• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thriftweed

Nov 2, 2017
Greetings, I mostly lurk around on ERA having made it across from the old site when all that went down, but seeing as I've stumbled across a thread of the homeland I figured I'd try and join in a bit more.

To the quiz!

Where do you come from? Born in the Black Country (Walsall to be specific), grew up near Bristol (the Chew Valley area to be specific again) and have lived in Plymouth since 2007
What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to? I work as a cover teacher/admin assistant/technician in a secondary school. It's half term this week, woo.
What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end? The same thing I do everyday Pinky, try to take over the world...
Favourite daytime TV show? I haven't got one, but during my first year of Uni (2007/2008) my daytime TV routine was Neighbors, Doctors, Diagnosis Murder. Then Neighbors moved to Channel 5 and fucked everything up as I couldn't get that channel in my flat.
Fish or chips? Both with a side of curry sauce
Daddy or chips? Chips
What's your tipple of choice? Thatcher's Gold
Favourite party snack? Mini sausage rolls and party rings
Who is the best bald person? It's a tie between Captain Picard and Richard O'Brien
What's your disappointing claim to fame? I met the drummer from DragonForce when buying my ticket to their Cardiff show in 2005 and asked him about posting on the MXtabs forums.
What's your perfect Sunday? Stay at home in my PJs with my family
Did you threaten to overrule him? Yes
Did you threaten to overrule him? No
It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him? Is this a Yes Prime Minister reference? I haven't seen the show

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
Quick question from someone visiting London this weekend; Can you enter Sky Garden without having a ticket?

The website isn't really helping me out.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the information, I knew it was free, but those tickets seemed to go very fast. They don't do walk-ins on Saturday and Sunday, am I right?
It's a matter of capacity. Can get very busy and they need to make sure they only let so many people up there…
Walk-ins are the times on the site that aren't ticketed so for the weekend:
Saturday: 0800-1100 and 2100-0100
Sunday: 0800-1100 and 2100-0000

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
It's a matter of capacity. Can get very busy and they need to make sure they only let so many people up there…
Walk-ins are the times on the site that aren't ticketed so for the weekend:
Saturday: 0800-1100 and 2100-0100
Sunday: 0800-1100 and 2100-0000

Ah, got it. Thanks so much, I'll see if I can get in when I'm near there.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Well the hotel we are staying at for MCM promised to bring an extra bed up 3 times today as I booked a twin room and they've finally admitted that they've run out. My friend is have to sleep on a bench in the room now...

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The Aloft, right next to the Excel. We waited 3 more hours for the bedding they promised us and then went and complained again. It's now arrived and it's a kids duvet. You can't make this stuff up!

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Anyone been to Hyper Japan in London before? Thinking about going this weekend as I'm going to be in London anyway so was wondering if its worth it and maybe booking at extra night in the hotel for.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone been to Hyper Japan in London before? Thinking about going this weekend as I'm going to be in London anyway so was wondering if its worth it and maybe booking at extra night in the hotel for.
Hyper Japan is OK for one day and especially if you are already around. Not sure staying an extra day for.
It's more like a chill day of loitering and hanging out with acquaintances for me, because the events are pretty much non-existent…

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hyper Japan is OK for one day and especially if you are already around. Not sure staying an extra day for.
It's more like a chill day of loitering and hanging out with acquaintances for me, because the events are pretty much non-existent…

Thanks. I've decided against booking the extra night on Friday so I may go on Sunday after the Band-Maid gig Saturday night.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Aldi are doing california reaper sausages

pretty damn hot, had to cook them with the window open. will have to buy a bunch of them before aldi end them

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can never remember if my town has an Aldi or Lidl. Or, for that matter, tell them apart if I'm in either one. It's just shelves of pastries and beer that I don't recognise.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aldi is good man, really great food for amazing prices. OK, so the checkouts are a bit small and you have to pack your shopping quickly, if those are the costs you have to cut I'm all for it.

Lidl is grim, can't deal with that place. Stacks of boxes piled on top of each other with garish luminous yellow signs randomly scattered about. It's like a pop-up but it's all gone a bit wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I've decided against booking the extra night on Friday so I may go on Sunday after the Band-Maid gig Saturday night.
LTTP: Did you end up going? Did you enjoy it?

I personally found it more shallow/boring every year, I had free entry the last 3 times because i was working on a Japanese company but if i have to pay, i wouldn't go anymore.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
LTTP: Did you end up going? Did you enjoy it?

I personally found it more shallow/boring every year, I had free entry the last 3 times because i was working on a Japanese company but if i have to pay, i wouldn't go anymore.

Nah I just ended up going to the Band-Maid gig (which was amazing btw) and then wandering around London with a friend on the Sunday and getting accosted by some vegans in Leicester Square while eating a sausage lol.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
Woah, activity in BritERA.

Funnily enough I just got back from Aldi, closest supermarket to me which I love 'cause Aldi is the best supermarket imo.

Aldi is good man, really great food for amazing prices. OK, so the checkouts are a bit small and you have to pack your shopping quickly, if those are the costs you have to cut I'm all for it.

Lidl is grim, can't deal with that place. Stacks of boxes piled on top of each other with garish luminous yellow signs randomly scattered about. It's like a pop-up but it's all gone a bit wrong.

If you're packing your shopping quickly at the till you're doing it wrong, hoy it all back in the trolley and go bag it at the shelf.

Agree about Lidl though, Aldi's cheap but Lidl feels cheap.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Woah, activity in BritERA.

Funnily enough I just got back from Aldi, closest supermarket to me which I love 'cause Aldi is the best supermarket imo.

If you're packing your shopping quickly at the till you're doing it wrong, hoy it all back in the trolley and go bag it at the shelf.

Agree about Lidl though, Aldi's cheap but Lidl feels cheap.

Seem to have some kind of weird blindness where I can't tell the difference between the two even if I'm looking at the sign outside. Was in a LIDL in Germany yesterday (was a LIDL, am looking at the receipt as I type), and it was like a sliding block puzzle it was so busy, move one step to the left and suddenly there's a stock replenisher trying to barge through to the produce. I'm a sucker for the Aisle of Mystery though, always tempted to pick up a chainsaw.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Do you know if they're any good? A lot of people slag off Dyson but I have their cordless V10 model and I think it's great.

All I can really say its that ive walked past one in a shop and it seemed very nice. I've heard people say they aren't worth the money but I'm kind of like you where I haven't had an issue with Dyson before so am at least willing to try it out. I just wish they were a bit cheaper.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
All I can really say its that ive walked past one in a shop and it seemed very nice. I've heard people say they aren't worth the money but I'm kind of like you where I haven't had an issue with Dyson before so am at least willing to try it out. I just wish they were a bit cheaper.

Yeah they are a bit on the pricey side but at least with the hot and cold one it could be used all year round.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'll probably get the hot and cold one as it seems to be the one recommended these days but I don't know how much I'll use the heat setting. I use my fan at night all year round. Can't stand feeling even slightly warm!

Miss Piggy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hi all, I was wondering what's happened to the London meets? I don't know if I've missed them or there hasn't been any recently?

Zornica

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
might be a weird question but... is there a reason why so many UK shops offer free shipping within the UK but can't be bothered to ship outside or to mainland europe? like not even for an additional fee?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
might be a weird question but... is there a reason why so many UK shops offer free shipping within the UK but can't be bothered to ship outside or to mainland europe? like not even for an additional fee?
Hassle maybe?

I won't ship outside of the UK when I sell on Ebay as it usually falls on me to work out the exact costs, find a company to send it, then hope it makes it all the way there.

Any issues with refunds and returns can also be a nightmare to organize, especially with Ebay buyer protections.

Not quite the same as actual stores, but I'm sure it's a similar reasoning. Just not worth the hassle for many.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone been to both Arcade Club and the new Heart of Gaming site? How do they compare?

In London for a few days with friends and looking for stuff to do but we've been to arcade club several times and don't want to bother if it's not as good

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Hey folks, coming to the end of my broadband contract and after a wee bit of shopping around, I went for TalkTalk because, frankly, their faster package was cheap as hell. It was a bit of an impulse purchase on my part as I just wanted to get it done and dusted, but I've heard decidedly mixed things about their customer service.

I'm coming from Plusnet, who've been fine, barring the odd connection issue - which might have to do more with the infrastructure as it's all via Openreach anyway, so how much of a difference will there really be outside of router quality, customer service etc?

Last edited:

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
For some reason I've been finding the heat this long weekend a lot harder to deal with than the plus 30s earlier in the summer. It's bad when I'd rather be at work than home just so I can use the AC.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Same here, the heat we had earlier in the summer i could cope with no problem. But the past weekend, it was aweful. Very close, humid and uncomfortable. Went through more t-shirts than early summer.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Hi all!

Maybe someone in here can help shed some light on something I'm struggling with.
I recently moved to London from Israel, and having some thoughts about the NHS.

Not sure why, but I somehow got it in my head that the NHS is not very good...
Would any of you recommend opting for a private health insurance to bolster it?

Theoretically, I can continue paying "health fees" to the Israeli body and then have the option to receive medical treatment there in case something bad happens, but it's not gonna be very cheap to do so.

Appreciate it!

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Didn't think this needed its own thread as the majority of Era wouldnt know who he is but has anyone else followed the Paul Gascoigne sexual assault case? I do not understand at all how he could get away with that. Sloppily kissing a stranger on a train without their consent because she was a "fat lass" who was being made fun of and needed a pick me up.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Aldi's is bringing back the grim reaper sausages from the summer that had california reaper (super hot chillis) in next Thursday.

If they're identical to last time they'll be awesome, it's rare to find sausages that are *actually* hot, rather than just claiming to be

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
Damn, thread been dead for a while, huh.

Anyway, has anyone got any experience trying to get Virgin Media to offer you a good deal? I've called up and they've offered a measly discount atm so I'm pretty pissed. I've also heard that people cancel their service and start a new account in their partner's name for the cheaper 12 month contract, but I'm a little worried about all the random charges that might be involved with that. Unfortunately the area I'm in is purely wired for Virgin atm, every other service provider is less than half speed at best, and generally even worse than that because I'm a distance away from the exchange. Thanks OpenReach.

Jaws

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, thread been dead for a while, huh.

Anyway, has anyone got any experience trying to get Virgin Media to offer you a good deal? I've called up and they've offered a measly discount atm so I'm pretty pissed. I've also heard that people cancel their service and start a new account in their partner's name for the cheaper 12 month contract, but I'm a little worried about all the random charges that might be involved with that. Unfortunately the area I'm in is purely wired for Virgin atm, every other service provider is less than half speed at best, and generally even worse than that because I'm a distance away from the exchange. Thanks OpenReach.

I called them and asked for them to remove some things from my package to bring it down after the first year, as we had the XL once which included everything, the guy on the other end of the phone just said he would keep it the same price for me rather than the £50 a month more it should of been