/same face thing meaning she is a bad actress, which is what this image for, is a blatant sexist attack against her. There is no reason to post that here.
Holy shit!You're insane.I don't need to see toxic posts like this, so welcome to my ignore list.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Too many prequel era vibes with that photo.

But yeah, she could do SOMETHING in Star Wars.

Social Justice Wars! AMIRITE?

Dec 21, 2017
If critically speaking she "sucked" and the cloud is bad as you claim why did critics love the movie? 🤔 We aren't talking about a critically panned movie like BvS or Tranformers here.

Oh and most Rey criticism online tends to be pretty sexist. Not saying all is. But calling her a Mary Sue or thinking she is too skilled? Yeah that is sexist. As those complaints apply equally to Luke in the OT.

Because a critic looks for one thing and audiences look for another? There are movies that are critically panned/loved by audiences as well as vice versa.

It's something of a shame that legit sexist trolls bash TLJ, but it doesn't help when the movie itself is...ugh. As I recall from TFA, she does quite a lot with the Force with no training, while Luke did less with being shot at while blinded on the way to the Death Star.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because a critic looks for one thing and audiences look for another? There are movies that are critically panned/loved by audiences as well as vice versa.

It's something of a shame that legit sexist trolls bash TLJ, but it doesn't help when the movie itself is...ugh. As I recall from TFA, she does quite a lot with the Force with no training, while Luke did less with being shot at while blinded on the way to the Death Star.
She did not use the force more in TFA than Luke did in ANH. She barely used the force in TFA.

The only force move she used in TFA was pull the saber to her. Luke used it blow up the Death Star by pure feeling.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having only seen her as Carole Denvers............they could definitely get someone better

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I'm so in for her being in star wars (in fact you could put her in everything for me), put her in D & D's Trillogy (please be kotor please be kotor)! just on Rian Johnsons., he'll probably kill her off in the first 30 min just to subvert expectations

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"This person didn't deserve to be harassed or anything but also they completely suck at acting and their character sucks too and I hope I never have to see them again" has got to be the least slick way of showing your whole ass in these types of threads lol

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
She's undoubtedly a talented actress but I thought she was totally wasted in Captain Marvel.

Could Lucasfilm do any better?

giphy.gif

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"This person didn't deserve to be harassed or anything but also they completely suck at acting and their character sucks too and I hope I never have to see them again" has got to be the least slick way of showing your whole ass in these types of threads lol
The best part is they always think they are being sneaky.

Nah, we know EXACTLY what you are trying to say.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
4yl56d5j92n11.jpg

You call THIS great?She had the same expression most of the movie.She looked bored or something.
I always like when you can tell someone hasn't seen the actual film they're pretending to have issues with.

In the very first scene she's smiling and cracking jokes, the very first scene.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

What percentage of ass would you estimate is exposed by the sentiment "if you think this actor gave anything less than an exemplary performance in this one superhero movie, you're incorrigible sexist garbage and you're CANCELLED"?

Hyperbole is fun.

Dec 21, 2017
She did not use the force more in TFA than Luke did in ANH. She barely used the force in TFA.

The only force move she used in TFA was pull the saber to her. Luke used it blow up the Death Star by pure feeling.

My memory's fuzzy on a lot of TFA, but i recall her using the Jedi Mind Trick on some guards to escape from Stormtroopers/Kylo Ren.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Do it.

Fuck it. Make her the next Batman. They have shown they can't do Batman right since after Returns came out. The Dark Knight trilogy was awful.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
What percentage of ass would you estimate is exposed by the sentiment "if you think this actor gave anything less than an exemplary performance in this one superhero movie, you're incorrigible sexist garbage and you're CANCELLED"?

Hyperbole is fun.

Thankfully, that's not happening in this thread.

But you seem to take more issue with those calling out sexism than the actual sexism itself based on your nonsense reply to me earlier. So I dunno, lot of strange shit in this thread I guess.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

Hyperbole is fun.
If you're criticising Brie Larson in Captain Marvel for "having the same expression" in the whole movie then you're either:

1. A fucking idiot
2. A fucking sexist idiot

Brie Larson had a huge alt-right hate campaign thrown at her and one of the things they latched on to try and make it seem legitimate was that she was one note and not expressive in the film, which was bullshit to anyone who actually watched the movie.

Didn't like her take on the character or the movie? Fine.

You think she had the same expression most of the film? Fuck outta here with that shit.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hyperbole is fun.

Like fifteen percent of the ass, like the top of the crack