• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
He's a war criminal, I don't know him

tenor.gif

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Reminds me of this quote from Kevin Feige about Brie Larson:
Explaining why he would not consider asking a Marvel star to sand down her edges, Feige says, "You hear the stories of these old studio heads trying to control everything, and as far as I can tell, it always blew up in their faces."
If you try and make her or your stars tone their personal beliefs down, it will not work out. So good on Brie for being outspoken and not being quieted down by the studio that employs her.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...hes-doing-her-best-1185915?utm_source=twitter

Oct 25, 2017
Wait! This is what sparked such big controversy? For real? Man they better not eat some spicy food because these are some highly sensitive assholes.

There was always going to be a segment who was going to get upset at the mere existence of this movie, this controversy didn't really spark anything.

If this movie is good, it will once again do well despite the calls for boycotts etc. I wish they'd stop giving these people the oxygen they want.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how it's this bad. I don't remember Wonder Woman having this amount of backlash.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
How were people able to fake review a movie that's not out yet? Why is the option for users to review bomb even allowed yet. Shit doesn't come out until March no?

No one has faked anything. RT has a feature for movies that are not out yet, people can vote either "Wanna see this" or "Not interested". Its a meaningless stat/number/poll that no one cares about. The only RT numbers that matter are (1) the critics reviews metanumber, (2) after a movie is released users can rate it 1-10 and there's an aggregate user score.

A few hundred/thousand (there are only 14k total "interested/don't care" so far, about 55% are in the want-to-see category) apparently click not interested, and a whole bunch of internet dweebs have spun that into some sort of insanely large online troll movement.

A few hundred people saying shitty things on twitter, facebook, etc doesn't mean anything in this day and age and its really stupid how many people run with it as if it represents any sort of significant position. This whole thing is a nothing burger, I mean just look at the captain marvel trailers which have 30-50m+ views and only a few thousand dislikes (and many, many more times likes) or pre-sale numbers which are huge.

The Aladdin trailer is much more indicative of a negative backlash due to the superbowl trailers getting a lot of dislikes compared to likes.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Any mention of diversity would have probably gotten the same exact reaction from the same exact people.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't get how it's this bad. I don't remember Wonder Woman having this amount of backlash.
Alot of it started before the movie. For a couple years, Youtube use to always be recommending me videos of white dudes whining about Marvel Comics catering to SJWs and most of it seemed to be about Carol getting pushed so hard.
It's not surprising so much of that hate and anger would spill over unto the movie version.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Did not know there was even an issue like this. Are these the same dumbasses that were whining about Gal Gadot not being buff/big enough to play Wonder Woman? So weird in retrospect because any other casting wouldn't have made that movie much better..

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Wonder Woman did get backlash by the people. When a movie theatre hosted a ladies-only viewing over it the internet lost its mind.

edit: What's curious is how Aquaman seemed to be avoid the backlash, despite having a non-white lead while everyone else from Ghost Busters to Black Panther got stepped on.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, what's too wrong with there being less space for white males that outshadows the benefit of a more diverse presence? There's value in a diversity that they cannot provide by merely adding to an already highly represented demographic.

Honestly highly sceptical of win win scenarios.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Have people been saying that Brie's comments were 'she wanted to ban "white males" from seeing the movie'?

I thought it was that she wanted to have a more diverse pool of interviewers in her media tour, and that being interpreted as disdain for white men, leading to this faux outrage to excuse condemning the film.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
These folks are expert at misrepresentation and misreading.

Even the most innocuous statement can be twisted.

Let me try.

Reporter: So Brie can you tell us why you love dogs more than cats?

Brie: They're such cute small animals. I like how they're independent and generally take care of themselves.
I mean I love dogs too but they demand more attention.

Random Internet Man: Brie hates dogs because she thinks they're needy and too big and fat. She hates people who love dogs and wants them never to appear in movies. That's why there's a cat in Captain Marvel and no dogs. All dog lovers shoud boycott the film. She's such a hater. No wonder she doesn't smile.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Have people been saying that Brie's comments were 'she wanted to ban "white males" from seeing the movie'?

I thought it was that she wanted to have a more diverse pool of interviewers in her media tour, and that being interpreted as disdain for white men, leading to this faux outrage to excuse condemning the film.

So here's one of many often-unstated things about the alt-right: they assume people don't read. In fact, not only do they actively bank on people not reading/checking a source, but they actively bank on people simply taking them at face value about said source. Because after all, what reason do you have to lie about what an actress said in an interview for a fucking superhero movie, right?

So they take a story, and they alter said story, and not only do they scream outrage about the altered story out of the loudest megaphone, but they scream it out of so many megaphones that the average joe is more likely to hear their altered story than the actual story.

It's essentially a fucked-up game of telephone weaponized for the sake of social media manipulation via narrative control.

Deleted member 50969

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
People are getting scared and for a good reason. They know that if diversity is successful and keeps on bringing good directors and actors of different backgrounds, people will develop higher standards and drop them. This isn't to say that white people will disappear off screens, it just means that if you're good at what you do and you're white, you'll have to face competition just like the others.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I have to commend the interviewer on how he asked that question. It's never comfortable bringing up sensitive subjects during these kind of press events, but he cushioned it with enough context to make sure Brie Larson didn't feel ambushed, and proceeded to move on as soon as she answered the question.

Good stuff from both ends of the interview.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to commend the interviewer on how he asked that question. It's never comfortable bringing up sensitive subjects during these kind of press events, but he cushioned it with enough context to make sure Brie Larson didn't feel ambushed, and proceeded to move on as soon as she answered the question.

Good stuff from both ends of the interview.

Kevin McCarthy (the movie critic) is a great interviewer.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Seats for everyone? She must be a communist right??

Holy some people are stupid.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
These folks are expert at misrepresentation and misreading.

Even the most innocuous statement can be twisted.

Let me try.

Reporter: So Brie can you tell us why you love dogs more than cats?

Brie: They're such cute small animals. I like how they're independent and generally take care of themselves.
I mean I love dogs too but they demand more attention.

Random Internet Man: Brie hates dogs because she thinks they're needy and too big and fat. She hates people who love dogs and wants them never to appear in movies. That's why there's a cat in Captain Marvel and no dogs. All dog lovers shoud boycott the film. She's such a hater. No wonder she doesn't smile.
LMAO sounds exactly right

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I dunno where else to write this up. Was going to make a thread wasn't sure if I should or not, if this is being discussed please point me to where that is. But all I see on YouTube are videos about how Avengers Cast Hates Brie Larson, Brie Larson & Cheadle hate each other, Brie goes crazy on Hemsworth.

I watched some of these interview videos. Some look very selectively picked out with narrative spinning and some really do make it look like the cast a throwing shade at her.

Do they hate her? Is Brie actually unlikeable? Are narratives being spun to make her look intolerable? Things just suck, I usually enjoy watching the interviews by the Avengers cast?

Dec 2, 2017
I dunno where else to write this up. Was going to make a thread wasn't sure if I should or not, if this is being discussed please point me to where that is. But all I see on YouTube are videos about how Avengers Cast Hates Brie Larson, Brie Larson & Cheadle hate each other, Brie goes crazy on Hemsworth.

I watched some of these interview videos. Some look very selectively picked out with narrative spinning and some really do make it look like the cast a throwing shade at her.

Do they hate her? Is Brie actually unlikeable? Are narratives being spun to make her look intolerable? Things just suck, I usually enjoy watching the interviews by the Avengers cast?
If you have to ask....

Status
Not open for further replies.